Squad Development 2018/19 Part 1

So from what we've read and seen about who is off contract or being allowed to leave, we could have a team something like:

Vedran, Risdon or a new RB, Ziegler, Spiranovic, Jason Davidson, Baccus, Brattan, Barbarouses, Baumjohan/New AMC, Troisi, Fornaroli

Squad players: Suman, Nizic, Tass, Tarek, Tokich, Grozos, Fitzgerald, Kamau, Mileusnic, O'Doherty.

13 minutes ago, Taurus said:

"The Covert Agent can reveal City would listen to offers for Bruno Fornaroli, Luke Brattan and Anthony Caceres, with Joyce wanting to free up funds to sign Kearyn Baccus permanently and also to acquire another striker."

Is that some sort of a joke?? :pardon:

7 hours ago, DeeDee said:

Were 2 spine players off being competitive this season. 

Ziegler is one. A new central midfielder is the other and we need the owners to pony up and get that position shored up. 

We then desperately need consistency with the few experienced players that we do have being on the park. We need Roly, Bridge, Fitzgerald back and on the park more.  We had 2 players in central midfield under the age of 21 and a 20 year old winger with a 23 year old. Our central defence had RB/LB in the heart next to a bloke who desperately needs a consistent partner. Youd have to be a magician to get a result against Victories mob with that much inexperience.

Fitzgerald? the less that guy plays the better people seem to think he is. Babbel clearly doesn’t rate him 

27 minutes ago, wendybr said:

"The Covert Agent can reveal City would listen to offers for Bruno Fornaroli, Luke Brattan and Anthony Caceres, with Joyce wanting to free up funds to sign Kearyn Baccus permanently and also to acquire another striker."

Is that some sort of a joke?? :pardon:

Joyce must really love sideways passing 

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

Lol!

He seems not to know how to get on with numerous members his team... given he's turned off quite a number of them.

And doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of them consistently.

His job has two goals:

1) Be a farm team for Manchester City.

2) As best as possible after 1, try to win.

His bosses probably wouldn't care if they finished 4th to 8th every season as long as he kept poaching young players they could farm out to Manchester City.

Obviously, this isn't what the fans or the players want.

2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

After Saturday night he’s not alone in that 

Baumjohann, Vedran and an on song Risdon is the only quality in our side at the moment....Riera , welll yeah...he would be dropped if there were any other viable options..

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Baumjohann, Vedran and an on song Risdon is the only quality in our side at the moment....Riera , welll yeah...he would be dropped if there were any other viable options..

There's the problem with Riera, he's in his comfort zone, no Santa waiting if all else fails

So i had loads of time on my hand so thought id put together my thoughts on how to attack next seasons squad. I think iv'e thrown in abit of realistic ideas and a bit of fantasy but take from it what you will.

Whatever we do quality and balance needs to be at the forefront of next seasons squad assembly with maximizing the first 11 quality on the park the priority. As we have seen the succesful sides are not necessarily those with amazing depth, but instead have a stacked and experienced first 11 setting a quality and stable platform for cheaper younger players to come in and flourish when needed.   What we have locked in is the below. 12 out of 23 spots. In Bold is how i'd recruit. 

GK: 

1. Danijel Nizic 

2. Vedran Janjetovic 

3. Nicholas Suman (u20)

- Obviously no more signings to come

CBs: 

4. Patrick Ziegler (F)

5. Ruon Tongyik, 

6. Tass Mourdoukoutas (u20)

7. NEW SIGNING - Rhys Williams / Ryan Mcgowan

- With 1 established and 2 youngsters our 4th CB has to be a quality starter. When Zielger is fit and playing that will be Hammil's final "trial" to show he can be the man for it. Otherwise the experience and culture of our spine nees a revamp and we need to improve and with one visa CB already i would go for an aussie. Rhys Williams would be ideal, hes experienced, quality and also has lots of versatility if we need a right back or midfielder. Otherwise Ryan Mcgowan, Thomas Deng and Shane Lowry are certain upgrades. 

FBs: 

8. Tarek Elrich, 

9. Tate Russel (u20)

10. NEW SIGNING - Jason Davidson?

- Its rare that a club has more then 3 options at right and left back, instead relying on versatility from utility players or promoting from within. I would target a very good a-league affordable left back as we already have Elrich who by all means doesn't fill us with confidence but can still be usefull on the right at a fraction of Risdons price yet be better then our usual left back in Llorente. Id go for Davidson or go foreign. A loan for Brad Smith would also be crazy good.

MIDs: 

11. Jordan O'Doherty, 

12. Kosta Grozos (u20)

13. RE-SIGN - Baccus JNR

14. RE-SIGN - Baumjohan (F)

15. NEW SIGNING - Foreign GUN

16. NEW SIGNING - Foreigner or Aussie

- Baccus jnr has enough going for him with a high potential ceiling to warrant another deal, my view would be he may even get releagted to the bench as first choice backup so he can learn his craft more for a season after being thrown in the deep end. Therefore we have more then enough young talent so Tokich is gooone. Baumjohan is a must keep, we will only see his very best when he surrounded by more quality and the fact he may fit under the cap again is great. We then need an experienced leader in midfield as a priority. A player in the Isaias or Brattan mould would be perfect. Someone with ticker and tenacity yet able to dictate and create from deep. Mile Jedinak also has a wonderful ring to it but offcourse would only contribute a year realistically. I would get 1 or 2 new STARTING mids. So the other spot could be a sneaky foreigner under the cap.

WINGS: 

17. Bruce Kamau

18. Nick Fitzgerald 

19. John Roberts (u20)

20. RE-SIGN - Abraham Majok

21. NEW SIGNING - Foreign GUN Potential Marquee

- Wings is an interesting one. There is no doubt we need a TOP NOTCH contributor on the wing. Kamau and Fitzgerald both have that (a-league starter reputation) but in all honesty your never going to win anything starting them both. To move forward i would go with the idea that only one is seen as a starter and it has to be earned. John Roberts has potential and would replace Majok in the (u20) position. Abraham Majok himself is a tough one, i like him, hes only going to get stronger and would be bumping up into the Sotirio role but damn i do not want him to become a Sotirio. Only deciding to resign with the hope for improvement and because hes dirt cheap, i also have the view he could fill in as a third choice striker if ever needed desperately. 

Our new top notch winger has to be gun. Everyone hated him but i remember that Harry Novillo bloke tore the league to shreds at city. Looking past the arrogance i would love that type of class and power on the wing with the eye for goal that he had. He would mix well with Baumjohan. 

STs: N/A - 

22. NEW SIGNING - Foreign GUN Marquee

23. NEW SIGNING - Nathan Burns?

- Pretty simple here. Sign a finisher. Someone with pace and quality. If hes another hold up striker he ought to be a beast, non of this sub standard **** or you get no where in the a-league. SO essentially Ibra or just a straight out finisher who can make good off the ball runs, or quite simply can run. 

As backup i reckon Nathan Burns is a sneaky pick up. His value has plummeted. But he brings experience and can even play on the wing or as a second striker if he elevates his game again. 

So on matchday we see:

--------------------Vedran-------------------

Elrich---*Williams--Ziegler---*Davidson

---------*Jedinak/(f)Gun--*Brattan------------

--Kamau-------Baumjohan-------*Novillo-esque--

---------*15 goals a season.. minimum*-----------

Bench: Nizic, Fitzgerald, Burns, Baccus Jnr, Tongiyk

46 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Davidson has been playing on the wing at Perth too btw. Highly unlikely he’ll be dislodged from perth

Wingback. They play a 3 man defence with wing backs. Still more then capable at LB. True but with the squad they have their salaries will be very tough to keep under the cap. 

18 minutes ago, Stokz said:

I'd take all the 3 from City - Caceres, Brattan & Bruno.

Would take 1 only. Brattan first, Caceres as a consolation prize. Never seen them click all that well together and just seems an unstable midfield with the 2. Brattan brings more ticker, and more of a voice to the midfield. Caceres seems to have the talent but lacks consistency. Hed flourish more when used in a DM + 2 wide midfielders system. 

I do wonder how anyone in the a-league would prize any of those 2 off Manchester City's hands though without a fee. No idea when they are offcontract.

Edited by DeeDee
  • mack locked this topic