Squad Development 2018/19 Part 1

Roly is not a dud. Different horses for different courses.

Different players for different coaches.

Roly played for Ajax and Roda in Holland.

He also played for the Dutch u/17 and u/19 national team.

There's got to be a beast mode player inside him somewhere.

11 minutes ago, WanderingToqui said:

Roly is not a dud. Different horses for different courses.

Different players for different coaches.

Roly played for Ajax and Roda in Holland.

He also played for the Dutch u/17 and u/19 national team.

There's got to be a beast mode player inside him somewhere.

He had a reputation for laziness at Ajax. He was also a CB for the Dutch national youth teams and Ajax youth teams. 

Whilst he has skill on the ball, it doesn’t seem to have improved his decision making skills. Phoenix got 9 good months out of him and then 2 lack lustre years. He continued that with us.

I like the guy as a player but I can’t say I’m not ok with his spot being opened up. Babbel could bring someone he knows to partner someone like Bozanic.

1 hour ago, wswtragic said:

People haven't been this excited to see someone go since Jumpei. Or Borda. Or Piovaccari. Or Saba. Or Adeleke.

We certainly have had some disappointments.

Piovaccari  with bells on, how many players through this league see it has a holiday or a little adventure to come and play in Australia I wonder? I would be magnanimous and say none them , for they are professionals,  but sometimes when I'm watching a game ....I wonder.

Shame he turned out like that, I spoke to him at Rouse Hill shops one night just after he signed and gave him the old 'you give us 90 minutes we'll give you a lifetime' speech etc etc, really pumped his tyres up and he just goes and lets me down like that.

I'm not angry i'm just dissapointed.

I just won't be doing that again for any signing except.........

1 hour ago, Upthehill said:

Not even close. I actually think he’d go well with a coach like Babbel

It's not a matter of ball skills - he has that - it's decision-making. He was very poor at driving the attack this past season - killed promising moves by standing on the ball and looking for a link.

33 minutes ago, wanderersfanatic said:

With the world cup coming close, Would anyone know when the team will start reporting training camp? When does our first pre-season game start? 

Based on the FFA Cup Round of 32 match dates being from 24 July to 8 August, our first pre-season game will probably be a little bit earlier than usual (which is 15-30 July).

I wouldn't be surprised if we had it around the 5-10th of July and a second arranged for the week before our R32 match.

Return to training for the players is likely going to be at or around July 1.

35 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

It's not a matter of ball skills - he has that - it's decision-making. He was very poor at driving the attack this past season - killed promising moves by standing on the ball and looking for a link.

Isn’t that exactly what I said the post before?

37 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

My point was I don't think that can be coached - it's like Sotirio - no quality of coach can fix his lack of awareness.

Well that’s not entirely true either, there plenty of exercises and training to work on decisiveness.

But his issue was the final third. He should never have been there in the first place

1 minute ago, jimmy123 said:

am i the only one who takes gremio’s transfer rumours with a massive pinch of salt? 

You're not alone. It's a slow time of year. People look for anything to either say or hang off for more news

3 hours ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Also guys got some. More news for you and this is interesting so roly at the same time of his mate Italiano wedding apparently went to glory offices and asked for a contract and that he wants to quit Wanderers and **** so apparently Perth are in discussions with him on a contract hmmm why would you want to leave WSW under world class babbel to popovic a glory and you still have one year running on contract at WSW this guy has to be on something 

I think he was signed by Popovic and wanted to be part of a team that Popovic coached. Popa left, the Gombau experiment failed, and he most probably knows that if the new manager looks at his games for us last season he is not going to get much game time. Some of his performances were ordinary to say the least. 

I don't know why people were shocked a barely average foreign at the joint worst club in the league wasn't any good for us. Popa's plan was for Roly was basically the same role as Mitch Nichols, with Cejudo intended to be a wide creative player like Broich or Castro or Leroy. But both of them flopped. And Bridge, Sotirio, Baccus brothers etc couldn't pick up the goal scoring required to make up for that.

When I put his database entry in I wrote about how we would need to improve on his 5 goals a season record to justify his signing. Then our coaches tried him at AMC. Awful. Tried him at DM. Awful. Tried him on the wing. Awful.

He had a couple of decent games early in the season holding possession under pressure but ultimately he did nothing of value for us. He is a proven failure for us, and if we get the chance to get rid of him, he's not even a "previous manager signing" he's one from before the last manager.

We can do better, and we need to do better.

1 hour ago, mack said:

I don't know why people were shocked a barely average foreign at the joint worst club in the league wasn't any good for us. Popa's plan was for Roly was basically the same role as Mitch Nichols, with Cejudo intended to be a wide creative player like Broich or Castro or Leroy. But both of them flopped. And Bridge, Sotirio, Baccus brothers etc couldn't pick up the goal scoring required to make up for that.

When I put his database entry in I wrote about how we would need to improve on his 5 goals a season record to justify his signing. Then our coaches tried him at AMC. Awful. Tried him at DM. Awful. Tried him on the wing. Awful.

He had a couple of decent games early in the season holding possession under pressure but ultimately he did nothing of value for us. He is a proven failure for us, and if we get the chance to get rid of him, he's not even a "previous manager signing" he's one from before the last manager.

We can do better, and we need to do better.

Actually all players were awful last season excpet Riera and Vedran.

15 hours ago, jimmy123 said:

am i the only one who takes gremio’s transfer rumours with a massive pinch of salt? 

You're not the only one. Only redeeming factor for Leroy is that I have an alternate source I trust that says this is moving forward.

I thought I would test this out, I dropped the Bozanic bullshit in here off nothing other than a guess based on the two working together previously. 2 hours later Gremio confirmed it. Either Im a savant or Gremios mate is actually twitter

9 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Walker is pretty reliable too. He also says we are in talks with Spiranovic along with Perth and Melbourne

Hope he wants to work with Markus.

Spira did play in Germany so might want someone different to Popa.

• mack locked this topic