Squad Development 2018/19 Part 1

1 hour ago, ZachMercer said:

We're really only left with one option for the upcoming season. Play two up front and bring in Fernando f'n Torres along side Riera right! (End of dream)

Add Zlatan and play 3 up front!

The entire discussion on squad development seems to hinge on who won't / might / will be staying and which new signings we need.  I thought we had a strong junior squad, yet aside from naming those contracted, not one seems to come under consideration to follow Baccus Jr for regular game time.  Is there not one among this group who has yet earned more than an occasional Cup appearance? or the opportunity to warm the bench for ninety minutes?  or perhaps be given a few minutes' cameo appearance in injury time?  Some hint, please, from those on this thread who have much closer ties with the club's workings than I do.

4 hours ago, Harv said:

The entire discussion on squad development seems to hinge on who won't / might / will be staying and which new signings we need.  I thought we had a strong junior squad, yet aside from naming those contracted, not one seems to come under consideration to follow Baccus Jr for regular game time.  Is there not one among this group who has yet earned more than an occasional Cup appearance? or the opportunity to warm the bench for ninety minutes?  or perhaps be given a few minutes' cameo appearance in injury time?  Some hint, please, from those on this thread who have much closer ties with the club's workings than I do.

I know you were asking about the young fellas who havent earned senior contracts but John Roberts is a young man I'd love to see given some responsibility. F*ck bringing someone like Fitzgerald, we can build respectable options from what we have on intern contracts right now

I wouldn't want to be bringing in more than 1 new youth player per season anyway unless they are both absolutely tearing the NPL2 apart.

The NYL doesn't prepare anyone for A-League (it's a glorified way for A-League teams to bring injured senior players back to fitness) and playing in the NPL2 is far below the level of the A-League. Sure, playing NPL2 gives the kids a taste of the physicality and strength of what they will come up against in the A-League, and a taste of competent well drilled defences, but the speed and technical quality just isn't there when you compare NPL2 with the A-League and it's foreign players, fringe national team players and experienced professionals.

We've seen with the Nix & Mariners how NPL talent & youth talent works in the A-League. It doesn't. Arguably if you're using more than a couple of U21 players in your team, you've failed in your recruitment or you've had a huge injury run.

5 minutes ago, mack said:

I wouldn't want to be bringing in more than 1 new youth player per season anyway unless they are both absolutely tearing the NPL2 apart.

The NYL doesn't prepare anyone for A-League (it's a glorified way for A-League teams to bring injured senior players back to fitness) and playing in the NPL2 is far below the level of the A-League. Sure, playing NPL2 gives the kids a taste of the physicality and strength of what they will come up against in the A-League, and a taste of competent well drilled defences, but the speed and technical quality just isn't there when you compare NPL2 with the A-League and it's foreign players, fringe national team players and experienced professionals.

We've seen with the Nix & Mariners how NPL talent & youth talent works in the A-League. It doesn't. Arguably if you're using more than a couple of U21 players in your team, you've failed in your recruitment or you've had a huge injury run.

This is basically every youth league around the world. I'm not sure why we would be any different. Every player experiences a step up when they move into the 1st team in any league around the world. The problem is we dont have anywhere to mature our players whilst they grow. We arent even considered a place to grow players by other leagues (though there is a few reasons for that, but thats a whole different debate). 

I guess we have to decide what we are as a league. Do we want to be a retirement village or should we be pumping out competent kids? We dont have the money to be a retirement village, so I guess my vote is development. And if thats the case how do we incentivize development?

Back on track, whos found a gem on transfermarkt lately that we can view shitty youtube recruitment videos of?

I'm telling ya. Offer Torres $5M and the chance to play with some la liga mates.  Hire a decent PR & Media/Publicist firm (not  FFA's McCann) and he'll at least double that in ticket sales, memberships, merchandise, appearance fees and endorsements - not to mention backpage spreads every time he takes a dump. The Kensington kids will be burning their ESFC shirts on overpriced webbers and the eurosnobs will be lapping up wanderers jerseys at ultra football for a piece of the red and black. Job done, drop mic.

1 hour ago, ZachMercer said:

I'm telling ya. Offer Torres $5M and the chance to play with some la liga mates.  Hire a decent PR & Media/Publicist firm (not  FFA's McCann) and he'll at least double that in ticket sales, memberships, merchandise, appearance fees and endorsements - not to mention backpage spreads every time he takes a dump. The Kensington kids will be burning their ESFC shirts on overpriced webbers and the eurosnobs will be lapping up wanderers jerseys at ultra football for a piece of the red and black. Job done, drop mic.

that would require actual logical thinking..........not going to happen

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

We need all rumours

Leroy George to Marquee

Fitzgerald for Lustica

Tongyink for Aspro

Elrich for Llorente

Kamau for Ikonomidis

So far not a pretty picture.

We need a top notch CB (Good, Spira, Elsey?), DM (I am assuming that Baccus snr is going to leave), Roly to come good as 8, an AM  (don't think that Carrusca is going to hag around), and a quality winger (George would be nice).

I wouldn't expect Risdon to return from the WC should he make the squad, so there would be another gap to fill. By that time the local market will be empty, so we may just need to hold on to Llorente as LB and have Elrich as RB. Something like that.

The clubs needs to get rid of Bonevecia, Cedujo, Baccus Snr, Baccus Jnr, Roly, Thwaite, Clisby. Sotirio, Hamill , Bridge, Lustica, Aspro and get players who are intelligent, have football skills, know how to pass, are not traffic cones, can adapt to different playing styles and tactics, don't fight with team mates, don't get red carded when the team needs you,don't throw hissy fits and tantrums at the manager when their lack of skill costs the team games, can last more than 5 minutes without falling in a heap with exhaustion and act like professional footballers with a professional attitude and who will wear the jersey with pride.

Oh and a kevlar vest for the new manager...he's going to need it.

Edited by sonar

I think it will Thwaite gone for Tongyik.

I think Hall will be back as backup keeper with Tyson gone.

Also, Herd's spot is open.

Raul to stay and Clisby to go.

So for me

Fitzgerald for Ikonomidis 

Elrich for Clisby

Kamau for Herd 

Tongyik for Thwaite 

Hall for Tyson.

? Cejudo for George.

Imagine George crossing to Riera in the air to put the winner past Melb Vic.

I think that nothing will be announced till we get the new manager or is that old if they get Popa back.

And Taurus to be the new scout 

Edited by Paul01
Added info
14 hours ago, Upthehill said:

I guess we have to decide what we are as a league. Do we want to be a retirement village or should we be pumping out competent kids? We dont have the money to be a retirement village, so I guess my vote is development. And if thats the case how do we incentivize development?

Add two more players to the bench, both under a certain age? Benches are already too small, so why not make some junior spots on there?

8 hours ago, sonar said:

The clubs needs to get rid of Bonevecia, Cedujo, Baccus Snr, Baccus Jnr, Roly, Thwaite, Clisby. Sotirio, Hamill , Bridge, Lustica, Aspro and get players who are intelligent, have football skills, know how to pass, are not traffic cones, can adapt to different playing styles and tactics, don't fight with team mates, don't get red carded when the team needs you,don't throw hissy fits and tantrums at the manager when their lack of skill costs the team games, can last more than 5 minutes without falling in a heap with exhaustion and act like professional footballers with a professional attitude and who will wear the jersey with pride.

Oh and a kevlar vest for the new manager...he's going to need it.

how many of those players were signed by popa?

7 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Add two more players to the bench, both under a certain age? Benches are already too small, so why not make some junior spots on there?

I'd like to see injury subs ....(keep the 3 sub rule).....but add extra subs  for any players injured due to foul play. Then a side is not penalised for the foul play of the opposition.

A case in point being when Baccus was stomped on by the Victory player, now the Vic guy got red carded but if Baccus was injured and had to come off we would of lost a sub. Unfair. 

Victor Saba not returning to his Hong Kong club, the come back is on 

He has had 6 clubs since he left us!

no idea why I thought to look him up on Wikipedia 

Edited by StringerBellend
4 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

I thought by now we would have an announcement on what players are staying/going/re-signed etc.

I would imagine it would still be up in the air as we don't have a coach. I doubt the club will release players that a new coach might want to keep.  I expect the only announcements to come from players that no matter what don't want to stay.

5 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

I thought by now we would have an announcement on what players are staying/going/re-signed etc.

Mid may as Mack said. It’s better for players to not have a gap in between announcements and it’s not good form to announce players who are going in finals games right now.

52 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Mid may as Mack said. It’s better for players to not have a gap in between announcements and it’s not good form to announce players who are going in finals games right now.

if we are signing any sydney fc players best to announce it now then, even if are not signing sydney fc players lets just announce we are

• mack locked this topic