Squad Development 2018/19 Part 1

8 minutes ago, mack said:

I'm not seeing a lot of goals, even if they press the opposition for 90 minutes. I think unless the last signing is a gun attacking midfielder who can score & provide goals, we look like a 4th to 7th team again with the caveat that most of the league are rebuilding.

I think we've got better options for contributing ~10 goals each from Kamau / Roly / Fitz than we've had since Romeo / Dario / Mitch (or possibly even Hersi / Ono / Bridge), but with a far better #9 than any of those combos had in front of them.

Agree, it doesn't look like Liverpool's front four, but I think there's goals to be had if Babbel gets the boys gelling.

1 hour ago, TehSmileyBandit said:

Before our marquee #10 comes on board, this is not a bad looking side to fit the cattle:

Vedran

Hamill      Ziegler     Elrich

Rizzo                                            Llorente

Baccus Snr

Kamau                                   Fitzgerald / O'Doherty

Roly / O'Doherty

Riera

It appears that all & sundry are posting similar lineups, so let me clear up a couple of misconceptions. 

We've played a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 formation (some suggest 4 - 3 - 3) in both trial games I've witnessed.

Hamill & Tass have been our best CB pairing during the pre-season. Tongyik has been meh. He either has vision issues at night or is lazy / complacent.

Ziegler was on 360k Euros so he starts, Hamill will get 1st option on the other CB role. 

Based on pre-season form, Majok has all but locked down the LW role in our starting 11. He & Riera have gelled well together

Kamau is a toothpick & gets pushed off the ball far too easily. 

Fitz is likely to start at RW when fit / not injured.

Roly has been better, but still doesn't value possession

O'Doherty has been utilised as a DM with Grozos playing at #10, when the 2nd 11 / youff squad have taken the pitch in 2nd half.

Let's see what the friendly game tonight produces.

The statistics don't match the idea that Kamau/Roly/Fitzgerald are going to score more goals than previous players did barring a massive upshift in their performances under the Ubercoach. Those ex-players listed hover around 3 to 5 games per goal.

Fitzgerald is ~10 games per goal (17 goals in 164 games), Roly Bonevacia is ~7 games per goal (102 games for 15 goals) and Kamau is ~10 games per goal (71 games, 7 goals). Statistically we can expect the three of them combined to score 9 goals this year if they all play 27 games. I don't think they'll all play every game either.

And there's not a lot of goal-scorers in the rest of the squad apart from Riera who got 15 in 25 and most of our FFA Cup goals. Risdon has 2 career goals. Hamill has 3 for us, two of which came in one game. Roly only got 1 league goal last year. Baccus A & B have no goals. Sotirio has 6 in 55. Lachlan Scott only has 1 league goal in his 16 games. Llorente 0, Ziegler has 3 in his entire career, Tongyik 0, O'Doherty has 1 A-League goal for Adelaide. Tarek 7 in his almost 250 games. Kamau as above 7 in 71 games as an attacking winger. The rest of the squad are untried youth players.

Fitzgerald with 16 A-League goals has the 2nd highest total I believe in our squad behind Bridge at 58 and Riera in 3rd.

Looking at our squad, I think we're heading for a season similar to 16/17, where we scored 35, copped 35 and scraped into the top 6. That year Santalab scored 14 of the 35 goals and the rest came in small handfuls from the likes of Sotirio, Nichols, Martinez, Jumpei, Dimas and O. Goal. Our defense looks okay but not top 2 level, our attack looks okay but not top 2 level, and our midfield will look like a mishmash of Popa signings (Roly), Gombau signings (Fitzgerald, Kamau) and I presume a Babbel signing at attacking mid.

Fun times ahead then...

The benefit is, due to this stupid high turn over league, that everyone is rebuilding and those that gel quickest can get a decent lead in the top half of the ladder.

Our season could go either way. But I do like that Babbel says the system will fit the players he has, and not the other way round *cough* Gombau *cough*

With the change in domestic loan rules and the future possible change in domestic transfer fees, increase in teams and abolition the of the salary cap, this year may just have to be what it is. if all this happens for the 19/20 season, we could be in for an exciting return to Wonderland. Only problem for me is, i'm an impatient person and I want the A-League title this year. I guess we'll just need to sit back and wait to see Markus' playing style and who signs next.

In Markus we trust (for the time being)

1 hour ago, Taurus said:

It appears that all & sundry are posting similar lineups, so let me clear up a couple of misconceptions. 

We've played a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 formation (some suggest 4 - 3 - 3) in both trial games I've witnessed.

Hamill & Tass have been our best CB pairing during the pre-season. Tongyik has been meh. He either has vision issues at night or is lazy / complacent.

Ziegler was on 360k Euros so he starts, Hamill will get 1st option on the other CB role. 

Based on pre-season form, Majok has all but locked down the LW role in our starting 11. He & Riera have gelled well together

Kamau is a toothpick & gets pushed off the ball far too easily. 

Fitz is likely to start at RW when fit / not injured.

Roly has been better, but still doesn't value possession

O'Doherty has been utilised as a DM with Grozos playing at #10, when the 2nd 11 / youff squad have taken the pitch in 2nd half.

Let's see what the friendly game tonight produces.

Tongyik came for Gombau and must have been promised it. Now he has to earn it. 

As expected, 4-2-3-1

Here's my question for the week. Is the best squad and bench as follows

GK Janjetovic 

RB Risdon LB Llorente

CB answered already (Hamill and Ziegler)

DM Roly and Baccus Snr or O'Doherty 

RW, LW answered already Fitzgerald & Majok

AM Currently Grozos but likely to be foreign 

ST Riera

Bench Nizic, Kamau, Tass, Elrich, O'Doherty or Baccus Snr, Scott or Bridge

Oh for a seven or eight man bench.

2 hours ago, mack said:

I'm not seeing a lot of goals, even if they press the opposition for 90 minutes. I think unless the last signing is a gun attacking midfielder who can score & provide goals, we look like a 4th to 7th team again with the caveat that most of the league are rebuilding.

We still have a Marquee spot left which has been linked to attacking midfielders previously, so Babbel is obviously looking for quality in that AM position. We have strong depth in the wingers, with a lot of potential and speed. If we don't get an AM we aren't in a good spot, but if we do we should be fine.

I think we can push for higher than fourth. Vedran is one of the better A-League GKs, Risdon, Llorente, Hammil/Tongyik and Ziegler is one of the most solid defences in the league, with good push up in attack from the wings. Our midfield could be better, but a marquee AM should be a big boost to that, and allow Roly into DM if we need him. Our attack as I wrote about earlier is really strong compared to many teams. Wingers we have Kamau, O'Doherty, Bridge, Fitzgerald and Sotirio is some awesome depth. Striker we have Riera, with Scott and Majok back-up. Apparently we have 3 spots, one foreign and one marquee. We could probably get a Marquee and Foreign CAM, a better depth striker and more reinforcements for the DM position. If thats not pushing top 4, with Babbel taking the reigns as well, I'm not sure what is.

2 hours ago, mack said:

I’m assuming that is exactly what the last signing will be, get that and play as team and we should have a good season

Ideally we need another attacking player who can score too

at the moment we probably have too many ‘good’ players but not enough great ones

couple of things that do need to fall for us

- Roly needs to deliver 

- Kamau needs to go from promising player to star

1 hour ago, mack said:

The statistics don't match the idea that Kamau/Roly/Fitzgerald are going to score more goals than previous players did barring a massive upshift in their performances under the Ubercoach. Those ex-players listed hover around 3 to 5 games per goal.

Fitzgerald is ~10 games per goal (17 goals in 164 games), Roly Bonevacia is ~7 games per goal (102 games for 15 goals) and Kamau is ~10 games per goal (71 games, 7 goals). Statistically we can expect the three of them combined to score 9 goals this year if they all play 27 games. I don't think they'll all play every game either.

And there's not a lot of goal-scorers in the rest of the squad apart from Riera who got 15 in 25 and most of our FFA Cup goals. Risdon has 2 career goals. Hamill has 3 for us, two of which came in one game. Roly only got 1 league goal last year. Baccus A & B have no goals. Sotirio has 6 in 55. Lachlan Scott only has 1 league goal in his 16 games. Llorente 0, Ziegler has 3 in his entire career, Tongyik 0, O'Doherty has 1 A-League goal for Adelaide. Tarek 7 in his almost 250 games. Kamau as above 7 in 71 games as an attacking winger. The rest of the squad are untried youth players.

Fitzgerald with 16 A-League goals has the 2nd highest total I believe in our squad behind Bridge at 58 and Riera in 3rd.

Looking at our squad, I think we're heading for a season similar to 16/17, where we scored 35, copped 35 and scraped into the top 6. That year Santalab scored 14 of the 35 goals and the rest came in small handfuls from the likes of Sotirio, Nichols, Martinez, Jumpei, Dimas and O. Goal. Our defense looks okay but not top 2 level, our attack looks okay but not top 2 level, and our midfield will look like a mishmash of Popa signings (Roly), Gombau signings (Fitzgerald, Kamau) and I presume a Babbel signing at attacking mid.

I expect that Babbel knows this and we have a foreign marquee spot left, it needs to go on a Attacking player that  can score goals and control the game 

I’m still pretty positive 

Are done for outgoings? We are overloaded with pacey “promising” but non scoring wingers 

Edited by StringerBellend
2 hours ago, wswnick said:

Risdon hasn't returned to training if his Instagram is anything to go by. Not sure if we can read anything into that just yet.

If the last visa spot is for an AM what do we think we use the last Aus spot on? Midfield?

I reckon its nothing. Deserves a break after the world cup imo

17 minutes ago, GoatyMcGoatFace said:

i know a few people said that security let them in but these pre season matches used to be huge things the club would care about and less us in, **** em if they dont give a **** enough

wsw club of the people........

I agree it sucks. I think the club is scared of having any "incidents" caused by fans and also may want to give the new manager some time with the squad without any fan expectations getting in the way....re result wise. A chance to test his style of play....etc without having to  worry about winning or losing.

Were any games open last pre-season? 

Pity the FFA Cup draw was unkind to us and the game is in Darwin. Otherwise we just have to wait for the season proper to start in Oct.

Edited by sonar

half time 0-0 a few shots for us.

Roly has been a little disappointing beaten several times and I didn't expect a lot from Sotirio in the first place he tries hard but yeah.

It's mostly been the Llorente show.

Elrich I'm impressed with he has that fire he lost when he got injured he will impress this season for sure.

1 hour ago, hawks2767 said:

half time 0-0 a few shots for us.

Roly has been a little disappointing beaten several times and I didn't expect a lot from Sotirio in the first place he tries hard but yeah.

It's mostly been the Llorente show.

Elrich I'm impressed with he has that fire he lost when he got injured he will impress this season for sure.

Starting XI?

Nevermind, found someone streaming it on FB.

Bit blurry but can make out Elrich, Tass?, Hamill, Lllorente, Baccus Snr, Roly, Kamau, Sotirio, Riera. Can't tell who GK is or remaining player from footage (I think it's Baccus Jnr).

Roly appears to be playing at 10 though and has scored.

Hamill header for 2nd goal.

2-0 FT.

54 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Starting XI?

Nevermind, found someone streaming it on FB.

Bit blurry but can make out Elrich, Tass?, Hamill, Lllorente, Baccus Snr, Roly, Kamau, Sotirio, Riera. Can't tell who GK is or remaining player from footage (I think it's Baccus Jnr).

Roly appears to be playing at 10 though and has scored.

Hamill header for 2nd goal.

2-0 FT.

Can you direct me to where u could find a replay of the live stream?

• mack locked this topic