mack

WSW 18/19 & 19/20 Club Thread

1 hour ago, WSWJACK said:

longest stint

Sotirio played with us for 6 seasons from his debut in Dec 2013 through to his final game vs the Mariners in Feb 2019. Incidentally scoring in his final game.

Bridge was with us from our first A-League game until he left after our Adelaide GF (4 seasons), missed Season 16/17 then returned for two more seasons (17/18 & 18/19).

Quite a few players had 5 season stints. Most of these have been the core group who stayed from our first game until the Adelaide GF, although Hamill got into this group after joining for the 2014/15 season through to 2018/19.

1 hour ago, WSWJACK said:

shortest stint

Meier & Tongyik. Meier's time from first A-League game to last was only 2 and a half months. Tongyik only played in our first and 2nd games of 2018/19 and then left in January, so going on "first game to last" his time was only 6 days. The various players we've signed in a January window that only stayed that half-season would also apply.

WSW have had 125 players make a competitive A-League appearance.

Majewski and Fabian Monge appear to be the only Wanderers players to have made appearances but none in the A-League, with 3 & 1 FFA Cup games respectively.

Surely Adeleke didn't play many, might add acl games to think a couple more players might not have played a league. 

Judge me on my appearances Griffiths didn't play much, didn't Nick ward play about 10 mins before his leg fell off

Ward played a sum total of about 16 minutes for us with the last action in the game being him doing his ACL. IIRC he got an injury payout from insurance of basically a year worth of his weekly wage and used it to open up a coffee shop in Melbourne.

The lowest minute counts I could find for WSW include (this isn't 100% accurate because it doesn't include injury time):

• Michael Trajovski (1 game, 4 minutes)
  • Matt Sim (1 game, 6 minutes)
  • Noah Pagden (1 game, 6 minutes)
  • Ali Auglah (1 game, 6 minutes)
  • Jake Trew (1 game, 7 minutes)
  • Mario Shabow (2 games, 23 minutes)
  • Josh Macdonald (2 games, 33 minutes)
  • Reece Caira (2 games, 24 minutes)

Liam Youlley managed just 2 games for 105 minutes but scored a goal on debut. Rocky Visconte played in 3 games with just 45 minutes of game-time, and managed to score a goal and get 1 win, 1 draw and 1 loss which also happened to be playing in a Grand Final.

12 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Finished 6th so by the standards of the following seasons it was 

depressing isn’t it 

Well ade utd 4-1 up half time , so we got no hope 

#SUCCESSFULSEASON

On 30/07/2020 at 10:10 AM, WSWJACK said:

Popa still the yardstick to be measured against, mentioned it here before, it's tough at the top, got to be your own man and kick the dross to one side and be in charge of yours and the club's destiny a la Ferguson, Shankly, Wenger, Mourhino etc

Mourhino can go suck a fat one, he is a flop of a coach these days

Western Sydney chairman Paul Lederer will not rule out an independent review into the club's operations after missing out on the A-League's generous finals system for a third successive season.

The Wanderers are staring down yet another off-season of soul searching and rebuilding after Friday's 5-3 defeat to Western United put paid to their top-six chances.

The 2014 Asian champions are now a shadow of their former selves, the only club alongside perennial strugglers Central Coast Mariners to miss the past three finals series. Lederer sympathised with the frustration of fans, describing Friday's performance as "very, very disappointing".

He believes the squad is strong enough to compete for titles and suggested the club's problems no not lie with the players but other departments. Lederer will join chief executive John Tsatsimas, football operations manager Gavin Costello and coach Jean-Paul de Marigny in conducting a full season review in the coming days. However, he has not ruled out seeking external advice and an independent review into their A-League department if that's what is required to restore the Wanderers back to their prior standing in Australian football.

"It’s quite possible. First, we are going to have a discussion among ourselves about what we can do better and, if it needs to be, we will seek independent help," Lederer said. "There’s nothing off the table when we have a review and we will have one now."

While the outcome of that review will dictate their approach to next season, what appears certain is newly appointed coach de Marigny will remain at the helm. Having taken over midway through the campaign, the former assistant to Markus Babbel has another full season in charge.

"We have got a great coaching staff, as good as any," Lederer said. "We have a great coaching staff, the latest guy joining us is Patrick [Zwaanswijk]… We are doing everything possible to make sure our future is successful.

Lederer won't open the purse strings to fix the team's performance. The issue of squad expenditure has become a point of frustration among Wanderers supporters on social media, who are disgruntled with reports captain Mitchell Duke is set to leave the club for Saudi Arabia instead of being offered an increased deal or marquee wages by the Wanderers.

Boasting a net worth valued at $1.14 billion by the Australian Financial Review last year, Lederer has the resources to do that and has paid for marquee players in the past. However, he doesn't see the squad's budget as the source of the problem, rather factors around the team that are undermining performances.

"It’s not about expenditure," Lederer said. "We spend as much as anyone in this league. I won’t say for a minute our squad isn’t good enough. It’s inconsistency that has cost us this season."

Senior A-League sources suggest the Wanderers are not in the top three spenders on their squad this season but that does not mean Lederer hasn't invested heavily in other areas. Western Sydney's training facility in Blacktown is the envy of the A-League while their academy has received significant funding, becoming the first youth set-up in NSW to cover the costs of registration of all junior participants.

"We are investing an absolute fortune into the academy, we are putting more money into the academy than any club in Australia by a long way," Lederer said. "Hopefully we find some good players and we give good players from Western Sydney an opportunity."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/quite-possible-wanderers-may-seek-independent-review-after-a-league-finals-failure-20200808-p55jvk.html

Well this doesn't sound great, however probably expected. Looks like Lederer isn't going to open the cheque book because he thinks our current team is good enough to win the competition lol. I don't understand what factors inside the club apart from staff, players and facilities will fix our performance. The staff influence/instruct how he wants the players to play, the facilities help them keep fit and assist in playing a style of football and the players go out and try and get results.

So if the players are supposedly good enough to win the competition, the coaching staff are great and the facilities are world class, whats the problem then Lederer?

There is our plan for next season  it is obvious that Lederer sees developing youth is the only way to go so expect a team of 20 year olds next season  

Lederer won't open the purse strings to fix the team's performance. 

So no finals next season by the looks of it.

18 minutes ago, sonar said:

Not belittling any of the comments on this article and agree if true we could be in for another grim season, and yes the stats over the last few seasons speak for themselves , but lets remember who the author of this article is ..the hand puppet for the smurfs, who never confuses truth with a good story and every chance to stick knives into WSW.   Based on previous bile that he has written would he really have inside information like this on the inner workings of WSW ???

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sonar said:

Developing the academy is great for the long term future of this club., hopefully in the years ahead we see a number of youngsters come out of there that make it. That is a 10 - 20 year and long strategy though. This club desperately needs to be competitive short term and the Bossi article doesn't fill me with much confidence. It shouldn't be that hard in small salary capped comp, all I ask is a tilt at the top 4 and a semi final or two with a shot at GF every now and again! The shyte we have been served up at home these last few seasons has been a shocker. I swear the Brissy Roar game at home (1 - 1 I think it was) is some of the worst football entertainment I have seen following the game for 35 years...absolute garbage.

Edited by Smoggy

18 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Developing the academy is great for the long term future of this club., hopefully in the years ahead we see a number of youngsters come out of there that make it. That is a 10 - 20 year and long strategy though. This club desperately needs to be competitive short term and the Bossi article doesn't fill me with much confidence. It shouldn't be that hard in small salary capped comp, all I ask is a tilt at the top 4 and a semi final or two with a shot at GF every now and again! The shyte we have been served up at home these last few seasons has been a shocker. I swear the Brissy Roar game at home (1 - 1 I think it was) is some of the worst football entertainment I have seen following the game for 35 years...absolute garbage.

Agree about the academy as a long term project and also we need to be competitive in the short term. Letting your top goal scorer for the season go without a replacement is short sighted imho. No offence to the Pieman Cox but he doesnt exactly fill me with confidence.

Here's the club review: get rid of Lederer, Tsatsimas and JP. In any other form of business the performance of the first two over the last few years would be enough to get them sacked. We're a joke on the pitch, and with the exception of a few highlights smattered throughout each season, we're consistent under achievers since before Popa left (which accelerated the decline).

And although there are some off the pitch aspects that will hopefully bear fruit (i.e. the academy and training base) there have been huge missteps that have done nothing but alienate a fledging supporter base. They keep relying on blind loyalty from fans who obviously love the club. Everything has a limit, and for many they've already gone past it.

The simple fact is, these suits do not know enough about football to be running the operation. They'll most likely keep their jobs, so need to invest in a Director of Football or someone to take the reigns and oversee the on field matters to correct this sinking ship. And the correction will take time. There is no band aid solution to paper over these cracks (more like fault lines).

JP just isn't up to the top job, IMO, and will keep his job for convenience and because he's (relatively) cheap due to Covid, changes to the league structure and the club continually throwing money away.

1 hour ago, jockman said:

Not belittling any of the comments on this article and agree if true we could be in for another grim season, and yes the stats over the last few seasons speak for themselves , but lets remember who the author of this article is ..the hand puppet for the smurfs, who never confuses truth with a good story and every chance to stick knives into WSW.   Based on previous bile that he has written would he really have inside information like this on the inner workings of WSW ???

Come on, I know there’s a lot of Bossi hate out there, but this article is very clearly based on an interview with the Chair of the club. Bossi is only revealing what he’s been told, and that particular line on the purse strings is supported by direct quotes from the Chair on squad expenditure.

Look, if Bossi is making up quotes I’ll eat my bucket hat, but it’s unlikely.

14 minutes ago, Generator said:

Look, if Bossi is making up quotes I’ll eat my bucket hat, but it’s unlikely.

What kind of sauce do you want with that? BBQ, mustard or tomato? 

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Right now you can’t convince me that the academy is even working.

We’ve heard jibber jabber to no end about how good some of these players are, and to be quite frank it simply isn’t true.

The only one showing some ability atm is Russel, though I think Mouda has the plumbs for it too. 

Grozos was downright god awful and has been parked on the bench ever since. Adam has shown very little (though strikers need time).

Not to mention the academy hasn’t produced a keeper that could save a ******* duck from drowning.

Also it’s pretty clear we have very little coming through based on the last 12 months results of the NYL/NPL.

50 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Right now you can’t convince me that the academy is even working.

We’ve heard jibber jabber to no end ....Mouda has the plumbs for it ....Downright god awful .....the academy hasn’t produced a keeper that could save a ******* duck from drowning.

Off topic I know, but I'm enjoying your colourful and entertaining turn of phrase, Upthehill!  :good:

:lol::lol:

4 hours ago, sonar said:

To be fair he forked out big for Piovaccari and Cejudo and got nothing for it

Then he forked out big on a coach in Babbel and got nothing for it

What else can he try? 

6 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

What else can he try? 

Have to agree there.

we had the second most expensive team supposedly, the year that Popa ran off. We then got a coach who refused to use that squad the way is was meant to be.

Klopp himself wouldn't have got anything out of Cejudo, Jumpei and Roly. They were abysmal. They scored 4 goals between them in their combined 53 games in 17/18. If Popovic stayed we'd have spent the entire season camped on our 6 yard box lumping long balls to Riera. The midfield of Kearyn & Herd didn't do anything of value (and Herd wreaked havoc on the team spirit until he was booted) and Risdon was either **** or overseas on international duty get injured.

As for the "review", if that article is accurate, Lederer believes it's not the players, it's not the coaches, it's not the facilities, it's not the youth and it's not his lack of spending.

Guess everything's fine then apparently. I must be imagining that we've been terrible for 4 years.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Unlimited said:

What else can he try? 

Keep trying. Eventually they just might get it right.     :D

Edited by sonar

1 hour ago, mack said:

As for the "review", if that article is accurate, Lederer believes it's not the players, it's not the coaches, it's not the facilities, it's not the youth and it's not his lack of spending.

Guess everything's fine then apparently. I must be imagining that we've been terrible for 4 years.

Any review will most probably be something like this......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FRVvjGL2C0

I actually think it is an important start.  I actually tend to agree that the squad we have is, on paper at least (and we have seen some signs at times - not enough for long enough, though) is at least as good as most of the A League sides.  I don't rate the players of many of the top 6 teams more highly than ours.  Can't tell me Wellington, Brisbane or Adelaide have squads that are expensive and excessively talented.  Inf act Adelaide has looked better with lots of kids on the park.  JP has made the team look okay before the break and the game against Wellington, they played some decent football - it was a pretty decent defensive effort.  Can't tell me that anyone here would have chosen coaches like Talay, Veart (even Corica) etc for us but they are doing a decent job, not world-beaters but decent A League level. 

I don't really know what is happening in the background or why the players are gelling - whether there is a problem around the style Babbel set the team up for then rejected and tried something else without the players for it...  What's going on in their heads - Yeboah seems to have had some emotional/psychological issues (reading into JP's words).  We are certainly playing a back 3 with 2 wing backs based around fullbacks who struggle to move forward and back.  The extra man at the back is not moving forward to fill midfield...  There is a systemic issue with how we play - that is clear and perhaps the team is unbalanced and lacking confidence.  We do look better with Kamau running forward at the opposition but he struggles to defend.  We don't have players who run at the opposition and we don't move quickly on or off the ball.  Is it confidence, clarity (and simplicity) of tactics?  HOw do we bring the younger players through - for us?  It is clear our set-up has/is producing good young players as demonstrated by how many play elsewhere and do okay - why not for us?

I won't defend the Board (which includes Lederer) but I don't think throwing money at the team will solve whatever is/isn't happening.  We have never done especially well with imports (since Ono and Hersi and they were desperate restoration projects by Popa in a desperate 1st year).  I reckon a decent review of everything will/should highlight a lot of stuff - some probably named on here and other stuff we can't grasp or understand from the outside.  After that it is up to theose in authority to make new and better decisions.  I suppose we will see!

6 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

I don't really know what is happening in the background or why the players are gelling - whether there is a problem around the style Babbel set the team up for then rejected and tried something else without the players for it...  What's going on in their heads - Yeboah seems to have had some emotional/psychological issues (reading into JP's words).  We are certainly playing a back 3 with 2 wing backs based around fullbacks who struggle to move forward and back.  The extra man at the back is not moving forward to fill midfield...  There is a systemic issue with how we play - that is clear and perhaps the team is unbalanced and lacking confidence.  We do look better with Kamau running forward at the opposition but he struggles to defend.  We don't have players who run at the opposition and we don't move quickly on or off the ball.  Is it confidence, clarity (and simplicity) of tactics?  HOw do we bring the younger players through - for us?  It is clear our set-up has/is producing good young players as demonstrated by how many play elsewhere and do okay - why not for us?

I agree with most of what you've written (in the entire post) but wanted to comment on this.

One of the most frustrating things since the restart is keeping the same formation that is obviously not working. Considering the team has played different formations earlier in the season (for better or worse) and were supposedly set up to have formation options, why stick with the same thing when it fails? Does JP not have faith that players will adapt, or he just doesn't have the tactical nous to change things up?

Re: young players. Why isn't Tass getting more opportunity when our CBs have all been horrible at times? He's probably one of our best young prospects but can't get a start unless forced.

Confidence is obviously an issue for the whole squad, but not changing anything when its obvious to blind Freddy it needs to change doesn't help. It looks like JP was desperately trying to jag enough wins to scrape into the 6. When the first idea failed, he did nothing to change it. Like for like subs, keeping the exact same starting 11 bar forced changes, it's incredibly frustrating.

I came here to watch good soccer but I wake up every morning after a Wanderers game and feel this sinking feeling in my stomach and I have heard all tough talk from Lederer, JT , Popa , Babbel , JPD and the knucklehead who threw a team of kids on against Smurfs and lost 5 blot I have heard it all,

i have never seen such poor decision making on players and coaches.

I just want to watch good quality soccer and the money I have Invested in the Wanderers has not given me the enjoyment.

enough is enough

Whatever the review does I hope it looks deeply into recruitment and the mentality and skill levels of the players we sign and those currently in the academy system. It's on the pitch where the results happen and it's on the pitch where the failures show up.

Babbel was pretty scathing of his/our players skill and mentality in his first season yet for all the public criticisms the results were worse when he had a full preseason and a relatively new squad to prepare. Something is seriously amiss at our club recruitment wise. Tbh I don't know what the answer is to get the players to perform on the pitch and not just in club vids on social media.