Squad Development 2018/19 Part 1

2 hours ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

I reckon hamill has been one of our best surprise players this season I mean the bloke stepped up when needed especially in the first derby he was solid but only thing that lets him down is his positioning but for me he can really come good under babbel as a player I don't know if anyone else agrees but he really stepped up when needed and I felt more comfortable with him in the back than Thwaite 

Agree, asked my son "who was your favourite player last season?" and he did not trawl out the usual suspects, Santa, biscuit, Iko, instead he said Hamil, "why?" I said, apparently he was impressed with his defending, attitude and goal scoring ability for a defender, also he could not understand why everyone had the knife out for him, generally thought he was trying his guts out for the shirt.

must admit I was pretty proud of my young fella's response, all made good sense to me.

44 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Agree, asked my son "who was your favourite player last season?" and he did not trawl out the usual suspects, Santa, biscuit, Iko, instead he said Hamil, "why?" I said, apparently he was impressed with his defending, attitude and goal scoring ability for a defender, also he could not understand why everyone had the knife out for him, generally thought he was trying his guts out for the shirt.

must admit I was pretty proud of my young fella's response, all made good sense to me.

There is no lack of application by Hamill, and he certainly had good moments last season, but not consistently. He has a red and black heart, and I would definitely like to see the gaff keep him in the squad, but is he starting 11? I could be wrong, and perhaps he might just be needing a smart, quality CB to guide him.

Hamill is a good CB. He can play, but not if he is exposed in a ridiculously high line.

We need a strong CB, Spira grade.

Baccus snr has been the source of unrest for months. If he is really not happy any longer and wants to re-create his own Partaalu/Vidosic/Troisi experience in Asia then let him go, and get Bozanic instead.

Put a 10 in front of Roly and Bozanic, or a 6 behind them, and Leroy George on the wing.

That'll be 16 senior players. 17 if you add Santa. Assess/bring up to speed the U21 players and fill up the squad with them.

The VIC won the title with a strong defensive unit in the middle, and fast creative wingers whingers who feed the CF. If George and Bozanic joining is true then we are not far off.

1 minute ago, FCB said:

Hamill is a good CB. He can play, but not if he is exposed in a ridiculously high line.

We need a strong CB, Spira grade.

Baccus snr has been the source of unrest for months. If he is really not happy any longer and wants to re-create his own Partaalu/Vidosic/Troisi experience in Asia then let him go, and get Bozanic instead.

Put a 10 in front of Roly and Bozanic, or a 6 behind them, and Leroy George on the wing.

That'll be 16 senior players. 17 if you add Santa. Assess/bring up to speed the U21 players and fill up the squad with them.

The VIC won the title with a strong defensive unit in the middle, and fast creative wingers whingers who feed the CF. If George and Bozanic joining is true then we are not far off.

I thought that Herd was also a problem off the park and then add Gombau inability to manage the squad, no wonder we were a rabble.

What do think of Peter Neimeyer as a CB?

15 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

I thought that Herd was also a problem off the park and then add Gombau inability to manage the squad, no wonder we were a rabble.

What do think of Peter Neimeyer as a CB?

Too old.

32 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Posted this in the wrong thread before.

Santi Carzorla has just been released. At 33 is he a genuine marquee option or too old and too injured?

yeah hasn’t played since october 2016, i wouldn’t take the chance on him.

33 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Santi Carzorla has just been released. At 33 is he a genuine marquee option or too old and too injured?

Big risk given he hasn't played for well over a year due to a pretty devastating achilles injury. Plus he'd still be expensive - and he looks like an ugly little weazel.

10 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

Big risk given he hasn't played for well over a year due to a pretty devastating achilles injury. Plus he'd still be expensive - and he looks like an ugly little weazel.

Definitely agree the playing gap is hard to overlook.

Wages would be interesting, many La Liga clubs offered to let him train but all came offering hugs, not contracts. He’d need to have his leg amputated if he got injured in China, I can’t see him there simply for health reasons.

MLS maybe? **** bundesliga team?

We shouldn’t be complaining about ugly. We’ve had both Mullen and Clisby on our squad list. Both have a face like a smashed crab

45 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

He is returning to Villarreal where it all began for him.

21 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Wages would be interesting, many La Liga clubs offered to let him train but all came offering hugs, not contracts. He’d need to have his leg amputated if he got injured in China, I can’t see him there simply for health reasons.

We shouldn’t be complaining about ugly. We’ve had both Mullen and Clisby on our squad list. Both have a face like a smashed crab

Don't care what they look like only if they play football:pardon:

23 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

I knew I'd cop it for that. But he does look like a weazel.

A couple of years ago, at a fan forum, JT was talking about the pitches in Australia being much harder than in Europe. It messes with the joints and muscles of players who aren't used to it, especially when they are injury prone already.

Ono, Castelen, Andreu, Cejudo, Vidosic - they needed extra TLC. We will want to have our marquees on the pitch. Big names in sick bay don't do any good. 

Hamill is a decent cb for hal and will be more consistent with a quality left footed cb next to him, still not impressed with roly or bozanic in attack especially if we go 442. If we end up trying a 442 I'd like to see Oreo and Majok up front giving us a height advantage, then can adjust playing style taking Majok off or to play wing. I seriously think Santa's time is up and won't get much game time. 

1 hour ago, FCB said:

A couple of years ago, at a fan forum, JT was talking about the pitches in Australia being much harder than in Europe. It messes with the joints and muscles of players who aren't used to it, especially when they are injury prone already.

Ono, Castelen, Andreu, Cejudo, Vidosic - they needed extra TLC. We will want to have our marquees on the pitch. Big names in sick bay don't do any good. 

I remember an Ante Milicic interview of sorts where he said the same thing in the other direction. When he went to Europe he suffered injuries because of the soft pitches and his body not coping.

1 hour ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

If roly goes then in midfield it will be bozanic and Baccus senior or bozanic and foreign cm or foreign cm and Baccus senior hmmmm

Baccus jnr may be in the mix as well

2 hours ago, Burgerman said:

Hamill is a decent cb for hal and will be more consistent with a quality left footed cb next to him, still not impressed with roly or bozanic in attack especially if we go 442. If we end up trying a 442 I'd like to see Oreo and Majok up front giving us a height advantage, then can adjust playing style taking Majok off or to play wing. I seriously think Santa's time is up and won't get much game time. 

I was one of Hamill's biggest critics...but he did OK last season....hopefully he can push on a bit more under the new Gaffer.

What this discussion shows is how important it is to get the visa players in the right POSITIONS.

As much as I like Raul, LB is a waste of a visa spot.

CB, DM, AM, ST, and a winger/attacker. The spine plus a vibrant wide attacker. That should be the starting point. Then if you manage to find a great Aussie striker or DM etc, you’re better off and can have another visa player in a luxury attacking position. 

I guess LB is kind of understandable because they’re so thin on the ground, but if you do that then a) you’ve gotta find some good Aussie talent in the important spine positions, and b) he’s got to be able to be very solid defensively at least, otherwise you might as well have an Aussie there.

16 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I guess LB is kind of understandable because they’re so thin on the ground

That, combined with the fact fullbacks are generally underpaid in the world football market is why left fullbacks get picked up by Australian clubs. Having 5 visa spots to play with also helps.

1 hour ago, btron3000 said:

What this discussion shows is how important it is to get the visa players in the right POSITIONS.

As much as I like Raul, LB is a waste of a visa spot.

CB, DM, AM, ST, and a winger/attacker. The spine plus a vibrant wide attacker. That should be the starting point. Then if you manage to find a great Aussie striker or DM etc, you’re better off and can have another visa player in a luxury attacking position. 

I guess LB is kind of understandable because they’re so thin on the ground, but if you do that then a) you’ve gotta find some good Aussie talent in the important spine positions, and b) he’s got to be able to be very solid defensively at least, otherwise you might as well have an Aussie there.

When Popa signed Llorente he had only played a handful of games in that position previously and was not specifically brought in as a LB. 

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/popovic-hails-squad-depth-after-llorente-signing

It would have been interesting to see if Popa used Raul differently to Gonebau.  Personally I'm hoping Babbel plays him higher up the park as Raul is a good crosser of the ball and can better utilize the strengths of Riera.

We should be building our team around our imports. unfortunately, East Sydney has shown us how to do it to great effect.

In my opinion, we played 3 imports out of position and underutilized the strengths of Riera who terrorised defenders in the air when given the service.   Gonebau played Raul in a secondary position.  Cejudo, a marquee I might add, came to us as a winger but hardly played there. Roly was most effective for Wellington playing higher up the park as an ACM rather than a DCM. Gonebau had him receiving a short pass from our CD's in our own half and then he passed sideways.  We were our own worst enemy. 

6 minutes ago, andypk said:

When Popa signed Llorente he had only played a handful of games in that position previously and was not specifically brought in as a LB. 

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/popovic-hails-squad-depth-after-llorente-signing

It would have been interesting to see if Popa used Raul differently to Gonebau.  Personally I'm hoping Babbel plays him higher up the park as Raul is a good crosser of the ball and can better utilize the strengths of Riera.

We should be building our team around our imports. unfortunately, East Sydney has shown us how to do it to great effect.

In my opinion, we played 3 imports out of position and underutilized the strengths of Riera who terrorised defenders in the air when given the service.   Gonebau played Raul in a secondary position.  Cejudo came to us as a winger but hardly played there. Roly was most effective for Wellington playing higher up the park as an ACM rather than a DCM. Gonebau had him receiving a short pass from our CD's in our own half and then he passed sideways.  We were our own worst enemy. 

Higher up the park? When we already have 5 wingers?

1 minute ago, Upthehill said:

Higher up the park? When we already have 5 wingers?

He was bought as an import so you'd like to think he'd improve the squad in his familiar position.  If he doesn't, we shouldn't have bought him.

Bridge has been poor, dito Jumpei. Sotirio isn't worth a mention. Ikonomidis was a revelation but right sided.  Cejudo right sided too. I'd say that if Raul was given a decent run of games higher up the park on the left he would have been a real asset and Riera would have benefitted.

5 minutes ago, andypk said:

He was bought as an import so you'd like to think he'd improve the squad in his familiar position.  If he doesn't, we shouldn't have bought him.

Bridge has been poor, dito Jumpei. Sotirio isn't worth a mention. Ikonomidis was a revelation but right sided.  Cejudo right sided too. I'd say that if Raul was given a decent run of games higher up the park on the left he would have been a real asset and Riera would have benefitted.

Right but that has nothing to do with this season. We have 2 orobably 3 new wingers

But he does improve the positions he’s brought in to play... LB. I’m not sure what you’re trying to say

1 minute ago, Upthehill said:

Right but that has nothing to do with this season. We have 2 orobably 3 new wingers

But he does improve the positions he’s brought in to play... LB. I’m not sure what you’re trying to say

Granted, this season our new recruits look good so far. Plenty of attacking options and I'm still hopeful for Leroy lol.  My initial comment was in reply to Btrons post about LB being a waste of a visa spot, hence the highlighted in bold.  I'm not convinced Popa brought Raul in to play LB, that was my initial point.

Just now, luisenrique said:

I'm sure I remember Raul saying in a post match interview, I think it was after winning in Gosford where he played at left back after playing left wing in the derby, that he doesn't like playing further forward.

He has said it a few times. His strength is coming from deep. He’s an overlap man, he won’t go making space and drawing defenders

54 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Guys got some news for ya on roly his wife said on instragram " see ya soon Perth" so appears something is happening. Me right now :xbop:

People haven't been this excited to see someone go since Jumpei. Or Borda. Or Piovaccari. Or Saba. Or Adeleke.

We certainly have had some disappointments.

• mack locked this topic