Markus Babbel Is New Wanderers Coach

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Very much 

Interesting view on Roly

Why Roly moved to the wing:“Because Roly is sloppy”.

Bang. Good on you. I like he said it and also that he commented on Roly needing to see this in the papers, so he’s thought about it and decided to call him out. Put pressure on him, piss him off, whatever it takes to fire him up. There’s been a slight improvement already, but it’s gonna be tough knocking a lifetime of habits out of the bloke.

58 minutes ago, mack said:

Do you think he could get through an interview without talking about mentality?

I think he's been having a coffee or two with EmMac........lol

Tbh we have been weak in that are for the past two seasons......I haven't seen anything yet that suggests thngs will change in a hurry. We will get a better feel of things after next weekend's first round.

Edited by sonar
8 minutes ago, sonar said:

I think he's been having a coffee or two with EmMac........lol

Tbh we have been weak in that are for the past two seasons......I haven't seen anything yet that suggests thngs will change in a hurry. We will get a better feel of things after next weekend's first round.

Since Topor-Stanley left?

We've replaced players but we haven't replaced the captain. 

8 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Since Topor-Stanley left?

We've replaced players but we haven't replaced the captain. 

I agree to an extent but also the way the A league is structured is such that there is a lot of recyling of players through the teams. Too easy to get a gig somewhere else.

There's not a lot of pressure for players to perform. Babbel saying Roly is sloppy, which is correct, but he was the same last season.  Babbel saying Roly's aim is to play in Europe, no European side will pick him up the way he is at the minute as there are way too many players better than him. He ( and other A league players ) know they can still get a gig elswhere. Expansion will not help but prom and relegation would.

That was an excellent interview, and I am enjoying the honesty from Babbel (it makes a nice change from people like Popa). It's refreshing.

But I like this team very much, they have great character. If we do what we can, then it will be difficult to beat us. If we don’t, then as shown in pre-season, we will lose games. In this league, there is not one team like PSG, Bayern Munich, Barcelona - it is very close, so the chance is there. It is up to us - and our boys have talent. But if we have key players injured, then we could be in trouble, because the squad doesn’t have a lot of depth. That’s why we have to bring the young players to the point where they are ready to perform. If two players are the same level, then the young one will play - but they have to be ready, mentally and physically. If we are not ready to fight for ninety minutes, then we will have the same season as last year.

The highlighted bit I agree with completely. Why give the time to another journeyman when we can be blooding the next gen (providing they're good enough to step up).

-------

Can others confirm that the last question re: the derby, Babbel's answer was cut off? I can't see it.

5 hours ago, sonar said:

I agree to an extent but also the way the A league is structured is such that there is a lot of recyling of players through the teams. Too easy to get a gig somewhere else.

There's not a lot of pressure for players to perform. Babbel saying Roly is sloppy, which is correct, but he was the same last season.  Babbel saying Roly's aim is to play in Europe, no European side will pick him up the way he is at the minute as there are way too many players better than him. He ( and other A league players ) know they can still get a gig elswhere. Expansion will not help but prom and relegation would.

My point was meant to be that since NTS left we haven't had the on field leader to reinforce the mental toughness and determination required to succeed.

3 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

My point was meant to be that since NTS left we haven't had the on field leader to reinforce the mental toughness and determination required to succeed.

Cornthwaite was getting there before the Gumby crap. But the whole team was shellshocked with Popa leaving before the season started.

Yes we need an on field captain who shows some fighting spirit. For me Hamill is the bridge to next season. I reckon Ziegler will be the man but needs a season to settle as well as overcome the knee injury. He also has a 3 year contract and he has the 'mentality'

I'm glad our Coach had the gonads to say in print what a lot of my mates and I have been saying. Roly is not the only player in our team that's "sloppy" but I'm glad he called him out, Babbel has in effect put the team on notice. The young ones and our senior squad members have to realise possession should be valued and unforced pass mistakes lead to goals, also our choices and options under pressure have been u7's quality. Babbel did state he had only bought 2 players to the squad and I truly hope a few will be missing after the next transfer window and he can bring more of the players he wants. I'll  be a real bitch in saying this but if Babbel thinks Roly is sloppy then Sotirio has some real self and soul searching to do and methinks he will be the first one to be gently moved on.

9 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I got what you were saying but it takes more than just one player. It's a collective thing.It has to be everyone not just the captain

My point was that if you get players who are comfortable with being below par because they can get a gig elsewhere than you get what has transpired over the last two seasons at WSW. The A league player merry go round. It is not good for the game here. If the new manager can change that here at WSW, all well and good. I hope he does. 

Babbel is

• pragmatic ("I came here to work with what I have")
  • cautiously optimistic ("If we do what we can, then it will be difficult to beat us. If we don’t then we will lose games. [...] It is up to us."
  • realistic ("if we have key players injured, then we could be in trouble")
  • determined to promote the WSW youth works ("if half your team is under 22, then for me that is a lot. But we welcome it - it is our future, we have to work with them")
  • putting the established players on notice, and giving the youngsters hope ("If two players are the same level, then the young one will play")
  • asking us to put the pre-season results in perspective ("When you look at those games, you have to look at what we did in the build-up to those matches. We were training very hard.")
  • ambitious ("Now we have to make sure the club has success")
  • motivated ("If everything was perfect I wouldn’t be here - so this is the reason")
  • brutally honest ("Roly is sloppy - he is a sloppy player")

The last statement is quite telling. The post game press conferences promise to be very interesting. Reading between the lines won't be necessary.  That one can actually understand what he is saying is an added bonus.

41 minutes ago, FCB said:

Babbel is

• pragmatic ("I came here to work with what I have")
  • cautiously optimistic ("If we do what we can, then it will be difficult to beat us. If we don’t then we will lose games. [...] It is up to us."
  • realistic ("if we have key players injured, then we could be in trouble")
  • determined to promote the WSW youth works ("if half your team is under 22, then for me that is a lot. But we welcome it - it is our future, we have to work with them")
  • putting the established players on notice, and giving the youngsters hope ("If two players are the same level, then the young one will play")
  • asking us to put the pre-season results in perspective ("When you look at those games, you have to look at what we did in the build-up to those matches. We were training very hard.")
  • ambitious ("Now we have to make sure the club has success")
  • motivated ("If everything was perfect I wouldn’t be here - so this is the reason")
  • brutally honest ("Roly is sloppy - he is a sloppy player")

The last statement is quite telling. The post game press conferences promise to be very interesting. Reading between the lines won't be necessary.  That one can actually understand what he is saying is an added bonus.

It's refreshing to see any Manager tell it how it is. 

Babbel interview in Swiss daily newspaper Blick

https://www.blick.ch/sport/fussball/international/ex-fcl-coach-babbel-redet-klartext-bolt-kann-ich-nicht-ernst-nehmen-id8990262.html

Summary of the important bits: feels very lucky to be in Sydney; his daughter is now three years old so the timing was right to take the job in Australia; had she been at school it would have been more difficult; is unsure about the standard of the game/league; his wife was watching the cup derby and thought it was better than Switzerland

"My job is also to drill young players and help them to make the jump into the senior team - a great challenge." 

Infrastructure "isn't very good yet [...] but that'll change next year"

About Usain Bolt: A sensational PR stunt that he can't take serious. "I've seen him play. It won't be enough in 100 years. As player I would feel taken for a ride." (Also: on Wednesday Bolt rejected an offer by Maltese giants La Valletta).

On 18/10/2018 at 2:37 PM, mack said:

He is not a native English speaker. If you replace "mentality" with "mindset/attitude" then the next three years might become more bearable for you.

On 18/10/2018 at 2:37 PM, mack said:

On 20/10/2018 at 9:08 AM, FCB said:

To be fair, He is not a native English speaker. If you replace "mentality" with "mindset/attitude" then the next three years might become more bearable for you.

Fixed

Markus Babbel is a true champion. For years Arnie tried to get himself red carded in the HAL - and failed miserably. No insult, no attempt of intimidation was sufficient. He just could not get the job done. 

MB, however, has only been in the league for five minutes, and bam, off to the stands he is! He didn't even have to insult anyone. Body language was all that was needed. How about that for efficiency? Top effort.

Some good signs last night, the team put in a huge effort in second half and had Smurf’s on back foot on their ground. He’s doing alright, hopefully we can pick up enough points to stay in touch, bring a player or two in Jan and see how we go.