mack

WSW 18/19 & 19/20 Club Thread

39 minutes ago, billybob said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this, but I have looked at the results for the year against each opponent. 

• Adelaide - 6/6pts win, win
  • Victory - 6/6Pts win, win
  • Sydney - 7/9pts win, win, draw
  • Central Coast - 7/9pts win, win, draw
  • Wellington - 3/9 loss, loss, win
  • City - 1/6pts loss, draw
  • Newcastle, 1/6pts loss, draw
  • Brisbane - 1/9pts draw, loss, loss
  • West Utd - 1/9Pts loss, draw, loss
  • Perth - 0/9pts loss, loss, loss

26 of our 33 pts came against 4 clubs in 10 games, 2 of which were the bottom teams and 1 who was the champions.

We picked up just 7 pts from the other 6 teams 15 games.

No idea what it means, but thought it was interesting.

Any other year, 13/15 pts against Sydney and Victory was be considered a successful year.

It just highlights the consistency failings 

17 hours ago, mack said:

To me it suggests our wins against SFC were obvious statistical anomalies.

Showed that when we concentrated and gave a **** we could stop conceding stupid goals 

shouldn’t need to be a derby 

that said derby 1 Lopar kept us in it 

Not sure this is the right thread but I am surprised with the lack of comment on Steve Lustica , another ex wanderer who on the surface did not look the goods by after an overseas stint he seems to have picked up the 10 role at Western United very well , his game against Smurfs was top class and his response to the cove after scoring his late goal may have indicated that he still has a bit of wanderers desire to beat them.

3 hours ago, Keithie said:

Not sure this is the right thread but I am surprised with the lack of comment on Steve Lustica , another ex wanderer who on the surface did not look the goods by after an overseas stint he seems to have picked up the 10 role at Western United very well , his game against Smurfs was top class and his response to the cove after scoring his late goal may have indicated that he still has a bit of wanderers desire to beat them.

Poor guy, I remember Popa playing him out of his position for most of his stint with us. LW I believe. 

Has looked the goods since returning. Will always be remembered for scoring against Arsenal

4 minutes ago, Frankos187 said:

Poor guy, I remember Popa playing him out of his position for most of his stint with us. LW I believe. 

Has looked the goods since returning. Will always be remembered for scoring against Arsenal

Yep we've had far worse players than him since.

Posted (edited)

Johnson confirmed season start to be delayed to early 2021, pending discussions with Fox Sports on new start date.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/johnson-lauds-a-league-season-completion-552632?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=insidesport_autopost

Probably will hear about exits this week with quite a few of the other clubs already having announced departures the last couple of days. Don't expect to hear anything regarding re-signings or new signings until FFA and PFA sort out new salary cap...

Edited by wswnick

Suman at Macarthur Bulls......rs according to transfermarkt.

22 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Suman at Macarthur Bulls......rs according to transfermarkt.

Kalac confirmed that 2 weeks ago.

“There’s a fear that the league will lose a significant amount of its talent,” one involved party said.

“Some of the players have had enough. There could be a gutting of all the talent in the A-League.”

Doesn't sound too flash does it...?

Edited by sonar

Has been on the cards for a long time. I'd prefer a cut down league than a dead league. Got to pay the bills (including wages) and with a lot less money around there was always going to be big sacrifices.

The league will be predominantly a development/squaddie league for a while yet.

Oh no we might be stuck with players who can't defend or those we can't rely on for creativity.

I said it on twitter the other night, ditch the CBA for anything except ensuring clubs & players responsibilities towards each other are clear, and revert to the same basic structure that exists worldwide where the club & player agree to their contracts directly. I would also put in a new minimum, which would be something like 15 hours a week at whatever hourly wage the club & player agree (within the national minimum wage laws) for however many weeks the contract covers to remunerate youth/part time players for 4 days a week training and a game day if they agree to becoming semi-pro.

Transfer market is opened to all clubs at all levels, we bring in between 4 to 8 new A-League clubs and aim to get the 2nd tier open within 4 years with pro/rel coming in 2 years after the 2nd tier is established.

Without a drastic reduction in the wage costs going forward (as I've said before, the owners should be required to continue paying the contracts they signed) the league & 90% of the clubs would go bankrupt as no-one will want to own a club in the current system. Instead of money going to wages for overpaid journeymen, the clubs will be forced to diversify their income streams, build infrastructure they own, seek new ownership willing to invest, or get relegated and lose fans. While other clubs with better ownership will succeed.

On 31/08/2020 at 7:58 PM, mack said:

5 or 6 months away from the start of the season then.

From four to five months waiting

10 hours ago, Carns said:

Has been on the cards for a long time. I'd prefer a cut down league than a dead league. Got to pay the bills (including wages) and with a lot less money around there was always going to be big sacrifices.

The league will be predominantly a development/squaddie league for a while yet.

We'll most probably end up resigning Sotirio as our marquee striker.......:ninja:

Perth have confirmed Nabbout and Atkinson , they don't seem worried by the new salary cap meanwhile we will wait and be left to choose from the dregs.

If FC is getting BOBO back  maybe we could get Riera cheap, he will come free from retirement 

Interesting for the Bulls.. busy recruiting players for their first season without knowing what the revised salary cap will be for the upcoming season, what happens if they have exceeded the new cap ?

31 minutes ago, jockman said:

Interesting for the Bulls.. busy recruiting players for their first season without knowing what the revised salary cap will be for the upcoming season, what happens if they have exceeded the new cap ?

The new teams get more cap space in their first year or two from memory. Even still they look to be signing without considering the cap changes.

Rumours are Fornaroli wants out at Perth. TBH I can see ESFC sign him if Le Fondre goes. Bobo has signed somewhere already...

10 hours ago, jockman said:

They want exceed the salary cap ,because they have football managers not  dick heads running the club.

There seems to be a lack of communication from the top down regarding the start of next season. I know a handful of people involved within clubs and the FFA and all of them have said they haven’t heard anything about February, all the talk is still December. 

The lights are on but no ones home....

4 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

At the moment that is our squad photo (or at least ones being paid)

I was going to give this a laugh but it not really funny is it...?

Great facility & set up, all it needs is a team to utilize it and a competitive league to play in with loads of fans cheering their team on............................bloody covid (amongst other factors) has bandjacksed my sport enjoyment.

if i'm missing meaningful sport to enjoy live, spare a thought for those sports loving mad Melbournians they must be really pissed off :cry: