Wanderers Season Ends Against Adelaide

Hearing the comments and rumours, here and elsewhere, seems Gumby isn't a good manager of people.  The squad is a good squad of players; he has had good stuff to work with but hasn't pulled them together at all.  He has players who have performed very well under other coaches and in other leagues but hasn't built a team - seems he has made his favourites and gotten everyone else off-side.  He will pick his own players next year, those who will bow to his antics and ways but are they actually the best players and the ones WSW needs? 

I'm over Gumby unfortunately - he hasn't made anything of the squad he has after 20 rounds.  It doesn't work for me that 'he needs his own squad'.  He's a coach and well, hasn't coached.  The players are playing in a manner that is all over the place.  Tactics, as others have said have been pretty poor - unless you like watching the ball go backwards around the back 4.  Player selection based on who he seems to get on with.  And this magic, mysterious and missing philosophy.  All that bodes well for 2018-19.  can't wait.

10 minutes ago, mack said:

Barbarouses got his red card for "serious unsporting conduct". Baccus got his for "violent conduct".

Apparently because Baccus was lying on the ground his was violent conduct but Barbarouses standing around before a penalty and deciding to stomp on Baccus wasn't violent, just unsporting.

now that is funny, another nail in the coffin of competent officialdom ... If you're looking for a reasoned, consistent, judicial approach look away... If you're looking to see the clowns in action buy a ticket to the FFA circus... 

5 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Hearing the comments and rumours, here and elsewhere, seems Gumby isn't a good manager of people.  The squad is a good squad of players; he has had good stuff to work with but hasn't pulled them together at all.  He has players who have performed very well under other coaches and in other leagues but hasn't built a team - seems he has made his favourites and gotten everyone else off-side.  He will pick his own players next year, those who will bow to his antics and ways but are they actually the best players and the ones WSW needs? 

I'm over Gumby unfortunately - he hasn't made anything of the squad he has after 20 rounds.  It doesn't work for me that 'he needs his own squad'.  He's a coach and well, hasn't coached.  The players are playing in a manner that is all over the place.  Tactics, as others have said have been pretty poor - unless you like watching the ball go backwards around the back 4.  Player selection based on who he seems to get on with.  And this magic, mysterious and missing philosophy.  All that bodes well for 2018-19.  can't wait.

There's probably 3 or 4 managers in the entire football universe who have the budget to get the squad they want so they can play "their system"... Gombau had a solid top 4 squad, he has no excuse, he has time aplenty; he showed no capacity to adapt; no tactical nous; poor man management and team motivation skills; he failed to address problem areas; failed to show any marked improvement in performance; failed to achieve back to back wins; failed to beat any top 4 opposition... He has failed on EVERY possible metric... He has to go...

His failure is also JT's and the ownership groups failure... And we should make it known...

26 minutes ago, EmMac said:

What a faaarrrrkin farce of a football league. Barbarusous gets 1 week, baby baccus gets two. And Brosque got nothin for spitting at the match official, right? Its utterly ridiculous.

Its going to take a long time to convince wsw fans that the rules are applied equitably

Who cares he misses a couple of FFA cup games 

19 minutes ago, LetsPele said:

There's probably 3 or 4 managers in the entire football universe who have the budget to get the squad they want so they can play "their system"... Gombau had a solid top 4 squad, he has no excuse, he has time aplenty; he showed no capacity to adapt; no tactical nous; poor man management and team motivation skills; he failed to address problem areas; failed to show any marked improvement in performance; failed to achieve back to back wins; failed to beat any top 4 opposition... He has failed on EVERY possible metric... He has to go...

His failure is also JT's and the ownership groups failure... And we should make it known...

Stands and applauds this post 

*throws oil onto the fire of this thread*

BOSSI ALERT

Western Sydney stalwart Brendon Santalab has piled the pressure on Wanderers coach Josep Gombau by issuing a damning condemnation of how the club is going under the beleaguered Spaniard's guidance.

Santalab is leading the calls for large-scale change at the club after the most expensive Wanderers team ever assembled finished in the bottom half of the table and failed to qualify for the A-League finals.

"It's disappointing. Just look at the team sheet, it’s one of the best in the league. Something’s not clicking and we need to change something," Santalab said after the 3-2 loss to Adelaide United on Sunday night that consigned the club to a seventh-place finish.

The veteran striker went on to detail a lengthy list of issues he said had hampered the team's progress under Gombau, including claims of player dissatisfaction, a perceived lack of direction, questions about the tactics and concerns over the football philosophy.

"I think ever since [former coach Tony Popovic] left it’s been an unsettled ship," he said. "I think everybody can see that ... We never got going, we never got the rhythm and that has to change. Whatever that is, it’s out of my control."

The club's all-time leading goal-scorer scoffed at previous suggestions that the Wanderers' plight was due to the coaching upheaval at the start of the season, saying there had been plenty of time for Popovic's replacement to enforce a new playing style and that the players had the quality to have adapted to any changes.

"When you have a squad like that and you don’t make the finals, something’s not right. I mean, what a team that is, [look at] the names!" Santalab said. "If you looked at our pre-season, you would have put us up there as title contenders. There's no excuse with all the changes and everything. For me, you had an incredible group of players, great footballers and should be doing more."

Gombau has talked about it being a lengthy "process" to change the club's playing style to a more attacking and possession-based system. After inheriting an undefeated team that was sitting in fourth place after round five, the Wanderers struggled under him, losing 10 of their 22 games, winning seven and struggling for consistency.

Since taking over, issues of player discontent have regularly surfaced. First, there were the frequent sideline arguments with marquee Oriol Riera, then an abrupt request to leave from midfielder Kearyn Baccus, which was denied, and most recently an alleged training ground bust-up with Dutch midfielder Roly Bonevacia.

Santalab questioned the Wanderers' football philosophy and this season's tactical approach, which he believes must be addressed during the post-season review.

"I think we need to see what direction we are going in first, especially with our playing style. We never really got going. I think we had 16 weeks to get it right and we didn’t hit it in the end and that's something we need to iron-out; our vision going forward, how we need to play, our strategy."

Santalab remains in the dark over his future, having yet to be told whether he features in the club's plans for next season. After Sunday's game, he walked around the perimeter of ANZ Stadium to thank the fans in what could well be his last game for the club.

Having missed the post-match talk, Santalab returned to find the dressing room in a dejected mood.

"It wasn’t good at all. I went around to all the fans, I actually missed the meeting, they didn’t wait for me. It’s disappointment all around," Santalab said.

The 35-year-old has vowed to continue playing despite coming off-contract next month and said his preference was to remain with the Wanderers.

"That’s the intention," he said. "There’s a lot of uncertainty flying around about many things but I hope that wasn’t my last game tonight.

"Obviously, I've been at the club for a long time and I’d like to stay. It’s in the club’s hands with what happens. I love the club and the fans and I’d like to stay."

The Wanderers will undergo a post-season review involving the board, which will determine the fate of Gombau.

I might be missing something, but playing out from the back no matter what, terrible people manager, their way or the highway, etc... Are we talking about Gombau or Popovic? By the sounds of it the only really difference is that Gombau backed down and let the childish players get their way, rather than what we would have seen with Popovic who would, by all accounts, have hanged them out to dry.

As a general comment, in a way it’s good to be reminded that this team is just like most others in the league - occasionally good, occasionally crap, but generally just average. Like the entire league, to be honest.

Anyway, now we don’t have to worry about the action on the pitch and can instead focus on what really matters - David Squires’ weekly cartoon on Australian football/sport. A-League finals and then the World Cup. We should see some good cartoons.

Love Santalab to bits but his comments are an attempt to cover up some woeful individual performances from his team mates all season. 

I don’t care if a shovel with a smiley drawn on it is the manager, some of the individual mistakes and at times disinterested demeanor of a lot of players during large parts of the season was simply unforgivable. 

A great start to a “philosophy” would be to dispense of the deadwood and journeymen who have been bouncing around the A-league for what seems to be forever. 

Other clubs should follow suit.

Still feel that Gombau needs a chance to build his own team, but after seeing how poor we have been, the poor defensive tactics and that a number of players have all spoken out about him. I wouldn't be surprised if he got the chop, but I'd give him his own team and give him till round 10 next season before giving him the sack.

Would still take Milicic to replace him in a heart beat to do a rebuilt and base a team to play a proper tactical game that can feed Oreo, then try push Sotirio into a back up fullback roll to utilize his speed effectively and short comings as an attacking forward.

Still the club itself has a lot of questions to answer in terms of on field and the off field crap that is hurting this club.

imho, I believe Popovic will come back, get rid of the dead wood (his own really - roly, maybe cejudo) and keep Gambau's new buys (Carrusca, maybe Iko), new fullbacks to replace Thwaite and maybe Ridson (underwhelming for a socceroo).

He would get so much more of out that squad......

To be fair before we throw Pep under the bus our two best performers in the dog end of this season were his signings. Iko and carusca. I was a Gumby-in voice before his appointment and will hold my hands up if he gets the boot but still want him to get next season. 

Then its 'football's coming home' time in 19/20. Not a moment too soon

3 minutes ago, mack said:

Santalab went off to Smithies as well, it's behind a paywall so can't copy it here but it pretty much said the same thing.

Pretty **** from Santalab imo.

Do you think he knows/thinks he won't be offered another contract? Seems to be counter productive if you're trying to snag a new deal.

11 minutes ago, Carns said:

Do you think he knows/thinks he won't be offered another contract? Seems to be counter productive if you're trying to snag a new deal.

I’d heard a rumor that he wasn’t getting offered a new contract, but it was one of those friend of a friend with inside info style rumors, so I was skeptical.

Seeing how long he took with the fans after the game last night and now this, I’m starting to think that may be his last game with us.

Any player who is off contract that hadn't got an offer by now is one who has a very high chance of being released.

If they are off contract the other clubs can sign them for next season in early January, it's now 4 months past that, and non-finals teams are basically on holiday already.

We've probably already made up to half a dozen signings already for next season.

Whilst most here don't like Soccer Stoppage Time you should give it a go this week.

Apparently, if Gombau were to walk there would be no tears at the offices of the Western Sydney Wanderers. 

#GombauOUT

37 minutes ago, mack said:

Santalab went off to Smithies as well, it's behind a paywall so can't copy it here but it pretty much said the same thing.

Pretty **** from Santalab imo.

If it was just one player, in particular a one season wonder who doesn’t give a stuff about the club eg Cejudo, who was saying something I’d probably think it’s a disgruntled player with a axe to grind..

But it isn’t is it? It’s Santalab saying it the one player in the squad who would run thru a brick wall for the club, who is our leading goalscroer etc 

What’s more he is the It’s the latest in a long list of players saying it. Cejudo (yes who cares see above), cornthwaite, Bridge...

For Santalab sake this is Santalab saying this, Santalab!

The guy that has scored countless goals when we needed it.. including keeping us in a acl

yet apparently we should go with a manager who in five and half months has failed to organise a defence and prior to coming here is greatest achievement is the Hong Kong league and the preseason Comp

its ok nick Fitzgerald and Bruce Kamau are coming   

2 hours ago, Generator said:

I might be missing something, but playing out from the back no matter what, terrible people manager, their way or the highway, etc... Are we talking about Gombau or Popovic? By the sounds of it the only really difference is that Gombau backed down and let the childish players get their way, rather than what we would have seen with Popovic who would, by all accounts, have hanged them out to dry.

As a general comment, in a way it’s good to be reminded that this team is just like most others in the league - occasionally good, occasionally crap, but generally just average. Like the entire league, to be honest.

Anyway, now we don’t have to worry about the action on the pitch and can instead focus on what really matters - David Squires’ weekly cartoon on Australian football/sport. A-League finals and then the World Cup. We should see some good cartoons.

The difference is Popa won stuff 

35 minutes ago, mack said:

Of course they wouldn't be upset, because if he left they wouldn't have to make a decision to sack him and then try to negotiate a payout of the last 2 years of his contract.

Exactly 

The club brought him in, he was the wrong guy for the gig, given that the gig I assume was to work with what was there and win games, not start on a philosophical quest

As much as I may rant they knew what they were getting, or should have 

They now either take the risk that given a clean slate he’ll come good, or they pay him out what he is entitled too 

19 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Exactly 

The club brought him in, he was the wrong guy for the gig, given that the gig I assume was to work with what was there and win games, not start on a philosophical quest

As much as I may rant they knew what they were getting, or should have 

They now either take the risk that given a clean slate he’ll come good, or they pay him out what he is entitled too 

I thought Gumby was on a one year deal...happy to be corrected. If he is contracted for a longer term then my bet is they won't pay him out. IF the rumours of new player signings by Gombau is correct then it would appear he is staying.

Lederer seems to be a tight bum as far as paying out the cash.With the lower crowd numbers and memberships this year and with that comes reduced income and revenue, he and the other owners/stakeholders may go down the cheapest option path and not want to payout for one manager and then hire a new one.

It's going to be a long, long,long off season.

Edited by sonar
5 hours ago, sonar said:

I thought Gumby was on a one year deal...happy to be corrected. If he is contracted for a longer term then my bet is they won't pay him out. IF the rumours of new player signings by Gombau is correct then it would appear he is staying.

Lederer seems to be a tight bum as far as paying out the cash.With the lower crowd numbers and memberships this year and with that comes reduced income and revenue, he and the other owners/stakeholders may go down the cheapest option path and not want to payout for one manager and then hire a new one.

It's going to be a long, long,long off season.

And probably another long long season!

8 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Whilst most here don't like Soccer Stoppage Time you should give it a go this week.

Apparently, if Gombau were to walk there would be no tears at the offices of the Western Sydney Wanderers. 

#GombauOUT

Hadn't listened to SST for about a year so it was an interesting discussion however there was also a bit of wish fulfilment in it as well.  Whilst the players should 100% take most of the blame ( however players are players so they won't ) for this awful season I will agree that as a coach the buck stops with you & if you can't pull the players all in the same direction as yourself then there is no point being there.