Sydney FC: Season 2018/19

mack

Also, why did Arnie win coach of the year? He did all his heavy lifting last year. This year all he did was not rotate his squad enough so that when they hit the ACL they faltered and couldn't get over the line in the finals. I know that smurfs finished well ahead, but if going from last to the GF isn't gonna get you the gong, not sure what is.

10 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Also, why did Arnie win coach of the year? He did all his heavy lifting last year. This year all he did was not rotate his squad enough so that when they hit the ACL they faltered and couldn't get over the line in the finals. I know that smurfs finished well ahead, but if going from last to the GF isn't gonna get you the gong, not sure what is.

Absolute disgrace. Can only be because FFA have lined up the National job for the SOB

10 hours ago, btron3000 said:

The media and the people at the FFA seem to forget that he was sacked as National coach before because of crap results like losing to Kuwait and Oman. Unfortunately for the National team ( who the League needs to have success ) he will turn out to be crap again. International referees will not tolerate his tactics as ESFC found out during the ACL. Not looking forward to his tenure.

20 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Coach of the year should have gone to Merrick. He got a team that last year got the wooden spoon to this year's GG. Arnie took last year best team ever to not making it out of the ACL group stage or GF.

The promotion of assistants is always met with the same response: fans of the team that did it say it’s great that they are a club that promotes from within. Fans of other teams laugh at their lack of ambition.

Only time will tell which one this ends up looking more like, but I’m gonna plonk for the second one. 

He’s in a tricky situation. Arnie’s got by for two years without setting up young blokes for the future, and his squad is on the wane. 

If they brought in a big gun to follow Arnie then that bloke could point to the faltering squad if things go bad and say he was rebuilding. Corica won’t get away with that.

He’ll have to hope that the recruitment has been a product of the club and not Arnie’s own overseas connections otherwise he’s totally screwed.

The experience in the Smurf squad mattered a great deal this season, but that routine goes hand in hand with age. It caught up with them in the VIC semi in ET. Some of their key players were stuffed, and there's more to come next season. 

Next season Brosque and Carney will be 35, Wilkinson 34, Bobo and Ninkovic 33, Adrian Pole 32. They will miss Buijs, and I dare say they will miss Simon. The ACL will hurt them physically at least as much as it did this year. Buhagiar is a step in the right direction, but they will need more fresh blood. They will miss Arnie, and they won't be very happy at SCG. If Brilliante makes the cut for the WC then I doubt he'll be back next season.

I predict clouds over the Smurf blue skies. It'll be a tough gig for Corica.