Gombau Sacked By Wanderers

Schubert was on the radar last year in October. Don't know if he is now. 

Schuster is likely to stay at Darmstadt if they are relegated. For BL2 he has a contract for next year. 

Of the available German coaches Nouri, Keller and Babbel would be great. I have no idea if we are looking at any if them, or if they'd be interested.

If this stuff is true... 

“He was not a boss. He couldn’t deal properly with the players,” one source said. “We knew there would be issues from the moment he suggested he wasn’t worried about the Premiers Plate and would be happy to finish sixth because you can still win the championship.

“We were not used to this sort of talk. The Wanderers have ­always been about trying to be the very best, to set our sights as high as possible, to be at the forefront of the A-League. To be told sixth would be good enough just didn’t fit into the mentality of the players.”

1 minute ago, Erebus said:

FB comments on the announcement are pretty much 99% against the club on this decision.

They'll all forget this when we are top 2 next season. Let's not forget, most of them rated Jumpei.

Without a major change in the playing group there is no way we will be top 2.

14 minutes ago, Erebus said:

FB comments on the announcement are pretty much 99% against the club on this decision.

They'll all forget this when we are top 2 next season. Let's not forget, most of them rated Jumpei.

Our fan base on Facebook are weird 

https://youtu.be/93WRQ8HT_WA

On 20/04/2018 at 8:58 AM, GunnerWanderer said:

@btron3000 

you say the foreigners were rubbish?

so let me ask did you think roly and cejudo were rubbish when we signed them - these guys had well credentialed careers to date roly being a player we spoke about for years on forum trying to sign 

For you and others who say they are crap which is a fair statement given what they showed - how come if generally people thought they were good when we signed them now when josep failed to get anything out of them it’s nothing to do with him 

noone put a gun to Gombau’s head and said take the job - if the club said to him the season is a write off fair enough but if they said you need to perform than he was right to be sacked 

all the talk of player unrest - it’s his job to manage it and looks as though he failed miserably 

he cant be given a free ride merely because he came in after pre season!!!

Out of those three I was defending Jumpei because I didn’t think he was as bad as people made out! :lol: (Not great, but not woeful. I hoped he’d come around. He got worse) 

I have never rated Roly. Someone who is happy to hide over in Wellington and get the occasional highlight by blasting one in from 25 yards never struck me as a Wanderers type professional. I hoped, like everyone else, that he’d realise his potential. But he has always seemed to be that guy who drifts along on talent but never makes the most of it. He’s not consistent, and I doubt ever will be.

Cejudo, yeah I thought he’d go well. But he fell into the hole many visa players do, particularly skill ones. Couldn’t handle the physicality and started whinging when touched. Always injured. Would he have been better if he was fit? Probably, but Josep never got the fit version.

I always thought we should keep Josep to give him a fair shake, but if he can’t manage men then the rest is irrelevant. If the club saw that, then I applaud them for making a quick decision. The writing was on the wall very early on when you found out stuff like him saying “never pass sideways”. That’s the kind of stuff you teach juniors, you need senior players to be able to make decisions of their own on the field. He’s probably best suited to junior football.

However, Robbie’s comments and tweets, plus the stories we’ve heard, show that he didn’t get much support. It’s DISGRACEFUL of the former captain to use social media like that. One of the main responsibilities of any captain is to be the go-between between players and coach. He failed, and shouldn’t be sitting back in Asia somewhere as if he wasn’t part of the problem. 

If the team sheet is so great, why is everyone saying it needs an overhaul? I’m “pro worker”. I believe that managers in any field need to earn respect. But everyone had to take responsibility for their actions and I hope the whingers are told to sod off too. The whole club needs a massive reboot, on field and off.

7 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

The writing was on the wall very early on when you found out stuff like him saying “never pass sideways”.

Roly never got the memo on that one. On a serious note, sideways passes are extremely dangerous. The reason he said don't do them, is because it encourages his players to start making movements into space instead of just standing around waiting for a square pass that does nothing to shift the opposition around.

From what I've read & heard it seems to be clear at least to me that the players didn't buy into what Gombau was trying to do and were against him from day one presumably out of some kind of loyalty to Foxe or because they couldn't be bothered trying to adapt to a new coach & playing style.

Everything Gombau tried or said was interpreted as an "attack" on the playing group, they didn't listen, wouldn't change.

That article, Gombau tries to make their food less boring (considering how bad their stamina was, maybe more carbs would have helped them last more than 60 minutes into a game without exhaustion) and whined about it because it wasn't what Popa did. The "Cornthwaite revival" was winning two games in a row. Pro footballers should be able to have a piece of cake once or twice a week without their fitness collapsing.

Imagine going into your job and telling a new boss "sorry mate I'm refusing to adapt to your new methods, so I'm not bothering to work as hard as I used to, you don't have the mentality the old boss did so I'm going to throw you under the bus to your own boss."

16 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Out of those three I was defending Jumpei because I didn’t think he was as bad as people made out! :lol: (Not great, but not woeful. I hoped he’d come around. He got worse) 

I have never rated Roly. Someone who is happy to hide over in Wellington and get the occasional highlight by blasting one in from 25 yards never struck me as a Wanderers type professional. I hoped, like everyone else, that he’d realise his potential. But he has always seemed to be that guy who drifts along on talent but never makes the most of it. He’s not consistent, and I doubt ever will be.

Cejudo, yeah I thought he’d go well. But he fell into the hole many visa players do, particularly skill ones. Couldn’t handle the physicality and started whinging when touched. Always injured. Would he have been better if he was fit? Probably, but Josep never got the fit version.

I always thought we should keep Josep to give him a fair shake, but if he can’t manage men then the rest is irrelevant. If the club saw that, then I applaud them for making a quick decision. The writing was on the wall very early on when you found out stuff like him saying “never pass sideways”. That’s the kind of stuff you teach juniors, you need senior players to be able to make decisions of their own on the field. He’s probably best suited to junior football.

However, Robbie’s comments and tweets, plus the stories we’ve heard, show that he didn’t get much support. It’s DISGRACEFUL of the former captain to use social media like that. One of the main responsibilities of any captain is to be the go-between between players and coach. He failed, and shouldn’t be sitting back in Asia somewhere as if he wasn’t part of the problem. 

If the team sheet is so great, why is everyone saying it needs an overhaul? I’m “pro worker”. I believe that managers in any field need to earn respect. But everyone had to take responsibility for their actions and I hope the whingers are told to sod off too. The whole club needs a massive reboot, on field and off.

We finished below that Brisbane side from last night, how bad is that? Jacob Pepper as centre back and a 50 year old Henrique 

With the 4 +1 rule coming in Jumpei wont look that bad, he’s about the standard of Asian player willing to come here. If you are a J League 1 level player why come here for less money, and a lower standard of football? 

I liked Takahagi though, he’d have been good in a better season 

Edited by StringerBellend
20 hours ago, Hiriser said:

Hahahah Josep was on crack thinking we'd get rid of Riera.

Happy to see him go. I'll be even happier when JT goes.

And i wouldn't mind Popa being back. All this stuff about moving forward blah blah blah. The reality is we had 3 or 4 good to great seasons and only 1 dud season where owners decided to tighten up the purse strings.

I have said “we’ve got to move forward” but I’d be happy with Popa. Popa probably gives us the best chance of immediately returning to success, and that will please everyone.

The big problem with Popa is that many people were calling for his head before he left, and his playing style was fairly one-dimensional. I’m always banging on about the club making decisions based on what they see behind the scenes regardless of whinging fans, but the fact is that we are a member based organisation and the fans will exert some pressure on the leaders. Popa especially will come under a scrutiny and if we are playing average 4-2-3-1 stuff in pre-season there will be people calling for his head by the first game.

What we really need right now is an appointment that no-one can argue with. A proven managerial winner. Lederer needs to realise that the fans are sick of what they’ve been seeing and open the purse strings to bring in someone with a record of success. He should let that guy bring his own staff but insist on some locals to help with the salary cap and advising on Aussie talent. We need a full proper football staff, with scouts etc. A setup that will actually seem like it can realise our ambition of top 3.

Failing that, Popa is probably the best bet!

25 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I have said “we’ve got to move forward” but I’d be happy with Popa. Popa probably gives us the best chance of immediately returning to success, and that will please everyone.

The big problem with Popa is that many people were calling for his head before he left, and his playing style was fairly one-dimensional. I’m always banging on about the club making decisions based on what they see behind the scenes regardless of whinging fans, but the fact is that we are a member based organisation and the fans will exert some pressure on the leaders. Popa especially will come under a scrutiny and if we are playing average 4-2-3-1 stuff in pre-season there will be people calling for his head by the first game.

What we really need right now is an appointment that no-one can argue with. A proven managerial winner. Lederer needs to realise that the fans are sick of what they’ve been seeing and open the purse strings to bring in someone with a record of success. He should let that guy bring his own staff but insist on some locals to help with the salary cap and advising on Aussie talent. We need a full proper football staff, with scouts etc. A setup that will actually seem like it can realise our ambition of top 3.

Failing that, Popa is probably the best bet!

Popovic left.Went to another club and got sacked for the same reason Gumby did....poor results. Nope.

If we have to have a new manager then make it someone from outside the HAL....not a another merry go round manager like Lowe, Okon....etc or you end up with the same situation as we have now with HAL players doing the HAL foxtrot from club to club.

If the club wants change then it has to do just that, change...I don't  have the optimism they are capable of doing it.

Edited by sonar
1 hour ago, Unlimited said:

I'd like someone new, a fresh start for a new season

Not someone on the merry-go-round as some others have pointed out

So not Lowe or Okon or Bleiburg or Okon or that guy who just got fired from Wellington or Okon or Vidosic or Okon

Just not Okon

Kosmina then

at least we can do the song

”don’t cry for me John Kosmina...

75% of our fans that talk on social media are muppets.

It's the same braying morons who complained  bitterly that we weren't  'playing our best 11' in s2 & s3 while we were traveling around the world to play matches midweek and expect the rbb to be dancing monkeys for their amusement and blame them for every issue in world football when they won't dance how they are told.

This place is paradise in comparison. We have disagreed all year about gumby but it's reasoned debate not nonsensical babbling.

In terms of a new manager - i still say milicic in.

45 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

75% of our fans that talk on social media are muppets.

It's the same braying morons who complained  bitterly that we weren't  'playing our best 11' in s2 & s3 while we were traveling around the world to play matches midweek and expect the rbb to be dancing monkeys for their amusement and blame them for every issue in world football when they won't dance how they are told.

This place is paradise in comparison. We have disagreed all year about gumby but it's reasoned debate not nonsensical babbling.

In terms of a new manager - i still say milicic in.

a large chunk seem to think gombau won the a league with Adelaide 

Some of my favs

“keep gombau... Popa juat played boring and ineffective football”

yes winning a acl, premiers plate and three grand finals was crap wasn’t it, better to win the pocession stats

“We were terrible for his last two seasons” - I must have imagined the Adelaide trip

“Baccus getting sent of is due to the lack of discipline of Popas team that gonbau was trying to change”

I totally get the view that if gombau had his squad and off season he might have succeeded, he might have. But some of the stuff people post is crazy. 

weird

Edited by StringerBellend

The rumours I hear suggest Gumby didn't lose the change room, he actively tore players apart and abused them not on the basis of how they played but simply because he doesn't like them.  Sounds like a great manager of players and, if true, explains why several players played like they had no confidence...

I agree with those who maintain we had a good squad on paper.  It is better than Newcastle, for example.  Which Newy players would any of us have swapped at the beginning of the season?  Who would have taken on Nabboutt or even Hoffman.  As someone else pointed out, Merrick has taken a pretty ordinary squad and made them a top 2 team - as Popa did in season 1,2 and ACL.  We would have been the poorest squad on paper in the final stages of the ACL and somehow won.  A good manager, the type we desperately need, is one who can take a group of fairly ordinary players with 1-2 quite good players (about all the A League can really expect) and make them a winning team.  He needs to be able to squeeze the very best out of each player and bring them together into a team.  He needs to be able to see the potential in each player and extract the best from them.  He needs to be able to build a unified team who fight for each other, the club and Western Sydney.  We need raw, gutsy football that leaves everything on the field and that culture comes from club, supporters, players and most of all the bloke who brings them together, fires them up, pushes them to the limits and is there for them at every point.  The coach we need is one who rolls up their sleeves and give it all for WSW and expects nothing less from his men. 

Don't think that was Gumby, unfortunately. 

30 minutes ago, wendybr said:

^^^ Great post BFTW....although the first bit is something that I'd like more details about - as verification.

It doesn't seem to gel with most other versions of him as a coach that are floating about.

:):)

Have heard what @BoyFromTheWest from a few people now.

Ive also heard from a prominent NYL player that he thinks Gombau doesn't like him and makes him train with the other NYL players, considering he has a first team contract. Didn't  think much of it at the time, but now...

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic