Markus Babbel Is New Wanderers Coach

Western Sydney Wanderers have appointed Markus Babbel, confirming the new manager at a press conference this afternoon.

The former FC Luzern club manager will replace Josep Gombau, who was sacked by the club after finishing 7th in the 2017/18 A-League regular season.

Markus Babbel, 45, is one of the most high profile coaching appointments in the history of the A-League, having played 51 times for the German National team, with a glittering playing career that included winning the Bundesliga and UEFA Cup with Bayern Munich, the FA Cup & UEFA Cup again with Liverpool and the 1996 European Championship with Germany.

His coaching career took him to Stuttgart and then to Hertha Berlin, where he won the German 2nd Division title in 2010/11. His most recently appointment was at FC Luzern in Switzerland where he stablised the club back into the top half of the competition before leaving due mid-season after he decided to not renew his contract.

Babbel spoke at the press conference about wanting a new challenge at the club, "It wasn't a difficult decision to come to the Wanderers, I am looking forward to the challenge". Tomi Juric was mentioned as having sold the club to Babbel, comparing Wanderers supported with the much quieter people of Switzerland. Babell will return to Europe for a brief holiday with his family, before returning to take on the role heading into the pre-season.

View full article

3 minutes ago, FCB said:

I remember him playing for Bayern and winning the Euro in 1996 with Germany. He was part of the side that knocked Cryff's Braca out of the UEFA semi in 1995. 

He's more accomplished as both coach and players as Kurz. Top knotch coach, top knotch guy. Babbel in the HAL is something else. I am very very happy. 

Unfortunately he won't know what hit him once he experiences Gillet et al, but he is bound to give them an ear full. 

I remember watching him play back in my younger days and can't believe he's now going to coach MY team. Not sure about his coaching credentials and seems good on paper. Hopefully he's as great a coach as he was a player.

Good on Tomi Juric to have a whisper in his ear :xnod:

unlike some here i just didnt instantly wet myself with excitement when i heard the words german coach i cared about his coaching record and not his nationality lucky its an amazing coaching record

personality wise do we know what he is like? feels like popa especially with the sex headline sounds like he likes control which imo is mostly a great thing

Excellent signing kudos to JT, Lederer and co for giving us a great football coach who’s excelled at the top level. 

This is the best signing since Ono in terms of profile and pedigree. 

Cant wait to see how he goes in this league. 

What a way to start my Saturday evening! I’m getting tanked...!!!!

Hopefully more direct football, rather than 200 passes with no end product like a shot on goal.

Now a decent CAM, a bulldog in the mid and a quality CB, and hopefully we will have a better season than the last.

Congrats to the Club board for the appointment. A nice statement to the other A Leaugue clubs, that the Wanderers are back.