Sydney FC: Season 2018/19

mack

1 hour ago, Unlimited said:

Let's hope their squad stays abysmal so we can defeat them in a world record 31-0 rout in the next Sydney Derby

Riera to score 13 goals - a quadruple hat-trick, plus one!

I’ll see who they sign (and for that matter who we sign) before getting too excited 

15 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Milligan (just got axed in Saudi Arabia) and Halloran could be headed to ESFC

Surely Victory is more likely considering Williams just left? He did just play CB at a World Cup.

27 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Apparently chasing Torres accirding to Fox

Few places saying it FFA to use marquee fund and either Victory or sydney to pay rest for him

whats the point in a salary cap to create an even field if you then use kids rego fees to pay half the wages of a former international and then give him to one either the champion or he premier of last season. 

Be horrible, there will be more kopites in full replica kit (shin pads and all) at the sydney games than smurfs. I’d hate for us to get Torres

54 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

whats the point in a salary cap to create an even field if you then use kids rego fees to pay half the wages of a former international and then give him to one either the champion or he premier of last season. 

All this proves (if true) is that the FFA have no idea how to run the game, let alone promote it.

This is their (short sighted) idea of promotion, yet all it is is a quick fix in their eyes to grab a few Eurosnobs as short term fans and a person they can use to promote in their advertising campaigns.

How, in god's name on earth, can they think this is responsible use of already struggling FFA funds? And how do they decide which big name club these players go to? How is it fair that financially strong clubs get a hand up with FFA funds at the expense of clubs like the Mariners and Jets and Phoenix. 

The whole idea of this just stinks.

13 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

All this proves (if true) is that the FFA have no idea how to run the game, let alone promote it.

This is their (short sighted) idea of promotion, yet all it is is a quick fix in their eyes to grab a few Eurosnobs as short term fans and a person they can use to promote in their advertising campaigns.

How, in god's name on earth, can they think this is responsible use of already struggling FFA funds? And how do they decide which big name club these players go to? How is it fair that financially strong clubs get a hand up with FFA funds at the expense of clubs like the Mariners and Jets and Phoenix. 

The whole idea of this just stinks.

If you are only going to a game, dressed head to toe in the kit of team that has nothing to do with the game or a league (this team being on the other side of the planet in a city you couldn’t find on a map) to see one player then you are hardly likely to hang around afterwards.

The latest take I heard was “Adrian was promised big pay up front, meager wage next season & marquee season 3”

What was he going to do this year? Play on minimum wage? ******* LOL :rofl: 

Got to love the narrative out of Sydney FC, all this feel good stuff about Adrian leaving but the real story is the guy is fuming. He was promised marquee wages, fuming at promises broken. Sydney FC get a windfall from the debacle.

16 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

The latest take I heard was “Adrian was promised big pay up front, meager wage next season & marquee season 3”

Got to love the narrative out of Sydney FC, all this feel good stuff about Adrian leaving but the real story is the guy is fuming. He was promised marquee wages, fuming at promises broken. Sydney FC get a windfall from the debacle.

Still come out of it better than we have with cejudo

4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Few places saying it FFA to use marquee fund and either Victory or sydney to pay rest for him

Be horrible, there will be more kopites in full replica kit (shin pads and all) at the sydney games than smurfs. I’d hate for us to get Torres

Oh Stringer. I'd be devastated if they swooped in and got him. It would be like him moving to Real.

4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

The point is helping their favourite teams. Sydney FC & Melbourne City.

3 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I’ve said this before but I’m surprised more clubs aren’t trying this tactic.

Say a club wants 4 players who are asking a million dollars a year, but they only have 2 marquee spots. They pay two of them 2 million each as marquess for the first season and minimum wage for the second under the cap. They pay the other two minimum wage under the cap for the first season and 2 million each as marquees in the second.

The risk is that you have to commit to 4 players (or 2 if you’re doing it for one marquee spot) for 2 years. If any of them don’t work out, decide to leave or get bought by an overseas club the whole thing can fall over. I suspect that’s what may have happened in smurf village.

Edited by Davo
11 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Still come out of it better than we have with cejudo

That only comes down to the fact the Adrian was a class above Cejudo. Don’t get me wrong, Cejudo was class & we didn’t use him right but Adrian was on another level.

12 hours ago, mack said:

The irony is they still sold their marquee and if they weren't dicks about it could have kept him.

The issue was they had already secured Ninko & Bobo on marquee contracts. Adrian knew 1 of those two spots were for him & knew he was ****ed over. Should have given it to him, put Ninko on low wage but back end it with “coaching position”.

8 hours ago, Davo said:

I’ve said this before but I’m surprised more clubs aren’t trying this tactic.

Say a club wants 4 players who are asking a million dollars a year, but they only have 2 marquee spots. They pay two of them 2 million each as marquess for the first season and minimum wage for the second under the cap. They pay the other two minimum wage under the cap for the first season and 2 million each as marquees in the second.

The risk is that you have to commit to 4 players (or 2 if you’re doing it for one marquee spot) for 2 years. If any of them don’t work out, decide to leave or get bought by an overseas club the whole thing can fall over. I suspect that’s what may have happened in smurf village.

You make a very good point Davo but this will never happen again at their club. Any agent who is negotiating with them will know what happened with Adrian & won’t fall for it again.

They'll probably recruit differently too, interesting to see whether they go for a squad or just quality first XI.

12 hours ago, ZachMercer said:

Oh Stringer. I'd be devastated if they swooped in and got him. It would be like him moving to Real.

I don’t want him going there, and in a football level would be great if he we got him, oriol and him upfront!

But I can’t be doing with all the plastic Kopites that would come with it, you would have Liverpool shirts everywhere at spotless and coachloads of them for the derby. Was bad enough with Louis Garcia at the mariners.

I don't mind if Torres comes as he is also a champions league winner with Chelsea despite the livo link years ago but the FFA shouldn't contribution any $$$$ and smurfs must pay the whole amount of salary. The a league needs a Torres right now as it's going backwards without big names putting bums on seats and ratings, but the FFA should use that marquee money in other areas.

1 minute ago, LeeMarvin said:

Shocking and completed unexpected development...

On 07/07/2018 at 5:20 PM, Davo said:

Also Fox Sports say that about every name player leaving the big euro leagues, usually with nothing to substantiate it.

Remember when Iniesta was coming to the A-League?