Markus Babbel Is New Wanderers Coach

3 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/wanderers-name-ex-german-international-babbel-as-boss-to-lead-rebuild-20180519-p4zgav.html

"One of the biggest points why I came here to Sydney is because Tomi Juric was saying the crowds are totally crazy," Babbel said in Sydney on Saturday. "Switzerland was a good time there but the supporters are very quiet and not so many in the stadium."

Someone better tell him to wait a year...

Actually, this article is full of interesting quotes:

• He also coached Hertha to Bundesliga promotion and qualified Stuttgart for Champions League football.

Why do people keep saying this when he got them to second in the group, qualifying for knockout stage? Surely that's the better accomplishment? Or just write both - he got them there and got out the group.

• "First I have to meet the players to see what is the strengths of the team," Babbel said. "Of course I like to have the ball but you need the players for this. If not, we have other tactics. We have enough time to find out what is the best system and style of play."

Music to a few people around here! haha

• "The vision here is to have big success,"

Yep, he's German all right.

• Babbel will complete a holiday with his family and return for pre-season.

This is the only thing that concerns me.  Where's the drive? Get over here and get going mate! He's got a great CV for A-league but I want him to really ******* want it.  I'm middle-aged, I know the difference between being really driven, and working hard but not really giving a ****. When you're really driven, as soon as the contract is signed you're into it. I want him itching to get going!

4 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

• He also coached Hertha to Bundesliga promotion and qualified Stuttgart for Champions League football.

Why do people keep saying this when he got them to second in the group, qualifying for knockout stage? Surely that's the better accomplishment? Or just write both - he got them there and got out the group.

• "First I have to meet the players to see what is the strengths of the team," Babbel said. "Of course I like to have the ball but you need the players for this. If not, we have other tactics. We have enough time to find out what is the best system and style of play."

This is the only thing that concerns me.  Where's the drive? Get over here and get going mate! He's got a great CV for A-league but I want him to really ******* want it.  I'm middle-aged, I know the difference between being really driven, and working hard but not really giving a ****. When you're really driven, as soon as the contract is signed you're into it. I want him itching to get going!

Patience my dear btron. Do you really think he will be on holiday. I think a little bit of player follow up in Europe will be on the agenda. Long A-League preseason, end of European season, free agents on the market, I think our new Cheif Commander has a little bit of work on his working family holiday. I am just so happy we have a big name coach that will attract a better standard of player.

What will be interesting, who he will cut from our current squad.

41 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

He is human let him finish his holidays then watch him going.

Welcome kutsche

Looks like an amazing signing and hopefully doesn't get crap if it takes some time to rebuild and implement his style and realize that a-league isn't a technical game but more grunt work and salary capped with limited technically skilled players.

Bonus is he speaks English and doesn't need to use babbel to translate Facebook profanity.

1 hour ago, JackDoff said:

Yeah , he doesn't Babbel on like some....

Everyone seems happy with the new coach signing, so to make him feel at home are we going to rename the Parra River after him....?, .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta42xU2UXLA

Edited by sonar
32 minutes ago, sonar said:

Everyone seems happy with the new coach signing, so to make him feel at home are we going to rename the Parra River after him....?, .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta42xU2UXLA

Or we could name a tower after him.... the tower of Babbel

8 hours ago, blurbel said:

I remember watching him play back in my younger days and can't believe he's now going to coach MY team. Not sure about his coaching credentials and seems good on paper. Hopefully he's as great a coach as he was a player.

Good on Tomi Juric to have a whisper in his ear :xnod:

Regarding his coaching credentials: he is only 45, but he already had the club career that Popa, Ange and Arnie are/were dreaming of. He is a pro. WSW are in good hands. 

8 hours ago, FCB said:

During the presser, JT mentioned that it was Paul Agostino https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Agostino who got the two parties together for initial talks. JT also said that Agostino will be doing more work for wsw. That's interesting, as Agostino is living in Munich, and running a football school.

I still can't believe that the club managed to pull this off, and keep it quiet as long as they did. 

Ooh I like Agostino. Always think we would have qualified for 02 World Cup if Farina had used him more, and he thought it too. He’s got a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, especially to Aussie football. If he ends up sending us a pipeline of players following the coach, woohoo!

If he does what Kurz did, double sessions for training so the team will not run out of puff at 75 minutes like last season.

Plus from press conference he appears tobe a pragmatist. We will see what the team is like.  Hopefully, he can get the team to play with and without the ball as well as transition from defence to attack like the 15/16 season.

Edited by Paul01
Added info