Wanderers ACL Appearances:
Wanderers ACL Goals:

Wanderers FFA Cup Appearances: 2
Wanderers FFA Cup Goals: 0

Wanderers Club World Cup Appearances:
Wanderers Club World Cup Goals:

Wanderers Total Appearances: 37
Wanderers Total Goals: 1

Yearly Appearances & Goals: 2018/19: 8 (0), 2019/20: 21 (1), 2020/21: 8 (0)

International Team: Germany
International Caps: 0
International Goals: 0

Individual Awards:

Team Honours:

Highlight: Scored his first goal for the Wanderers in Round 11 of Season 2019/20 against Western United.
Highlight:
Highlight:

Description: A tall German central defender who has played the majority of his career in the Germany second division, Ziegler has the dubious honour of having given away the fastest penalty in Bundesliga history, against Hamburg in 2015 after just 8 seconds. Early into his A-League career it was revealed he had Australian ancestry through his father and after a long delay he received his citizenship and was no longer considered a foreign player. His time at the club was average at best, and he left after the 2020/21 season.

View full record

That's a really good pickup for us. I wonder if we knew he was potentially Australian before they tried to sign him? If his dad was Australian, my understanding is that he would be immediately available to play for the Australian national team, although maybe only after he had his citizenship confirmed.

2 hours ago, Erebus said:

Wait wut?

Does this mean he'll be registered as an Aus player and NOT a VISA player?

He has to be a permanent resident or citizen to qualify as an Australian player.

Barring any oddities with his father's citizenship, if his dad was Australian when Patrick was born, he's eligible for citizenship by descent.

He would need to gather up some paperwork and submit it to the Immigration Department, according to them 75% of the applications are processed within 3 months (it'd be nice if they got that down to about 2 months so he'd be Australian before the transfer window closes) and 90% within 5 months which would put him as Australian before the Jan transfer window.

As for playing for Australia, my reading suggests that once he has the citizenship, he is eligible for Australia if his father was born in Australian territory (as he never played youth football for Germany), and maybe even if his dad wasn't born here if FIFA allow it. Of course, this assumes Arnie wouldn't prefer one of his smurf players instead.

2 hours ago, mack said:

He has to be a permanent resident or citizen to qualify as an Australian player.

Barring any oddities with his father's citizenship, if his dad was Australian when Patrick was born, he's eligible for citizenship by descent.

He would need to gather up some paperwork and submit it to the Immigration Department, according to them 75% of the applications are processed within 3 months (it'd be nice if they got that down to about 2 months so he'd be Australian before the transfer window closes) and 90% within 5 months which would put him as Australian before the Jan transfer window.

As for playing for Australia, my reading suggests that once he has the citizenship, he is eligible for Australia if his father was born in Australian territory (as he never played youth football for Germany), and maybe even if his dad wasn't born here if FIFA allow it. Of course, this assumes Arnie wouldn't prefer one of his smurf players instead.

Your forgetting how many impediments the current regime is putting up against anyone not born here. I am not getting my hopes on thi.

However, I am glad we have a good quality centreback with some pace and creative ability.

9 hours ago, mack said:

His type of citizenship is unlike someone converting from a permanent resident or via a marriage. All he really needs to do is provide proof he isn't a criminal and he will receive it, with a high probability before the end of the year.

great news!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the Terrorgraph but found this interesting but also shows a western Sydney mentality.

Ziegler has been waiting for news on his Australian citizenship application which, if successful, would give the Wanderers an extra foreign spot to play with.

The 28-year-old’s father Francis was born and grew up in Adelaide.

“To be honest I don’t know the status,” he said.

“A few weeks ago they asked me questions about my father and I answered it, so I don’t know if it’s close or if it takes two months.”

The Wanderers grabbed their first win in Wellington last weekend, in a promising 3-0 performance certain to boost confidence ahead of this Saturday’s home match against Brisbane in Mudgee.

“If you win one game and get the confidence and everything is going well,” Ziegler said.

“Before the season everyone said Western Sydney Wanderers have problems and stuff like this, we have to show them it’s not the case.”

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, MistahCampoy said:

Really hope he is fit and gets a few games in before the end of the season as i would like to see him play some more.. Any update since his surgery?

It was mentioned that he was going to miss the rest of the season after his surgery.

Probably with the thinking, that he was going to struggle to get fit or play a part for the rest of the 18/19 season, better to get the surgery done so has enough time to get his body right for preseason 19/20.

• 1 year later...