mack

Squad Development 2017/18 Part 2

For mine it’s about team being better than a sum of its parts. We aren’t playing well as team at the moment bar a couple of glimpses here and there (Jets first half, Phoenix second half..).

we can do fantasy football with the squad, but I’d say Jets (while they have some good players) are an example of whole being greater than the parts. 

No way was our Acl winning team the best squad in Asia but it was the best team (or most effective)

Squad at start of season was decent But had three big problems (no 10, no attacking wide player,  centre backs)  he’s fixed 2 and made one slightly worse.

at moment he still hasn’t made a team out of t 

Anyhow next 4 games are the key for mine, I assume he’s been building toward the semis. 

This weekend is a huge game.

win this weekend and who knows what can happen? Jets are losing better players, weren’t convincing against Wellington, wheels are wobling at sydney, Adelaide and city are ok ish. Victory are shaping up well. Aloisi has Brisbane functioning now but they are beatable 

offseason is long enough without starting it now  

41 minutes ago, thefairy said:

I just called Santalab. He confirmed it is true. He thought the squad was going to win the treble.

He also told me to tell you Mack, that you owe him 20 dollars and he wants it back.

He told me that fairy is away with the fairies. 

2 hours ago, Stokz said:

Yeah fair comments, esp for Raul as LBs are tough to find in AL.

Hamill has performed decently I agree but not in the category of the Albertos, Wilko's, McGowan's, Jakobsen's prolly not even in with NTS or Bujis. 

Which would say we don't 1 have top level CB in this squad, especially one that can bring the ball out defense which is the style Gumby wants.

We had a chance to address that in Jan, especially given we had a foreign spot available. 

15 hours ago, mack said:

FFA are bringing in a "Mandatory Asian" for next season, reducing the amount of world wide foreign players to 4.

Joke of a rule. Sure when your teams in ACL it makes sense to plan and recruit accordingly. But now A-league clubs are either going to be getting crap / should be retired asian players or paying massive overs for decent ones. At the end of the day most clubs will all have been better ff playing an aussie instead who qualifies anyway in asia. Should have just kept it at 5 foreigners. 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

We had a chance to address that in Jan, especially given we had a foreign spot available. 

I think he was trying to but no one good was available or perhaps affordable.

25 minutes ago, DeeDee said:

Joke of a rule. Sure when your teams in ACL it makes sense to plan and recruit accordingly. But now A-league clubs are either going to be getting crap / should be retired asian players or paying massive overs for decent ones. At the end of the day most clubs will all have been better ff playing an aussie instead who qualifies anyway in asia. Should have just kept it at 5 foreigners. 

Disagree totally, all the other countries in the Asian federation follow this rule and we should adopt it as well. If we want to play in Asian federation you got to follow their rules. The faster we get to 3+1 the better.

I also think you'll be surprised at what the Asian players get paid in their leagues, sure the top ones get good money but the next level down is on average money.  The next level down at some Korean & Japanese clubs would be fantastic inside the cap players.

It just means our scouting/recruitment needs to be more smarter and less lazy.

We've seen even just at WSW plenty of foreigners that have been flops.

The 4 + 1 rule can be implemented next yeat because most clubs have 4 visa players except Adelaide and Perth.

The worst affected would be Adelaide as they have 3 visa players in multi-year deals with Absalonsen and Cavusevic the exceptions. Perth only have 1 player (Keogh) on a multi-year deal.

The issue with recruitment is so true. Our club has only had Japanese Asians probably because Popa played there. We have not looked at Koreans, Thai's, Uzbeks or West Asians. My very first post here was to suggest we go for a then off-contract Iranian Reza Ghoochannejhad and we were in need of a plus one and Jumpei instead.

4 hours ago, mack said:

He never painted my chicken coop!

Now we know why he isn't your mate

3 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Now we know why he isn't your mate

I hear he is not busy now ....maybe he can spare some time to paint ir:meep:

With NRMA pulling the pin on sponsorship, there won't be much to talk about in squad development next season.

Does anyone see the irony in NRMA pulling sponsorship because of our "badly behaved fans", but maintaining support for a Brisbane Broncos club that has Matthew Lodge in their playing roster?

16 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

With NRMA pulling the pin on sponsorship, there won't be much to talk about in squad development next season.

Does anyone see the irony in NRMA pulling sponsorship because of our "badly behaved fans", but maintaining support for a Brisbane Broncos club that has Matthew Lodge in their playing roster?

I reckon we will hear a new sponsorship deal announced.

We are walking billboards when we put a a jersey so if we all choose to buy a new jersey next season, then their free walking billboards will be gone. And imagine if it us another insurance company.

3 hours ago, wswtragic said:

Sounds like something to call them out on if true

22 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Unlimited , calling them out will do diddly squat....cancelling your business and taking it somewhere else and THEN telling them why is the only way they will listen or take notice.

( I'm only assuming here but in all probability the anti-football and " they're a bunch of thugs " media campaign by the likes of Hadley and co against the Wanderers has most probably spooked them.)

Meh, its the usual fear of football...you can get drunk and commit a home invasion, bash your girlfriend no probs...but some flares and some ethnics singing and jumping and its a step too far...

7 hours ago, Unlimited said:

It's true alright. NRMA have said that Lodge "deserves a chance".

But those "thugs" with marine distress signals are a bridge too far apparently.

3 hours ago, GD07 said:

Did JG have marquees at Adelaide?

No.

5 minutes ago, FCB said:

No.

Wasn’t carrusca a marquee there? 

As for talk of no marquees, yes that went well last year didn’t it?

25 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Wasn’t carrusca a marquee there? 

Hmmm.

Not in 13/14, but apparently as of 14/15. As he signed an "undisclosed" two year deal when he joined he may well have been on marquee wages. Not sure any longer. 

On 3/21/2018 at 12:36 PM, FCB said:

Ask him privately. 

why disclose what was said in private? not cool man.

32 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

why disclose what was said in private? not cool man.

Who said that he said anything to me privately? It would be pretty cool to ask him privately though, and have him confirm what he said in public, don't you think?

9 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

From Soccer Stoppage Time, so Gombau done?

I would only believe it when it is official.  SST were tweeting Gombau was ringing people about player team selection then had to clarify it was players he was interested in signing for his squad.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/chris-herd-wont-play-for-western-sydney-wanderers-again-this-year-and-is-set-to-cut-ties-with-club/news-story/061c62102a0f8fd28586d05c9f2331a8

FORMER Socceroo Chris Herd will not play for Western Sydney Wanderers again this season and is likely to agree to a termination of his contract.

Having been given leave to attend to personal matters in the UK five weeks ago, Herd has indicated he will not be able to return during the current campaign.

Despite having another year on his contract, it’s seen as largely inevitable that he will reach an agreement with the Wanderers to cut short what has proved to be a difficult return to play in Australia.

Herd returned to England for the birth of his second child in November, and returned there again in late February.

Herd is expected to try to find a club in England, probably for next season, in an attempt to be closer to his family.

Western Sydney Wanderers declined to comment on Herd’s situation.

In 2016 he signed for Perth but immediately pulled out of the deal when it became clear his family would not be able to join him.

Last July he convinced Tony Popovic he could play a role for Western Sydney this season, but had already moved to the fringes under Josep Gombau even before returning to the UK.

21 minutes ago, wswnick said:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/chris-herd-wont-play-for-western-sydney-wanderers-again-this-year-and-is-set-to-cut-ties-with-club/news-story/061c62102a0f8fd28586d05c9f2331a8

FORMER Socceroo Chris Herd will not play for Western Sydney Wanderers again this season and is likely to agree to a termination of his contract.

Having been given leave to attend to personal matters in the UK five weeks ago, Herd has indicated he will not be able to return during the current campaign.

Despite having another year on his contract, it’s seen as largely inevitable that he will reach an agreement with the Wanderers to cut short what has proved to be a difficult return to play in Australia.

Herd returned to England for the birth of his second child in November, and returned there again in late February.

Herd is expected to try to find a club in England, probably for next season, in an attempt to be closer to his family.

Western Sydney Wanderers declined to comment on Herd’s situation.

In 2016 he signed for Perth but immediately pulled out of the deal when it became clear his family would not be able to join him.

Last July he convinced Tony Popovic he could play a role for Western Sydney this season, but had already moved to the fringes under Josep Gombau even before returning to the UK.

Hope so. If theres any shining light with our squad its that we are currently operating without a high paid midfielder and centre back in our squad.

But damn i had high hopes for Herd. Never again haha

Of course the club are unwilling to comment on the Herd situation