mack

WSW 18/19 & 19/20 Club Thread

4 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

to assume that the club is just renewing to take our money without a plan to restart the season is just wrong.

They have really done a poor job of communicating this if so. I understand they don't have specifics, but it really felt like a cash grab (particularly when it was also reported that they'd already put players and staff back on JobKeeper).

4 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I’m not so sure of that, apparently the clubs have penciled in a December start & that’s what all the players contract negotiations, CBA agreement & in turn membership renewal discussion.

Do I think December is way too optimistic? Sure but to assume that the club is just renewing to take our money without a plan to restart the season is just wrong.

Yeah, heard the same thing.  December is still a possibility given the CBA being settled...  Probably be later but clubs need to be prepared and get things sorted.

I probably have a different perspective to several of you.  I don't know what the comp will dish up next season - nor the Wanderers.  I hope (as always and it is the hope that kills you!) that we will rise again.  Regardless I need to be able to go to the football and watch a live team that I want to support.  Yes, I will complain about them when they play poorly and I will be ecstatic when they win - especially when they beat SFC(2x) in a poor season.  Regardless of anything else, they are my team and I want to go and watch them.  I may questions some things about the club but I do believe they all have good intentions, even if they don't always implement those good intentions well or the decisions don't come off.

3 hours ago, Carns said:

They have really done a poor job of communicating this if so. I understand they don't have specifics, but it really felt like a cash grab (particularly when it was also reported that they'd already put players and staff back on JobKeeper).

100%, there was an article the following day after our renewal email saying that we were one of the clubs that weren’t paying staff (it wasn’t true, just another one of the “scoops” that the twg have stuffed up recently).

Don’t hear a thing from the club about anything & all we are sent is an email telling us that we are about to renew when we don’t know a start date, salary cap to be slashed, majority of kids signed as our senior squad, a CBA wasn’t agreed, reportedly players weren’t being signed & they want us to front our membership dollars? I think they need a lesson in PR101 from @CaptainJess

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Regardless of anything else, they are my team and I want to go and watch them.  

This pretty much.

Season usually kicks of this weekend. Around now I would have already picked some away games, perhaps a few interstate and aligned those with  a family holiday by announcing to the wife 'we are going to such and such for a break this year as it lines up with a Wanderers game'. Thoughts of attending an interstate game a dream these days.

Would be looking forward to some pre game nosh on eat street..pre game was the best part of going to a game last season. It's game day and routine for me as much as the game itself, and spending quality time with the lad away from his ******* PS4. I get more than a grunt and some eye contact when we go to the football together lol

My last game was the battle of Kogarah that night. Jumping around on the hill like idiots lol. Longest I have gone in my life without a live game.

As shyte as we are and even though the club has lost connect with us fans I NEED to be back.  Having a start date would at least give focus and something to look forward to. Hate this limbo shyte :(

Plus WSF is always fun when the bedwetters come out after another shyte performance. Even miss that lol

Edited by Smoggy

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

This pretty much.

Season usually kicks of this weekend. Around now I would have already picked some away games, perhaps a few interstate and aligned those with  a family holiday by announcing to the wife 'we are going to such and such for a break this year as it lines up with a Wanderers game'. Thoughts of attending an interstate game a dream these days.

Would be looking forward to some pre game nosh on eat street..pre game was the best part of going to a game last season. It's game day and routine for me as much as the game itself, and spending quality time with the lad away from his ******* PS4. I get more than a grunt and some eye contact when we go to the football together lol

My last game was the battle of Kogarah that night. Jumping around on the hill like idiots lol. Longest I have gone in my life without a live game.

As shyte as we are and even though the club has lost connect with us fans I NEED to be back.  Having a start date would at least give focus and something to look forward to. Hate this limbo shyte :(

Plus WSF is always fun when the bedwetters come out after another shyte performance. Even miss that lol

Good post Smoggy!

So many seemingly diehard fans have disappeared over the years...but you're not allowed to...ever!

:grouphug::grouphug:

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

This pretty much.

That's pretty much how I feel.

Jnr Wanderboy and I have spent so many years since season 1 going to games and following the Wanderers around as much as possible. The three seasons at Olympic Park just kept getting worse and worse, yet we kept going despite the continued failure. To be fair, in the end, it was the kebabs at that place opposite Olympic Park station that was the major attraction. 

It is just so disappointing that we went from heroes to zeros so quickly, and have remained there for so long.

Unlike many others, and against my better judgement, I auto renewed. Once again, the two of us will be there again next year, because like you, we need a football team to follow and a fortnightly football fix to watch live. 

Yet, I really don't think we could both deal with another season of failure, and still be so financially devoted to the club. Auto renew will not be happening next year if I don't see improvement.

The reason being, I've done a few sums recently. I've worked out that I've spent WELL over $20000 supporting this team since it's inception. Not all went to the Wanderers. there was some airfares, petrol, accommodation etc....for away trips.

However, 3 grand finals, merchandise x heaps!!!!!, season tickets, memberships. Yet, still I spent it without question in the past.

Ultimately, what I'm saying is that if the club still want our money, they have to prove to us they are spending it wisely and give us something to want to invest in.

The past 4 seasons have been nothing short of embarrassing. I, and others, have been short changed.

I can accept that we will have poor seasons. What I don't accept is that we have so many consecutively with no end in sight.

And that's another great post too! You and WB Jnr aren't allowed to go anywhere either!

:grouphug::grouphug:

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Having a start date would at least give focus and something to look forward to

Interestingly enough, Bruce Djite was having a Q&A on Twitter tonight. The team is starting preseason training tomorrow, season to start December & grand final in June

1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

The reason being, I've done a few sums recently. I've worked out that I've spent WELL over $20000 supporting this team since it's inception. Not all went to the Wanderers. there was some airfares, petrol, accommodation etc....for away trips.

However, 3 grand finals, merchandise x heaps!!!!!, season tickets, memberships. Yet, still I spent it without question in the past.

You make a good point, I've probably shelled out just under half that since WSW came into formation

As crap as the team might get, I still think going to WSW away games is an amazing excuse for a quick trip. I think my fondest memories are from away trips actually, on a personal note most notably when the Cathedral (?) Hotel in Adelaide was turned into the real life Singles/Dating/Relationships Thread for those three hours.

If WSW play well: added bonus.

But really, it should be the other way around, which gets to your point. The primary reason for going to these games should be to support the team, not go for a quick holiday and then hope for the best with WSW. We lost that since the Brisbane and Adelaide GF away trips due to our craptacular clodhopping football

23 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

But really, it should be the other way around, which gets to your point. The primary reason for going to these games should be to support the team, not go for a quick holiday and then hope for the best with WSW. We lost that since the Brisbane and Adelaide GF away trips due to our craptacular clodhopping football

Can have both. 

I have seen so much more of Australia since WSW came in to existence, it has been an excuse to get around. 

1 hour ago, Unlimited said:

You make a good point, I've probably shelled out just under half that since WSW came into formation

As crap as the team might get, I still think going to WSW away games is an amazing excuse for a quick trip. I think my fondest memories are from away trips actually, on a personal note most notably when the Cathedral (?) Hotel in Adelaide was turned into the real life Singles/Dating/Relationships Thread for those three hours.

If WSW play well: added bonus.

True dat brah

12 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Can have both. 

I have seen so much more of Australia since WSW came in to existence, it has been an excuse to get around. 

Yep - I finally went to NZ after 47 yrs! Crap game but great time with my eldest and the dozen or so diehard WSW supporters at Eden Park. Plus great to see a bit of the spectacular NZ countryside:)

Till the last minute I wasn't sure if I will renew or not. I am happy with the way things are going?...NO... but I also remembered the first season the 3GF and the ACL trip to Japan.....no other team has given me that joy.....so we are all (*6) returning this season tbh it cannot be much worse than the last few seasons.

39 minutes ago, tardotz said:

Till the last minute I wasn't sure if I will renew or not. I am happy with the way things are going?...NO... but I also remembered the first season the 3GF and the ACL trip to Japan.....no other team has given me that joy.....so we are all (*6) returning this season tbh it cannot be much worse than the last few seasons.

At this stage I think it can. We can  strongly push for the wooden spoon. We were crap last season and our saving grace was mainly Duke and Lopar who are both gone. Also throw in Schwegler (Retired) and Muller (who knows) and Jurman (who was a high priority to keep), gone. What does that leave us with ? . Based on last season not much.

21 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

At this stage I think it can. We can  strongly push for the wooden spoon. We were crap last season and our saving grace was mainly Duke and Lopar who are both gone. Also throw in Schwegler (Retired) and Muller (who knows) and Jurman (who was a high priority to keep), gone. What does that leave us with ? . Based on last season not much.

Lopar gone? We just resigned him before season ended?

39 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

Questionable if I'd consider Jurman a high priority. He either lost a lot of his ability or just seemed to be disinterested for most of the season

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Westiesarebesties said:

Questionable if I'd consider Jurman a high priority. He either lost a lot of his ability or just seemed to be disinterested for most of the season

I definitely wouldn't but the club did. I've said this many times with Jurman gone I would try and get this guy. Alexandar Jovanovic

https://www.transfermarkt.com/aleksandar-jovanovic/profil/spieler/50377

Edited by WHACKO

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

You wanna bet :D

Says the voice of an experienced football follower.....:D

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

You wanna bet :D

I agree. It could get much worse.

It's up to the club to convince us otherwise and improve.

WSW's will always be my first football love, but they need to know that they won't always be guaranteed my cash.

Another failed year and they are down another $550 in season tickets, let alone + merchandise. It's their choice to pull their ******* finger out and not only take the competition seriously, but also us fans. I'm sick to death of the small talk regular promises we get via email promising everything and delivering sweet fa.

I'm not actually feeling good vibes yet.

On 08/10/2020 at 9:38 PM, Unlimited said:

God that was a good day :lol: Picked up @StringerBellend off a random park bench and the first thing he says to us is "Unlimited was on my bus!" He made it his mission to introduce us that afternoon.

I believe there's a photo somewhere of @Prydzopolis, @thefairy and myself bringing that thread to life. 

Even better was the night before. So many forumites rocked up to that pub and I've got some great videos of us going off. Think we scared the locals a bit that night :rofl:

So many of my favourite WSW memories are away trips or pre-match catch-ups at The Bav or Royal Oak. Even though the results may not have always gone our way, you still come away with positive memories. However, I can't say there's been many over the past two or three seasons. Going to games feels like a chore half the time but you do it to get out of the house and maybe have a nice dinner with friends beforehand. 

Used to buy ****-loads of merch but can't say I've bought anything apart from the black jersey a while ago. We auto-renewed, but I definitely considered not doing it for quite a while. I don't think we will ever stop supporting them as it's been such a huge part of our lives. But they need to get their **** together or otherwise I might not consider so hard next season. 

On 07/10/2020 at 9:24 PM, Prydzopolis said:

I think they need a lesson in PR101 from @CaptainJess

You're too kind Prydz :P Honestly, it's been really poor comms. I don't like using the JobKeeper excuse either, because I was in the same boat but still managed to put together a top-notch comms plan and strategy for my organisation working half my regular hours. We received a lot of praise for how we did things and the steps we took. From the very beginning, we communicated everything. TBH, we probably over-communicated a little at times but most people appreciated the transparency. We also put our members before money. We gave no-strings refunds and offered free rego for 2021 when no other sports were. And you know what, we had 98% of our members personally choose to let us keep their rego fees for the year. We will take a financial hit this year, but next year we will be back to normal and our members are super happy with how the situation ended up. 

We pivoted and had to come up with a solution that would work for everyone and the situation we were in. Other clubs have come up with unique solutions for their membership options which still provide income/revenue but don't alienate the fan-base at the same time. Would it have hurt WSW to collect a holding amount of say $50 x 17,000 and had all their members renew in a couple of months rather than the situation they have now with thousands being disenfranchised and potentially not renewing at all? They just needed to put in a little effort and maybe think outside the box. 

Here's a couple posts from reddit from someone who says they just left the club staff.

Half the club’s admin staff have left/cut ties with the club. Membership team has been cut by 80%, community department canned, while the corporate team and media team are over staffed. There are big problems at the club, I don’t have a lot of hope. There are some massive issues at the club. The culture, the head of football, the owners and even JT. Things were bad even before COVID, this has just been the nail in the coffin.

2 minutes ago, mack said:

Here's a couple posts from reddit from someone who says they just left the club staff.

Club's farked.

10 minutes ago, mack said:

Normally I'd say take comments from leavers with a grain of salt however we can see the rotten fruit of this culture without seeing the inside of it

Geez. Can things really get any worse?

I'm starting to regret my auto renewal now.

I know this is all heresy, but just look at that club in the east.

Re-signed nearly all of their players. Makes announcement. Not paying jobkeeper but actually paying players their full wages.

Coaching staff who won premiership remain, while our manager get's the bullet at short notice, and then we hear this from Mack's post. 

We are a ******* shambles. 

I am slowly on board the JT out camp because like this leadership is terrible

There is only so many times you can sack the coach or change the coach before you wonder if it’s higher up 

6 hours ago, Unlimited said:

I am slowly on board the JT out camp because like this leadership is terrible

There is only so many times you can sack the coach or change the coach before you wonder if it’s higher up 

Club went to the dogs the day the new owners took over.

I was going to say they seem to find mediocrity acceptable. We have been too shyte even for that lol They seem to find shyte acceptable.

Edited by Smoggy

11 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Club went to the dogs the day the new owners took over.

Yep.

I never understood why they decided that Lyall Gorman wasn't required once they took control. LG was, in my belief, the major factor for our early success, along with Popa, who LG probably targeted and signed anyway. He ran the club under the ownership of the FFA. And what a job he did!

The owners have a lot to answer for re our demise. It's basically been all downhill since then and it's not just Lederer who needs to take blame. There are other shareholders as well, like Mr Pirtek (Duncan) and the Chinese businessman. No doubt Lederer pulls the strings on these puppets, but surely they can't be happy with the direction of the club.