Squad Development 2017/18 Part 2

40 minutes ago, WestSyd said:

So I talk about the weaknesses in the playing group, and then you go on anti Gombau rant. Remember last season we got pumped a couple of times pretty badly against SFC and Melbourne Victory. The majority of the games last season were spent fading out in the second half. Even this season with Foxe we were again fading out in the second half and getting whipped pretty badly. Followed up by that tragic FFA Cup semi final where Adelaide gave us a lesson. Draws were actually a good result for us because we seemed to be hanging on in every game.

Last season we were rescued by Antonis and Janjetovic in, which in turn helped Niko find his game, and then Santa kept defying belief about his age by still scoring at an unbelievable rate. This season Antonis and Niko are gone, Santa is a year older and just keep doing it anymore, and Janjetovic is stuck with his defence. Any coach we have this year won't win anything with this playing group. The recruitment was simply poor. 

I will make my mind up about Gombau once he gets a few players he needs in key positions, and the ring leaders from this playing group have disappeared. Hopefully we will see in the new month. Those bleeding bum holes you refer to were all those times in the last year and a half we were getting raped by opposing teams in the second half of games.

Yep. I agree. So if this season is the same or on par with season 3...our worst . I'll agree that Gombau isn't the man for the job.

1 hour ago, lloydy136 said:

we were absolutely destroyed by a team that has some very marginal players like nabbout boogard and hoffman at the weekend while we have.....

- current socceroo right back
- experienced former socceroo centre back (who was excellent second half of last season)
- la liga striker who has scored the most of any number 9 we have had
- experienced midifelder who is championship quality when fit
- best sub striker in the league
- la liga right winger
- centre mid discussed a possible fringe socceroo

these same players were better than the likely league winners in 2-2 draw 6 weeks ago, many are well credentialed, experienced and absolutely a-league quality. yes they were another manager's choice but so what - any manager at this level should be able to cobble together a competent and competitive side out of what we have. so far we have been anything but.

I hardly dare argue against you Lloydy. ..but Newcastle are playing strongly and cohesively...Under a great coach...With a tonne of self belief. 

They are playing like a team...and their supporters are excited and are behind them.

They are deservedly 2nd on the ladder.

We have had none of that since the start of the season. Our team  has no confidence and cohesion.  Our players don't feel like a team.

7 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I hardly dare argue against you Lloydy. ..but Newcastle are playing strongly and cohesively...Under a great coach...With a tonne of self belief. 

They are playing like a team...and their supporters are excited and are behind them.

We have had none of that since the start of the season. Our team  has no confidence and cohesion.  Our players don't feel like a team.

we agree 100%

my post was not a go at newcastle at all. they deserve to be where they are and you are right they are everything that we aren't at the moment and frankly given what their fans have endured I am happy for them (even though I am still copping it from the couple of jets fans I know :)

they do have some marginal players - in fact if you just measured up quality for quality I think on paper we would have the advantage in at least 7 or 8 of the 11. but they have an excellent manager at this level who sends them out with a smart, well organised plan that the players can handle. that is the difference between us and them atm.

11 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Exactly 

The manager has the squad playing well to a system that works for them 

15 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

we agree 100%

my post was not a go at newcastle at all. they deserve to be where they are and you are right they are everything that we aren't at the moment and frankly given what their fans have endured I am happy for them (even though I am still copping it from the couple of jets fans I know :)

they do have some marginal players - in fact if you just measured up quality for quality I think on paper we would have the advantage in at least 7 or 8 of the 11. but they have an excellent manager at this level who sends them out with a smart, well organised plan that the players can handle. that is the difference between us and them atm.

We have players that refuse to adapt. Jumpei,Sotirio, Hamill....superstars from our stellar last season.

Edited by sonar

Fair enough to both the above replies from Lloydy and Stringer.

I think tho, there is too much in us of living in the past.

We keep falling back on past glories, and tend, unrealistically,  to face opponents like the Jets (who we'd never lost to up in Newcastle) and the Mariners, and automatically think we're going to win.

Our first few years have ill prepared us to cope with the inevitable down times, I think.

Sigh. :( 

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Fair enough to both the above replies.

I think tho, there is too much in us of living in the past.

We keep falling back on past glories, and tend, unrealistically,  to face opponents like the Jets (who we'd never lost to up in Newcastle) and the Mariners, and automatically think we're going to win.

Our first few years have I'll prepared us to cope with the inevitable down times, I think.

Sigh. :( 

It has been discussed often here about how many of the players we have had over the years have been rubbish. The threads here are full of post regarding exactly that. Go for a stroll through the Ex Players or previous match threads and you will see what I mean.

Our current situation is no different. I'm realistic enough to realise that sooner or later the bad recruitment would cost us and it is this season. If the the manager in charge now has a chance to renew the squad and get players that are prepared to adapt and put in we may still challenge. 

I'm not as fatalistic as some. The club will rebound. For what it is worth I find a lot of the criticism of the new manager unwarranted after just five weeks in the job. We HAVE played badly before the current manager, and in those games at least half of our current squad played. They didn't adapt in the  past either.

Still in for NYD....COYW

Gombau in  his first press release:

“Our first step is to build this attacking style together so that our brand of football is fast and is possession based. I like to play the way that honours keeping the ball, and I believe that this group of players at the Wanderers will take this style to another level.

We have a strong team, so I want to get straight to work…I know the players want this too. We will build on our style, we will play to win -and we will play for the people of Western Sydney.”

From the WSW web page Nov 1st:

"Gombau’s possession-based, attacking style should fit perfectly with the talent in the current Wanderers squad."

---

The Gombau appointment has all the trimmings of a classical misunderstanding. 

We don't need a new team, we need a coach who can work with a "strong team". 

Gombau is a dud. 

7 hours ago, FCB said:

“Our first step is to build this attacking style together so that our brand of football is fast and is possession based. I like to play the way that honours keeping the ball, and I believe that this group of players at the Wanderers will take this style to another level.

We have a strong team, so I want to get straight to work…I know the players want this too. We will build on our style, we will play to win -and we will play for the people of Western Sydney.”

"Gombau’s possession-based, attacking style should fit perfectly with the talent in the current Wanderers squad."

---

Gombau is a dud. 

It's never the players fault......lol   Remember this from the club.........I do..........lol

"Wanderers CEO John Tsatsimas said that Piovaccari ticked all the boxes the Club was looking for in a marquee. 
“What we have in Federico is a proven goal scorer who has performed consistently at the top level including in the UEFA Champions League, Serie B, Liga 1 and La Liga,” said CEO. 
“At 30-years-of-age and coming off a season in one of the top leagues in world football I believe we have brought in a player who will complement our team and our style with a real attacking threat.”

What a majic contribution he made to us....I'm still in ecstasy years later from all the goals........lol 

10 hours ago, FCB said:

---

Gombau is a dud. 

Geeezzzzz I hope you're wrong FCB!   :P

Time will tell I guess.  :(

Unfortunately I tend to agree FCB. 

I am also wondering how long Gombau is intended to be at WSW (assuming all does come good)?  He will take this season and pre-season (and a third of next season because there's new players) to get his philosophy in place. 

How long will he then hang around?  Does anyone else understand and know this philosophy?  It didn't last at Adelaide even with his technical director taking over who then revamped the whole thing before the team came good and won the double (because the rest of us lost the plot).  Now there's a German with a different system and the Gombau era is history.

Will that be the same with WSW?  Will we endure this painful phase, win a bit and then move onto a new and different system, which seems to make the current mess a waste of time?
Is there an expectation that this new philosophy that trumps all at the moment will be a lasting thing that will endure beyond Gombau?

Is there a belief that this is the next best thing in the A League or has football moved on?  I haven't looked closely enough but has Guardiola installed his previous Barca system at City or evolved his football?  We seem to have invested a great deal of everything into a new system that the current squad can't/won't or both deal with (I tend to think that it is a combination - players tend to suit particular styles and even work best with particular styles of coach.

I would be frustrated if I had been convinced to come across the world by Popa and what he promised only to have him disappear and chaos to reign before something completely different is installed leading to more chaos).

I suppose we shall see.  This is part of football - systems come and go.  Boards take punts on coaches and styles and coaches take punts on players that look good there but may or may not work here and sometimes an ordinary squad on paper becomes legendary on the park (WSW season 1 and ACL).

5 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Unfortunately I tend to agree FCB. 
I am also wondering how long Gombau is intended to be at WSW (assuming all does come good)?  He will take this season and pre-season (and a third of next season because there's new players) to get his philosophy in place.  How long will he then hang around?  Does anyone else understand and know this philosophy?  It didn't last at Adelaide even with his technical director taking over who then revamped the whole thing before the team came good and won the double (because the rest of us lost the plot).  Now there's a German with a different system and the Gombau era is history.
Will that be the same with WSW?  Will we endure this painful phase, win a bit and then move onto a new and different system, which seems to make the current mess a waste of time?
Is there an expectation that this new philosophy that trumps all at the moment will be a lasting thing that will endure beyond Gombau?  Is there a belief that this is the next best thing in the A League or has football moved on?  I haven't looked closely enough but has Guardiola installed his previous Barca system at City or evolved his football?  We seem to have invested a great deal of everything into a new system that the current squad can't/won't or both deal with (I tend to think that it is a combination - players tend to suit particular styles and even work best with particular styles of coach.  I would be frustrated if I had been convinced to come across the world by Popa and what he promised only to have him disappear and chaos to reign before something completely different is installed leading to more chaos).
I suppose we shall see.  This is part of football - systems come and go.  Boards take punts on coaches and styles and coaches take punts on players that look good there but may or may not work here and sometimes an ordinary squad on paper becomes legendary on the park (WSW season 1 and ACL).

The previous manger had 5 years, Gombaus has had 7 weeks.

Edited by sonar
4 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

Be interesting to see where our individual thoughts sit on the following?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8rKaFRJ-LFktZCGU46T3

Do you work in IT by any chance? 

Ok my answer 

Team InGombauWeTrust are in the peak of inflated expectation. 

Me I have been in the trough of disillusionment since the jets game (not saying I’m ahead of the curve). I’d say the team were in there too..

hopefully the team on new year’s day get going on the slope of enlightenment just in time to hit the plataeu of productivity around finals time 

And then on to the mountain top of truely sexual football, not a Gartner term 

Depression 

I don’t care if we get belted every week now, going to the games feels like a chore. SOP is soul sucking. Really don’t give a **** right now. 

Just want the season to end already. Shits me knowing we have to endure another derby hammering yet again come February... but so be it... because this crazy notion inside of me continues to convince me all of this pain/embarrassment will be worth it in the end. 

For now though, **** off. 

Edited by xxBrandonxx
  • mack unpinned this topic