Australian National Teams Thread 4 + Asian Cup 2019

1 minute ago, SBW said:

Juric maybe having a **** season but Juric knows how to take on Asian opponents. 

Maclaren was woeful, Kruse well nuff said about him... Rogic showing why the SPL is the shittest league in Europe and playing for Celtic means **** all...

I'm glad that Arnie is getting exposed that he is a fraud especially on the international stage and we are stuck with him for 4 ***** years

Agreed. My main criticism which seems lost on the media is despite the injuries the players that under performed during the game are the supposed experienced players, that have been in the previous Asian Cup and World cup so there isn't any excuse Arnold got out coached and the team did not turn up and the biggest difference I am seeing is the long balls were pumping up and we have Maclaren or Nabbout up front instead of a Giannou or a Juric that suit that type of game

19 minutes ago, SBW said:

playing for Celtic means **** all...

OK, I get what you mean in the footballing quality sense, but otherwise that statement is so wrong.

9 minutes ago, Swarth said:

thank you i heard that he was most likely our best player from 2006 i must admit i didnt really notice back then but its sad how it ended

He was a top CB in the Premier League in his day (was pursued by teams like Liverpool at one point). We haven't had a defender consistently playing at the same level since.

52 minutes ago, Carns said:

He was a top CB in the Premier League in his day (was pursued by teams like Liverpool at one point). We haven't had a defender consistently playing at the same level since.

Could be said about most of that 2006 squad as well, Schwarzer was one of the best in the EPL, Cahill controlled the Everton midfield, Kewell was sought after by Clubs like Chelsea, Man U and Milan, Emerton carving up at Blackurn with Neill, Moore at Rangers, Laziridis at Birningham, Viduka was scoring for fun at Leeds and MIddlesboough, Aloisi the same at Osasuna in Spain and the two dirty work midfielders Bresciano and Grella played in the best defensive league at the time the Serie A with Parma and Palermo, even our reserve keeper Kalac wasnt playing regularly but he was at AC Milan, not a bad 4 year holiday training camp that.   Nowdays we get excited about Rogic being at Celtic, Mooy at Huddersfield and Luongo at QPR, we have gone backwards and our current leaders and their dumbass curriculum is to blame, with the curriculum we are churning out soft, albeit technically skilful midfielders with a **** first touch who can only play one way and if the pitch is bumpy, or the opposition aggressive or the stars aren't aligned they can't do jack.  We have no hunger, Okon said it best in his failed attempt with the Australia 17s back in early 2000s when he said our boys are being told that winning or losing is not important until they are 14 and we are playing Nigeria where if they don't win their family doesnt eat, how can we compete? We also have no x factor, we have no goal scorers, as we take them off when they score 3 goals in SSG, we have created a group of 'same same' robots and we wonder why we are so predictable - that's not football.

Edited by scarcev
1 hour ago, scarcev said:

Could be said about most of that 2006 squad as well, Schwarzer was one of the best in the EPL, Cahill controlled the Everton midfield, Kewell was sought after by Clubs like Chelsea, Man U and Milan, Emerton carving up at Blackurn with Neill, Moore at Rangers, Laziridis at Birningham, Viduka was scoring for fun at Leeds and MIddlesboough, Aloisi the same at Osasuna in Spain and the two dirty work midfielders Bresciano and Grella played in the best defensive league at the time the Serie A with Parma and Palermo, even our reserve keeper Kalac wasnt playing regularly but he was at AC Milan, not a bad 4 year holiday training camp that.   Nowdays we get excited about Rogic being at Celtic, Mooy at Huddersfield and Luongo at QPR, we have gone backwards and our current leaders and their dumbass curriculum is to blame, with the curriculum we are churning out soft, albeit technically skilful midfielders with a **** first touch who can only play one way and if the pitch is bumpy, or the opposition aggressive or the stars aren't aligned they can't do jack.  We have no hunger, Okon said it best in his failed attempt with the Australia 17s back in early 2000s when he said our boys are being told that winning or losing is not important until they are 14 and we are playing Nigeria where if they don't win their family doesnt eat, how can we compete? We also have no x factor, we have no goal scorers, as we take them off when they score 3 goals in SSG, we have created a group of 'same same' robots and we wonder why we are so predictable - that's not football.

Agree with you, but I think part of our issue with producing top level Socceroos stems from the break up of the NSL and the absolute chasm that was left in youth football between then and the A-league establishing itself and youth programs (and there are still issues with young players getting enough game time).

Yes, the curriculum is flawed, but we will be seeing the first generation of players who have gone through the new program from the beginning coming through soon and I think there is a bit of hope for the future gens. Things like club academies will help too.

Lucas Neil has a period of about 9 months from the Uruguay games to end of World Cup where he was outstanding 

Outside of this he wasn’t anything seriously special but I remember there were strong rumours that at the World Cup Barca scouts were watching him

in other news how’s this for a laugh

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/football/news/socceroos-asked-to-boycott-palestine-match/hevz7370fwi7z3c5iomsps9c

21 hours ago, Ossified said:

Tell you what, I'll boycott the game if Israel returns all the land they have illegally taken from the Palestinians over the past 50 years or so.

I'm with you Ossified, but for some reason,I couldn't "Like" your post.

Would be good to see Matty post over on the Not Politics Thread (lol)- good to have some new input.

2 hours ago, wendybr said:

I'm with you Ossified, but for some reason,I couldn't "Like" your post.

Would be good to see Matty post over on the Not Politics Thread (lol)- good to have some new input.

Politics and I have a love hate relationship Wendy, I do my best to steer clear of it when chatting to people :p

It's a shame you aren't interested in sharing your views Matty.

A love - hate relationship with politics, which you "steer clear" of revealing to others, sounds like you have strong views.

Our Not Politics Thread needs more spice...if ever you felt the inclination  to join in.

You can't possibly be as strident in your opinions as we've had in the past. It's pretty tame there now  ...except for Mack that is. 😂😂

7 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

Is tonight's game on fox or normal tv?

I want Palestine to win not just to piss off Arnold but rub it into the politics of this fixture. 

Asian Cup is only on Fox until the late stage KO rounds, from memory.

3 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Can't believe people would want Australia to get beaten just because of their dislike of the current national team manager.

I don't want the Socceroos to lose but I am pointing out a fact.

We should be beating Palestine absolutely no circumstances should we be drawing let alone losing to them. I saw the game against Syria and unlike Jordan they don't really have the quality to play quick on transition. However they do have a great defender in number 15 he really impressed me.

But if we don't get a result I will squarely blame Arnold because he has not impressed me in how we are playing since he took over. Were very predictable and run out of ideas and then its long ball time. If you going to play long balls a Giannou or Juric are preferable over Macca because its not his game.

• mack locked this topic