Gombau Sacked By Wanderers

13 hours ago, Carns said:

I realise that this is a troll, but...

You've got 20k more seats available per game.

How does that work when quite a few games were played at ANZ?

If you could get the RBB to put their toys back in the pram and turn up then attendance would be better.

12 hours ago, mack said:

You must be so proud of that 2700 average advantage in a season you had two derbies.

And you're still 2800 behind Melbourne Victory lol. :rofl:

I don't think any team will ever get more fans than MV, until maybe South Melbourne Hellas is admitted to the HAL.

1 minute ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Don't you start talking about the flares, your lot have lit way more than us in your holding hands, rainbow flags and singing peace marches. Fckn faggots will always be jealous that you don't have something so big in your trophy cabinet instead something big is in your mouth.

Now now, Gremlin. No need to get your undies in a bunch. This is just banter, about football, where we can have a laugh. It's not that serious. The homophobic rant is a bit over the top.

The Smurfs at their peak. Let's wait and see how much will be left of that harmony in three years time.

The smurf match day experience as of next season will dampen the mood considerably. Playing in an oval: don't we just know how yum that is.

A southern expansion will kill off any further growth potential long term. The new mansion will feel as spacious as the current one. The music will play elsewhere. 

The HAL running itself will sever the trusted old Smurf-FFA link. No more wrist slapping for salary cap breaches, and unpunished flare orgies.

Despite an awful season on and off field - not even making the 6 - and being homeless for the last 2 seasons, I think being only 50,000 behind the 'greatest all time team in the history of sport' seems pretty good.

I wonder how many SFC will decamp to a suburban oval for your own period of homelessness before returning to the new 'Alan Jones Sports and Cricket Grounds'? 

5 minutes ago, FCB said:

The Smurfs at their peak. Let's wait and see how much will be left of that harmony in three years time.

The smurf match day experience as of next season will dampen the mood considerably. Playing in an oval: don't we just know how yum that is.

A southern expansion will kill off any further growth potential long term. The new mansion will feel as spacious as the current one. The music will play elsewhere. 

The HAL running itself will sever the trusted old Smurf-FFA link. No more wrist slapping for salary cap breaches, and unpunished flare orgies.

I think you forget that things happened in the HAL before wests joined the comp. E.g. smurfs played some home games at Kogarah oval, had unsuccessful and disliked coaches, had players who thought they were bigger than the club, finished outside the top 6, etc.

And smurf fans have said to wests fans "you guys will have lean years too, it's the nature of football" but the response was a very haughty "no, we're different!". We're always going to be top 2, playing the ACL, etc etc.

As for the old smurf-FFA link conspiracy theory, only one of the two Sydney clubs was fully owned and operated by the FFA, and that club's most successful years were during FFA ownership, when flares could be let off with impunity. Now that someone else owns the club, reality has set in. The horror.

Expansion? I think it's wrong to put another team anywhere in Sydney but it's equally likely that Campbelltown will buy the Wellington licence before the southern expansion side starts. That's going to eat into wests territory. The next team should be in Brisbane or Canberra.

5 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Despite an awful season on and off field - not even making the 6 - and being homeless for the last 2 seasons, I think being only 50,000 behind the 'greatest all time team in the history of sport' seems pretty good.

I wonder how many SFC will decamp to a suburban oval for your own period of homelessness before returning to the new 'Alan Jones Sports and Cricket Grounds'? 

Yep, could be ugly, especially with a new coach, whoever that will be. The smurfs have been through that before. It's only new for wests.

They should not be rebuilding Allianz, totally against that. Alan Jones is a tosser.

Just now, pudispencer said:

Yep, could be ugly, especially with a new coach, whoever that will be. The smurfs have been through that before. It's only new for wests.

They should not be rebuilding Allianz, totally against that. Alan Jones is a tosser.

How do you feel about the temp ground choice. Smurfs I know largely would have preferred more games at Leichhardt and Kogarah with scg or even anz for derby?

Leichhardt would be a better atmosphere than Allianz, instead they have gone for an oval.

Which btw I can see sense in staying close to Allianz, fans don’t have to change their routine.

I guess it’s choice between 

Terrible atmosphere Oval near home or 

rectangular stadium a little bit away from home 

Of course we got worst of both worlds an oval nowhere near home.

48 minutes ago, pudispencer said:

Shame about that. :ninja:

Probably need more flares.

Just need to win

Still think despite all the SOP issues if we had your lots results in last two seasons our crowds would be way higher, but unfortunately it’s just a theory. 

Damage was done with thinking that having half a marquee and also  Borda, Jumpei and Pinatares as acceptable foreign signings would work. 

(Braces my self for the full force of team #ingombauwetrustitaallpopasfault)

24 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

How do you feel about the temp ground choice. Smurfs I know largely would have preferred more games at Leichhardt and Kogarah with scg or even anz for derby?

Leichhardt would be a better atmosphere than Allianz, instead they have gone for an oval.

Which btw I can see sense in staying close to Allianz, fans don’t have to change their routine.

I guess it’s choice between 

Terrible atmosphere Oval near home or 

rectangular stadium a little bit away from home 

Of course we got worst of both worlds an oval nowhere near home.

The SCG will be horrible for football. Too big and too far from the action. But as you say, routine / location and transport facilities probably swayed the decision. I never liked the SCG for watching rugby league finals there many years ago. I don’t even like ANZ that much - most fans are a long way from the pitch. I hope the Allianz rebuild gets cancelled. Waste of money. Kogarah is closer to where I live so that’s good but yeah, the oval shap is not good. The new parramatta stadium will be very good.

24 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Just need to win

Still think despite all the SOP issues if we had your lots results in last two seasons our crowds would be way higher, but unfortunately it’s just a theory. 

Damage was done with thinking that having half a marquee and also  Borda, Jumpei and Pinatares as acceptable foreign signings would work. 

(Braces my self for the full force of team #ingombauwetrustitaallpopasfault)

Yep, no doubt. Winning fixes almost everything, and it’s even sweeter after some poor years.

Popa’s signings were hit and miss. And my view is that his man management only suits a certain type of player so some signings could have been good but didn’t cope with the regime. And that (man mgt) is just as important as anything else.

4 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Last part of your paragraph, I mean in Brazil say São Paulo there are about 7 professional clubs in top tier together but as long as you keep to your boundary then your safe but São Paulo is so big I mean we talking 20 odd million people and each club has there own territory within São Paulo most clubs were either started by migrants ( Palmeiras Italian) or by Brazilian Portuguese community ( Corinthians) but problem with clubs in these areas is fight for survival pretty much. But Campbelltown for me is good area to start but they need to stay in there area and not come into western Sydney Wanderers border ( Fairfield ) but it can work but expect there to be problems if Campbelltown starts invading easts territory then you got problems but as I said in São Paulo there are subways lines that have the names of those clubs so palestra ( Palmeiras) Corinthians santos etc but they are all in different regions or territories in São Paulo or if you are like my hometown, Porto Alegre you just have two teams ( the monkeys inter, and the mighty Grêmio who were started by German and Italian migrants). So easy enough FFA will follow suite to what São Paulo has which is having clubs run so close to each other it won't be funny but humiliating. Anyway do you think they should just call this expansion Campbelltown bid Campbelltown United or are they going to go with south west United I mean they can't really call it south western Sydney because it will sound to much like western Sydney Wanderers 

I don’t know much about Brazil but I assume football is the main sport? With a much larger population I guess it can support more teams and as you say, boundaries are more established. There is a lot of competition between codes here in Sydney and the other codes get better backing from the press which makes it harder for the round ball game. As for Campbelltown, yeah - if they go with South Western Sydney it’s going to be a bit stupid. But FFA does stupid quite well, so who knows. If they must add another Sydney club then they should promote an NPL club that already has a fan-base and existing structure to build on. But I still think Brisbane or Canberra should be up next. 

Just watched two videos of Newcastle United fans singing during and after a loss at Goodison park. Watching fans in love with their unsteady club, their mid table team, their journeyman manager, shows how far we've fallen.

Love to lay it all at the feet of our management, but things were going bad when they took over. Popa's attitude was deteriorating, word was getting round that we were a tinpot club behind closed doors, fans were turning on each other. It was only a matter of time until what was festering beneath the facade would bubble through to the light of day.

Some love needs to be restored to the club and soon. Watching our management scurry about trying to paint over cracks tells me they need an attitude adjustment before things bottom out. You can laugh when a Newcastle fan punches a horse or Ashley tries to sell the naming rights of the stadium. You won't see Wanderers fans singing joyfully about the Allianz canteen during and after a loss away to the Jets

1 hour ago, pudispencer said:

I think you forget that things happened in the HAL before wests joined the comp. E.g. smurfs played some home games at Kogarah oval, had unsuccessful and disliked coaches, had players who thought they were bigger than the club, finished outside the top 6, etc.

And smurf fans have said to wests fans "you guys will have lean years too, it's the nature of football" but the response was a very haughty "no, we're different!". We're always going to be top 2, playing the ACL, etc etc.

As for the old smurf-FFA link conspiracy theory, only one of the two Sydney clubs was fully owned and operated by the FFA, and that club's most successful years were during FFA ownership, when flares could be let off with impunity. Now that someone else owns the club, reality has set in. The horror.

Expansion? I think it's wrong to put another team anywhere in Sydney but it's equally likely that Campbelltown will buy the Wellington licence before the southern expansion side starts. That's going to eat into wests territory. The next team should be in Brisbane or Canberra.

Yeah, whatever.

Both Smurf FC and the Cove have been lying in bed with FFA ever since the club was moved by Lowy to the East. Glory had their balls busted for their salary cap breach, while a Lowy owned Smurf FC got away very lightly. It is an open secret the Smurf FC played with three marquees this season. The self run HAL can't come soon enough.

The lean years are the result of the move away from Parra, botched recruitment, and the Popa/Gombau debacle. One of them could have been compensated for, but not two or even three at once. The club made it harder for themselves than it should or could have been.

Ask those who were banned en mass in the first couple of years and had an anti terror organization covering their public and private moves, under FFA ownership, how much they felt the FFA's love showering over them.

I will cut FFA some slack once they come down on the Cove as hard as the do with the RBB. 15 flares when Terry Mc was sent off by the Cove, and the outrage of both FFA and media was, well, non existent. Funny that.

Sydney is big enough to accommodate four clubs, but the current administration should not be involved in any further strategic decisions. They couldn't organize a screw in a brothel.

Edited by FCB
1 hour ago, ColdRock said:

Just watched two videos of Newcastle United fans singing during and after a loss at Goodison park. Watching fans in love with their unsteady club, their mid table team, their journeyman manager, shows how far we've fallen.

Love to lay it all at the feet of our management, but things were going bad when they took over. Popa's attitude was deteriorating, word was getting round that we were a tinpot club behind closed doors, fans were turning on each other. It was only a matter of time until what was festering beneath the facade would bubble through to the light of day.

Some love needs to be restored to the club and soon. Watching our management scurry about trying to paint over cracks tells me they need an attitude adjustment before things bottom out. You can laugh when a Newcastle fan punches a horse or Ashley tries to sell the naming rights of the stadium. You won't see Wanderers fans singing joyfully about the Allianz canteen during and after a loss away to the Jets

we are miles away from this level of rusted on support. too many theatre goers in that first couple of seasons, no culture of rain, hail or shine support in this country, rubbish stadiums, no inter-generational, passed down support etc etc

4 hours ago, ColdRock said:

Hardly a fair comparison....Newcastle have 126 years of history compared with our 6 !!

4 hours ago, FCB said:

Yeah, whatever.

Both Smurf FC and the Cove have been lying in bed with FFA ever since the club was moved by Lowy to the East. Glory had their balls busted for their salary cap breach, while a Lowy owned Smurf FC got away very lightly. It is an open secret the Smurf FC played with three marquees this season. The self run HAL can't come soon enough.

I will cut FFA some slack once they come down on the Cove as hard as the do with the RBB. 15 flares when Terry Mc was sent off by the Cove, and the outrage of both FFA and media was, well, non existent. Funny that.

Well, this sounds like the same old excuses for whenever wests are not doing well. And this despite the fact that the FFA owned them and that the FFA doesn't follow through with points deductions for the RBB's bad behaviour. The RBB is the reason every active supporter group has been targeted by the authorities.

p.s. I think you meant to say "Saint Terry". 😂

1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

Hardly a fair comparison....Newcastle have 126 years of history compared with our 6 !!

Newcastle have had 126 years of being ****. They have won bugger all and are followed by a bunch of shoe waving shirtless fatties.

I don’t mean all of that but felt like a rant 

49 minutes ago, pudispencer said:

Well, this sounds like the same old excuses for whenever wests are not doing well. And this despite the fact that the FFA owned them and that the FFA doesn't follow through with points deductions for the RBB's bad behaviour. The RBB is the reason every active supporter group has been targeted by the authorities.

The police (and FFA) turned a blind eye at the ANZ Sydney Derby when 3-5 flares were lit AND no action by the police or FFA.

Don't tell us there is no favouritism towards Eastern Suburbs FC and their supporters.

And where was the condemnation of the Easts fans who pulled knives on Melb Victory fans in Sydney.

Smurfs are protected species as far as the FFA are concerned.

No banter on these as they are facts.

1 hour ago, pudispencer said:

come on man you are controlled by the bloke that is the godfather of the whole sport in this country and putin's ******* banker. the whole thing is run for your benefit - its fine, it happens all around world football. just embrace it.

35 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

come on man you are controlled by the bloke that is the godfather of the whole sport in this country and putin's ******* banker. the whole thing is run for your benefit - its fine, it happens all around world football. just embrace it.

And where does this so called Saint play Football now?

in the heartland in the west.

and on the Russian thing, looks like Eastern Suburbs FC is money laundering with the FFA looking on. No wonder they don’t get investigated for salary cap breaches

24 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

And where does this so called Saint play Football now?

in the heartland in the west.

and on the Russian thing, looks like Eastern Suburbs FC is money laundering with the FFA looking on. No wonder they don’t get investigated for salary cap breaches

great book by James Montague called the Billionaire's Club about exactly that. the reasons that these people invest in o/s football clubs - money laundering, 'image' laundering and especially in the case of russians it is protection just in case you happen to cross the big boss - harder to knock off someone known as the 'owner of big club fc'. travtovenko fits the profile perfectly.

17 hours ago, pudispencer said:

As a Smurf you would say that, of course. Our view points regarding the preferential treatment, or being targeted, by FFA and media are very different, as are the views of "explanation" vs "excuse".

When two do the same thing it is not the same.
Smurfs walking into the active away bays at Allianz. No response from FFA. Had a subset of the RBB done the same at the other end, all hell would have broken lose.
A Smurf stab a VIC supporter. Move on, nothing to see here.
A man murders his wife. The DT goes out of their way to put a photo of the couple wearing WSW jerseys on the title page.
The list goes on.
Harper, the Smurf ex CEO, and Slater, Arnie's old buddies, giving weekly impersonations of objectivity - what a laugh.
The points deduction threat - DeBohun's (over)reaction from Dec 2013/Jan 2014 hangs over the league like a smelly old fart. I wish they had deducted the points back then, and be over and done with it. The longer this lingers the more concerned FFA get of the ramifications for the league.

17 hours ago, Carns said:

Hatamoto were causing issues with active supporter groups well before 2012.

FFDU did a fan forum in Sydney and Melbourne a number of years before WSW were even mentioned.

And in the Melbourne one, they were questioned why Hatamoto were employed and pointed out the head of Hatamoto sitting in the front row! Lyall Gorman was the head of HAL at the time and announced that Hatamoto contract was recently extended, which was met with a huge chorus of boos. Also, no real answer was given. As is usual.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic