International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

1 minute ago, sonar said:

I know what these people did is quite serious and people have died and I shouldn't make light of it but their mindset and thinking is just bizarre. It's like they thought it was a picnic outing. I have this picture of them saying to their mums and dads wtte...."we're off to storm the capitol for the revolution and we might be late for dinner, see you when we get back".......

Yes it’s bizarre to see the word revolution roll off someone’s tongue like they think it’s a little event they are attending and they are fully expecting to win. 

10 hours ago, sonar said:

I know what these people did is quite serious and people have died and I shouldn't make light of it but their mindset and thinking is just bizarre. It's like they thought it was a picnic outing. I have this picture of them saying to their mums and dads wtte...."we're off to storm the capitol for the revolution and we might be late for dinner, see you when we get back".......

It’s crazy. She spoke to the media on the record, in front of a camera and told them who she was and where she’s from. She then confessed to entering the Capitol building, didn’t leave voluntarily, only because police pepper sprayed her and admitted that the reason she was there was to be part of a revolution to overthrow the government.

Basically gave enough information to identify her, then confessed to crimes that potentially carry decades in prison.

After listening to Pelosi this morning I have changed my mind on the 25th and impeachment.

Only 10 days or so to go, just get to Biden's first day and then look at the many criminal charges that can be brought against Trump.

To do more in the next 10 days will I fear create even bigger problems.

Edited by Smoggy
10 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

After listening to Pelosi this morning I have changed my mind in the 25th and impeachment.

Only 10 days or so to go, just get to Biden's first day and then look at the many criminal charges that can be brought against Trump.

I agree.......well sorta.......lol.......While under Impeachment my understanding is that Trump does not have the power of pardon....something he has at the minute.   Tbh he cannot be allowed to pardon either himself or those involved. There has to be a consequence for Trump and those that enabled it.

The timeline doesn't favour the Dems at the minute but there are two things they can do. 1) Introduce the articles in the House and vote on them to impeach....that means it goes to the senate, If McConnell won't bring on a vote then .....2) Wait till Wanock and Ossoff are sworn in and they are in control then on the 22nd or 23rd Jan nail the bugger.

Edited by sonar
2 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

After listening to Pelosi this morning I have changed my mind on the 25th and impeachment.

I understand the desire to delay and was on board with that but I heard a few lawyers speaking and the issue with waiting is that the impeachment of a former president has never been done. There are rules regulations for sitting presidents, nothing tried and tested for former. Its a massive risk.

Maybe a censure is an option but that has no consequences, a toothless tiger 

Where and when do they draw the line? Every time he breaks a rule, dismisses the constitution, breaks the actual law with no consequences the more emboldened he becomes. I think doing nothing cannot be an option.

IMO the Republicans should be pressuring him to resign. It shouldn't be the democrats to push impeachment or invoke 25th amendment.  But they (republicans) are a bunch of self serving sycophantic ***** so that aint gonna happen.

26 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

For me he should be impeached to stop him running again in 2024.

And I agree with Sanders.

5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I agree with EmMac if action is to be taken against Trump it should be with Republicans.

The Dems alone over the next 10 days will not play well i think.

It's like asking Morrison or the Liberals to vote against their corrupt ministerial colleagues in Aus.....ain't gonna happen.

From my point of view the House and Senate Repulicans need to be on the record as to whether they defend their constitution or not.

Edited by sonar
10 minutes ago, sonar said:

It's like asking Morrison or the Liberals to vote against their corrupt ministerial colleagues in Aus.....ain't gonna happen.

From my point of view the House and Senate Repulicans need to be on the record as to whether they defend their constitution or not.

Yep I know, it's mostly wishful thinking but its such a stark example of taking the path of political gain/survival over defending democracy and the constitution. 

“Amazon suspended the pro-Trump social-networking site Parler from its web-hosting service this weekend, a move that threatens to darken the site indefinitely after its users glorified the recent riot at the U.S. Capitol.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/01/09/amazon-parler-suspension/?fbclid=IwAR3I2TPPgSiPHgVmDE4KjsPJtMfj7eKBFHnmi15AMR6K_Q0tIkjJxN8p6ds

Anyone seen the excellent documentary, Agents of Chaos, detailing how Russia interferred in the 2016 US election? 

I really recommend it. It lays it all out with many contributors who were involved in the investigations at the time. From the FBI, national security to revealing Wikileaks involvement and Trumps involvement. Jawdropping.

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/agents-of-chaos

Its by Alex Gibney who did the equally excellent doco on Scientology called Going Clear

FML my Facebook has a few people who insist that First Amendment rights mean their free speech is impeded or result to illogical whatnot

Someone is replying, "No, First Amendment means you have the right to speak, not the right to be listened to. In the same way that a newspaper can choose which letters to the editor it publishes, Facebook, Twitter, and the rest of them can choose what they host and what they allow their users to post."

In response either 'nah my first amendment rights' or "yeah well have fun being a sheep to the multinational corporations"

14 hours ago, Unlimited said:

FML my Facebook has a few people who insist that First Amendment rights mean their free speech is impeded or result to illogical whatnot

I worked 10 years for a US telco giant and lived in the US (Ohio) for a significant time. In my experience the US is one of those places all to often put on a pedestal, but once you've had an opportunity to really assimilate into the culture you begin to feel that it's a bit of a "Showbag" (Shiny on the outside - full of sh*t on the inside). 

I'm disturbed by how many people that I once considered very level headed whom are former colleagues and friends that are now people I'm compelled to completely distance myself from.
The saddest part is most of them now live in Australia permanently or have become Australian citizens, providing mindless drivel and opinion from the other side of the earth about how their rights are under attack - all from the comfort of their safe armchairs, all whilst approx 1 American dies of COVID19 every 8mins - which is devastating to hear. As of Dec 2020 you have a 1 in 1000 chance of dying from a COVID related illness in the US

I do not consider these paper tigers patriots, and my cut and paste response to their ramblings is simple - "Go home".

PS. This is my opinion and I respect it may not be the opinion of others.

From a strictly legal perspective, not the same thing but it was humorous to be pointed out that the 2018 gay wedding cake debacle in the US (essentially whether a baker could refuse to make a wedding cake for a gay couple on the basis of it being against their religion) showed that private companies can choose to not do business with certain people.

Now with this Trump being banned on Twitter thing, these supporters now want it the other way where private companies must do business with certain people.

Again, from a strictly legal perspective, different issues but interesting dissonance that was pointed out to me.

• mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic