Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mack

Patrick Ziegler

Recommended Posts

Patrick Ziegler

Date Of Birth: 09/02/90
Nation: Germany
Birthplace: Grafelfing, Germany
Squad Number: 34
Position: Central Defender
Secondary Positions: Defensive Midfield

Joined Wanderers: 25/07/18
Contract Details: 3 Year Initial Contract
Contract Finish: 2020/21
Previous Club: Kaiserslautern
Wanderers Debut: 29th October 2018 vs Bonnyrigg FC

Wanderers A-League Appearances: 6
Wanderers A-League Goals: 0

Wanderers ACL Appearances:
Wanderers ACL Goals:

Wanderers FFA Cup Appearances: 2
Wanderers FFA Cup Goals: 0

Wanderers Club World Cup Appearances:
Wanderers Club World Cup Goals:

Wanderers Total Appearances: 8
Wanderers Total Goals: 0

Yearly Appearances & Goals: 2018/19: 8 (0)

International Team: Germany
International Caps: 0
International Goals: 0

Individual Awards:

Team Honours:

Highlight:
Highlight:
Highlight:

Description: A tall German central defender who has played the majority of his career in the Germany second division, Ziegler has the dubious honour of having given away the fastest penalty in Bundesliga history, against Hamburg in 2015 after just 8 seconds. Early into his A-League career it was revealed he had Australian ancestry through his father. He has been awaiting an Australian citizenship confirmation since then, which would allow the Wanderers to add another foreign player to their roster. Injury restricted him to only 8 games in 2018/19.

View full record

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

That's a really good pickup for us. I wonder if we knew he was potentially Australian before they tried to sign him? If his dad was Australian, my understanding is that he would be immediately available to play for the Australian national team, although maybe only after he had his citizenship confirmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait wut?

Does this mean he'll be registered as an Aus player and NOT a VISA player?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully by January transfer window, if not before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Erebus said:

Wait wut?

Does this mean he'll be registered as an Aus player and NOT a VISA player?

He has to be a permanent resident or citizen to qualify as an Australian player.

Barring any oddities with his father's citizenship, if his dad was Australian when Patrick was born, he's eligible for citizenship by descent.

He would need to gather up some paperwork and submit it to the Immigration Department, according to them 75% of the applications are processed within 3 months (it'd be nice if they got that down to about 2 months so he'd be Australian before the transfer window closes) and 90% within 5 months which would put him as Australian before the Jan transfer window.

As for playing for Australia, my reading suggests that once he has the citizenship, he is eligible for Australia if his father was born in Australian territory (as he never played youth football for Germany), and maybe even if his dad wasn't born here if FIFA allow it. Of course, this assumes Arnie wouldn't prefer one of his smurf players instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mack said:

He has to be a permanent resident or citizen to qualify as an Australian player.

Barring any oddities with his father's citizenship, if his dad was Australian when Patrick was born, he's eligible for citizenship by descent.

He would need to gather up some paperwork and submit it to the Immigration Department, according to them 75% of the applications are processed within 3 months (it'd be nice if they got that down to about 2 months so he'd be Australian before the transfer window closes) and 90% within 5 months which would put him as Australian before the Jan transfer window.

As for playing for Australia, my reading suggests that once he has the citizenship, he is eligible for Australia if his father was born in Australian territory (as he never played youth football for Germany), and maybe even if his dad wasn't born here if FIFA allow it. Of course, this assumes Arnie wouldn't prefer one of his smurf players instead.

Your forgetting how many impediments the current regime is putting up against anyone not born here. I am not getting my hopes on thi.

However, I am glad we have a good quality centreback with some pace and creative ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His type of citizenship is unlike someone converting from a permanent resident or via a marriage. All he really needs to do is provide proof he isn't a criminal and he will receive it, with a high probability before the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mack said:

His type of citizenship is unlike someone converting from a permanent resident or via a marriage. All he really needs to do is provide proof he isn't a criminal and he will receive it, with a high probability before the end of the year.

great news!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might also explain why they gave him 3 years? The club is banking on him being a local for next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shows some pretty good due diligence by the club. Hope the paperwork sails through and he gets in the frame for the NT too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping his citizenship comes through by the end of this month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the Terrorgraph but found this interesting but also shows a western Sydney mentality.

Ziegler has been waiting for news on his Australian citizenship application which, if successful, would give the Wanderers an extra foreign spot to play with.

The 28-year-old’s father Francis was born and grew up in Adelaide.

“To be honest I don’t know the status,” he said.

“A few weeks ago they asked me questions about my father and I answered it, so I don’t know if it’s close or if it takes two months.”

The Wanderers grabbed their first win in Wellington last weekend, in a promising 3-0 performance certain to boost confidence ahead of this Saturday’s home match against Brisbane in Mudgee.

“If you win one game and get the confidence and everything is going well,” Ziegler said.

“Before the season everyone said Western Sydney Wanderers have problems and stuff like this, we have to show them it’s not the case.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hope he is fit and gets a few games in before the end of the season as i would like to see him play some more.. Any update since his surgery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MistahCampoy said:

Really hope he is fit and gets a few games in before the end of the season as i would like to see him play some more.. Any update since his surgery?

It was mentioned that he was going to miss the rest of the season after his surgery.

Probably with the thinking, that he was going to struggle to get fit or play a part for the rest of the 18/19 season, better to get the surgery done so has enough time to get his body right for preseason 19/20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...