Squad Development 2018/19 Part 1

CLUB-BY-CLUB

ADELAIDE UNITED: Lachlan Brook, Papa Baba Diawara, Scott Galloway, Kristin Konstandopoulos, Ken Ilso, Vince Lia, Michael Marrone, Nikola Mileusnic, Taylor Regan

BRISBANE ROAR: Bryce Bafford, Jay Barnett, Eric Bautheac, Daniel Bowles, Shannon Brady, Joe Caletti, Henrique, Luke De Vere, Brett Holman, Thomas Kristensen, Alex Lopez, Matthew McKay, Tobias Mikkelsen, Stefan Nigro, Avram Papadopoulos, Jacob Pepper, Dylan Wenzel Halls, Brendan White

CENTRAL COAST: Adam Berry, Kalifa Cisse, Jack Clisby, Corey Gameiro, Joe Gauci, Antony Golec, Tom Hiariej, Andrew Hoole, Peter Kekeris, Ben Kennedy, Joshua MacDonald, Matthew Millar, Jordan Murray, Connor Pain, Adam Pearce, Kye Rowles, Mario Shabow

MELBOURNE CITY: Joshua Cavallo, James Delianov, Bruno Fornaroli, Eugene Galekovic, Curtis Good, Iacopo La Rocca, Osama Malik, Ramy Najjarine, Dylan Pierias, Bart Schenkeveld, Dario Vidosic

MELBOURNE VICTORY: Rahmat Akbari, Kosta Barbarouses, Leigh Broxham, Keisuke Honda, Joshua Hope, Jai Ingham, Georg Niedermeier, Nicholas Sette, James Troisi, Carl Valeri

NEWCASTLE JETS: Jake Adelson, Mitchell Austin, Jair, Nicholas Cowburn, Daniel Georgievski, Lewis Italiano, Lachlan Jackson, Noah James, John Koutroumbis, Patrick Langlois, Glen Moss, Roy O’Donovan, Kaine Sheppard, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Ronald Vargas

PERTH GLORY: Jake Brimmer, Diego Castro, Joel Chianese, Jason Davidson, Dino Djulbic, Fabio Ferreira, Andrew Keogh, Liam Reddy, Brendon Santalab, Walter Scott, Matthew Spiranovic, Callum Timmins, Tando Velaphi

SYDNEY FC: Joshua Brillante, Alex Brosque, Aaron Calver, Alex Cisak, Cameron Devlin, Rhyan Grant, Joel King, Charles Lokoli Ngoy, Brandon O’Neill, Jerry Skotadis, Ryan Teague, Marco Tilio, Jop Van Der Linden, Christopher Zuvela

WELLINGTON PHOENIX: Max Burgess, Nathan Burns, Thomas Doyle, Andrew Durante, Callan Elliot, Louis Fenton, Dylan Fox, Roy Krishna, Filip Kurto, Ryan Lowry, Mitchell Nichols, Alex Rufer, Oliver Sail, Sarpreet Singh, Armando Sosa Pena, Steven Taylor, Reuben Way, David Williams

WESTERN SYDNEY WANDERERS: Keanu Baccus, Alexander Baumjohann, Roly Bonevacia, Mark Bridge, Brendan Hamill, Raul Llorente, Rashid Mahazi, Manyiel Riel Majok, Oriol Riera, Joshua Risdon, John Roberts, Lachlan Scott, Jaushua Sotirio, Marc Tokich

1 hour ago, Flytox said:

XMAS LIST

ADELAIDE UNITED: Ken Ilso, Nikola Mileusnic

BRISBANE ROAR: Eric Bautheac, Thomas Kristensen

CENTRAL COAST: Kalifa Cisse

MELBOURNE CITY: Bruno Fornaroli, Bart Schenkeveld

MELBOURNE VICTORY: Keisuke Honda, Georg Niedermeier

NEWCASTLE JETS: Nicholas Cowburn, Ronald Vargas

PERTH GLORY: Jason Davidson, Brendon Santalab, Matthew Spiranovic

SYDNEY FC: n/a

WELLINGTON PHOENIX: Steven Taylor

WESTERN SYDNEY WANDERERS: Keanu Baccus, Alexander Baumjohann, Roly Bonevacia, Brendan Hamill, Raul Llorente, Manyiel Riel Majok, Oriol Riera, Joshua Risdon, John Roberts, Marc Tokich

4 hours ago, Flytox said:

CLUB-BY-CLUB

ADELAIDE UNITED: Nikola Mileusnic

MELBOURNE CITY: Bruno Fornaroli

MELBOURNE VICTORY: Kosta Barbarouses, Keisuke Honda, James Troisi

PERTH GLORY: Jason Davidson, Matthew Spiranovic

Here's who I'd take.

As for WSW:

Keep: Keanu Baccus, Hamill, Majok, Tokich, Roberts.

Go: Roly, Bridge, Llorente, Mahazi. 

Maybe: Baumjohann, Riera, Risdon

37 minutes ago, mack said:

Here's who I'd take.

As for WSW:

You have our three best players as Maybe?

My go would be 

keep for the here and now

Baumjohann, Riera, Risdon, Hammil 

keep for potential 

baccus, Tokich, Roberts

maybe 

Majok (see how he evolves), Bridge (see what he does when comes back), Roly (he was playing well pre injury)

probably gone 

Mahazi (Tokich will go past him)

llorente (I like him but uses a foreign spot on a left back that isn’t a great defender) 

I'd be looking at the market and seeing what is available for a foreign striker & attacking midfielder. Risdon is probably expensive (as a starting national team player) for what he's given to our team. He also keeps getting taken away by the national team.

First thing we need to do is go and buy a big strong bully of a CDM who isn't flashy but is tough as nails and will run all day. See Scott Brown (Celtic).

Zeigler/Hamill > Monster CDM > ABJ > Riera is a solid spine. 

I'd hold onto Risdon and Llorente cause they're great wingbacks and put in a regular shift. For me that's more important than defensive capabilities as the quality of wingers in the A-League isn't enough that a well structured formation and quality centre halves can't stop them.

I'd hold onto Bridgey given he is up there with Leigh Broxham as easily the most valuable squad player in the league when you consider their versatility and experience. They have what money can't buy, particularly in such a closed league like this. 

Our foreign recruitment is so hit and miss and has been for a while now. It must improve. Sydney have nailed every foreign signing for the past 2-3 seasons straight and Victory's signings are always dependable. There's definitely an element of luck involved given that it's the A-League at the end of the day, but when other clubs seem to be so consistent with it, you've gotta question our scouting process.

Foreign recruitment is extremely fraut. Unless you are going to fork out serious coin for quality, ie Honda then there is always an element of the unknown. Players will always be able to get more elsewhere so we are looking for personalties who aren't in it just for the mullah. Maybe they are financially set, looking for a different experience, a lifestyle change. Otherwise they could easily be looking for a paid holiday (hello Saba) over the hill or injury prone.

Hard to get right.

Edited by beatsurrender
4 hours ago, mack said:

I'd be looking at the market and seeing what is available for a foreign striker & attacking midfielder. Risdon is probably expensive (as a starting national team player) for what he's given to our team. He also keeps getting taken away by the national team.

National team is about 3 games in a season if that

He’s the best right back in the league 

having good players generally helps in winning stuff 

on Reira and ABJ sure if we can get better great, I get the sense that neither will be here next year anyway. Reira will go back to Spain and if ABJ has a big season he’ll follow money to China / UAE 

10 hours ago, mack said:

Here's who I'd take.

As for WSW:

You’ve been sniffing bath salts if you think there are predictable and reliable options that will get under the cap and still be better than ABJ.

regarding Riera, I’d definitely like someone that can score with their feet.

8 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

You’ve been sniffing bath salts if you think there are predictable and reliable options that will get under the cap and still be better than ABJ.

regarding Riera, I’d definitely like someone that can score with their feet.

We'd have a marquee spot for his position.

10 hours ago, mack said:

We'd have a marquee spot for his position.

True, but I think ABJ is suffering from having no one around him.

Move Elrich to LB since Llorente isn’t showing what he did last season. Move Llorente on and get 2 quality CDMs - all of a sudden our forward movement will be vastly different I think.

18 hours ago, hughsey said:

Our foreign recruitment is so hit and miss and has been for a while now. It must improve. Sydney have nailed every foreign signing for the past 2-3 seasons straight and Victory's signings are always dependable. There's definitely an element of luck involved given that it's the A-League at the end of the day, but when other clubs seem to be so consistent with it, you've gotta question our scouting process.

I agree. There is no scouting. We ended up with Spaniards because of Andres Carrasco. We signed Cejudo because Riera knew he was available. We signed Borda, Pinatardes because they were cheap. We signed Jumpei because Ono recommended him. That's not scouting, it's pot luck.

We now have Paul Agostino scanning the German/European market for us, and MB is well connected. I am expecting that we'll go full German next season, hold on to the youth players who have HAL standard, hold on to (or sign) above-average senior Aussie players, and phase out the no hopers. 

We are actually not far off. Despite injury issues and too many youth players in the senior squad: gifting goals and missing sitters (Riera!) is the issue. I don't even want to think about how many points this has cost us this season.

Its round 5

next season I’ll worry about next season.

This season we aren’t that far off, we need a dominant Defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder who scores goals more consistently than the 1 in 7-10 that are current lot score at 

Assuming Ziegler becomes an Aussie by jan we have a foreign marquee spot available to fill one of those 

SFC and MV only just NOW got most of their Visa recruiting down pat. They both had a fair tonne of really terrible Visas over the years. Some were even marquees lol.

We've had bad Visas, but so has every other AL club. We've also had some of the best Visas in the comp that season, so has every other AL club. Welcome to football and the AL.

1 hour ago, Erebus said:

SFC and MV only just NOW got most of their Visa recruiting down pat. They both had a fair tonne of really terrible Visas over the years. Some were even marquees lol.

We've had bad Visas, but so has every other AL club. We've also had some of the best Visas in the comp that season, so has every other AL club. Welcome to football and the AL.

None of our 5 this year are bad players. The are all decent players. We have far worse foreign players.

We are not helped by 2 of them being injured, especially given how inexperienced the majority of the squad is. 

Our squad as a whole probably lacks true stand out players but that’s what happens if you only use 1 marquee spot 

Edited by StringerBellend
2 hours ago, Erebus said:

Funnily enough, many of those players came from players recommending players. I guess like anything, can be fraught with danger depending on how they adapt.

Didn’t realise that, if I remember correctly, Jumps was a Popa pick (of course not many Japanese players have come to Australia) and it was Ono who recommended he come to Australia based on his experience with WSW.

2 minutes ago, mack said:

Jumpei had everything but the thing that mattered, putting the ball in the back of the net or giving it to someone who could. 

If he'd been trained as a fullback and learned how to defend he might have played for Japan.

Lacks a football brain 

On 28/11/2018 at 6:53 PM, Burgerman said:

Broxham and fornarollyyyy id take asap, Broxham would be a great fit to harden up dm and forna for riera if he goes. 

Fornaroli reported as having played his last game for MC (Fox Sports).  Kossie noted that Sydney FC want him (were after him in off season) and speculated that he might have left to move to Sydney in the transfer window - only a few weeks away.

Would be typical of Sydney to get players to spit the dummy at their clubs and want out so they could come to Sydney - 1st Carney from Jets a couple of seasons ago;  De Silva this season;  Now potentially El Tuna.

A joke if it comes off, although I don't know where they'd get the money to pay him???

41 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Fornaroli reported as having played his last game for MC (Fox Sports).  Kossie noted that Sydney FC want him (were after him in off season) and speculated that he might have left to move to Sydney in the transfer window - only a few weeks away.

Would be typical of Sydney to get players to spit the dummy at their clubs and want out so they could come to Sydney - 1st Carney from Jets a couple of seasons ago;  De Silva this season;  Now potentially El Tuna.

A joke if it comes off, although I don't know where they'd get the money to pay him???

They already have 2 marquee spots and were rumoured to be offering mega money. He could maybe go there as an injury replacement for the Dutch guy. Assuming Ziegler becomes Aussie Pat then we should be all over this, we have a marquee spot available. #twoupfronttastic

We can all say whatever we want but to put it in a nutshell, after that performance, we are rubbish. We can just pray that the January transfer window brings us some joy otherwise it's going to be another long season. You simply can't sugarcoat crap. I'm truly hoping to have to eat my words at season's end although I highly doubt it.

And can someone please tell me, what on earth do all our coaches (past and present) see in Baccus Jnr?

• mack locked this topic