Sign in to follow this  
mack

Coach and Staff Thread 2018/19

One last thing on the generational stuff - I agree with the above, it's more a lack of quality than any kind of generational characteristic. That's why it was a silly comment. You can't blame Babbel for Hamill's pass, and you can't say that Hamill doesn't care. With his level of talent, caring is the only thing keeping him going and getting him selected!

Our problem isn't that this whole generation of players don't care, it's that we have a **** group of players from this generation!

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

9 hours ago, Taurus said:

Gombau recruited Elrich (-), Fitz (-), Kamau (Meh) & Tongyik (Fail). 

Babbel has recruited ABJ (?), Aussie Pat (?), Yeboah (+), Duke (+) & upgraded some youth players inc. Grozos, Tass, Russell & Cordier

ODoherty (one for future / cant play with mini Baccus at moment) was Gombaus too

A big problem for Babbel was at the end of last season squad needed an overhaul, Gombau wasted 5 spots on the above.

This left Babbel with no room to move, if those 5 spots were open when Babbel took over and he got to fill them (recruit 7 in offseason) then we’d be in a better position (or if we weren’t then it would be on Babbel)

Unfortunately the two signings Babbel did make have both been out injured too, which was always a risk with abj given his last few seasons 

12 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

ODoherty (one for future / cant play with mini Baccus at moment) was Gombaus too

A big problem for Babbel was at the end of last season squad needed an overhaul, Gombau wasted 5 spots on the above.

This left Babbel with no room to move, if those 5 spots were open when Babbel took over and he got to fill them (recruit 7 in offseason) then we’d be in a better position (or if we weren’t then it would be on Babbel)

Unfortunately the two signings Babbel did make have both been out injured too, which was always a risk with abj given his last few seasons 

It's a tough one though, because by the time Babbel came in and was settled and started to look for Australian players all the reasonable talent is already snapped up. He may've had 5-7 spots, but the quality on offer would've been pretty average.

1 hour ago, Carns said:

It's a tough one though, because by the time Babbel came in and was settled and started to look for Australian players all the reasonable talent is already snapped up. He may've had 5-7 spots, but the quality on offer would've been pretty average.

He has now brought in Yeboah and Duke. They are quality signings. So now to next season.

Before the recruitment process began I am sure the club knew that bringing in a foreign coach which knew little about this league was either going to be a hit or miss this season with what he had left to work with which remained from the Popa (last season) and Gumby era and not to mention the little room he had to recruit. We all hoped for a top 6 finish with a push to the final with the CV he has and expected more but it has not panned out that way and wither its the players lack of quality/effort or coaches lack of grasping this league/players or poor recruitment by management/club and we cannot point the finger at one issue.

There are multiple issues we can point out with our club ATM so the blame needs to be shared by all and a focus towards next season is key which I can see the club have done so with backing the of Babbel even if we are destined to eat a wooden spoon full of depression at seasons end as we cannot afford another change over of managers as others have said it will only set us back further and its not like the players have stated like last season that they do not wish to play for Babbel as it was like with Gumby, the players like the style of play that Babbel has introduce. Also with the recruitment of JP & Marcelo Martins we have invested a lot in a coaching staff to bring the club back to its former glory which i believe was the right step so next season WE MUST get the player recruiting right and let Babbel & JP spend some money to bring in a quality team that can compete for the title.

The players brought in so far by them have been of quality (if only we weren't so unlucky with injuries things might be different now) and if it continues like this, we should be looking good for a return to our true wanderland!

4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

O'Doherty (-) #DoNotRateHim

19 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Everyone should listen to Simon Hill on the Fox Football Podcast. He discussed the team and Babbel. He puts it down to an inability to finish rather than skill. 

The team is not as fit as when Waterson was the fitness coach.

Since Ziggy has been injured for most of the season, we get stuck with Elrich either as a left back or centreback. Every week we see the same tactic with or without referee assistance, the opposition teams attack at speed down the right wing and get in behind a gassed Elrich. If Elrich plays, he has to be subbed at 60 odd minutes.

Elrich is playing CB because MB & JP forced Tongyik out & then failed to sign a replacement CB. That's on MB.

16 hours ago, Taurus said:

Gombau recruited Elrich (-), Fitz (-), Kamau (Meh) & Tongyik (Fail). 

Babbel has recruited ABJ (?), Aussie Pat (?), Yeboah (+), Duke (+) & upgraded some youth players inc. Grozos, Tass, Russell & Cordier

Gombau recruited to his own game plan/strategy though. The players mentioned could of had completely different seasons playing under a different system or in Tongyik & Fitzgerald case, they may have even got a run. Gombau also had Riera firing & if he wasn't booted, would of had the opportunity to sign his own foreigner/marquee.

There are a plethora of factors in regards to recruitment. 

19 hours ago, Bellby said:

Elrich is playing CB because MB & JP forced Tongyik out & then failed to sign a replacement CB. That's on MB.

I was a big fan of Tongyik but I guess MB wasn't. He didn't sign a replacement but we got Yeboah and Duke which in the long term going to next season will be good but certainly short term would have preferred a defender.

2 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I was a big fan of Tongyik but I guess MB wasn't. He didn't sign a replacement but we got Yeboah and Duke which in the long term going to next season will be good but certainly short term would have preferred a defender.

Ziegler being injured for so long would have destroyed the related plans re CBs

On 6 February 2019 at 4:39 PM, Bellby said:

1. Our youth players (See Tass) are better than him 2. Salary cap banking

Im more surprised that we didn't sign a replacement for bridge. 2/3 season injured but I'm guessing he has had a few setbacks so it was impossible to bring in a replacement in till it was too late. Shame, he takes up a big portion of the cap.

3 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

1. Our youth players (See Tass) are better than him 2. Salary cap banking

Im more surprised that we didn't sign a replacement for bridge. 2/3 season injured but I'm guessing he has had a few setbacks so it was impossible to bring in a replacement in till it was too late. Shame, he takes up a big portion of the cap.

Tass better then Tongyik? Nup, can’t agree.

1 hour ago, Bellby said:

Tass better then Tongyik? Nup, can’t agree.

Tass is a monster & will have a career at AL level. Whilst he can play DM, I reckon he's the best young CB prospect to come through our academy.

Tongyik had an opportunity at Heart before coming to us & just never looked likely to figure in our match day squad. From the 1st pre-season game I saw him start (v's Sydney Olympic) I thought he had eyesight issues or just an overly casual attitude. 

I hope Tongyik gets a real shot at a starting role next season. If the SWS club came in I'd imagine he'd be at worst a #2 somewhere.

I liked Tongyik but its a bit fishy now 5 managers and no one has put him as a starter so maybe their issues in regards to his attitude or how he applies himself in training. Hope he gets it right he is a good defender.

Is there a requirement for Australia A league coaches to learn the correct way to chew Gum ? seen Ruden's Assistant on TV really going at it on piece of gum , looked like he was learning how to do it the right way.   

Kurt opinion on Babel

Kurz said Babbel deserved the right to be given another crack with his club. 

"He was a great player and he's an experienced coach as well. 

"I think in the first year, he had more problems than he'd have liked. The club now find the decision to give him time to improve the team. 

"Yes, that's not the normal way in football. But I prefer this kind of way," Kurz told reporters on Friday.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/markus-babbel-liverpool-bayern-munich/ interesting article and this quote is telling;

I had one coach who always shouted at the young guys. If you’re shouting at the 18, 19, 20-year-olds, then the club has a bigger problem than you expect. If you shout at anyone, it has to be the big players, because you expect top performances from them. They are the ones who make the difference.

If they’re not performing, you can’t shout at the 18-year-old guy. He is not the problem.

55 minutes ago, matty said:

I'd just shout at everyone, especially Jaushua

How about Abe.

Last I attended a few NYL games. Sitting behind the bench all I could hear from Diles (coach) was Abraham this, Abraham that for half the Game over his positioning.

When I use to coach my son 7,8 years of age I use to yell it him all the time my wife said it got to the point I didn’t even talk it was just a game of yelling 

One of the dads once came up to me and said I like the fact you yell but you only yell at your son yell at them all haha 

football is a game of passion I’m all for yelling 😁

Edited by GunnerWanderer

11 hours ago, scarcev said:

https://www.coachesvoice.com/markus-babbel-liverpool-bayern-munich/ interesting article and this quote is telling;

I had one coach who always shouted at the young guys. If you’re shouting at the 18, 19, 20-year-olds, then the club has a bigger problem than you expect. If you shout at anyone, it has to be the big players, because you expect top performances from them. They are the ones who make the difference.

If they’re not performing, you can’t shout at the 18-year-old guy. He is not the problem.

The interview also sheds light on the meaning of "mentality" and "process" that MB has been banging on about for months.

"Playing at a club like Bayern Munich teaches you a mindset: you have to win. It started in the youth. At first, I couldn’t understand it: you’re 10 or 11 years old, you finish second and the youth co-ordinator is telling you that it’s not good enough. You think, what is going on here? In youth tournaments, everybody was always booing us and celebrating if another team beat us. That’s when you learn the mentality to say okay, everyone is against us. So we have to show we are better than them. It’s a process. One that I started at 10 years old."

On 07/02/2019 at 11:59 AM, Sithslayer1991 said:

When a manager who once was a world class CB doesn't rate a young CB, then there is a good chance that he sees something that we don't. I just wish Popa had worn the same goggles prior to signing Borda.

46 minutes ago, FCB said:

When a manager who once was a world class CB doesn't rate a young CB, then there is a good chance that he sees something that we don't. I just wish Popa had worn the same goggles prior to signing Borda.

Fun fact: when Babbel was at Stuttgart in 2004, his FIFA rating was 86!! By comparison, Tony Popovic was 72

13 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Fun fact: when Babbel was at Stuttgart in 2004, his FIFA rating was 86!! By comparison, Tony Popovic was 72

When he was at Stuttgart, by his own admission, he was only at 90% of his previous capacity, he never fully recovered from his illness. He was an outstanding defender, very fair and competent, picked up very few yellow cards.

1 hour ago, FCB said:

Popa was never world class or even close to it.

Average to decent defender.