Markus Babbel Is New Wanderers Coach

Back from my Euro trip this morning, missed all the news about our coaching appointment... it was a very ninja signing by the clubs to sign Markus Babbel. I had no idea we were going to announce our new coach so soon.

However in saying that, I am very happy with this signing, he has a far better track record than Gombau had, coaching int he Bundesliga, coaching a team into the CL and making the final 16 is a huge achievement, he would have been one of the up and coming coaches in Germany alongside the Klopp.

I am very excited in what kind of football he would bring in this season... we already have made some signings in Kamau, Elrich, Fitzgerald etc, I am sure he will make some very astute signings, especially from Germany.

With FCB already looking very giddy about Babbel, I wonder how Manfred is feeling right now... And lets hope the Bavarian Bier Cafe come on board as our sponsor :P

8 hours ago, luisenrique said:

Gotta give serious credit to to Tomi for somehow airbrushing the last two years of our existence out of his pitch to Babbel about our crowds.

Tomi scored the winner in the ACL and then came back from the 2nd leg to the airport scenes, I think he's got a bit of rose coloured glasses because he was here for the "craziest" moments.

15 hours ago, Upthehill said:

For those of you who don't know much about Babbel, like me, I've found a tidy little video about his personal Best eleven. I don't know if it's a language limitation but he talks about mentality a lot. He doesnt seem to value the 'BEST' players as much as he values output and intensity.

Last season, the biggest gripe I heard from all of you is that players lacked heart on the pitch. I wonder how Babbel will deal with the lackluster mentality of some of our boys

That was great UtH. A bit of insight into the new Gaffer. He mentions mentalitity (and by association, attitiude) alot. If he can instill that mental strength and resilience we will be able to really compete next season.

Welcome Marcus!

12 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

I'm expecting babbel to sign bozanic and spira also congrats to Rizzo who got married in Perth to ebony also expecting him to bring in a foreign CB as we need to brick wall type defence. Anyway I'm about to have dinner so ciao

Is this from your Journo mate or just a gut feeling?

12 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

My gut feeling because he has previously worked with bozanic and he probably been told of spira by tomi and others anyway roly from what I've heard is gone to Perth to play under popa so that gives us two spots for foreigners 

Is the Roly rumour from your mate? Sorry for the persistent questions. I cant always work out what is your gut feeling and what is your mate from the way you out the comment.

They were all in perth for a wedding so a few gram pics doesn't fill me with any confidence

On 19/05/2018 at 4:55 PM, ZachMercer said:

The real question is whether or not Craig Foster to cream his jeans on this appointment.

Harper, Slater, Foster and Co have reason to get orgasms. If that hasn't happened yet then they are still in Arnie land.

On 19/05/2018 at 4:56 PM, Smoggy said:

FCB beat him to it.

For a reason. Babbel in the HAL is like a Rolls Royce in a Holden car yard. It is a potential game changer for the league. Babbel will transform the club, and it will have a ripple effect through the league.

20 minutes ago, FCB said:

Harper, Slater, Foster and Co have reason to get orgasms. If that hasn't happened yet then they are still in Arnie land.

For a reason. Babbel in the HAL is like a Rolls Royce in a Holden car yard. It is a potential game changer for the league. Babbel will transform the club, and it will have a ripple effect through the league.

I hope you're right and it doesn't become too hard because FFA etc.

1 minute ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Gut feeling also roly I heard a few whispers that he may be leaving for Perth don't know if true I haven't asked my mate yet so 

Cant see it happening. That rumour started because he posted pics in perth for Italiano's wedding. He will be at Wanderers next year

Have looked up Markus' career.

At Stuttgart he had Sami Khedira, Mario Gomez and, interesting Mathieu Delpierre. 

At Hertha he had Nikita Rukavytsa.

At Hoffenheim, he had Roberto Firmino, Gulfi Sigurdsen and Joe Simunic. Pretty sure Delpierre transferred from Stuttgart to Hoffenheim when he was there.

Makes the A-League look so little when you look at the squads he has managed.

3 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

At Stuttgart he had Sami Khedira, Mario Gomez and, interesting Mathieu Delpierre. 

At Hoffenheim, he had Roberto Firmino, Gulfi Sigurdsen and Joe Simunic. Pretty sure Delpierre transferred from Stuttgart to Hoffenheim when he was there.

He is in for a bit of a culture shock lol  Glad I don't have to explain the FFA Cup or post season cup.... and everything in between....

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Never stopped a mutual termination by Tsatsimas.

But this rumour is literally appearing out of the fact that Popa and Roly were briefly in the same city - and for both we know why they were there. It wasn’t some secretive fly by night visit.

It was perpetuated because many want him gone. Strangely, despite Rizzo being there as well, that rumour never bounced around

35 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

But this rumour is literally appearing out of the fact that Popa and Roly were briefly in the same city - and for both we know why they were there. It wasn’t some secretive fly by night visit.

It was perpetuated because many want him gone. Strangely, despite Rizzo being there as well, that rumour never bounced around

Rizzo got married:angel:

56 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

He is in for a bit of a culture shock lol  Glad I don't have to explain the FFA Cup or post season cup.... and everything in between....

That’s for sure. According to Transfermarkt (obviously approximations)

Stuttgart was worth 102.9 million Euros in 2008.

Hertha Berlin was worth 114.63 million Euros in 2010

Hoffenheim was worth 157.8 million Euros in 2012

FC Luzern was worth 17.7 million Euros in 2014

last season we were estimated as 9.28 million Euros.

17 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Can comfirm leroy George will be next signing announced in a few days or even weeks also bozanic is in talks with us right now if he agrees he will be a Wanderers player next season so far that's looking good and with Markus he will probably from what I've seen bring in a quality CB from somewhere in Europe most likely Germany and maybe another strInker alongside Riera who can make runs off Riera who knows 

If Leroy comes, then we need a quality central attacking midfielder other than Bozanic (if signed) and Carrusca. Perhaps Grozos will get a go off the bench.

so signings so far

Tongyik CB, Elrich RB or LB (squaddie), Fitzgerald (RW/LW), Kamau (RW/LW).

mack has us at 4 senior contracts left plus the second marquee. The last marquee needs to be a visa CB unless Leroy is a marquee. Not sure we can a quality CAM under the cap.

Edited by Paul01
Added info
21 hours ago, SBW said:

Back from my Euro trip this morning, missed all the news about our coaching appointment... it was a very ninja signing by the clubs to sign Markus Babbel. I had no idea we were going to announce our new coach so soon.

However in saying that, I am very happy with this signing, he has a far better track record than Gombau had, coaching int he Bundesliga, coaching a team into the CL and making the final 16 is a huge achievement, he would have been one of the up and coming coaches in Germany alongside the Klopp.

I am very excited in what kind of football he would bring in this season... we already have made some signings in Kamau, Elrich, Fitzgerald etc, I am sure he will make some very astute signings, especially from Germany.

With FCB already looking very giddy about Babbel, I wonder how Manfred is feeling right now... And lets hope the Bavarian Bier Cafe come on board as our sponsor :P

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Bav is gone. Not sure if they are opening another one in Parra.... Sake will be taking over the church once the development on the site is completed. Construction on the site is due to start imminently.

54 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Leroy is on a big salary under the cap so I reckon Markus will use marquee spot on a quality German CB and if roly goes then we have one more foreigner so we can maybe get a younger striker in the mid 20's or even Bulut or Maclaren so Riera has someone running off of him but only link up I see in midfield I can see would be a bozanic and Baccus senior combo which I would say would be a solid combo 

Bulut?

5 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Yep he's left that Turkish team and said on an article this year he is up for a return to western Sydney if the chance comes

Pretty sure he broke all the bridges with Tsatsimas so i wouldn't expect a return.

Not sure what to make of Elrich and his relationship with Thugby League/Union Sonny Bill Williams. Pretty sure he took Bulut down the dark side and that's why Popa failed plus that fact the goal should have been awarded against Heartless. 

4 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Well if he's managed Rukavytsa before he should be no stranger to our inability to finish chances. 

Maclaren and Bulut should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Bulut demolished any remaining hopes for a football career in Australia, and he did it all himself. There are better players than him in the NPL who are too light for the HAL. 

This is like flogging a dead horse.