EPL & F.A Cup thread (Featuring Ange at Spurs)

16 hours ago, btron3000 said:

haha yeah most would have been innocuous but also people don't realise when they are being one-eyed, that's what being one-eyed is!  I just remember thinking a couple of times "hmmm that's a bit biased for him" because I almost always find your posts to cut through the crap and talk sense. It wasn't like I was outraged in a social media kind of way :D

You originally said "what is the difference?", implying that the situations with Villa, Sheffield and Liverpool were close to equal. The question of where you draw the line is a much better question I think.

For me, the answer - if the world wasn't controlled by lawyers - would be that the positions they are in now, provided that games played was equal, would be the finishing position. It's not like teams have been waiting until 5 games to go to give it a run, no-one is intentionally in the relegation zone, they've all been trying to get out and some haven't made it. Tough. Though the thought of a 22 team comp sounds good, provided concessions are made with Cup games etc. to avoid burnout.

But the answers can only come when there is a final outcome regarding whether any games can go ahead. If there are two teams that are in the example you give above, and no more games can go ahead, what's stopping them from having a one-off playoff game etc.?  All will be determined by the virus and how it progresses.

Saying I'm one-eyed and then dismissing my defense as "people don't realise when they are being one-eyed, that's what being one-eyed is" kinda feels like a Kafka trap, but we're probably not going to agree on this one.

I don't mind the idea of finding a way to play the two games in hand behind closed doors to get a fairer result. Still not completely fair as it doesn't take into account the different difficulties of the remaining fixtures. Villa could win their one game in hand and save themselves from relegation, relegating Watford in the process. However this doesn't take into account that Villa still have to play Chelsea, Wolves, Liverpool, United, Everton and Arsenal in their remaining nine fixtures, a much harder run in than Watford.

I suppose anything other than a full season will be unfair to someone, goes back to my original point of where you draw the line.

2 hours ago, Davo said:

Saying I'm one-eyed and then dismissing my defense as "people don't realise when they are being one-eyed, that's what being one-eyed is" kinda feels like a Kafka trap, but we're probably not going to agree on this one.

I don't mind the idea of finding a way to play the two games in hand behind closed doors to get a fairer result. Still not completely fair as it doesn't take into account the different difficulties of the remaining fixtures. Villa could win their one game in hand and save themselves from relegation, relegating Watford in the process. However this doesn't take into account that Villa still have to play Chelsea, Wolves, Liverpool, United, Everton and Arsenal in their remaining nine fixtures, a much harder run in than Watford.

I suppose anything other than a full season will be unfair to someone, goes back to my original point of where you draw the line.

I don’t see how they can relegate or promote without completing the season 

Well I didn't mean it to be a kafka trap (I had to look that up :)), I was very genuine that your posts are great but maybe on one or two tiny occasions - I can't even remember the topics - I thought "ah Man U supporter".

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone other than Man U, Everton, maybe City, and a few Liverpool haters that think they shouldn't be given the title.

The question is a good one - where do you draw the line? I reckon each situation is different. But there is no doubt the line is somewhere below where Liverpool are.  I mean, I am normally in the "it hasn't been finished, anything could happen" boat.  But not this time. There has never been a clearer example of a team that is definitely going to win it.  This season is historic. The only question was whether it was going to be the best single league season or not. 18 Points by the Man U 1999/2000 team is the biggest points differential in top flight history.

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

I don’t see how they can relegate or promote without completing the season 

I tend to agree with this as removing someone from a competition is very different to declaring the winner or even the champs league spots.  Thre was talk of promoting the top 2, no playoffs, and having a 22 team season.

I think they'll find a way to finish it.  I'm clearly guessing here but it all depends on the virus so they may as well wait and see. 

Most recent talk is aligning the season to the calendar and ending 2020, 21 and 22 seasons in November to lead in to Qatar World Cup. Euros played in December too. A bit crazy but not too crazy.

3 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

The big positive is that we have time, a decision does not need to made now, not even before the end of the current hiatus of games on April 3. How they come to a decision will be very interesting

Yeah West Ham directors already saying declare season null and void, all the self-interest is coming out.

Execs were at a crisis meeting on Thursday with FA, it looks like they are sensibly waiting.

On 16/03/2020 at 9:14 PM, btron3000 said:

Yeah West Ham directors already saying declare season null and void, all the self-interest is coming out.

I wouldn’t put any faith or anything for that matter that comes out of Karen Brady mouth. They’ve run West Ham into the ground & they'll be lucky not to get relegated. They’ll say anything they can to keep them in the prem 

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Burgerman said:

It's still an entertaining fight for champions league and would like wolves to sneak in. 

Congratulations to Liverpool dam impressive and can continue on with city a bit off and all the main top 6 teams are all rebuilding. 

Especially as United play Leicester and Chelsea play Wolves on the last day of the season.

I think it may be a bit too far for Wolves as they've got a tougher run in, playing Sheffield, Everton and Chelsea in their last five games, plus their goal difference is the worst of the four teams.

United have the easiest run in with Villa, Southampton, Crystal Palace, West Ham and Leicester but probably need to win all five to make it. In good form since the restart with four wins, a draw and an aggregate score of 12-2. Have a good goal difference but probably can't catch Leicester's GD.

Chelsea have Sheffield, Liverpool and Wolves in their last three games and probably no room to drop many points in there. Depends if drunk Liverpool or regular Liverpool turn up. They also probably can't catch United and Leicester in GD so they'll need to do it on points.

Leicester have the most points and the best GD so they're in a good position but their form has been pretty bad since the restart (two draws against relegation threatened teams, a loss to Everton and a win against Palace). They also have a tough run in with Arsenal, Sheffield, Spurs and United in their last five games.

Based on form and the remaining games my guess is Wolves miss out, United make at least 4th and it's a toss up between Leicester and Chelsea for the other spot.

Yeah Wolves need to win all four remaining games and hope someone else screws up to have a chance. They've got Everton, Burnley and Palace before the last round against Chelsea. If they win all three and Chelsea drop points against Sheffield and Liverpool then Wolves could be within three points on the last day, but I think it's too far.

United on form should win against Southampton, Crystal Palace and West Ham. I'm hoping West Ham win their next two against Norwich and Watford to pull away from the relegation zone before playing United. Teams playing for their survival tend to pull out some upsets. Then United will either be ahead of Leicester or at worst a point behind going into the last round match against them.

Leicester were lucky that Arsenal can't close out a game as I reckon they were no chance of taking anything before the Arsenal red card. Their worry is Spurs away as they haven't won any of their last six away games, plus Sheffield at home isn't an easy game. If they win all three then a draw at home against United keeps them ahead.

Still going with my prediction that United make top four and Wolves miss out. If Chelsea beat Sheffield I reckon they'll be ok, even if they lose to Liverpool. My guess is Chelsea, United, Leicester, Wolves.

In totally expected news, Manchester City have had their Champions League ban overturned by the CAS.

From the CAS ruling:

"However, considering i) the financial resources of MCFC; ii) the importance of the cooperation of clubs in investigations conducted by the CFCB, because of its limited investigative means; and iii) MCFC’s disregard of such principle and its obstruction of the investigations, the CAS panel found that a significant fine should be imposed on MCFC and considered it appropriate to reduce UEFA’s initial fine by two-thirds, i.e. to the amount of EUR 10 million."

They’ve been caught on more than one occasion breaching FFP and have been deliberately obstructive and dishonest during the investigation. Apparently the appropriate response to owners with unlimited funds overspending is to remove their ban and reduce their fine. They spent over 160 million Euros on transfers in the last window so that 10 million fine will really teach them a lesson...

I wonder what it’ll mean for FFP. UEFA introduced it to control spending and they’ve gone from 1.6 billion Euro losses to European clubs collectively making a profit, but if the big clubs can ignore it and pay a relatively tiny fine then what’s the point? Also how bad are UEFA’s rules that they aren’t able to ban a club for deliberately obstructing their investigation?

Apparently the Premier League are continuing with their own investigation although it looks like 5th place won’t be getting into the Champions League anymore so it makes the top four race even more precarious.

United let Chelsea and Leicester out of jail with that last minute equaliser by Southampton.

Pretty annoyed that VAR thought this was fine at 2-1 in the first half considering Romeu was one of their better players today.

Ball was well gone and he continues to go in late with the studs. Still, United weren't good enough in the second half and didn't kill them off with when they had chances.

Also I'm not a huge fan of the new substitution rule. I get that they don't want to slow the game down too much so you only have three opportunities to make your five substitutions (besides half time), but when we have mandatory drinks breaks, VAR checks that take several minutes and the whole point of the rule was to allow more changes so they could compress the fixtures they why not let them use it. United had a sub left and Williams went off with a suspected concussion but the fifth sub couldn't come on so the equaliser came against ten men (even more annoying when Southampton should have been down to ten for over an hour).

Means third to fifth are now separated by a point so at least it's exciting.

On 14/07/2020 at 12:19 PM, Davo said:

United let Chelsea and Leicester out of jail with that last minute equaliser by Southampto

Don’t forget there is still a few games left & you play them on the last day. Chelsea out of jail but Leicester? Don’t think so

9 hours ago, Burgerman said:

It all comes down to last round so exciting when it's a fight on the last night 

But would have been nice if Chelsea didn’t leave it till the last round :rolleyes: 

That Leicester v United match should be a complete cracker. Wolves still need to secure a Europa league spot with heavy competition for places, they can’t afford to go easy on Chelsea.

Hope Villa go down...but probably won't....

Derby and Sheff Weds are likely to get punished for breaching various financial fair play rules..and what Villa did back in their promotion season and before was just as bad.....fiddling the ******* books there for a few years..

23 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Derby and Sheff Weds are likely to get punished for breaching various financial fair play rules..and what Villa did back in their promotion season and before was just as bad.....fiddling the ******* books there for a few years..

Leicester also got away with it in the Championship and then won the Premier League a short while after !!

23 hours ago, Smoggy said:

So Villa survive at the expense of Watford and Bournemouth....I've no sympathy for Watford with their current regime but always thought that Bournemouth tried to play attractive football.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tim Sherwood makes watching Optus sport painful he makes Robbie slater look intelligent 

“Carlo anelotti was lucky not to get sacked last year” 

yep Tim I’m sure Multi European champions league and countless domestic league wins Carlo really gives a **** about former Sacked by Tottenham and Aston villa manager of  Swindon Town Tim thinks 

• mack changed the title to EPL & F.A Cup thread (Featuring Ange at Spurs)