Gombau Picks Up First Wanderers Win

3 hours ago, DamnedUnited said:

The result upsets me in that it gives me Hope. I don't like Hope. Hope nearing Xmas is worser. Hope is that teasing flicker you know is gunner be extinguished. It's not fact it's Hope. Then it gets worser. In walks Destiny. I don't like Destiny either. Hope and Destiny should be characters in the Bold and Beautiful not part of our club. I don't like Santa. He gave us a goal a false xmas and in waltzed Hope and Destiny. 

It's the hope that kills you.

6 hours ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Good win just imagine if we go on a winning run beat Newcastle and whoever we play the week after would rap off a good Christmas 

The A-league team play the following in the next 7 rounds

Jets away

Heartless at ANZ

Brisbane away

Adelaide at ANZ on Wed 10th Jan

Phoenix away

Melb Vic at ANZ  (DH)

Perth away

Plus there is the small matter of the catchup game which can't e played at Spotless until BBL is over. 

It’s funny that the commentators who say the clear red card tackle wasn’t a send off because Roly didn’t do his namesake and roll around on the ground like he’d been stabbed, are usually the same ones who complain about diving and simulation.

Well, unless it’s Carney. Then they say things like “he’s earned a penalty” or “he’s entitled to go down”.

I had no issue with the final 10 minutes slowdown, yes it was boring as buggery and i'd have liked to see them go all out, but in the context of the season, we needed that 3 points and if CCM had managed to jag 2 goals against us, we'd have been screaming.  Better to bank the points given where we are. That's the luxury a side like SFC have afforded themselves, when you are so far in front you can just go for it and to hell the consequences, we couldn't do that.

Roly tackle, I cant believe the yardstick is the players response, haven't we been trying to get rid of the berisha style, roll down the field 7 times, over reaction? If its a clear red, then give it, regardless of the players response. 

There was absolutely nothing wrong with holding the ball and passing it around at the back in the last stages of the match. 

Here's why:

- Mariners were down to 9 men; 

- We are 2-0 up;

- Mariner's need to chase the game, not us; and

- If they try to get the ball of us, they lose their limited shape. 

The last point is the most important. The first 3 is the right mentality, the last point is the icing on the cake. Mariner's know that if they try to pressure from the front line with only 9 men, they expose themselves and could open up to more opportunities to concede. What the Mariner's were hoping WSW do is that we become complacent and misplace a pass in our own half for them to pounce on. 

This game was the most evident of Gombau's style and for me, thoroughly enjoyable to watch. The following needs to improve:

- 3v3 scenarios when we're going forward need to get a bit better;

- Switching from left and right flanks across the back line need to be crisper and a lit bit quicker;

- Cejudo, for me, needs to be on that left wing out wide. I think it makes more sense to have Bridge more centrally; and

- Two CAM's need to come a bit more deeper and the two WB's need to be a little bit more deeper when in possession passing out from the back.

I can't put in to words how enjoyable it was to watch this match and see these tactics unfold. Still a work in progress but I'm very excited. 

Edited by spectacular291

For me next week will tell us where we are at. I thought in the first half the mariners could have had more chances. I don't rate the Spanish guy up front, and Hoole can't cross. if that was most other teams we would be 2 down after 20 mins. How can Risdon be in the WC squad after being made look second rate by Hoole... I mean its Hoole FFS.

The fact there were 5 changes for this game says to me that Gombau kinda was admitting he got it wrong last week to some degree. It will take more than a win against the mariners to make me forget what happened last week.

The trip to Gosford is still a great day out I reckon, shame that there weren't that many of us and even more so the lack of CCM supporters.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/18/a-league-western-sydney-wandererss-revival-flatters-to-deceive

"

Despite one game fewer than the league’s current top four (Sydney, Newcastle, Melbourne City, Adelaide), Western Sydney are the only team to complete more than 4,000 passes this season (4,015) out of the five.

The generation of mere goal-scoring opportunities has been an arduous task so far, though. They also hold the highest pass completion rate at 81.9%, but have the least shots on target at 34. The next lowest out of the five teams is Adelaide, with 41."

Edited by beatsurrender

i am extremely disappointed in anyone who complained about the Slater's comments during the commentary - you should have been listening to the Spanish commentary. you did it to yourselves. 

that being said, i didn't listen to the commentary because i was one of the 25 people who went up for the game. and it was fantastic. 

how about that WDWSF with the team at the end lol. it's been so long since we've won we actually fu cked it up hahaha  

This is another reason why we shouldn’t get too excited about this result, I’d like to see these stats be more widely available in the A-League. I guess we have far more pressing issues than stats for fans :lol: 

To be honest, I don’t know if he is even using the right method. Do I trust him? 

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

This is another reason why we shouldn’t get too excited about this result, I’d like to see these stats be more widely available in the A-League. I guess we have far more pressing issues than stats for fans :lol: 

To be honest, I don’t know if he is even using the right method. Do I trust him? 

That xG plot looks weird. I get that Santa's goal wouldn't have contributed much because shots from outside the box are usually fairly low percentage chances but Cejudo's goal was in the box, right in front of goal, off a ball played in to feet, yet it contributed less than 0.2, suggesting that it wasn't a big chance.

Everyone has a slightly different method but that doesn't look right.

16 minutes ago, Davo said:

Everyone has a slightly different method but that doesn't look right.

I’d suggest that it would be almost a .7-.8 from the position.

16 minutes ago, Davo said:

That xG plot looks weird.

Never seen anyone do xG like this before, as you say everyone has a different way of doing it.

6 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

What the f*** is that I’m guessing that guy sees less bedroom action than unlimited 

8 hours ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

i am extremely disappointed in anyone who complained about the Slater's comments during the commentary - you should have been listening to the Spanish commentary. you did it to yourselves. 

that being said, i didn't listen to the commentary because i was one of the 25 people who went up for the game. and it was fantastic. 

how about that WDWSF with the team at the end lol. it's been so long since we've won we actually fu cked it up hahaha  

We can say we were there for the start of the Gombau wanderers 2.0

What a great evening, I missed winning. 

I love that stadium too

My thoughts, great 3 points, the last 10-15 not worried about, I'm kinda proud, I honestly believe that there was an unspoken decision not to pile pain onto a 9 man team (that the players didn't agree with only having 9 players)  there was nothing gained from scoring against them in that game.  Sure might change GD, etc but would rather them score 4 goals against a 11 man Wellington, than destroy the mariners with 9 men.  I thought it was football in an honest way.  My thoughts anyway.

baby baccus was great, and Bridge has one of the best football brains in the A league, he doesn't have the skill of other players (if he did he wouldn't be here) but he has one of the best brains going around.  Some one said before that they would like to see him more centrally, my only concern is him and Rolly might get under each others feet, having him wider with Cejudo centrally I think works well, also him wide he gives a great outlet to Baccus (either/or) playing deep, so he can go widish from central defence or can go down the middle to rolly.

12 minutes ago, Posthoc said:

My thoughts, great 3 points, the last 10-15 not worried about, I'm kinda proud, I honestly believe that there was an unspoken decision not to pile pain onto a 9 man team (that the players didn't agree with only having 9 players)  there was nothing gained from scoring against them in that game.  Sure might change GD, etc but would rather them score 4 goals against a 11 man Wellington, than destroy the mariners with 9 men.  I thought it was football in an honest way.  My thoughts anyway.

baby baccus was great, and Bridge has one of the best football brains in the A league, he doesn't have the skill of other players (if he did he wouldn't be here) but he has one of the best brains going around.  Some one said before that they would like to see him more centrally, my only concern is him and Rolly might get under each others feet, having him wider with Cejudo centrally I think works well, also him wide he gives a great outlet to Baccus (either/or) playing deep, so he can go widish from central defence or can go down the middle to rolly.

If we were in same situation against the smurfs i want the team to show no mercy.

1 hour ago, Posthoc said:

also, the way that game was going, i woudnt have been surprised to see a square-up red be issued to us. Better to soften it for the final few minutes and get through unscathed