Squad Development 2017/18 Part 2

2 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Because there is a fanciful notion that:

a) we can make the top 6 and "cause some damage" in the finals; and 

b) that means something.

Fans of this club were up in arms when we looked like we were planning for the long-term with Gombau (I include myself in this as I was as shocked as anyone when he made so many changes for the derby), which led to the club and him to make statements about being a big club and winning this season. Now they are stuck between a "win now" attitude, and a rebuild.

Because of this idea that making it to the top 6 may become an acceptable consolation prize, no a-league club is ever given the time by the fans to rebuild properly (not to mention the disgusting "#entercoachhereout culture across world football).

Then of course there is the realisation that few teams win the A-league with the youngsters that we seem to be producing, so even if they get game-time this year they will just be supplanted by a visa player or experienced A-league vet next year.  So why would the coach risk being sacked for not making the top 6 when he can sneak in, give a gutsy performance away from home, then get his own team next year?

where is this gutsy performance you speak of?

4 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

where is this gutsy performance you speak of?

I didn't say it's happened! A gutsy performance in the finals is part of what the coach assumes would help him keep his job, and a reason for him not to select youngsters. My post was totally neutral when it comes to the current coach (in fact I think Gombau and the CEO made bad decisions when he first started, in terms of the expectations), was just trying to give reasons why the youngsters would not be picked. Like lloydy, I blame the mentality (and the setup) of the A-league. The coaches are only working within the parameters that they've been given.

53 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I didn't say it's happened! A gutsy performance in the finals is part of what the coach assumes would help him keep his job, and a reason for him not to select youngsters. My post was totally neutral when it comes to the current coach (in fact I think Gombau and the CEO made bad decisions when he first started, in terms of the expectations), was just trying to give reasons why the youngsters would not be picked. Like lloydy, I blame the mentality (and the setup) of the A-league. The coaches are only working within the parameters that they've been given.

I was being a smart arse

You are spot on, league breeds a risk adverse culture

Hey all Happy back again :)

Gombau cannot be held responsible for inept shooting I lost count of our players having shots on the edge of the penalty area and skying them over the bar. The team showed some very good play tonight but sadly to little to late.

I can only think that Gombau is our coach for the 2018/19 season otherwise The powers to be would be letting him sign the players we have signed so far , Elrich , Fitzgerald , Kemau and Tonyik along with Carrusca are all Gombau players .

So lets get on board and give him the support to build something for next remember they don't have to name players , look at Newcastle this year. We need to focus on a very good number 10 and with Fitzgerald and Kamau  we have a couple of good wingers there and 2 good Centre backs are needed if we retain Risdon and Lloriente 

And we need a centre forward who can do more than head the ball and has pace 

Bye for now from Happy:good:

Spoke with Thwaite after the game. Not that it needs to be said but he confirmed he’s done at wanderers. Sounds like the family wants him home after being away for 2 years. I’m sure there’s age reasons too.

He’s had a great career, hope his next phase is a fulfilling one. He’s been a solid servant this year, even under a massive cloud of sh*t

10 hours ago, Upthehill said:

He’s been a solid servant this year, even under a massive cloud of sh*t

I think he's been increasingly making stupid mistakes, the kind that you get when you aren't 100% focused. While I think that Gombau has made plenty of errors, the reaction of the veterans like Thwaite and Cornthwaite to the change has been poor. Anyone that plays sport knows there are times when you think you're prepared but you're not. Veteran professionals should be in a routine that minimises that. He's basically switched off and been playing on autopilot. 

28 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I think he's been increasingly making stupid mistakes, the kind that you get when you aren't 100% focused. While I think that Gombau has made plenty of errors, the reaction of the veterans like Thwaite and Cornthwaite to the change has been poor. Anyone that plays sport knows there are times when you think you're prepared but you're not. Veteran professionals should be in a routine that minimises that. He's basically switched off and been playing on autopilot. 

Something I learnt early was that neither age or experience are prerequisites to professionalism.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, mack said:

End 2022/23 is 5 seasons (plus the rest of this one) not 4.

If it's until end 2022/23 he'll be 35 in the last year of his deal.

It sounds like the news posts made a mistaken in the year and it is an extension until 2021/22.

Yeah they corrected it to 21/22. 4 years though, longest deal we've seen at WSW yeh?

A contract doesn't mean much these days. All it means is they don't have to renegotiate after a year. It doesn't mean that he cannot leave or they get rid of him before the end of the contract.....we have seen this many times before.

25 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

hearing rumour it is not leroy we are going for, now hearing we could be going for johan absalonsen  as he is off contract but who knows at this stage we might retain cejudo if he plays very well this weekend or maybe even in the final series but from what i heard absalonsen is being looked at by gombau

Absonsen  Hopefully not as a marquee, he’s good but he’s no that good.

Id be happy if we kept cejudo, but under the cap. Last couple of weeks (better late than never) he’s started to show his class

29 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

hearing rumour it is not leroy we are going for, now hearing we could be going for johan absalonsen  as he is off contract but who knows at this stage we might retain cejudo if he plays very well this weekend or maybe even in the final series but from what i heard absalonsen is being looked at by gombau

IS HE PLAYING SUNDAY?

57 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

also hearing cejudo might get a new one year deal reported a few weeks back by the walker agent i think he does deserve another chance becuase a player of his quality doesnt just come here to fail, i think playing him on the wings is where he is so dangerous one on one and he brings other into the game i like him but he had  his injuires hold him back id give him another one year deal and see what happens next season.

NO 

• mack unpinned this topic