Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mack

Coach and Staff Thread: The Babbel Era

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Bellby said:

man-management / communication skills are apparently quite poor, as is JP's

You obviously haven’t seen JP in action, he isn’t the arm round the shoulder & big on the D&M’s :lol:

27 minutes ago, Bellby said:

Not all the players 'let go' were 'let go', more they didn't want to re-sign. 

Good, the level of performance the team has shown this year has been pathetic, some of the heart shown by the boys on the field has been close to zero. He made the comment along the lines of “the boys are nice, the type I’d want dating my daughter but these are not the qualities you need on the football field”.

To those that are happy to come along for a ride, pick up a pay cheque & be happy with mediocrity. We are happy for your service, thanks but no thanks.

15 minutes ago, sonar said:

We had this from sources about Gombau last season.....he wasn't a good manager of people......he talked down to them etc,etc,etc

Man management was Gombau’s problem, he was an arm around the shoulder type person but struggled controlling the dressing room. Whether that falls under “manager of people” category I’m unsure but I think it is more a reflection of his management style, he was a poor fit for the players we had in our squad last year. Gombau had a specific idea of what he wanted to do but wasn’t able to adapt to the players he had at his disposal (you could also say that he wasn’t able to convince the dressing room to buy into his philosophy).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

We heard about it a lot last season from various sources. Haven't heard anything at all this season about discontent amongst the group.

If players sooked because MB was too hard on them, maybe they should be a professional footballer instead of just wanting to hang at the beach and play FIFA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

You obviously haven’t seen JP in action, he isn’t the arm round the shoulder & big on the D&M’s :lol:

Good, the level of performance the team has shown this year has been pathetic, some of the heart shown by the boys on the field has been close to zero. He made the comment along the lines of “the boys are nice, the type I’d want dating my daughter but these are not the qualities you need on the football field”.

To those that are happy to come along for a ride, pick up a pay cheque & be happy with mediocrity. We are happy for your service, thanks but no thanks.

Man management was Gombau’s problem, he was an arm around the shoulder type person but struggled controlling the dressing room. Whether that falls under “manager of people” category I’m unsure but I think it is more a reflection of his management style, he was a poor fit for the players we had in our squad last year. Gombau had a specific idea of what he wanted to do but wasn’t able to adapt to the players he had at his disposal (you could also say that he wasn’t able to convince the dressing room to buy into his philosophy).

I don't disagree with you about Gombau but having said that as I said last season and this.....  the players bear the majority of fault for the performance on the field. They do for last season and they do for this season as well. If you look as the season as a whole we went backwards on the table.Something has to give. I'd back the manager over the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year the players didn't believe in what Gombau plans and tactics were. It was so obvious that Gombau called in Cornthwaite to confirm it. We also had various player interviews that made it clear the players thought they were better than they were doing, that they knew more than Gombau and it was all his fault.

And Gombau was sacked for these things.

This year, new manager, same results. High paid Players get shitty when Duke and Yeboah show up and some of them get dropped.

Owners won't give players the ability to sack two coaches in 12 months. Especially not a highly touted European coach who also happened to be a world class player.  No-one but Riera was even remotely in the same level as a player. Babbel would have more appearances and goals just at Bayern than most of our squad have in their career.

Could you imagine Cornthwaite, whose biggest club was a mid table K-League team that never won anything, coming back at Babbel who won the European Championship with Germany, played in the Champions League and World Cup?

Babbel might not win the league next year, but he doesn't tolerate player power bullshit. We need that almost as much as we need good recruitment and tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mack said:

players thought they were better than they were doing, that they knew more than Gombau 

Couldn’t be further from the mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erebus said:

We heard about it a lot last season from various sources. Haven't heard anything at all this season about discontent amongst the group.

If players sooked because MB was too hard on them, maybe they should be a professional footballer instead of just wanting to hang at the beach and play FIFA.

Ah, Internet keyboard heroes and warriors. Who needs them if you have Bridgey on record:

"It hasn’t been good enough, and he’s the coach, he has every right to say that. He’s trying to get the best out of the players for the club, and if players don’t like it, or people don’t like it, they can move on."

Regardless of what we think about Gombau: by the time awards night came he had alienated just about everyone in the club to such an extent that he did not sit with chairman and CEO. He was excluded from the proceedings that night, and the club could not wait to get rid of him the day after awards night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gombau also came in with a "youth record" and then didn't go to any NPL training sessions and couldn't name any of the youth squad.

Babbel on the other hand brought in the youth when required, which was a mandate from the club - we have an academy for a reason.

That above quote from Bridge is miles apart to what he said last year when it was along the lines of "something isn't working" and it alluded to the coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Gombau also came in with a "youth record" and then didn't go to any NPL training sessions and couldn't name any of the youth squad.

Babbel on the other hand brought in the youth when required, which was a mandate from the club - we have an academy for a reason.

That above quote from Bridge is miles apart to what he said last year when it was along the lines of "something isn't working" and it alluded to the coach.

You'll get no dissagreement from me about Gombau except to the fact that the players had a responsibility to put in last season...... and this season with the results  even worse..........say they haven't

My point is the players have gotten away with mediocrity for two seasons. If Babbels is the one to end it......good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

You obviously haven’t seen JP in action, he isn’t the arm round the shoulder & big on the D&M’s :lol:

Good, the level of performance the team has shown this year has been pathetic, some of the heart shown by the boys on the field has been close to zero. He made the comment along the lines of “the boys are nice, the type I’d want dating my daughter but these are not the qualities you need on the football field”.

To those that are happy to come along for a ride, pick up a pay cheque & be happy with mediocrity. We are happy for your service, thanks but no thanks.

Man management was Gombau’s problem, he was an arm around the shoulder type person but struggled controlling the dressing room. Whether that falls under “manager of people” category I’m unsure but I think it is more a reflection of his management style, he was a poor fit for the players we had in our squad last year. Gombau had a specific idea of what he wanted to do but wasn’t able to adapt to the players he had at his disposal (you could also say that he wasn’t able to convince the dressing room to buy into his philosophy).

I know JP's methods very well tbh, that was my point. He & MB seem to be very similar in their approach. 

I'm not saying MB is at fault entirely but being a leader at a club (or business) means you need to adjust your style & approach to different personalities, doesn't sound like it's happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

not so sure about that, first hand (once again standard internet hero line) he is a different type of manager for Australia no doubt as he is not interested in being their mates but more their coach and he is not afraid to rip them publically or otherwise but the overwhelming feel is if you put in you get rewarded (Russell, Kamau, Majok, Tass) and if you don't you get benched (ABJ, Roly, Riera, Majok, Russell). If you show a lack of discipline or what he sees as disrespect then don't bother coming back (Sotirio, Janjetovic, Risdon).  That is what the players struggled with earlier but my mail is the opposite, they want to play for him and have bought into it. Every time you talk to MB or those around him he is astounded at the lack of pressure from others wanting a jersey in Aust (probably a result of the salary cap league) and therefore the lack of urgency and desperation at the top level.  But yea some would say his man management skills are not exactly what these guys are used to but a long way from poor, he is highly intelligent tactically and in general.

Edited by scarcev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

You guys are speaking as if we didn’t have Popa at the club as our inaugural coach. I’d say they are one & the same when it came to man management.

I agree, guess one difference was most of the original foundation players were desperate, Bridge, Elrich, NTS, Cole, Beauchamp, Halitii, D'Appuzo, Covic these guys were at last chance saloon, mostly released by their Clubs and all with one year contracts, maybe that's the desperation that MB been missing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, scarcev said:

I agree, guess one difference was most of the original foundation players were desperate, Bridge, Elrich, NTS, Cole, Beauchamp, Halitii, D'Appuzo, Covic these guys were at last chance saloon, mostly released by their Clubs and all with one year contracts, maybe that's the desperation that MB been missing

The other difference is those foundation players could play football and gave a **** 

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

The other difference is those foundation players could play football and gave a **** 

Really? D’apuzzo was no frills, Dino (forgive me for this unholy of sins) was incredibly average, heff did a job & so did poljak but not much more. The list could go on but they all had one thing in common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Really? D’apuzzo was no frills, Dino (forgive me for this unholy of sins) was incredibly average, heff did a job & so did poljak but not much more. The list could go on but they all had one thing in common.

Yep Really

D’apuzzo was a far better player than he was given credit for 

Ono is the best footballer we have had 

Bridge and Hersi were very good 

Polenz and Covic, NTS were excellent  

Beachamp, La Rocca and Poljak disciplined players that could execute a game plan 

And we had players like mooy and Haliti too 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sonar said:

We had this from sources about Gombau last season.....he wasn't a good manager of people......he talked down to them etc,etc,etc......it may be correct with Babbel as well but perhaps if the players put in on the pitch and did their job then a lot of the supposed angst from the coaching staff would go away. 

Oh no...it's happening again! :(

And I'm weighing in...….....again!

What are the reasons for players not putting in....if the coach has what it takes to be a good coach and get the best out of his players?

 

EDIT - don't worry about answering (if anyone was inclined to)  - I just read thru the posts that followed the one I quoted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Yep Really

D’apuzzo was a far better player than he was given credit for 

Ono is the best footballer we have had 

Bridge and Hersi were very good 

Polenz and Covic, NTS were excellent  

Beachamp, La Rocca and Poljak disciplined players that could execute a game plan 

And we had players like mooy and Haliti too 

 

Each player knew their job and how to execute it. Add to that a group of players with a point to prove and one of the best players the HAL has ever seen in Ono, then it was a recipe for success.

I appreciated them at the time, but I do much more now looking back. And I wonder if we will ever see a player the quality of Ono in a wanderers jersey again any time soon.

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't disagree those players had incredible seasons but at the time they come to us - D'Appuzzo was playing NPL, Bridge got a release from Sydney after losing his starting spot and only played as a sub for half a season, Covic had no Club was not wanted at Victory behind Velaphi and Lawrence,  NTS no contract at Newcastle and released, Halitit same not wanted and told to look.  Agree with the imports though Ono is one of the best footballers the League has ever seen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Oh no...it's happening again! :(

And I'm weighing in...….....again!

What are the reasons for players not putting in....if the coach has what it takes to be a good coach and get the best out of his players?

I'll reply anyway.......:D

Because some of them couldn't be f****d...........easy money........:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

The only thing that worries me about Babbel is that he took one look Hamill and thought him Captain material..........

Bridge wasn’t fit, and there was really nobody else

The fact that Hammil was seen as a regular starter says a lot about that squad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sonar said:

I'll reply anyway.......:D

Because some of them couldn't be f****d...........easy money........:D

You know.... I find it really hard to think of any professional sports person ...who is basically performing in front of tens of thousands of people (when you think of those watching on TV, in addition to those in a stadium) who couldn't be ****ed. I just don't buy it. 

Most of us with any degree of self respect will do a good day's work, even  without having a spotlight on us.

People who have striven and sacrificed to make sport a career wouldn't easily want to humiliate themselves under the sort of scrutiny football players experience, by putting in a half arsed performance.

Might they put in a bad performance? Or a season of bad performances? Of course they might.

But to me, it's more likely that they are lacking confidence in themselves and in their team, than that they can't be bothered to play their best. And even the best of the best will have their performances decline in that circumstance.

 

Broken record......lol - but I just don't buy that.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

You know.... I find it really hard to think of any professional sports person ...who is basically performing in front of tens of thousands of people (when you think of those watching on TV, in addition to those in a stadium) who couldn't be ****ed. I just don't buy it. 

Most of us with any degree of self respect will do a good day's work, even  without having a spotlight on us.

People who have striven and sacrificed to make sport a career wouldn't easily want to humiliate themselves under the sort of scrutiny football players experience, by putting in a half arsed performance.

Might they put in a bad performance? Or a season of bad performances? Of course they might.

But to me, it's more likely that they are lacking confidence in themselves and in their team, than that they can't be bothered to play their best. And even the best of the best will have their performances decline in that circumstance.

 

Broken record......lol - but I just don't buy that.

.

Confidence, mentality, not putting in a shift...meh..I just think the the squad this season carried too many who are simply not good enough, simple as that. See Hamill and Elrich as starters for example, Popa knew their strength was in sitting on the bench until last resort or long trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

You know.... I find it really hard to think of any professional sports person ...who is basically performing in front of tens of thousands of people (when you think of those watching on TV, in addition to those in a stadium) who couldn't be ****ed. I just don't buy it. 

Most of us with any degree of self respect will do a good day's work, even  without having a spotlight on us.

People who have striven and sacrificed to make sport a career wouldn't easily want to humiliate themselves under the sort of scrutiny football players experience, by putting in a half arsed performance.

Might they put in a bad performance? Or a season of bad performances? Of course they might.

But to me, it's more likely that they are lacking confidence in themselves and in their team, than that they can't be bothered to play their best. And even the best of the best will have their performances decline in that circumstance.

 

Broken record......lol - but I just don't buy that.

.

 There is never one simple reason why a team fails, sure confidence has a lot to do with it, and winning breeds confidence more than anything 

attitude and application  is a big thing too, said it loads of times but if Victor Saba has half the application of Shannon Cole he’d be a top player 

I still think this squad wasn’t good enough and lacked a “spine”

Also I don’t think Babbel has been that negative with them at all, most of his post match press conferences are we played well, but didn’t take our chances.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

People who have striven and sacrificed to make sport a career wouldn't easily want to humiliate themselves under the sort of scrutiny football players experience, by putting in a half arsed performance.

 

I don't know some of them gave it a red hot go this season wendy...............:D.....Vedran comes to mind......humiliation for him the club and fans.

I don't know what else the managers can do apart from buying a couple of couches, one or two psychologist  ........perhaps a care cat or dog to pat when it gets all too hard..........:D

.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Confidence, mentality, not putting in a shift...meh..I just think the the squad this season carried too many who are simply not good enough, simple as that. See Hamill and Elrich as starters for example, Popa knew their strength was in sitting on the bench until last resort or long trip.

Yep 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sonar said:

 

I don't know what else the managers can do apart from buying a couple of couches, one or two psychologist  ........perhaps a care cat or dog to pat when it gets all too hard..........:D

.

 

lol is that the Wendy world of football management, we need a wanderers club cat and all will be well:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I just think the the squad this season carried too many who are simply not good enough, simple as that. See Hamill and Elrich as starters for example, Popa knew their strength was in sitting on the bench until last resort or long trip.

 

6 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Yep 

But that isn't the same as saying they didn't give a sh**… is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

 

But that isn't the same as saying they didn't give a sh**… is it?

ok, they were not good enough, and they didn't give a shyte. That covers Sotirio anyway I think....

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×