Wanderers ACL Appearances:
Wanderers ACL Goals:

Wanderers FFA Cup Appearances: 3
Wanderers FFA Cup Goals: 1

Wanderers Club World Cup Appearances:
Wanderers Club World Cup Goals:

Wanderers Total Appearances: 23
Wanderers Total Goals: 4

Yearly Appearances & Goals: 2018/19: 23 (4)

International Team: Germany
International Caps: 0
International Goals:

Individual Awards:

Team Honours:

Highlight: Scored on his debut for the Wanderers, against Bonnyrigg White Eagles in the FFA Cup.
Highlight:
Highlight:

Description: Journeyman midfielder who spent the majority of his career playing sporadically up and down the Germany league system before spending two uneventful seasons in Brazil. He will be hoping to reach some of the potential seen in his youth, while staying fit on the pitch. His only season for the Wanderers was punctuated by a lack of end product and a month long injury in the middle of the season where he missed 6 games. Despite producing the occasional nice looking pass, assist or goal his results never matched the hype given to him by the media and he was released.

View full record

Alex will be a decent signing for us.

He may not set the ALeague on fire like Adrian, but he may just surprise a few with his level of impact. He's only been granted a 12 month contract by a gaffer who knows his level of ability, so he has plenty to prove if he wishes to reignite his career

After arriving in Western Sydney late last night from Brazil, the attacking midfielder says he is ready for a new challenge in his career with the Wanderers. 

"I'm very excited for this new challenge in my career, the Western Sydney Wanderers are the biggest club in Australia with a great history,"

"They are the only Australian club who have won the Asian Champions League. I'm very excited and I can't wait to start training."

"I've never been here before and I think I will get a nice overview about the club and the city over the next few days. I'm very motivated."

"I think it's always important that you have a coach that knows you and that gives you the confidence," 

"Markus Babbel played a big role in my decision and I can't wait to start training and play in front of members and fans."

"Normally I don't like to talk much about myself, I hope I can help the club to get back on track to win some trophies.

"I think the last two years weren't so successful and the club deserves to win something and I will do my best and hope I can help the club win something."

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/baumjohann-ready-make-impact

20 minutes ago, FCB said:

After arriving in Western Sydney late last night from Brazil, the attacking midfielder says he is ready for a new challenge in his career with the Wanderers. 

"I'm very excited for this new challenge in my career, the Western Sydney Wanderers are the biggest club in Australia with a great history,"

"They are the only Australian club who have won the Asian Champions League. I'm very excited and I can't wait to start training."

"I've never been here before and I think I will get a nice overview about the club and the city over the next few days. I'm very motivated."

"I think it's always important that you have a coach that knows you and that gives you the confidence," 

"Markus Babbel played a big role in my decision and I can't wait to start training and play in front of members and fans."

"Normally I don't like to talk much about myself, I hope I can help the club to get back on track to win some trophies.

"I think the last two years weren't so successful and the club deserves to win something and I will do my best and hope I can help the club win something."

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/baumjohann-ready-make-impact

IIRC he also said something about the new stadium being built. Maybe he plans on being here for longer than one season. 

5 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

He has a one year deal, as long as he proves it this year & shows that he deserves another year. 100%

As Markus said in the video, Alex is not fit. You wouldn't give a player a long term deal unless he has been playing at a decent level.

That said Berisha, Broiche and Fornaroli all had average or below, which give me hope. He spent 2 years off because of cruciate ligament damage plus 2 years on an extended honeymoon.

• 1 month later...

A good read on ABJ

BVB Fan Baumjohann's Incredible Bundesliga Tale

15 hours ago   /  arrowhead

From the very start of his career, football was an emotional rollercoaster for Western Sydney Wanderers' German recruit Alex Baumjohann.

Growing up in the small town of Waltrop just 20 minutes north of Signal Iduna Park, a youthful Baumjohann indulged in a love affair with one of Germany’s most prestigious clubs - Borussia Dortmund.

He decked out his room in yellow and black, watched every match on TV and cried whenever BVB lost. Schalke was the enemy.

As he grew older, Baumjohann dreamt of playing for Borussia Dortmund, of kicking a ball in front of 80,000 of football’s most diehard supporters just twenty minutes down the road.

He soon turned 12 and was selected to play in a statewide tournament featuring some of Germany’s best young footballers - the chance had finally arrived for a young Borussia Dortmund fanatic to be recognised by his boyhood club.

But as it turned out, the football gods had other plans for Baumjohann.

"The tournament went well," Baumjohann told FTBL

"The scouts identified me as one of the best players and soon I had offers from nearly every Bundesliga club… except Borussia Dortmund.

"This upset me because in my town of Waltrop, everyone supported Borussia Dortmund, and I can honestly say I was one of the club’s biggest supporters at the time.

"I decided to join the club that showed the most interest in me - Schalke, which was Borussia Dortmund’s biggest rival.

"But then, just one day after I signed for Schalke, Borussia Dortmund called me. I broke down in tears but my mother insisted I honour my word and commit to playing for Schalke.

"Schalke is to Dortmund like Sydney FC is to Western Sydney, so it was difficult initially, but I soon found my love for Schalke, and started training with the first team when I turned 16, which is also when I signed my first professional contract."

Baumjohann went on to play for Schalke, before moving to fellow Bundesliga club Borussia Mönchengladbach in search of more playing time. Here, the nifty playmaker found his mojo, starring in the Bundesliga and forcing a move to the greatest club in the land, Bayern Munich.

But as Baumjohann learnt at Schalke, a starting position wasn’t something to take for granted in the Bundesliga, and after just three appearances for the European powerhouse, he was back at Schalke where it all began.

After a successful move that included a start against Manchester United in the 2011 Champions League semi final at Old Trafford, Baumjohann went on to feature for Kaiserslautern and Hertha Berlin before moving to Brazil.

Here, injuries and political deceit soured the German’s time in his wife’s native country, and when Wanderers came knocking, Baumjohann simply couldn’t say no.

"Brazil is not an easy to country to play in," he said.

"It’s very political and the president often makes the calls despite knowing very little about football. They often pander to the fans.

"After that experience I wanted to come to a club with good organisation and I think Australia is perfect for this. I had options to come home to Germany but wasn’t ready to do that yet.

"I also got an offer from Saudi Arabia, but I have a wife and two daughters so it would have been tough to go there with three girls.

"The offer was around three or four times more, it was really good money, but money isn’t the most important thing for me. I wanted to play in the A-League.

"I love football and I knew the A-League before I signed here from hearing about Del Piero signing with Sydney FC. When Thomas Broich was playing for Brisbane, people started to talk about the A-League in Germany.

"I also knew about the Wanderers winning the Asian Champions League just a year after being founded.

"I’ve had such bad luck in my last two years with injuries, but now I have a coach at Western Sydney who gives me confidence and I think I can be one of the key players in the league.

"I want to play on for four or five more years."

Baumjohann has featured in two FFA Cup matches for Wanderers, playing an influential role in 2-1 wins against Bonnyrigg and Melbourne City respectively

On 22/09/2018 at 10:12 AM, Taurus said:

A goal & an assist in 2 competitive games. 

They are the type of stats we require from Treejack, if we are to challenge for a top 4 spot this season

Plus embarrassing Luke Brattan to provide the counterattack for Roly's goal against Heartle$$.

2 minutes ago, Erebus said:

So the brother in law is a massive German football fan. He was really surprised that we signed him. Says AB10 is too good for the AL and even rates his skills higher than Broich.

Rates him very highly. This is encouraging. Riera is going to love getting good service.

In the article, he chose us because of Babbel and didn't want to go to Saudi Arabia. 

• 4 weeks later...

Baumjohann interview in Kicker sportsmag, could not be bothered translating the whole thing, but for what it's worth

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/intligen/startseite/734239/artikel_baumjohann_ich-will-zeigen-was-ich-noch-kann.html#omsearchresult

About his new start in Australia: wants to make an impression, leave his mark; he is fit, ready to go, the season prep was good, he is looking forward to the season starting. And of course he wants to show what he can do, and that no one should write him off.

About his goals with WSW: It’s still a young club that set a massive exclamation mark by winning the ACL in 2014. After 7th spot last year they want to improve. The potential for that is in the squad, and Babbel is a top manager who gives clear directions and has a clear plan. New stadium next year, soon a new training facility – we want to put down the foundations for the future in this season. The WSW are likely to become the top club in Australia.

About the favourites: ESFC have lost substance by losing important players, he regards VIC as the top favourite. He beliefs WSW have good chances to compete at the top. He believes that ESFC didn’t win the FFA cup game, but that WSW lost it. It was visible that ESFC have their weaknesses.

About his role under Markus Babbel: “He trusts me, I trust him. Most of the time we play 4-2-3-1 with me being the 10. Up front we have with Oriol Riera a spanish striker who has the goods for the golden boot.”

About the style of play: “I thought that the Australian football would be very british. After the first few weeks in Sydney I have to say that the type of football is more technical. That’s good for me.”

About his year in Brazil: it didn’t work out for both his clubs and for him; had issues with a late visa, a hand injury, a change of manager; is still glad that he did it

About Usain Bolt: sees it as a “cute story” but mainly as a PR stunt.

About his future: chose to sign for only one year for a reason; is aware that China and Japan pays better, and that they often pick clubs from the HAL; because of that he does not believe that wsw will be his last port of call abroad; will go back to Germany after his career

1 hour ago, FCB said:

Baumjohann interview in Kicker sportsmag, could not be bothered translating the whole thing, but for what it's worth

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/intligen/startseite/734239/artikel_baumjohann_ich-will-zeigen-was-ich-noch-kann.html#omsearchresult

About his new start in Australia: wants to make an impression, leave his mark; he is fit, ready to go, the season prep was good, he is looking forward to the season starting. And of course he wants to show what he can do, and that no one should write him off.

About his goals with WSW: It’s still a young club that set a massive exclamation mark by winning the ACL in 2014. After 7th spot last year they want to improve. The potential for that is in the squad, and Babbel is a top manager who gives clear directions and has a clear plan. New stadium next year, soon a new training facility – we want to put down the foundations for the future in this season. The WSW are likely to become the top club in Australia.

About the favourites: ESFC have lost substance by losing important players, he regards VIC as the top favourite. He beliefs WSW have good chances to compete at the top. He believes that ESFC didn’t win the FFA cup game, but that WSW lost it. It was visible that ESFC have their weaknesses.

About his role under Markus Babbel: “He trusts me, I trust him. Most of the time we play 4-2-3-1 with me being the 10. Up front we have with Oriol Riera a spanish striker who has the goods for the golden boot.”

About the style of play: “I thought that the Australian football would be very british. After the first few weeks in Sydney I have to say that the type of football is more technical. That’s good for me.”

About his year in Brazil: it didn’t work out for both his clubs and for him; had issues with a late visa, a hand injury, a change of manager; is still glad that he did it

About Usain Bolt: sees it as a “cute story” but mainly as a PR stunt.

About his future: chose to sign for only one year for a reason; is aware that China and Japan pays better, and that they often pick clubs from the HAL; because of that he does not believe that wsw will be his last port of call abroad; will go back to Germany after his career

On the last paragraph I guess enjoy him while we can.

7 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

A year in Aus and he won't want to leave. 

Hope so, but could be a Adrian Mjerevski type thing or Leroy George. Star for a season get noticed by Asian teams go for the money, can’t blame em either 

Hopefully he is more like Thomas Brioch and settles here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...