Markus Babbel Is New Wanderers Coach

52 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

That pic of him in the RBB surrounded by red haze is the greatest in the club's history.

Team Bulut.

And a big part of the reason people still go on about getting him back. 

The Legend before he became the player

I’d have loved it to work but it didn’t 

7 hours ago, FCB said:

Maclaren and Bulut should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Bulut demolished any remaining hopes for a football career in Australia, and he did it all himself. There are better players than him in the NPL who are too light for the HAL. 

This is like flogging a dead horse. 

I don't think anyone is serious about him coming back it's become a running joke

7 hours ago, Paul01 said:

He played for half a season for Heartless. He is a serial recycled A-league player (Mariners, Victory, City). And he played under Markus at Luzern.

And on top of that he was born in Sydney, and played for Parra and Blacktown in his younger days. Which makes him at least an honorary Westie. Bring our boy home :-) 

7 minutes ago, FCB said:

And on top of that he was born in Sydney, and played for Parra and Blacktown in his younger days. Which makes him at least an honorary Westie. Bring our boy home :-) 

Just like Fitzgerald. 

1 minute ago, FCB said:

Isn't Fitzgerald a Blacktown boy?

Yeah he’s from Kings Park I think.

Re Olly Bozanic, don’t get too worried about where he’s been. He only played 5 games for Joyce. He’s up to the task. He’s also the best Aussie free agent CM available this off season.

Babbel started him regularly at Luzern. I think Bozanic will be keen to get under him rather than risk another Warren Joyce situation

On 21/05/2018 at 10:37 PM, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Wel if Bulut doesn't come then surely we should have a go at Maclaren I mean he ain't marquee worth but needs game time and a return to the a league and he can help us win the title, or we go with my option sign some random African striker who turns out to be the next drogba  :xnod:

The manager sees Maclaren's future at Darmstadt. According to Schuster, loaning out Maclaren served its purpose, the player has been told when pre season training starts at the club. 

26 minutes ago, Seffa said:

to bring this thread back about the coach

question: where do you think the highest we will finish under Babbel? what type of football do you think he will play?

Placing? Top two in his second season.

Style of football? He openly says he will assess tactics after he reads his players. My hope is direct, technical football. I would love to go back to seeing us as a physically dominant side.

6 hours ago, Seffa said:

to bring this thread back about the coach

question: where do you think the highest we will finish under Babbel? what type of football do you think he will play?

Mack pretty much summed it up and will take a bit of time for him to adjust to an amateurish league compared to Europe. If he brings in a true 10 and decent cb that last year let in goals straight after we score and keep discipline and fitness focused we could actually achieve a trophie. Not expecting us to finish top 2 but will be competitive and Babbel won't do stupid line ups like the derby demolition.

Babbel didn't sign up to just be top four, and the club didn't sign him up for that either. ACL qualifaction is the measure. At least top 2 is the target. 

I was listening to a recent interview in German. He was stressing that the team has to defend as a unit. If that does not happen then the backline will be made look poor - and don't we know it. 

We'll have a good squad. Add fitness, discipline, a united locker room, a flexible adaptive game plan when needed, and you have all the trimmings of a title contender, regardless of what the others are doing. 

Just now, mack said:

Can we add Messi on loan just to make us certain treble winners?

Babbel's biggest challange will be the logistics of away trips, cow padocks, var and the refs. Beyond that we'll be competitive, at the very least.  That's more we could say for most of the last two years. Babbel will make sure that we get the basics right, and some. 

1 minute ago, FCB said:

Babbel's biggest challange will be the logistics of away trips, cow padocks, var and the refs. Beyond that we'll be competitive, at the very least.  That's more we could say for most of the last two years. Babbel will make sure that we get the basics right, and some. 

Sounds like BvM is doing with the national team. 

I'm hoping that Ben Wilson can p*** o** with Gallop in September when the FFA board gets spilled, then there won't be any favouritism any more amongst the A-League referees.

13 hours ago, FCB said:

C’mon, he’s not perfect (no-one is). Not all the things that could trip him up are going to be the fault of Australian football’s sub-par standards!

He might not settle, he might not gel with some cultural aspects or some players, he might have some mild success and get bored/want to return etc.

But you also missed balancing the squad and salary cap restrictions, understanding  summer football and hard pitches etc.

3 hours ago, btron3000 said:

C’mon, he’s not perfect (no-one is). Not all the things that could trip him up are going to be the fault of Australian football’s sub-par standards!

He might not settle, he might not gel with some cultural aspects or some players, he might have some mild success and get bored/want to return etc.

But you also missed balancing the squad and salary cap restrictions, understanding  summer football and hard pitches etc.

Perfection is for the Gods. Mere mortals try to control the things that can be controlled.

Yes, yes, yes - all of that might happen. However, if he settles in as well as his fellow Bavarian Broich then even you will have nothing to moan about :-). Unless, of course, you really go out of your way and try to find something to moan about...

The salary cap restrictions Babbel will leave for JT to sort, as mentioned in the press conference. If he can't balance the squad then he is not a manager. Give him an assistant coach who knows the ins and outs of HAL football to fill any knowledge gaps.

18 minutes ago, FCB said:

Perfection is for the Gods. Mere mortals try to control the things that can be controlled.

Yes, yes, yes - all of that might happen. However, if he settles in as well as his fellow Bavarian Broich then even you will have nothing to moan about :-). Unless, of course, you really go out of your way and try to find something to moan about...

The salary cap restrictions Babbel will leave for JT to sort, as mentioned in the press conference. If he can't balance the squad then he is not a manager. Give him an assistant coach who knows the ins and outs of HAL football to fill any knowledge gaps.

So what is temperament on the Kurz scale?

Angrier or calmer with the referees than Kurz.

Wonder how Griffiths-Jones will react to Markus?