Jets Tear Wanderers To Shreds

The Newcastle Jets have put on a clinic to demolish a demoralised Western Sydney Wanderers 4-0 in Newcastle tonight.

Coming into the game having never lost in Newcastle, the Wanderers were behind the pace of the game from the opening kick off and were completely outplayed by the rampant Jets, with the visiting side having their internal issues exposed in a post-game interview with Mark Bridge.

The Wanderers had their warning just 5 minutes into the game when Andrew Nabbout had what appeared to be the first goal. Petratos cut back onto his right to cross into the middle that found Nabbout between the Wanderers central defence, he finished well to the near post however the celebrations were cut short by a correct offside call. Not less than 5 minutes later the Jets broke the deadlock. With Mark Bridge not bothering to track his fullback, Koutroumbis took the ball to the edge of the Wanderers penalty area and fired past Vedran Janjetovic at the far post.

Newcastle were unlucky not to have been even further in front before half-time but the break saw that luck end, as they turned int a second half that stunned the abject visitors. Jason Hoffman, having been pushed further up the field as a result of the Newcastle injury crisis picked up the second of the game after more inept Wanderers defence. Aspro lunged into a tackle on Joey Champness and failed to clear, the ball wrigged into the path of Hoffman who had the freedom of the pitch, Thwaite was nowhere to be seen and Keanu Baccus couldn't stop Hoffman placing the ball past Janjetovic into the side netting.

Ben Kantarovski picked up the 3rd from a Jets corner kick. The ball was curled into the 6 yard box, Janjetovic, who had a complete nightmare of a game came & completely missed getting a touch, Kantarovski couldn't miss from point blank range

The fourth was icing on the cake for Newcastle as they tore apart the weak defence once again. Petratos was out wide & heading out over the byline, his backheel found open space in the penalty box, Ugarkovic strode onto the ball, Jonathan Aspro resembled a traffic cone instead of a central defender and let Ugarkovic waltz through on goal to finish strongly with his right foot.

Mark Bridge had a post-match interview that made it clear there are players at the club who don't want to follow our new coach and would rather do their own thing. It is time for the club & the coach to stomp out the rebellion and send the offenders packing. The PFA will have a cry but the time for forgiveness is over. I hope Gombau forces them to do sprints & laps of the Blacktown training facility tomorrow morning and afternoon, and every day until they show some pride in the shirt or they ask for a release.

Oriol Riera came on and spent most of the half stamping around like a petulant child and looks like he'd rather leave in January than follow through on the two year contract Popovic gave him. Raul Llorente used his time mostly to bitch at the ref when not getting fouls go his way. Brendan Hamill isn't an NPL level defender let alone the A-League and the moment he is cut from the club our defensive stocks will rise even if we don't replace him. Mark Bridge stood around watching Keanu Baccus try to defend multiple players for the entire second half. Jumpei was the exact same useless waste of a foreign spot he's always been. Steven Lustica came on but you wouldn't have known it since he was invisible and neither touched the ball effectively or put in any crunching tackles.

Janjetovic spilled the ball more than he caught it. Roly is getting hacked to bits every week and the rest of the team don't seem to be interested in putting in a few hard challenges of their own to protect him or warn the opposition to stop. Thwaite & Aspro were softer than a chocolate bar left out on the road in 40 degree heat, and they looked completely clueless on the ball. Cejudo isn't a winger and so far hasn't shown he's worth his foreign spot and finally, Keanu Baccus, a young player in his first real shot at pro football is being let down by much older, much more experienced players.

This was a pathetic, heartless, inept display by a band of players many of whom look like they'd rather be sitting at home than getting paid to be professional footballers. Playing badly is one thing. Not making even a token effort is another. Those who don't want to put in that effort don't deserve to wear the shirt. Too often in modern football it's the coach who gets hung out to dry by the media, and we can already see many high profile journalists taking shots at Gombau and wondering "how long until Gombau is sacked".

Gombau right now isn't the problem.

View full article

7 minutes ago, mack said:

This was a pathetic, heartless, inept display by a band of players many of whom look like they'd rather be sitting at home than getting paid to be professional footballers. Playing badly is one thing. Not making even a token effort is another. Those who don't want to put in that effort don't deserve to wear the shirt. Too often in modern football it's the coach who gets hung out to dry by the media, and we can already see many high profile journalists taking shots at Gombau and wondering "how long until Gombau is sacked".

Gombau right now isn't the problem.

This.....:good:

I am not too concerned about this result because we were always going to lose this match. The Jets are a good side and they are playing awesome under Merrick. He sets his team to play a positive and direct brand of football. A style I much prefer than what we are currently seeing from the Wanderers.  Anyway we know Gombau's history in the A-league and what he is capable of with his time at Adelaide. He wants the players to play a certain way and either they are resisting or they still haven't grasped it. In any case he has been shown to be quite inflexible in his beliefs and so he should. Every coach needs to stick to their principles and how they want their football played. I personally don't agree with his approach but then again I am not the coach of the Wanderers. Lets hope he gets them to click soon because otherwise it is going to be a long season. 

I am not going to make excuses for Gombau but let me just say that his "process" takes too long to implement. It is what it is. I think he was always going to struggle this year especially with how the Popa situation unfolded. Its a tough one to bear as supporters because we want instant results. There will be changes in the new year and in the next season but I am pretty sure it won't be the coach who is going. 

Popovic probably would of been hung by now too you could tell Arnold always had him over a barrel which he never got over although Ange the big quitter always had Arnold’s number if Ange came to wsw had the results he did with roar he’d be treated like god

Edited by JayZko

It's really heartbreaking to see us get battered like this week in, week out. I understand it's a transition process and the players are rebelling but still, we never got thumped this badly 2 games out of 3 under Popa. Let alone never having lost in Newcastle. A lot of good records are going to be broken this season and unwanted bad ones will start piling up. Ugh...

There’s no reason why we couldn’t have upgraded a Romeo castelen for that dribble arse guy or another speedster with experience or kept nico Martinez not quite Shinji but could do the job all we needed was mobility instead of bulk and we would of won everything it’s a shame

Edited by JayZko

I’m not accepting process and philosophy.

You find a system to get the best out of what you have. We just got beat 4-0 by a team with Jason Hoffman and Andrew Nabout  in the front  line.

6 games in and it is a Omnishambles 

Edited by StringerBellend
5 minutes ago, JayZko said:

There’s no reason why we couldn’t have upgraded a Romeo castelen for that dribble arse guy or another speedster with experience or kept nico Martinez not quite Shinji but could do the job all we needed was mobility instead of bulk and we would of won everything it’s a shame

lol.....who is the dribble ass guy?....lol

We should of done everything to keep Nico.

Edited by sonar

Newcastle appear to have struck gold, not just with Merrick finding his voice again after the Nux but also with the owners* stepping back and letting McKinna take the reins as CEO. 

*yes, it probably helps that the Ledman Group probably doesn't penny pinch as much as the Wanderers' owners, but the point about appointing a football-focussed manager (one that also has some with real management/leadership experience as the ex-major of Gosford) still stands.

Edited by Generator
5 minutes ago, Generator said:

Newcastle appear to have struck gold, not just with Merrick finding his voice again after the Nux but also with the owners* stepping back and letting McKinna take the reins as CEO. 

*yes, it probably helps that the Ledman Group probably doesn't penny pinch as much as the Wanderers' owners, but the point about appointing a football-focussed manager (with real management experience as the ex-major of Gosford) still stands.

Get this man a new

you really hit the nail on the head

Edited by JayZko

There is nothing to say tonight it's was possibly even worse than the derby performance. At the end of the game I said to Gunner Jnr, we are NOT going on New Years Day. I don't think I've ever said it before. What a **** **** start to Xmas. Top summary Mack nailed it. Absolutley **** shambles who can sleep tonight!!!

Imagine if city just brought us left our name alone gave us the best talent in the country we coulda won atleast 3 toilet seats ffa cups and acl we’d be flying

anz would be too small football the dominant code omg jizz moment 

Edited by JayZko
7 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

There is nothing to say tonight it's was possibly even worse than the derby performance. At the end of the game I said to Gunner Jnr, we are NOT going on New Years Day. I don't think I've ever said it before. What a **** **** start to Xmas. Top summary Mack nailed it. Absolutley **** shambles who can sleep tonight!!!

My little cousin has started to get interested in football, my sisters want me to take him to a game. I can't help but think "how about we wait a couple years" until we're playing at our proper home ground and hopefully don't have a team as bad as this one.

7 minutes ago, pudispencer said:

I thought Bridge was absolutely shyte on the pitch tonight. He's gone so far backwards. And his interview should earn him some time training alone.

His interview probably will earn him time training alone, but it shouldn’t as he was spot on. We are all over the shop it’s a shambles. Gombau is being paid decent coin to manage a team, and he isn’t managing 

It’s not entirely Gombaus fault the club hired the wrong guy for the job. If we want all this Barcelona nonsense we could have brought him in at end of season. For now we needed somebody who could work with squad we had

I hope I’m proven wrong