Gombau Sacked By Wanderers

5 minutes ago, GoatyMcGoatFace said:

he really is a bitter piece of **** tbh, i actually thought bruce showed class in his reply to this unlike robbie who shows zero class in anything

We don't know what happened between them. Maybe Robbie was really angry and felt unfairly treated, this is hardly a stinging riposte. More like a poor bit of sarcasm, maybe a touch of schadenfreude on Robbie's part

Edited by beatsurrender
10 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

We don't know what happened between them. Maybe Robbie was really angry and felt unfairly treated, this is hardly a stinging riposte. More like a poor bit of sarcasm, maybe a touch of schadenfreude on Robbie's part

Yes but the rule “if you haven’t got anything nice to say don’t saying at all” would have been a good one to stick to. It doesn’t come across well

8 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

Classy work by the club at the awards thing freezing out gumby like he is the year 8 kid that no one likes.

Again we don't know what went down. How and when what was communicated. It's an awkward situation and these things are always hard to judge as everyone is human and reacts differently. One thing for sure this puts the cap on the grubbiest and most disappointing season ever. On and off the park.

4 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Understand what you mean but club wants to go for a German from what I've heard schuster currently coaching Darmstadt and that leaves former Germany under 15 and borrusia monchengladblach coach Andre Schubert in the frame but who knows it could work I mean look at amor winning the league at his first year in charge for a non Aussie coach

I agree that it can work, and would be happy to have a (proven) European manager. Remember that most European managers have never had to deal within a salary capped system with heavy visa restrictions. Not to mention playing in an Australian summer with the travel Australian teams have to do (most Euro countries would fit into half of NSW). I'd be happy to get a quality overseas manager, the big question is how well they adapt to our circumstances.

14 minutes ago, Carns said:

I agree that it can work, and would be happy to have a (proven) European manager. Remember that most European managers have never had to deal within a salary capped system with heavy visa restrictions. Not to mention playing in an Australian summer with the travel Australian teams have to do (most Euro countries would fit into half of NSW). I'd be happy to get a quality overseas manager, the big question is how well they adapt to our circumstances.

When you put it that way, it is a hell of an ask for that manager (and his family) to come out here and be fairly successful, but I guess no more than trying your luck in Turkey.

Have read all the comments thus far in this thread, trying to stay objective but, Sydney derby home and Melb City away are compelling arguments to let Gomby out the door on their own! 

1 hour ago, Frankos187 said:

Yeh s

Yeh saw that, I thought Gombau needed to go....but this tweet was poor form

I'd agree that there is no need to kick a man when he's down.

I think RC must be quite 2 faced. I clearly remember him being on the Foxsports panel not long before he left, and speaking warmly about the new manager.

At that time...there was talk about unrest, but when I heard him say that, I though..."Good...things must be starting to gel."

Sure he was the captain, and had to be diplomatic but still...

I totally agree that this tweet is very poor form.

5 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I think RC must be quite 2 faced. I clearly remember him being on the Foxsports panel not long before he left, and speaking warmly about the new manager.

At that time...there was talk about unrest, but when I heard him say that, I though..."Good...things must be starting to gel."

Perhaps his comments were genuine and then things changed suddenly, resulting in his departure, and he felt betrayed.

1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

For what reason? Foxe was your typical 'temporary coach' and the team didn't reach any great heights (apart from 1st half v Perth) during his tenure culminating in a woeful show against 10-man Victory and FFA Cup defeat at the hands of Adelaide.

Because the team seemed to get along with Foxe compared to Gombau from what I read so far. 

He got the club to it's highest round in the FFA cup (Semi-Finals), our performance against Adelaide was s*it but still, a good result to get that far in the tournament.

When his role was taken over by Gombau in Round 4, the club was in 4th position and in previous seasons at the end of the round 4, we have been outside of the top 6. In fact, it is the 2nd time in our history we were in a top 6 position after the end of round 4. (We were in 2nd position in our 2nd season after round 4). Where we end up finishing? 7th...

For a 'temporary coach', I personally believe he provided a great performance for the club and it would of been interesting what would of happened if Foxe was in charge for the remainder for this season.

23 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Perhaps his comments were genuine and then things changed suddenly, resulting in his departure, and he felt betrayed.

Maybe...

He seemed a warm, intelligent, articulate person....who was very likeable.

It was probably only the week before he left that I remember him "on the couch" and speaking positively about Josep...and then...he wanted out (as I understand) and was gone. 

I'll withdraw the "two faced" comment, I might have been harsh with that...but the tweet is still pathetic.

20 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

He got the club to it's highest round in the FFA cup (Semi-Finals), our performance against Adelaide was s*it but still, a good result to get that far in the tournament.

Popa got us to the Semis since the Quarters were in September. And we had to beat Blacktown no penalties.

So Foxe had nothing to do with the FFA Cup other than resting players in the derby for the Semi and then losing it with a terrible performance.

The few bits and bobs that have been expressed by players so far are quite telling. What hasn't been said is quite telling as well. And the treatment Gombau got at the awards nights is a clear sign just how broken the relationship between club and Gombau was in the end.

Lederer not even six months ago: "Josep is a man of impeccable character; he is a family man and has great credentials to fit into our operations to continue the growth of this fantastic football club. I'm very happy if Josep stays forever as far as I'm concerned."

The mood certainly changed and soured since November.

This homeless period could not be going any worse for the club even if they tried. There comes a point where you’ve just gotta sit back and laugh at how much **** is happening because things really are lean right now haha

In all seriousness though and purely from my observations and knowledge of reported events and happenings as a member, there appears to be a real lack of operational efficiency and authority from the club. I feel as though everything that has and is going on has overwhelmed management to the point that we’re seeing a bit of panic that we’ve never had to see before. 

By no means are we any different to other clubs, they all go through this. **** happens. It was only a matter of years ago that we delightedly watched on as Sydney shot themselves in the foot for an enjoyable 18 months. So as always I think there are definitely some over reactions coming from members and fans too.

2 hours ago, wendybr said:

I totally agree that this tweet is very poor form.

he has outed himself as a two faced bitch

22 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Also guys on one of the channels on Foxtel sport a league finals classic is on guess which one:meep:

One that SFC won...or .....that we lost, I'm guessing? :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, hughsey said:

Make of the following as you will. I was told this by an insider I know who works within the club:

- JT and Josep had a falling out

- Josep made an ultimatum that it was either he or Riera

- Popa has NOT been contacted 

Hahahah Josep was on crack thinking we'd get rid of Riera.

Happy to see him go. I'll be even happier when JT goes.

And i wouldn't mind Popa being back. All this stuff about moving forward blah blah blah. The reality is we had 3 or 4 good to great seasons and only 1 dud season where owners decided to tighten up the purse strings.

And while i'm of the belief Gombau was a terrible manager and an absolute pain to work under, reading the posts in here do make me sympathise with him. He never should've been given the job.

I for one have no problems with the players revolting or speaking out. Players need to be managed, and like any workplace environment, if one is not happy they are not going to perform to the best of their abilities. It's the responsibility of the manager and the club as a whole to make the environment a positive and refreshing one.

Many in here have said that we can excuse the players because of the toxic environment and that it's not all Gumby's fault but it's that of the clubs. So when do we start rioting for JT's head?

I think we need a thread to list the successes and failures of JT in the last 3 years.

Successes - Getting Parramatta Stadium rebuilt. That's all i can think of.

Failures - Everything else. Recruitment of both players and coaching. SOP. Low crowds. Policing. Active Support. Losing our main sponsors. I'm sure there is so much more.

Hindsight is beautiful thing. Probably it was best to just go with Foxe the rest of the season and then re-evaluate after the season was over.

Gombau I guess will never know the real story behind close doors but whatever happened or changes he tried to make backfired and he  lost the dressing room and then JT I'm hearing wasn't happy that he wasn't actively viewing our Youth team to promote to the first team.

4 hours ago, Carns said:

One European manager who has worked under these conditions is Gombau.

How is this for a worst-case scenario :  Gombau takes over Perth, has immediate success and kicks our arse next season.  OUCH!

33 minutes ago, mack said:

Could be worse. He could take over SFC's winning team and win trophies immediately.

Hey mack do you reckon we will go for Andre Schubert I've heard he is what we are going for don't know what to make of him only know him from when he was head coach of borrusia monchengladblach but seems to be a guy who love the 3 5 2 imagine having Riera and santalab or even Riera and taggart imagine how many goals we will score plus I've heard this guy will be the head coach so what's your thoughts 

1 hour ago, Harv said:

One European manager who has worked under these conditions is Gombau.

How is this for a worst-case scenario :  Gombau takes over Perth, has immediate success and kicks our arse next season.  OUCH!

If he managed to do that, we'd deserve it!

:lol::lol:

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic