Markus Babbel Is New Wanderers Coach

i just want to clear some things up on what i think on coaches

Popa>Babbel>Gombau

i think Babbel will be better than Popa eventually, Popa had a lot of terrible signings but still great coach, some of the terrible signings were not his fault(overpayed italian guy for example) but he did have some great signings, gombau lost the team and i dont think if he had 3 years he would have been as good as Popa or Babbel but my issue is i still think he should have had one full preseason, if we have a 3 year contract and dont even let them have one season then that is a complete waste of time and puts the club in situations like we are currently in.

Babbel has made the team look better, our passing especially is better but he has had a full pre season to do that but i think the few signings he have made have been positive, i love how he is playing youth even though mojak had a tonne of misses i think things look positive, roly has looked a lot better under Babbel, our marquee looks terrible so far but he was amazing last season.

then again Gombau did get rid of Jumpei

so Gombau>Popa>Babbel(not serious but still happy he got rid of Jumpei)

He needed to bring in a CB in Jan with Cornthwaite gone and Aspro long term injured. But yes he did well in Jan, fixed the number 10 issue we had from from start of year and brought in a winger who could score. All the more frustrating that we were such a shambles at the end of the year.

Kamau, Fitzgerald, Tongyik, ODoherty are all his.. 

To be fair Kamau and O’Doherty look good so far, and Tongyik was looking better pre injury 

Someone else getting in on the “Mentality”

<insert team here> have made a habit of conceding goals late into the match which is costing them points. “We are conceding late goals because we are trying to score goals. This can happen and I don’t think this as a problem. We have the winning mentality from the very beginning. We may not win the matches but at least we have a winning mentality. We are not a team that is happy with a draw. We try to create chances and win the games.”, Guess Who? 

Might not win games but at least they create chances

Thats not Mentality it’s just Mental

Edited by StringerBellend
17 hours ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

third-last? pfft. more like 7th, and only one place out of a finals spot

17 hours ago, mack said:

We're 8th not 7th.

15 hours ago, sydneycroatia58 said:

4pts off 2nd and only 3 pts off 3rd. The A-League table is so easy to manipulate to fit whatever point of view you want. We are as close to Victory in 2nd as Victory are to Perth in 1st.

So in summary , were definitely a top 10 team.

3 teams over the hill and far away - Victory, Smurfs and Glory

2 teams a busted flush already - Mariners and the Nix

5 teams all much of a muchness. Any of these could finish 4th or miss out on the 6. On their day all can beat each other. Where these team finish will probably depend on how many points they can take off the top 3.

9 hours ago, Davo said:

For all his faults Gombau actually did alright in the transfer market. All he got with us was a January window but managed to ship out Jumpei and Melling and bring in Ikonomidis and Carrusca. 

pretty much this is why i wanted to keep him on for one more year because the majority of signings he made were good ones, he was great at scouting players......just didnt work well with the coaching part :P

2 hours ago, Swarth said:

pretty much this is why i wanted to keep him on for one more year because the majority of signings he made were good ones, he was great at scouting players......just didnt work well with the coaching part :P

Was he really great at scouting players. Ikon was great, signing a slightly past it Carrusca who he had worked with at Adelaide was hardly looking far afield 

34 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Who said Gombau brought Ikon in? Maybe the deal was in the works before Popa left?

Now Ikon is working with Popa... :ninja:

"Ikonomidis has revealed that it was a phone call from Gombau that convinced the winger to move across to Western Sydney with Gombau noting that he was the perfect fit for the Red & Black after the departure of attacker Jumpei."

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/gombau-ikonomidis-and-mariners

1 hour ago, FCB said:

"Ikonomidis has revealed that it was a phone call from Gombau that convinced the winger to move across to Western Sydney with Gombau noting that he was the perfect fit for the Red & Black after the departure of attacker Jumpei."

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/gombau-ikonomidis-and-mariners

Jumpei, a name I want to forget.

Mack can we ban that name from the forum?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/mark-bosnich-says-the-wanderers-are-losing-their-way-in-terms-of-their-identity/news-story/a2d228136dba28cb4b9184ad63cd7e2b

"A small batch of Western Syndey fans have even called for Babbel to get the sack, but Bosnich says the issue lies with the players, not the coaching staff."

I would like to know where he gets his info from lol as its definitely not from here

Edited by MistahCampoy
38 minutes ago, mack said:

Gombie won his 8th game (2-1 vs Melbourne City), 9th (2-0 vs Roar) and drew the 10th and 11th so I suspect Babbel will probably be behind for quite a while.

Yep. Until Ziggy gets his Aussie passport and gets Jan Kirchoff into DM.

During the Asian Cup we lose Risdon, so Elrich to right-back. Melbourne Victory might lose Deng.