Jets Tear Wanderers To Shreds

7 minutes ago, Carns said:

I still believe that Gombau can work, but I never assumed it would happen quickly. The style will take a long time to develop, and he needs the players to suit the style.

The season was a write off for me as soon as Popa left. Not that I enjoy watching them lose badly and play so poorly.

And, as I also asked previously, what is so difficult and different about the style Gombau wants us to play compared to what Popa had us playing?

Are the players that inept that they cannot change to a minutely different style, or has it genuinely come down to the different personality of the gaffer?

Change is style, tactics and mentality all take a while to bed in (particularly without a preseason).

Popa might have moved to a more passing game, but he always maintained a defensively strong unit with two holding mids.

Gombau prefers an attacking mantra and would most likely play 3 at the back if he had the players to do it.

6 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Merrick knew what we were going to do. Roll the ball out to 2 centre backs who are ill equipped to deal with it so he played three up front and pressed every time. We just kept doing it, it was idiotic 

Yeah both FC and Jets pressed such that more often than not Aspro was left in possession who looked like a rabbit in the headlights every time.

On 25/12/2017 at 1:17 AM, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Well I've heard from lads on social media that we've had run in but we've won most of the battles but heard your firms had a smash with  a few cove members saw a picture last year with a message newy firms smash cove firms but don't know if true but bloke had stolen a FC scarf and flag and posted on social media to see how good they were but yeah I mean I think they have been around but only when the big clubs come to town :golecapproves:

Mate it's hardly 'Green Street' stuff. There were a few incidents in our early seasons but of late it's been perhaps the odd one or two local 'heroes' at some of our away games but by and large nothing on any major scale.

15 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Yeah both FC and Jets pressed such that more often than not Aspro was left in possession who looked like a rabbit in the headlights every time.

Watching the A League hour dissecting it. The playing out from the back despite having three players pushing on to them. Total madness 

santalab subbed at half time 

If gombau loses santalab he can do one 

WSW HQ. elected to spend big to buy in Gombau and his playing style.  The first hurdle has loomed larger than expected.  Whereas in this summer's cricket the team shuffles around to play differently depending on conditions, situation and who is at the crease.  Yet WSW cannot cope with just a little bit of positional change.   That is beyond belief.

If these players continue to show that they are zombies when it comes to understanding dif. playing styles I hope Gombau dumps 'em all.  And starts afresh.  How can you be confused playing slightly differently positionally?  If you have no knowledge of other playing styles how can you play well against anyone?

Is it the players are stupid or is there some rebellion brewing and the players are so unprofessional they carry it over onto the pitch?

On 12/23/2017 at 10:17 AM, sonar said:

In.....You go for the good,the bad or the ugly. ..and it's ugly at the minute and I don't deny it but I'm still IN. COYW. Just be thankful we're not an NRL club like the Sharkies, took 'em 50 years to win a premiership.

Gorman was the difference at the Sharks and now at Manly. IMO he's probably the best administrator in any Australian sport. We are going backwards at an ever increasing rate under current ownership.

Lederer out, Tsatiwhateverhisnameis out. Undecided on Gombau. 

GORMAN IN AS BENEVOLENT DICTATOR........... the only solution.

I'm still in too, will be there Monday nite........can't guarantee anything after that if we get flogged again.

Have 4 season memberships in my household and will be the only one going. 

Quote from 15yo son " Dad, what's the point in going if they don't even try". Out of the mouths of babes.......

7 minutes ago, colhil said:

Have 4 season memberships in my household and will be the only one going. 

Quote from 15 yo son " Dad, what's the point in going if they don't even try". Out of the mouths of babes.......

Much the same here too.

Hopefully will have 2/4 going. :(

On 12/26/2017 at 7:20 PM, Wanderboy said:

I'm still not convinced that the people running our club and making such decisions know any more than the average punter. They may very well be just fans like us, but with fatter wallets.

I am totally and utterly convinced they know only a little more than me at best......and I'm a very average punter.

Edited by colhil
12 hours ago, FarisMee said:

WSW HQ. elected to spend big to buy in Gombau and his playing style.  The first hurdle has loomed larger than expected.  Whereas in this summer's cricket the team shuffles around to play differently depending on conditions, situation and who is at the crease.  Yet WSW cannot cope with just a little bit of positional change.   That is beyond belief.

If these players continue to show that they are zombies when it comes to understanding dif. playing styles I hope Gombau dumps 'em all.  And starts afresh.  How can you be confused playing slightly differently positionally?  If you have no knowledge of other playing styles how can you play well against anyone?

Is it the players are stupid or is there some rebellion brewing and the players are so unprofessional they carry it over onto the pitch?

To stretch the cricket analogy he is basically come in and told Alastair Cook that it would be a good idea to start playing like David Warner.. 

The  other way to look at it is that he isn't getting the team to play differently depending on conditions, who is at create etc. He's doing quite the opposite he is telling him to throw the bat at everything regardless of if it is working.. 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

To stretch the cricket analogy he is basically come in and told Alastair Cook that it would be a good idea to start playing like David Warner.. 

The  other way to look at it is that he isn't getting the team to play differently depending on conditions, who is at create etc. He's doing quite the opposite he is telling him to throw the bat at everything regardless of if it is working.. 

O.K.   So you seem to indicate that blame lies not at the feet of the team.   I disagree only slightly.  However the players are far more innocent than the Executive.  The pro-players who fell for Poppy's sales pitch and signed on came over because they were promised a style of play that suits them.  I like gombau's style but it doesn't fit a team that have dedicated their careers to a different style than Gombau's.  That's why they joined Poppy. I believe blame lies at the feet of the WSW Executive.  They did the shopping and tyre-kicking.  Gombau's style is the package that WSW executive ordered.  It's not like they didn't know what was in the box.  Gombau's style is a known known.  Truly I don't think the WSW Exec. have a clue.  They're business men with a weekend hobby.   For an extreme analogy it's like saying "We need more footballers who can run with the ball instead of just passing it."  So a bunch of NRL players are signed on.

25 minutes ago, mack said:

Gorman ain't coming back. He just joined NRL Manly to run that club.

He's probably setting up for a tilt at the NRL CEO. In any case, he's not coming back to Western Sydney.

FFA should be giving him whatever he wants to come run the FFA 

they wont obviously