Markus Babbel Is New Wanderers Coach

8 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Ex Liverpool player from when the won stuff, that will get a few eurosnobs jumping on the bandwagon, hopefully they leave their shitty YNWA banners at home 

A few extra Eurosnobs will help pad out the empty seats at Soulless, even if only for a few weeks.

So sad that we have to stay at that craphole for another season. Any rectangular ground with even basic seating would have more atmosphere than that dead dump.

18 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Apparently preferred formation is 4-4-2

Riera and Santalab together.

With Lederer mentioning the academy, i would suspect that some youth players will start getting a go.

Club is putting in a lot of money in the academy and facilities and Gombau absolutely failed in that Dept. Didn't even go to any npl/nyl games or have any youth training with senior team.

Bringing in youth is imperative to the position.

And of course Babbel is going to finish his holidays. Every footballer in the world is on holidays atm. Half our squad isn't even in the country atm lol

http://bundesligafanatic.com/20110517/what-to-expect-next-season-hertha-berlin-–-a-tactical-examination-and-season-review/

Interesting article describing Babbel's tactics the year he won promotion to the Bundesliga with Hertha.

Matchday 11 to 15 was Hertha’s poorest run of the season. In that run, Hertha lost 4 of their 5 matches in the league and were eliminated from the DFB Pokal by 3rd league outfit Koblenz in the second round. Many managers would have rested on their laurels and hoped for a rebound down the line, especially after such a blistering start, but Babbel took a bold step and made some crucial changes.

Looks like he's very adaptable, breath of fresh air after Popa and Gumby's refusal to make changes when needed?

7 minutes ago, Matto97 said:

http://bundesligafanatic.com/20110517/what-to-expect-next-season-hertha-berlin-–-a-tactical-examination-and-season-review/

Interesting article describing Babbel's tactics the year he won promotion to the Bundesliga with Hertha.

Looks like he's very adaptable, breath of fresh air after Popa and Gumby's refusal to make changes when needed?

it wont feel right to have a coach that actually adapts :P

15 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

There was a dedicated bay for them up at bluetongue to watch Luis Garcia, I hope we don't do anything that dumb

Yep hideous wasn’t it, coach trip of kopites 

I remember when Robbie Fowler played at sydney they had London Buses out the front of the ground (yes that great icon of Liverpool the London bus) 

5 hours ago, Erebus said:

Club is putting in a lot of money in the academy and facilities and Gombau absolutely failed in that Dept. Didn't even go to any npl/nyl games or have any youth training with senior team.

Bringing in youth is imperative to the position.

And of course Babbel is going to finish his holidays. Every footballer in the world is on holidays atm. Half our squad isn't even in the country atm lol

I saw him at NYL games and the NYL final. 

However, he refused to even try Majok, Grozos or Tokich except when he had no other choice. 

The NYL side won the Grand Final despite Gombau

Gombau should have rotated the squad to ensure the youth players got game time.

WSW fans would never scream about how rotating the side is stupid because you aren't using your strongest lineup.

They would have been totally understanding about Gombau picking a midfield of Tokich, Grozos & Keanu Baccus with Lachlan Scott up front to Perth or Adelaide away. Even if we lost the game and thus made it harder to make the all important finals series.

For those of you who don't know much about Babbel, like me, I've found a tidy little video about his personal Best eleven. I don't know if it's a language limitation but he talks about mentality a lot. He doesnt seem to value the 'BEST' players as much as he values output and intensity.

Last season, the biggest gripe I heard from all of you is that players lacked heart on the pitch. I wonder how Babbel will deal with the lackluster mentality of some of our boys

3 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

Any word on staff changes. Assistant coach and conditioning staff? Will Markus be bringing his crew?

Im hoping for a mix. We've seen what can happen when head coaches dont have their own assistants (Fox) around them. 

Babbel will be at a disadvantage when it comes to our grassroots football, I just hope he gets good guidance. Though I suspect he will be appalled by the stat of Australian football. I remember a number of complaints from Polenz about how we mature our players and charge the pants off youngsters trying to make it.

I suspect a clean out will come at the end of the next season. Even if Gombau had was here for this season, he would still have been locked into a number of players and staff he clearly didnt want. Hopefully Babbel can live up to his comments about adjusting tactics to fit the squad (and staff)

I'm more than happy about this appointment from all I've learnt about Babbell over the past 24 hrs. I knew about his playing career, not so much about his management history.

I'm confident about him having the contacts to bring the right players to the club. I'm not so confident about the club forking out the $$ to enable that. Time will tell if our club leadership and financial backers are prepared to fork out the bucks to ensure that they are ******* serious about hitting the new stadium running in 2019/2020, and also them sorting out the shite with active support.

This is their big chance to get this club up and running again. With a new stadium imminent, we won't get another opportunity like this for a very long time to re-establish ourselves as a major player in the A-League

After this upcoming season, it's time to put behind our shite years at Olympic Park and start moving forward to where we should be. Up with the best year after year.

Also with expansion on the cards, and with no one knowing where that expansion will take place, we need to ensure we consolidate our current rusted on supporters and also the band wagoners, to ensure we have the solid supporter base to take us forward. We need to be far more successful and positive to make it happen

2018/2019 is it. Let's do it.

Edited by Wanderboy
20 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I'm more than happy about this appointment from all I've learnt about Babbell over the past 24 hrs. I knew about his playing career, not so much about his management history.

I'm confident about him having the contacts to bring the right players to the club. I'm not so confident about the club forking out the $$ to enable that. Time will tell if our club leadership and financial backers are prepared to fork out the bucks to ensure that they are ******* serious about hitting the new stadium running in 2019/2020, and also them sorting out the shite with active support.

This is their big chance to get this club up and running again. With a new stadium imminent, we won't get another opportunity like this for a very long time to re-establish ourselves as a major player in the A-League

After this upcoming season, it's time to put behind our shite years at Olympic Park and start moving forward to where we should be. Up with the best year after year.

Also with expansion on the cards, and with no one knowing where that expansion will take place, we need to ensure we consolidate our current rusted on supporters and also the band wagoners, to ensure we have the solid supporter base to take us forward. We need to be far more successful and positive to make it happen

2018/2019 is it. Let's do it.

Agree

although recent evidence would suggest that the club is willing to spend the $$ to get us back to top.

Last year the lashed out on Oriol and Cejudo (ok the 2nd one was a disappointment) we had be 2nd biggest wage bill in the comp.

Babbel wouldn’t have come cheap either.

The season before last where Nico and Jumpei were “marquees” still has me fuming 

19 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Agree

although recent evidence would suggest that the club is willing to spend the $$ to get us back to top.

Last year the lashed out on Oriol and Cejudo (ok the 2nd one was a disappointment) we had be 2nd biggest wage bill in the comp.

Babbel wouldn’t have come cheap either.

The season before last where Nico and Jumpei were “marquees” still has me fuming 

In a poor squad I thought Nico earnt his money, perhaps not "marquee standard", but he tried his best. Jumpei I agree with you.

Edited by sonar
12 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Fixed.

Im going to go off topic for just a quick sec to admit guilt on this issue. I've held a few negative opinions about the RBB in the past, and many I still stand by, but I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong - and I was wrong on this. We are better off as a club with the RBB than without. We got a taste of dead air at the end of the season and it was dire. I'll take the issues along with all the great things they bring.

This would be a great time for the FFA to get along side the RBB and the NT (does it even still exist? I dunno??) and build positive relationships. 

If Babbel brings nothing but passion back to our club, I reckon I can deal with that. (But seriously mate, win us a trophy of something)

Stringer - re your comment about Jumplow being marquee, that is righteous anger, and we need more of it.

20 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Im going to go off topic for just a quick sec to admit guilt on this issue. I've held a few negative opinions about the RBB in the past, and many I still stand by, but I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong - and I was wrong on this. We are better off as a club with the RBB than without. We got a taste of dead air at the end of the season and it was dire. I'll take the issues along with all the great things they bring.

This would be a great time for the FFA to get along side the RBB and the NT (does it even still exist? I dunno??) and build positive relationships. 

I seriously love your honesty mate.

You have to remember that we only get 5 players that aren’t Australian. 

Seriously limits our ability to play any sort of “beautiful” football.

The only time we pulled it off was in S4 when we had the three amigos pulling the strings.

25 minutes ago, Beer said:

You have to remember that we only get 5 players that aren’t Australian. 

Seriously limits our ability to play any sort of “beautiful” football.

The only time we pulled it off was in S4 when we had the three amigos pulling the strings.

Unless we get a guest player for the second half of the season. Guest players are outside the cap and visa restrictions.