2018 WSW Forum at Club Marconi

In for the forum, home for the game. Would like to hang around for the game but can't unfortunately.

The email advertising the forum sent out on 14/6 says it's on Weds 27th June but when I followed the link earlier today it said 26th without giving a day.  I hope people know its on tomorrow

2 hours ago, Whitey said:

Does anyone have a working link? All of mine for the last few days have been saying page not found.

No link now would be because registrations have closed - but not working the past few days?!

I’ve got games tonight so I’m out (I’m down an AR too; she came home from school early and is cactus, so anyone in Nepean who aren’t attending and feel like running a line for me is in the freezing cold, txt the phone and tell them SomeGuy needs an AR and you’re happy to help :crazy:)

i went to the forum a couple of years back. If you want to get anything useful out of it, I reckon you need to identify the crazies and stop them from asking questions. Maybe fill their mouths with party pies or something. 

If someone could post a summary later that would be appreciated. 

Oh, and watching the game at home.

2 hours ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

I’ve got games tonight so I’m out (I’m down an AR too; she came home from school early and is cactus, so anyone in Nepean who aren’t attending and feel like running a line for me is in the freezing cold, txt the phone and tell them SomeGuy needs an AR and you’re happy to help :crazy:)

i went to the forum a couple of years back. If you want to get anything useful out of it, I reckon you need to identify the crazies and stop them from asking questions. Maybe fill their mouths with party pies or something. 

If someone could post a summary later that would be appreciated. 

Oh, and watching the game at home.

Haha my son in running lines tonight in the Nepean area, maybe you’re the ref! 

I didn't really pick up on much tonight except for the info on the Academy.

9 fields, at least 1 will be 'hunter stadium quality grass' and the rest looks like synthetic. First field goes in this December and the rest 12 months later.

Massive indoor strength and conditioning facility.

No one else in the A League will have this, City's by comparison will be 1/3rd of the size our Academy will be.

Is it just me thinking this or is there a distinct lack of interest in this years forum. Looking at previous seasons..big turn out at the  forums. Lots of  interest, chatter and updates about the forum and things discussed on social media.  This year..poor turnout, very little feedback/commentary on social media.

Thoughts...?

2 hours ago, jockman said:

Is it just me thinking this or is there a distinct lack of interest in this years forum. Looking at previous seasons..big turn out at the  forums. Lots of  interest, chatter and updates about the forum and things discussed on social media.  This year..poor turnout, very little feedback/commentary on social media.

Thoughts...?

Thought the same thing, I think last year sucked the life out of the club, needs to big a season this year 

5 hours ago, jockman said:

Thoughts...?

Maybe due to last season being fraught with drama, the club are keeping it low key outside of major stuff like new coach,  players etc 

5 minutes ago, EmMac said:

Maybe due to last season being fraught with drama, the club are keeping it low key outside of major stuff like new coach,  players etc 

Conspiracy Theory #143....It was timed deliberately on a weekday evening....during the World Cup .....so numbers and interest would be low and if any dramas crop up they can say you had your chance to have a say at the fan forum but didn't.........

Nope no banned members trying to kick the door down.

I missed last year so I was hoping for something good all I got was bulk sausage rolls and party pies.

Another thing that was mentioned which I pointed out on here the other week, all those members who were banned in season 1 are back.

So we currently have 90 banned and 45 of those will be back for next season, that's pretty decent.

2 hours ago, sonar said:

Conspiracy Theory #143....It was timed deliberately on a weekday evening....during the World Cup .....so numbers and interest would be low and if any dramas crop up they can say you had your chance to have a say at the fan forum but didn't.........

You are crediting the club with far too much intelligence to actually think of something like this.

11 hours ago, jockman said:

Thoughts...?

I wouldn't have even known it's on if not for this forum.  I don't read many of the emails they send unless the subject line grabs me. Never even saw this one.

A few points:

Very disappointed at the turnout, unsure for the reason but the general malaise surrounding the club in terms of on & off field matters I guess it isn't surprising. To be honest there weren't too many hard hitting questions as a result.

Last year's meeting preceded a stupidly timed email from the club & resulting in lots of tension. Throw in banned members who tried to get in & the play out between RBB/WST ended in lots of drama. This years one, not so much...

Personally I wasn't happy with the disconnect between the club & its members. It feels like we've drifted apart since Lederer took over but this was played with a straight bat by JT. This was very similar to the answer given to us in regards to the progression of discussion between the RBB & the club.  I very much dislike talk that includes zero substance and just padded out to satisfy that they've said something to answer the question.

There was some information gleaned, little bits about Babbel, new academy, some rehashed stuff about new stadium, discussion about RBB/club mending fences (sounds promising), Honda marquee flushed down the toilet but I'd check Manfred's Twitter for a better spiel. Another impressive presentation from (Steve?) about our community engagement in terms of player interactions, supporting local charities, getting into the communities & how far we reach into the western community area. Publicly they support the new SW bid but the club seemed perplexed how Campbelltown isn't part of western Sydney when we have played there plenty in the past & clubs engagement in the area is strong.

I had a chat post forum to a few of the club employees, voiced my disappointment in the club engagement & they vowed to do better through initiatives like the member forums. Brought up fan ownership, apparently MV fan ownership fell over because "there wasn't enough interest" which is a load of ****. It was the FFA that prevented more member involvement (even though they promised it) because they didn't think it would work out. Our club are are wary of fan ownership because they are concerned that if the club were to go belly up that fans wouldn't be able to cover our debts for our portion of the club. Strongly disagree on this aspect.  

18 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Very disappointed at the turnout, unsure for the reason but the general malaise surrounding the club in terms of on & off field matters I guess it isn't surprising.

I very much dislike talk that includes zero substance and just padded out to satisfy that they've said something to answer the question.

On your first point, I think it’s also that the club didn’t want a bunch of people asking tough questions. If they really wanted people there we’d get bombarded with a proper campaign - email, social media etc - so that everyone knew it was on.

On the second point, isn’t it annoying? And just so standard these days. When someone comes out of the pack and has the balls to answer with conviction and detail - in any field - they’re gonna look like an amazing leader. This corporate speak world we live in is so... damp and drab.

What i did find surprising and can completely understand was in regards to the question on membership numbers, only 13,000 renewals so far, this means some 6,000 have not.

7 minutes ago, Howie said:

What i did find surprising and can completely understand was in regards to the question on membership numbers, only 13,000 renewals so far, this means some 6,000 have not.

Not surprised considering the terrible season and venue(s). I have a friend, foundation member, didn't go to one game last season (partly due to apathy - he absolutely loathes the SOP precinct and match experience, and partly due to commitments around his upcoming wedding). He's renewed purely to keep his foundation status and is hanging out for the return to Parra.

Where is the appeal to stay a member for many who are not rusted on, die hards? Shitty team performances, shitty atmosphere, shitty venues and management who often seem to put fans at the very bottom of their list of priorities. There is a rusted on core who will be there with this club through thick and thin (around 10-12k), but there are also a large number of fans who only support when things are good - this is normal for most sports in Australia.

Personally, I'd be happy if we lose some of the bandwagoners who never show up anyway (and I realise the irony with my friend falling into that category last season).