EPL & F.A Cup thread (Featuring Ange at Spurs)

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Spurs going to 8th tier Marine FC in the cup 3rd round! Biggest ever gap between two sides in an FA Cup game..Marine only the second ever 8th tier side to make the 3rd round..what a draw!

Marine are a Liverpool side by the way..mini kopites? :D

The 2nd best team in Liverpool after Everton then.......

7 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Isn't that Tranmere? :rofl:

I think if you call someone from Tranmere a Liverpool person it is like comparing Middlesbrough to Newcastle lol Tranmere is the Wirral....i know this because I have relies on the Wirral and they don't like being compared lol

I think the Wirral was once Cheshire and Liverpool was part of Lancashire..

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

I think if you call someone from Tranmere a Liverpool person it is like comparing Middlesbrough to Newcastle lol Tranmere is the Wirral....i know this because I have relies on the Wirral and they don't like being compared lol

I think the Wirral was once Cheshire and Liverpool was part of Lancashire..

Whilst I take your point about Birkenhead not being part of Liverpool due to being the other side of the Mersey, I've never heard it suggested that Middlesbrough is part of Newcastle!! Always thought it was a far flung suburb of Leeds :xnod:

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Look on the positives 9 points form Chelsea, Leicester, Arsenal it’s not bad and that’s without the James 

I'm happy with the points and beating those teams.

Just highlighting how poor Arsenal are. I said to an Arsenal supporting mate that usually I'd be thrilled that Everton managed to jag a win against them, but Everton winning this morning was just expected. They've fallen that far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The second red is the same as the David Luiz one earlier the same day and it's because the rule is broken. They took away the red for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity if it results in a penalty, provided the player made an attempt to get the ball. The idea is that things like holding or just tripping them up without even trying for the ball should still be punished with a red, but it wouldn't discourage defenders from making a legitimate attempt to win the ball.

In both cases the player wasn't going for the ball but wasn't really trying to foul the attacker either. It's the kind of contact that would be given as a foul in the centre circle and nobody would complain. Problem is as soon as the VAR agrees that it's a penalty they need to check whether they made an attempt at the ball. Because they weren't even really making a tackle (particularly the Luiz one) they can't have been going for the ball so it'll always be red.

I also thought it was funny how much time the post match show gave to that decision when it was already 6-0 and they were already a player down. Didn't bother talking about the referee not playing advantage when Cavani was brought down in the first half and Greenwood had a tap in. Decided to stop play to give a penalty instead of letting Greenwood score, which VAR reviewed, decided was outside the box and awarded as a free kick instead.

• mack changed the title to EPL & F.A Cup thread (Featuring Ange at Spurs)