Jump to content
mack

WSW 18/19 & 19/20 Club Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, wswnick said:

I will be a disaster if they decide to just drop the cap to $1.6m and allows teams who already signed to have exceptions. Some contracts are longer than the next year, so you can't keep making them exempt. You may as well just get rid of the cap at that point.

I'm with Mack on this one. Just get rid of the cap and bring in a proper transfer system.

You can't have exceptions in the Cap.

We either have it (the cap) and enforce that all team are on an even budget, or you don't have it and let the better managed teams and those willing to invest to prosper 

Having exceptions is the worst of both worlds, the League would be legislating for and enforcing inequity, which is surely is against the point of the cap. It is stupid, and therefore exactly what the FFA will do

Share this post


Link to post

I know a lot of us would do away with the salary cap, but it always sounds like there is a bit of push back from the clubs themselves to mantain the salary cap or keep in some form. Maybe to keep cost down? 

Share this post


Link to post

The club owners don't trust themselves to run their clubs without succumbing to inflationary pressure in a league where you can get relegated for bad performance.

Imagine if the Mariners got relegated and replaced with a well run NPL club. Heidelberg have won the NPL Victoria league three years in a row, Apia have won trophies the last two years in a row, Wollongong Wolves often appear to be a first division club just waiting to get in.

Meanwhile the Wanderers under penny pinching Lederer are into our fourth year of oblivion and there's nothing so far to make next year look promising. Victory are having a shockingly poor season and will have to go through a rebuild.

Right now Victory & WSW can just rest easy knowing that the Mariners will finish last as usual and that it doesn't matter anyway because there's no relegation. With no cap and a relegation to worry about the owners will be forced to cough up just to survive in the first division.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, mack said:

The club owners don't trust themselves to run their clubs without succumbing to inflationary pressure in a league where you can get relegated for bad performance.

Imagine if the Mariners got relegated and replaced with a well run NPL club. Heidelberg have won the NPL Victoria league three years in a row, Apia have won trophies the last two years in a row, Wollongong Wolves often appear to be a first division club just waiting to get in.

Meanwhile the Wanderers under penny pinching Lederer are into our fourth year of oblivion and there's nothing so far to make next year look promising. Victory are having a shockingly poor season and will have to go through a rebuild.

Right now Victory & WSW can just rest easy knowing that the Mariners will finish last as usual and that it doesn't matter anyway because there's no relegation. With no cap and a relegation to worry about the owners will be forced to cough up just to survive in the first division.

Pro-Rel is what we need I dont think salary cap will make any difference, most teams don't full use it and the marquee spots now, don't see why dropping the cap will change much. 

Share this post


Link to post

We need to align ourselves with the rest of the footballing world, if that means no cap then so be it. The cap hasn't worked much over the past 10 years so it needs to be fixed or scraped.

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, MistahCampoy said:

We need to align ourselves with the rest of the footballing world, if that means no cap then so be it. The cap hasn't worked much over the past 10 years so it needs to be fixed or scraped.

If they "fix" it, scum fc will find a way to rort it. If they scrap it then it will show everyone how much each club spends 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, alexd said:

If they "fix" it, scum fc will find a way to rort it. If they scrap it then it will show everyone how much each club spends 

Lol more than likely.

I'm in for scrapping it all together, give it a few seasons with no cap and see how we go. Nothing saying we cant place a cap back on if it doesn't work out, we just cant keep on doing the same thing every season with no positive results

Share this post


Link to post

If you get rid of the cap then basically it's down to the owners of the licence to spend on players. Does anyone think our owners would cough up the cash for a decent squad or would they rely on "The Academy" players....?

I have my doubts they would spend .

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, sonar said:

If you get rid of the cap then basically it's down to the owners of the licence to spend on players. Does anyone think our owners would cough up the cash for a decent squad or would they rely on "The Academy" players....?

I have my doubts they would spend .

IMHO I don't think "bleeding" academy players properly and mixing them with some good established local talent and reasonable exports is out of the question. 

Without a salary cap we could add as many youth players to the playing squad without necessarily loosing them to others - without the cap and with a proper transfer system we could capitalise on it if we're smart.

Some of our youth player with more flair/skill and confidence than some of our seniors - is there really much between Adam and Yeboah, Tass and McGowan, really? 
 

Also, if the owners don't want to spend the cash, then GTFO and sell it to someone who is not in it for just the $$$$. Surely shitney fc do not have the ONLY owner in the world who has deep pockets. And remember we're not talking Messi, Ronaldo or van der something, ($20M-$80M) we talking f*%^ng Bobo, Ninkovic and le Fondre type players ($1M-$4M at most)

Share this post


Link to post

JT "WSW make top 6" SUCCESSFUL SEASON 

JT "WSW finish outside of the top 6" SUCCESSFUL SEASON

4 , 5 season's hanging at the bottom , BRUVA ENOUGH IS ENOUGH 

 

24 points apart , in a ten team comp 🤦‍♂️ 

Let that sink in

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, alexd said:

IMHO I don't think "bleeding" academy players properly and mixing them with some good established local talent and reasonable exports is out of the question. 

Without a salary cap we could add as many youth players to the playing squad without necessarily loosing them to others - without the cap and with a proper transfer system we could capitalise on it if we're smart.

Some of our youth player with more flair/skill and confidence than some of our seniors - is there really much between Adam and Yeboah, Tass and McGowan, really? 
 

Also, if the owners don't want to spend the cash, then GTFO and sell it to someone who is not in it for just the $$$$. Surely shitney fc do not have the ONLY owner in the world who has deep pockets. And remember we're not talking Messi, Ronaldo or van der something, ($20M-$80M) we talking f*%^ng Bobo, Ninkovic and le Fondre type players ($1M-$4M at most)

We have spent the money (in past seasons) but pissed it away Pio, Cejudo weren’t cheap

then we do find a good player we let em go too early 

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

We have spent the money (in past seasons) but pissed it away Pio, Cejudo weren’t cheap

then we do find a good player we let em go too early 

Yes agreed, specially with the second statement.  Thing is one cannot stop spending because we get burned a few times (even though we've had more duds than just those two). It's a long term process mixed with good sales of players - that is why the transfer system is needed. Who here wouldn't have kept Antonis, Ikonomidis, Polenz, even Covic - just to name a few....

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, alexd said:

Yes agreed, specially with the second statement.  Thing is one cannot stop spending because we get burned a few times (even though we've had more duds than just those two). It's a long term process mixed with good sales of players - that is why the transfer system is needed. Who here wouldn't have kept Antonis, Ikonomidis, Polenz, even Covic - just to name a few....

 

The cull prior going to SoP makes me angry whenever I think about it had a team that finished second lost grand final and was basically a striker away from dominating (if we had reira rather than Pio we’d have smashed the league) 

Instead if signing a striker we 

let go Three very good overseas players in Andreau, Alberto and Castelan
 

to bring in 

Borda, Pinatares and Jumpei

also lost key players in Bridge and NTS

To cap it off we didn’t sign a striker other than Bulut 

Ffs we still haven’t recovered on or off the pitch 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

The cull prior going to SoP makes me angry whenever I think about it had a team that finished second lost grand final and was basically a striker away from dominating (if we had reira rather than Pio we’d have smashed the league) 

Instead if signing a striker we 

let go Three very good overseas players in Andreau, Alberto and Castelan
 

to bring in 

Borda, Pinatares and Jumpei

also lost key players in Bridge and NTS

To cap it off we didn’t sign a striker other than Bulut 

Ffs we still haven’t recovered on or off the pitch 

SUCCESSFUL SEASON 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, 1988banana said:

SUCCESSFUL SEASON 

Finished 6th so by the standards of the following seasons it was 

depressing isn’t it 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

The cull prior going to SoP makes me angry whenever I think about it had a team that finished second lost grand final and was basically a striker away from dominating (if we had reira rather than Pio we’d have smashed the league) 

Instead if signing a striker we 

let go Three very good overseas players in Andreau, Alberto and Castelan
 

to bring in 

Borda, Pinatares and Jumpei

also lost key players in Bridge and NTS

To cap it off we didn’t sign a striker other than Bulut 

Ffs we still haven’t recovered on or off the pitch 

And when these players (Antonis, Economidis etc) come back to Australia after unsuccessful stints OS, we don't want a bar of them even though we know of their quality. Look at MV, as soon as Nabbout and Rojas are available to come back, they make sure they come back to Victory.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Zakman said:

And when these players (Antonis, Economidis etc) come back to Australia after unsuccessful stints OS, we don't want a bar of them even though we know of their quality. Look at MV, as soon as Nabbout and Rojas are available to come back, they make sure they come back to Victory.

It’s ok we had signed Nick Fitzgerald 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Zakman said:

And when these players (Antonis, Economidis etc) come back to Australia after unsuccessful stints OS, we don't want a bar of them even though we know of their quality. Look at MV, as soon as Nabbout and Rojas are available to come back, they make sure they come back to Victory.

Signing Ikonomidis was one of the few things Gombau got right. Shame we let him go ( Ikonomidis ).

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, sonar said:

Signing Ikonomidis was one of the few things Gombau got right. Shame we let him go ( Ikonomidis ).

 Fitzgerald, Kamau, Tongyik his parting gifts to us 

to be fair if Kamau leg doesn’t fall off he’s ok 

 

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

 Fitzgerald, Kamau, Tongyik his parting gifts to us 

to be fair if Kamau leg doesn’t fall off he’s ok 

 

lol

As was shown by Manfred in his poll of the dross signed by us, Gombau is not alone in the signing of duds...lol

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, sonar said:

lol

As was shown by Manfred in his poll of the dross signed by us, Gombau is not alone in the signing of duds...lol

:D

True, but it’s a strong counter to the “give him his own team and you’ll see” arguement 

our signings have been mostly dreadful since season 4 and we never seem to hold on to the good ones 

look at how long ninkovic has been at Shelbyville for 

 

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

True, but it’s a strong counter to the “give him his own team and you’ll see” arguement 

 

Not really....The results on the pitch were in the end the cause of his ( Gombau ) demise...same as Babbel.....(as it will be for JPdM),

Babbel as opposed to Gombau was supposedly a great man manager and that didn't work out too well did it. Stats were even worse.

I don't have as much disdain for Gombau as some but thats just me.:P 

A manger fails and loses his job....happens everywhere.....in all competitions. 

Share this post


Link to post

Popa still the yardstick to be measured against, mentioned it here before, it's tough at the top, got to be your own man and kick the dross to one side and be in charge of yours and the club's destiny a la Ferguson, Shankly, Wenger, Mourhino etc

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Popa still the yardstick to be measured against, mentioned it here before, it's tough at the top, got to be your own man and kick the dross to one side and be in charge of yours and the club's destiny a la Ferguson, Shankly, Wenger, Mourhino etc

His last full season was bad, but I don't know to what point his hands were tied by the Clubs budget, but letting Alberto, Andreau and Castelan go and replacing with the axis of shite was a bad move, coupled with not getting a striker until a last minute panic return of Bulut 

My critism with Popa (if I have one) is that it all felt like it was built on Sand, get a bunch of players in push them to the limit, get rid of them, get another bunch do the same... Maybe not his fault but he didn't leave us with any sort of foundation to move forward. Squad was a mess, no successor lined up to take over etc. 

Shelbyville have lost managers and still kept continutiy 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

We are very Everton at the moment

Popa = Moyes (long term manager, squeezed best out of limited players for decent results, started fading at the end)

Gumby = Martinez (all about the philsophy, endless passing round the back for no benefit, basically plays Tantric Football,  kamikaze defence, nice shoes, poor recrutiment that takes years to get rid of)

Koeman = Babbel (big name, no disernable idea about we were actually trying to do, more average recruitment, club treads water before starting to sink)

Is JP Alladyce? (overly defensive football?) or is he  Carlo Ancelliotti? (leads us to the promised land)

 

 

oh and we get to watch the rivals on other side of city win stuff

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post

We somehow seem to also sign the duds to multi year deals and the good ones to single year deals (or loans). So when they want a payrise in their extension we have no room in the cap to extend them all so we lose them to another club or we have to release some to keep others. I recall that being the issue with Andreu, Dimas and Alberto and we only kept Dimas which turned out to be the worse one to keep.

Share this post


Link to post

Reading these last posts, would be interesting to know in our short history of the club, how many players have gone through the roster, shortest stint and longest stint.

sure it's out there somewhere but info mining is not my strong point.

Share this post


Link to post

I know that Sotirio is 4th and Hamill is 5th on the all time appearances list for the club...

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Davo said:

I know that Sotirio is 4th and Hamill is 5th on the all time appearances list for the club...

Please tell me you're taking the urine!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...