WSW 18/19 & 19/20 Club Thread

8 hours ago, mack said:
10 hours ago, papersun said:

Could be good but he's not one of my favourite Frings.

Andre Schubert looks like a mean mother, could be just what's needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Schubert

Do you have any youtube highlights videos?

Just had a look on You Tube, Andre Schubert can now be ruled out, was laughing in one video, definitely not what's required.

8 minutes ago, papersun said:

Just had a look on You Tube, Andre Schubert can now be ruled out, was laughing in one video, definitely not what's required.

His picture on Transfermarkt shows him as a smiling assassin

And he could be Kevin Muscat's cousin.

Played as centreback.

Has been in charge of youth 

Last tenure had 28 wins, 9 draws and 28 losses.

14 hours ago, papersun said:

If you have Netflix, have a look for a documentary called Trainer, it is in German with English Subtitles, but it was made in 2014 I think and follows 3 'new' managers in Bundes 2/3  over 12 months.  These 3 are all graduates of the German Management School.  Andre was one of them, very interesting and it looks at his sacking from St Pauli etc.

15 hours ago, papersun said:

Now I can’t stop singing

“Frings can only get better”

45 minutes ago, Posthoc said:

If you have Netflix, have a look for a documentary called Trainer, it is in German with English Subtitles, but it was made in 2014 I think and follows 3 'new' managers in Bundes 2/3  over 12 months.  These 3 are all graduates of the German Management School.  Andre was one of them, very interesting and it looks at his sacking from St Pauli etc.

Thanks for this - I've added in my account to watch!

2 minutes ago, tranquilo said:

jason , syd utd (58), they say he quit but someone wants to become player/coach for the new team.

Just looked up the 442 forum on NSW State Lague and it appears to 2 players starting the trouble. 

How about Schubert for Head Coach and Jason as an assistant.

On 30/04/2018 at 8:36 PM, mack said:

It's a nothing article. Our club could "rule it out" all we like, but if they fail to get their targets then we could end up with an Australian anyway. Pointless article, since anyone with a brain knows that we're going to look overseas first.

Doesn't do any harm reminding people that we are not going to sign Okon, a sub-standard or mediocre Aussie, or bring back Popa, Milicic. It's not going to happen.  The Gombau era is something the club will not want to experience ever again, if they can help it. This time they are going to sign a pro.

6 minutes ago, FCB said:

Doesn't do any harm reminding people that we are not going to sign Okon, a sub-standard or mediocre Aussie, or bring back Popa, Milicic. It's not going to happen.  The Gombau era is something the club will not want to experience ever again, if they can help it. This time they are going to sign a pro.

I watched Trainer yesterday. Only 1 of the 3 coaches that were focussed on is still working, Frank Schmidt.

the guy (Schubert) we are supposed to be chasing seemed to be very intense. Opinion? He does have a Sports Science Degree on top of coaching. 

9 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

I watched Trainer yesterday. Only 1 of the 3 coaches that were focussed on is still working, Frank Schmidt.

the guy (Schubert) we are supposed to be chasing seemed to be very intense. Opinion? He does have a Sports Science Degree on top of coaching. 

Schubert was on the radar in October, don't know if he was interested, or if we still are. He'd be a bomb for the HAL. Has recently coached BL in a community club, and he is experienced at youth level. That coaches in BL1 and BL2 get sacked says little about their capabilities. Both leagues are cut throat, and this season even Bayern and Dortmund's coaches copped it.

Frank Schmidt isn't going anywhere. He's been at Heidenheim for more than 10 years, and has a contract until 2020.

Schubert seems the type of guy who could attract a position in Europe without much difficulty. He has experience with youth coaching & development as well as being a technical director. Doesn't seem to enjoy draws too much.

12 minutes ago, FCB said:

Schubert was on the radar in October, don't know if he was interested, or if we still are. He'd be a bomb for the HAL. Has recently coached BL in a community club, and he is experienced at youth level. That coaches in BL1 and BL2 get sacked says little about their capabilities. Both leagues are cut throat, and this season even Bayern and Dortmund's coaches copped it.

Frank Schmidt isn't going anywhere. He's been at Heidenheim for more than 10 years, and has a contract until 2020.

Sounds good. The only thing that we don't know then is if he speaks English!

I read somewhere that JT is in Europe interviewing.

The other guy on Trainer sounded perfect for Bulut!

Gombau suits a club that has time and patience to work on bringing in a new style/structure. Bigger clubs have the pressure of demand from fans and board for more instant results. Gombau couldn't achieve this in la liga as all teams either want instant results or on the other end of the scale are trying to battle from relegation and need also instant turnover.

2nd division professional leagues or leagues like our own, Hong kong etc is where these type of coaches can nurture a style a team. Team has to be willing to give that coach the time to develop. 

Club knew what Gombau was like and his philosophy and still signed him up. Hope we don't make same mistake again and go for a coach with same mentaility and players that he has not chosen and won't fit his tactical style.

Sevillas ex coach montella who just got the axe a week ago after 8 losses in 17 games also was playing better football and developing the team gettin them to quarters of ucl and final of copa del rey but at the cause of some heavy defeats including a 5-0 loss in the copa del rey final, his philosophy didn't suit a big club like sevilla who need instant results.

Gombau good coach but for wrong team, lets get it right this time.

2 hours ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

So these are the possible candidates for the job, German managers

• Dirk Schuster
  • andre Schubert 
  • mirko slomka
  • jens Keller 
  • Markus Gisdol

my personal choice out of these coaches would be mirko slomka being that he has most experienced of coaching in bl1 with over 200 game experience( coaching)  in BL1 and has coached at big clubs including Schalke Hannover and Hamburg last club he coached at was BL2 club kalhurster hasn't had a job since late 2017 seems to be a good option experience  wise plays a 4 4 2 with double 6 

You left Alex Nouri off the list who would be my favorite after Schubert. If we sign a coach of that kind of quality, and they align themselves with what the clubs wants and sees itself, then we'll be laughing.

Slomka hasn't done anything much for in the success department over the last five years. Gisdol is in the same league.

Dirk Schuster has a contract, and is in talks with Darmstadt to renew should they be relegated. But he appears to have disqualified himself in October anyway.

5 minutes ago, tranquilo said:

Gombau suits a club that has time and patience to work on bringing in a new style/structure. Bigger clubs have the pressure of demand from fans and board for more instant results. Gombau couldn't achieve this in la liga as all teams either want instant results or on the other end of the scale are trying to battle from relegation and need also instant turnover.

2nd division professional leagues or leagues like our own, Hong kong etc is where these type of coaches can nurture a style a team. Team has to be willing to give that coach the time to develop. 

Club knew what Gombau was like and his philosophy and still signed him up. Hope we don't make same mistake again and go for a coach with same mentaility and players that he has not chosen and won't fit his tactical style.

Sevillas ex coach montella who just got the axe a week ago after 8 losses in 17 games also was playing better football and developing the team gettin them to quarters of ucl and final of copa del rey but at the cause of some heavy defeats including a 5-0 loss in the copa del rey final, his philosophy didn't suit a big club like sevilla who need instant results.

Gombau good coach but for wrong team, lets get it right this time.

Gombau misrepresented himself in the interviews. He said one thing in October, and did something totally different from November onwards. He is not a manager, but something else.

16 minutes ago, FCB said:

Gombau misrepresented himself in the interviews. He said one thing in October, and did something totally different from November onwards. He is not a manager, but something else.

Apparently, he may have misrepresented himself as to his role with the Barcelona Academy as well. 

25 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Apparently, he may have misrepresented himself as to his role with the Barcelona Academy as well. 

Based on what was said on Soccer Stoppage Time, sounded like he had a lot of experience at "parking the bus"

9 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Oh yes I forgot Alex Nouri I knew there was one more but does he have enough expertise for the job isn't he like 38 or something but otherwise he is a good candidate for the job

Any coach who has solid BL1 and BL2 experience as player and manager is worth looking at.

Bremen is a community club, he speaks English, coached at youth level - and Nouri is a half-wog :-) - he'd fit right in! 

Yes, the relative inexperience and his age might be a deterrant. But then again, Popa was 38 when he was appointed. Nouri is 38. 

All if this is just conversation though. Off season talk. I have no idea who the targets are. 

Darmstadt and Dirk Schuster might just make it. They've pulled out of the relegation zone with a 10 game unbeaten run. With 1 game to play they face the team just below them. If one teams win they are guaranteed to stay up.

18 hours ago, mack said:

Darmstadt and Dirk Schuster might just make it. They've pulled out of the relegation zone with a 10 game unbeaten run. With 1 game to play they face the team just below them. If one teams win they are guaranteed to stay up.

I may owe FCB a testicle very soon...

Beating relegation may not save him though.

Popa is off to Perth ... Where are we discussing that news?  I couldn't find a thread for it, so I just thought I'd add it here:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/tony-popovic-return-to-aleague-as-perth-glory-coach/news-story/c2c3cb4e0d2dba7ca1ed1930a4f4d308

Although Perth is a 5-hour flight from here, someone needs to tell him that it's not quite Europe ...

1 hour ago, bombagol said:

Popa is off to Perth ... Where are we discussing that news?  I couldn't find a thread for it, so I just thought I'd add it here:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/tony-popovic-return-to-aleague-as-perth-glory-coach/news-story/c2c3cb4e0d2dba7ca1ed1930a4f4d308

Although Perth is a 5-hour flight from here, someone needs to tell him that it's not quite Europe ...

But it is 5 hours closer.

Now there are 3 clubs without head coaches.  Smurfs, Nix and us.

4 hours ago, bombagol said:

We literally have specific threads for each of the other A-League teams.

Post in the Perth thread.

• mack changed the title to Coach and Staff Thread: The Babbel Era
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic
  • mack locked and unpinned this topic