Markus Babbel Is New Wanderers Coach

8 minutes ago, mack said:

Minor early positive is we're not the team who haven't even got a point, and none of the teams won both games in the first two rounds.

And we have played 2 of the 3 favourites away

1 hour ago, Davo said:

So if we're not "crap" but finish 7th he's golden?

You’d prefer the last guy? Who knows maybe he was hard done by? So far Babbel seems to be making most of what he has, let’s see what happens 

Edited by StringerBellend
4 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

You’d prefer the last guy? Who knows maybe he was hard done by? So far Babbel seems to be making most of what he has, let’s see what happens 

The next game will be interesting against the Nix. They are playing 5 at the back like Perth with Rudan trying to have his team be a small target. And they beat Melb Vic 3-1 in pre-season. 

In a few weeks Ziegler will be back. Plus Grozos and Tokich should be back as well.

11 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Yep. Have to give him time. I just wish he could get the team to stop giving away stupid defensive error goals,the trial games were an indication of what we are seeing in the comp. They're killing us. We can play football and compete but the errors and lack of finishing........has to change.....soon, or we will be also rans again.

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Yep. Have to give him time. I just wish he could get the team to stop giving away stupid defensive error goals,the trial games were an indication of what we are seeing in the comp. They're killing us. We can play football and compete but the errors and lack of finishing........has to change.....soon, or we will be also rans again.

Of the 3 goals we have conceded 2 are from stupid errors trying to play out when we could have cleared it.

1 hour ago, MistahCampoy said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/heart-on-his-sleeve-babbel-aims-for-a-wanderers-title-then-a-tattoo-20181026-p50c7j.html

He is a legend!

Hoping he brings us success and stays with us for a long time, maybe a second ACL once we win the toilet plate next season (i dont think that is asking for too much lol)

****. A Bossi article that isn't anti-WSW. Even he must be pissed off with the VAR decision.

20 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

Curious question. Did Babbel and Kurtz ever cross paths in their playing careers?

Yes. And as coaches too, I believe.

Kurz played in BL1 for the majority of his career. Babbel was in BL1 for all but 5 years of his 18 year career.

Kurz also mentioned in an interview that they coached against one another previously (not sure if BL1 or BL2).

5 hours ago, scarcev said:

We were terrible on the field under Gombau but the bigger problem was players had no faith in what he was trying to do and didn't want to play for him.

and if he could have removed all those players and replaced him with ones who actually wanted to play under him, like if they actually gave him an off season then maybe things would have been better

10 minutes ago, Swarth said:

and if he could have removed all those players and replaced him with ones who actually wanted to play under him, like if they actually gave him an off season then maybe things would have been better

While I agree with what you are saying....it will never happen......the club has moved on. Babbel is the manager...Gombau is gone....so is Popovic.....I support the Wanderers regardless of who is in charge. If Babbel fails....( and tbh I don't think he will )....he will be judged accordingly.....as he should be.

1 hour ago, Swarth said:

Maybe but we’ll never know.

But club had to make a call based on what they could see.

- He had shown absolutely nothing to say that he was the best person for the job, we were just as bad in his last game as his first (in face worse) 

- he had since round 6 to show some level of improvement 

- it’s a myth to say he or any other manager would get a whole new squad the next season. Babbel still has to work with Popa signings, and indeed Gombau ones for that matter 

- he didn’t just piss off a couple of members of squad he pissed off the whole squad 

- he wasn’t bringing youth thru and reportedly showed no interest in them 

basically he was a disaster and the club had to act, they did, and they got in a manager who has coached a level far higher than any other a league manager before him

I don’t get he gombau love in, its all based on a idealistic dream that we will play beautiful winning football 

The give him his own squad arguement is ok, except footy isn’t perfect nobody gets entirely their own squad they need to be able to work with what they have and add and change over time

7 hours ago, scarcev said:

We were terrible on the field under Gombau but the bigger problem was players had no faith in what he was trying to do and didn't want to play for him.

Yep and it’s his job as a manager to get their faith and make theme believe, it’s what he’s paying to do to lead them. He couldn’t do it.

Sorry to go all managerial motivational speaker but, if you can’t get your team to “buy in” to your vision and join you, then your screwed

1 hour ago, Swarth said:

That still doesn't explain his incredibly stupid, naive or plain ignorant positional selections in the Syd Derby - playing people out of position, playing all the kids...  That was plain embarrassing and shameful.  He looked completely incompetent and we looked like we had no idea.

If a manager can't get that right they don't instill confidence in me.  I did not see passion in Gombau the whole season - it was all philosophy that will take time???!!! 

So far Babbel has been blunt and he has had to use Gombau's choice players and get the most out of them and Popa's - he is realistic and at least pushing them.  We didn't lose 5-0 on Saturday and we didn't look completely like an NPL 2 team as we did last year under Gumby.  If the VAR had intervened last year in the same manner as this year, we could have been down about 10-0.  So for me, signs are much more positive.  I like the passion from players and coach - they are all in this together and it looks like it rather than having players trying to second guess what the manager is doing, thinking and going to decide - and having players, coaches and whoever else walking out (whether we want to think good riddance or not).

Also on “give gombau his own players” I’m happy to wait and see how they go and support them, but I’m far from convinced by his signings, individually they are all ok, but it has left us with squad that is heavy in “ok” a league players and light in quality 

Edited by StringerBellend
1 hour ago, Swarth said:

It's all hypothetical now anyway.....I will concede that if Gumby was still here and we had lost another derby 0-2,,,,,or even a FFA Cup semi 0-3 or trial games 0-3.& 0-4 there would be forumites and members who would be crowdfunding assassins right at this minute to assist in his departure......lol..........:ninja: