Gombau Sacked By Wanderers

5 minutes ago, WestGrub said:

Midfield was diabolical during his time.

Lustica - Roly - Carrusca

Seriously, what the hell is that meant to achieve?

You have a system and you have the players. Railroading what you have into your system, is not good managment.

The team functioned much better under Foxe. We obviously should have stuck with the ranga. Instead we played Gomball and finished 7th in a painfully average competition. 

Agree with you on the point 'team functioned better under Foxe', but i don't think Carrusca and diabolical should be mentioned in the same sentence.

3 hours ago, GoatyMcGoatFace said:

kamau is better than anything we have right now(minus one player which popa brought in and one player which gombau brought in), also that other young guy who has huge props on him Tongyik but if popa signed him all he would do is leave him on the bench forever and sell him to newcastle

Not saying they are bad signings just not earth shattering. 

As for the leaving on bench and selling to the jets, the only 2 players popa let go that did anything were Mooy and Elrich neither of which you could call youth, for all the promise of our youth players most of them are now back in the NPL. 

Anyhow Popa is irrelevant to it, won’t e him that they get in.

lets hope they get it right this time

59 minutes ago, Jukes01 said:

Look I have no idea why it takes players forever to get Gombau's system. Maybe Australian players are more naive and difficult to coach. In any case when the club hired Gombau they should have expected that it would take time for him to get the squad to play his way. In particular when he came in part way through the season, they were not his signings, not involved in the preseason, he was fighting player revolts left right and centre. I don't think its unreasonable the season we had. I think a lot of coaches would have found it difficult. In fact Foxe was struggling in the first 5 games with 1 win ( a good display) and then 4 draws (average) and it looked like the same continuation from the Popa era when he changed our style of play. Even still I think Gombau deserved an extra season particularly as I noticed we were actually starting to play some decent football, starting with the Victory match. What cost us in the matches against Victory and Adelaide was ill discipline from the players.

What makes this even worse now is that Gombau has already signed a few players which will make the new coaches job just as hard as what Gombau's was. Whoever we get we need to allow them 2 years at least. I am afraid to say it but we could quite easily have a repeat next year. 

What cost us against Adelaide was our defence being a shambles, how many times did they play a long ball behind us? 

1 minute ago, lloydy136 said:

FFS - this is only being reported because we are in a state of shambles. Just about every team from AA5 up have the odd blow up at training. The Bulls from the Jordan era are one of the greatest teams in sports history and its well documented that he got into multiple fist fights with team mates during this time - its fairly normal. its how its handled that matters. I would say that those aghast need to have a think about some of the teasm that they themsleves have played in over the years and some of the training ground/dressing room stuff that has happened.

Those that want to throw Santa under the bus - santa our most loyal and passionate player - because he had a squabble at training and spoke out about our **** house manager being **** house just shows how fickle fans are these days. I would back Santa 100 times out of 100 over gumby and would offer him a new deal tomorrow - he needs to retire as a wanderer.

I've played in multiple teams and NEVER had a fist fight with anyone I played with. NEVER.

Most here have played a team sport of some sort, not all of it football but the team ethics are the same.You put in. The last team(s) I played in was Indoor cricket..we played five seasons,we went up a division each season and won three GF'S out of four that we played and made the finals each time.I was captain for the three seasons we won the comp. I didn't wear crap from my team mates,they put in or got told see ya.You don't undermine your fellow players and their efforts with dummy spits and fist fights. 

Mack,

Gombau was signed to win games. Period. He was reminded of that after the ANZ derby debacle. He chose to ignore it. Instead he voiced that he "will not change", and was again talking about a "project" in the presser after Rd 27. 

It may just be that club officials did not understand what they'd gotten themselves into. It may also be that Gombau, going by his Nov 1st press conference, misrepresented himself to club and public. What seems certain is that a serious football club with hardened pros in the squad is one bridge to far for him. 

Gombau is not a serious HAL manager. Winning titles is not a matter of football going in cycles, as he seems to believe. His shortcomings were plentiful, and he paid the price. That's all there is to it. A classic case of a misunderstanding.

As Gombau said numerous times himself this season: "that's football".

Whilst I have some sympathy for Gambau being sacked so soon into a contract I am not unhappy with the decision. His team selection particularly sticking with Roly, Carusca, Bachus (jnr & snr), Cejuda and Sotirio after they constantly put in bad performances was unacceptable. So was his hesitancy in making substitutions and lack of blooding members of the youth team.

The decision has been made. Lets get on with recruiting a coach who believes in an attacking style of football and who can demonstrate loyalty from his/her players (is the Matilda's coach available???).

As for the squad its time for a purge (i.e. Roly, Carusca, Cejudo, Bachus jnr, Sotirio, Bridge, Thwaite) and buy a decent CB ,midfield player and winger. Fill the rest of the team with the existing players and rotations from the youth team. The reality of the A-League in its current state  is that we can only afford 1 or 2 decent overseas players (it is a waste of time spending money on mediocre players) and we will only hold on to decent young players for 2-3 seasons at most (until they are lured overseas).

Get a coach who understands this and fits the description above and we should be sweet!!! Otherwise it will be another season of purgatory.

Bloody Hell

I was okay for Gombau to have a season with a squad he picked, but it seems he lost the support of quite a few and ulimately the board. You've got to have confidence in, and respect for, the Gaffer

We need the absolute best judgement right now from the powers that be re our next move. We need to ask who we want to be. What kind of club we want be.. but mostly, we must move forward

1 hour ago, sonar said:

I've played in multiple teams and NEVER had a fist fight with anyone I played with. NEVER.

Most here have played a team sport of some sort, not all of it football but the team ethics are the same.You put in. The last team(s) I played in was Indoor cricket..we played five seasons,we went up a division each season and won three GF'S out of four that we played and made the finals each time.I was captain for the three seasons we won the comp. I didn't wear crap from my team mates,they put in or got told see ya.You don't undermine your fellow players and their efforts with dummy spits and fist fights. 

Adrenaline and testosterone are important ingredients in a successful footballer. I'll take the odd heated exchange between teammates any day, a great way to get the blood pumping

Just now, matty said:

Adrenaline and testosterone are important ingredients in a successful footballer. I'll take the odd heated exchange between teammates any day, a great way to get the blood pumping

Yes this is no biggie, its a little bit different though if the manager starts being undermined by staff or players. 

3 minutes ago, matty said:

That's all well and good if they put in on the field. We didn't.

I'm not upset, I could take him or leave him, but there are a few things I don't understand.

• I don't understand people saying we had a good squad.

3.5 out of 5 foreigners were/are pish. Jumpei, Roly, Cejudo - garbage. Llorente was decent on the dribble and the odd cross, but got caught out too much and couldn't finish to save himself, and plays in a position where you only need solid performances so is a waste of a visa spot anyway. Riera was the only one worth the cash and visa spot. Then you have a returning club legend who was past it and another on the way out. Injuries and a disappearing captain at CB. One DM who clearly should have stayed with his family in the UK and rumours are he has a penchant for the wives and girlfriends of teammates. The other midfielders are promising locals with a petulant side - whether it's punching annoying gits near the airport or lashing out at the opposition in a must win game. And the cherry on top - a young bloke who can run fast but has touch as bad as his parents' spelling. Good squad??

• I don't understand why some people seem willing to give the players a free pass because of the actions of the manager, but they aren't willing to give the manager a free pass because of the actions of the club.

It was clear from about three weeks in that things were being handled badly.  When your new coach says his method takes time to implement, and then the CEO comes out and says "we're a big club, we win" you know you've got a problem. This was a shambles, like so many other things the club has done since Lyle Gorman left.

• I don't understand people wanting Popa back.

We need to move FORWARD. Popa needs to go somewhere else and learn his craft even more so that if he does come back one day he comes back a better coach that can take us forward. Too many people were burnt by Popa and his head will be on the chopping block from day one. The new person needs a honeymoon period, and Popa won't get one.

5 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I'm not upset, I could take him or leave him, but there are a few things I don't understand.

• I don't understand people saying we had a good squad.

3.5 out of 5 foreigners were/are pish. Jumpei, Roly, Cejudo - garbage. Llorente was decent on the dribble and the odd cross, but got caught out too much and couldn't finish to save himself, and plays in a position where you only need solid performances so is a waste of a visa spot anyway. Riera was the only one worth the cash and visa spot. Then you have a returning club legend who was past it and another on the way out. Injuries and a disappearing captain at CB. One DM who clearly should have stayed with his family in the UK and rumours are he has a penchant for the wives and girlfriends of teammates. The other midfielders are promising locals with a petulant side - whether it's punching annoying gits near the airport or lashing out at the opposition in a must win game. And the cherry on top - a young bloke who can run fast but has touch as bad as his parents' spelling. Good squad??

• I don't understand why some people seem willing to give the players a free pass because of the actions of the manager, but they aren't willing to give the manager a free pass because of the actions of the club.

It was clear from about three weeks in that things were being handled badly.  When your new coach says his method takes time to implement, and then the CEO comes out and says "we're a big club, we win" you know you've got a problem. This was a shambles, like so many other things the club has done since Lyle Gorman left.

• I don't understand people wanting Popa back.

We need to move FORWARD. Popa needs to go somewhere else and learn his craft even more so that if he does come back one day he comes back a better coach that can take us forward. Too many people were burnt by Popa and his head will be on the chopping block from day one. The new person needs a honeymoon period, and Popa won't get one.

This.

4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

He’s stirring, would he want gombau at his club? 

Not stirring at all. No organisation should stand for its employees fighting or undermining the manager. It should have been stamped out. As for Gombau, I think he's a good manager and the club has let him down by allowing him to be undermined. It was always going to be a difficult job following the person who built the club from scratch. Probably similar to Moyes coming in after Ferguson's long tenure at MU - the existing structures and culture are so strong it's almost impossible to effect change until there is a big cleanout. 

Edited by pudispencer
spleling
1 hour ago, FCB said:

Mack,

Gombau was signed to win games. Period. He was reminded of that after the ANZ derby debacle. He chose to ignore it. Instead he voiced that he "will not change", and was again talking about a "project" in the presser after Rd 27. 

It may just be that club officials did not understand what they'd gotten themselves into. It may also be that Gombau, going by his Nov 1st press conference, misrepresented himself to club and public. What seems certain is that a serious football club with hardened pros in the squad is one bridge to far for him. 

Gombau is not a serious HAL manager. Winning titles is not a matter of football going in cycles, as he seems to believe. His shortcomings were plentiful, and he paid the price. That's all there is to it. A classic case of a misunderstanding.

As Gombau said numerous times himself this season: "that's football".

There's not much point continuing this argument. The board clowns gave Gombau a 3 year deal and the impression that this season would be the foundation he built the next two on. And then sacked him 5 months later after they destroyed his credibility & authority with the playing group who couldn't shoot forwards if their life depended on it, with Popa's key attacking players Roly, Cejudo and Jumpei all scoring less than Brendan Hamill did.

The players, JT and the ownership clowns have no-one to blame next year. They sacked Gombau for not winning, their new bloke is going to have to make the top 4 at the minimum otherwise they are going to look like fools. Club doesn't have the luxury of wasting another season because of their ineptitude. If the club fails again this year the supporters will be livid.

1 hour ago, pudispencer said:

Not stirring at all. No organisation should stand for its employees fighting or undermining the manager. It should have been stamped out. As for Gombau, I think he's a good manager and the club has let him down by allowing him to be undermined. It was always going to be a difficult job following the person who built the club from scratch. Probably similar to Moyes coming in after Ferguson's long tenure at MU - the existing structures and culture are so strong it's almost impossible to effect change until there is a big cleanout. 

Totally disagree.  A decent Manager is a good man manger he doesn't stand for players undermining his/her authority, the Club manages the Club the Manager manages the players, you cant just expect to get respect you have to earn it or gain it, he never lost the dressing room because he simply never had it.  That game early in the season when the players changed the system at half time because it wasnt working is a classic example of them having no respect or no buy in for the Manager.  As for being a good tactical manager I've played and watched football for 50 years, when your midfield is absolutely hammered and you refuse to make a sub for 75 mins or you wait until you concede before throwing on a potential goalscorer or when you have one of the best Youth teams in the country and do not blood one youngster, I really question that you are a good manager.

Edited by scarcev
11 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Make of the following as you will. I was told this by an insider I know who works within the club:

- JT and Josep had a falling out

- Josep made an ultimatum that it was either he or Riera

- Popa has NOT been contacted 

If that was the case then Gombau would have walked anyway. Its a total lack of trust from the club. This is not about Riera by the way who I think is a good striker for us, but how can you work like this as a manager if the club isn't prepared to back you. 

18 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Make of the following as you will. I was told this by an insider I know who works within the club:

- JT and Josep had a falling out

- Josep made an ultimatum that it was either he or Riera

- Popa has NOT been contacted 

i would say we get rid of all 3 if we have to get rid of gombau, no player is bigger than the club and there are a lot of players who think they are not replaceable(santa i am looking at you, i hope you are looking at the door)

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic