Jump to content

International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)


wendybr

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, wendybr said:

From the previous page??

What.Are.You.Talking.About??

I think you mean this......

"Hasbro is making sure all feel welcome in the Potato Head world by officially dropping the Mr. from the Mr. Potato Head brand name and logo to promote gender equality and inclusion," the company said. The rebranded toy launches this fall.

( The video is just taking the mickey.....lol )

:D

Edited by sonar
Link to post

Perfect illustration of so called rational thinkers who don't have confirmation bias because they've red pilled jumping straight to conclusions to affirm their own view of the world.

 

Link to post

the irony is of course is that a mr and mrs potato head combo has been the perfect toy for normalising non binary gender and taking down gendered stereotypes got years and years. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Cynth said:

So maybe a little white supremacy....

 

It’s political correctness gone mad when you can’t even post Nazi videos, break into the capital and steal a politicians laptop without the left wing media persecuting you 

I blame students and Hollywood 

Link to post

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but six books published by Dr.Seuss are to be taken off the shelves and removed from publication:
 

What's next?

Link to post

nah I remember reading one of those a few years ago and going wtf, that's just not right....

people have contacted the dr seuss publisher and asked the question, and they've decided themselves, without any pressure, that racial stereotyping is not part of their brand and they are not going to publish chinky chong caricatures in this day and age. 

 

and nobody has suggested all of them are bad. in fact, there is some pretty PC messaging through lots of it. 

Edited by marron
Link to post
34 minutes ago, marron said:

nah I remember reading one of those a few years ago and going wtf, that's just not right....

people have contacted the dr seuss publisher and asked the question, and they've decided themselves, without any pressure, that racial stereotyping is not part of their brand and they are not going to publish chinky chong caricatures in this day and age. 

 

and nobody has suggested all of them are bad. in fact, there is some pretty PC messaging through lots of it. 

decent Twitter thread

 

 

 

Link to post

I note that the free speech brigade has reached its natural conclusion and is attempting to bring in censorship of "woke" views in a number of US states.

Link to post
1 hour ago, marron said:

I note that the free speech brigade has reached its natural conclusion and is attempting to bring in censorship of "woke" views in a number of US states.

Yes apparently it’s justified to control language and education if you are censoring leftist evil views. 

Link to post

It's extremely glib and condescending to suggest that the potential fall of the American Empire comes down to "books with racist cartoons in them not being produced", Mr Potato Head being rebranded or social studies course that involve television shows. None of those three things has any real connection to the power that runs the United States. That is concentrated in the hands of the centre-right neoliberal Democratic Party to the right to far-right Republicans, and the donors who support those two parties. His own video goes into America's crumbling infrastructure, how do those decades of failure have anything to do with "wokeness"?

If there's any responsibility for the 50 years of failure, it's the two parties who continued to practice trickle down economics, destroying the tax base at the top end, exporting as many jobs as possible to countries like China, while keeping American wages so low people can't survive on full time work without government assistance (check out the Walton family fortune's growth), while the Government continues to hand wealth over to the already super-wealthy. The never ending wars and coup financing isn't helping either. No-one being "woke" has caused any of those things.

The US just had an election without a peaceful transfer of power because 40% of the population thinks evil commie Biden rigged all the election results (but not well enough to actually win the upper house, or even tie it until the Georgia runoff). The problems run far far deeper than books or university courses.

Link to post
4 hours ago, Cynth said:

 

 

1 hour ago, mack said:

It's extremely glib and condescending to suggest that the potential fall of the American Empire comes down to "books with racist cartoons in them not being produced", Mr Potato Head being rebranded or social studies course that involve television shows. None of those three things has any real connection to the power that runs the United States. That is concentrated in the hands of the centre-right neoliberal Democratic Party to the right to far-right Republicans, and the donors who support those two parties. His own video goes into America's crumbling infrastructure, how do those decades of failure have anything to do with "wokeness"?

If there's any responsibility for the 50 years of failure, it's the two parties who continued to practice trickle down economics, destroying the tax base at the top end, exporting as many jobs as possible to countries like China, while keeping American wages so low people can't survive on full time work without government assistance (check out the Walton family fortune's growth), while the Government continues to hand wealth over to the already super-wealthy. The never ending wars and coup financing isn't helping either. No-one being "woke" has caused any of those things.

The US just had an election without a peaceful transfer of power because 40% of the population thinks evil commie Biden rigged all the election results (but not well enough to actually win the upper house, or even tie it until the Georgia runoff). The problems run far far deeper than books or university courses.

But but...he didn't characterise China's dominance as simply being about "woke" issues.

There wasn't much in that clip that wasn't fairly accurate, I don't think.

Link to post
52 minutes ago, wendybr said:

 

But but...he didn't characterise China's dominance as simply being about "woke" issues.

There wasn't much in that clip that wasn't fairly accurate, I don't think.

Hi Wendy.  I am gonna break a self imposed rule here and make a comment on non-fooball issues on the forum to say I agree with you.  I watched this video myself today.  I have never listened to Bill Maher before and am still trying to work him out. But, from what I have seen so far he seems to be pretty much calling out all shades of the political spectrum in the U.S.

While on the topic of the apparent relative decline of the USA vs the CCP - I was having a few drinks the other day at the casino and took a look at the TV in the bar.  It was showing an American telecast of something called the 'National Cornhole League'.  Right then I thought to myself that nothing exemplifies better why China might be winning!

Link to post
4 hours ago, mack said:

It's extremely glib and condescending to suggest that the potential fall of the American Empire comes down to "books with racist cartoons in them not being produced", Mr Potato Head being rebranded or social studies course that involve television shows. None of those three things has any real connection to the power that runs the United States. That is concentrated in the hands of the centre-right neoliberal Democratic Party to the right to far-right Republicans, and the donors who support those two parties. His own video goes into America's crumbling infrastructure, how do those decades of failure have anything to do with "wokeness"?

If there's any responsibility for the 50 years of failure, it's the two parties who continued to practice trickle down economics, destroying the tax base at the top end, exporting as many jobs as possible to countries like China, while keeping American wages so low people can't survive on full time work without government assistance (check out the Walton family fortune's growth), while the Government continues to hand wealth over to the already super-wealthy. The never ending wars and coup financing isn't helping either. No-one being "woke" has caused any of those things.

The US just had an election without a peaceful transfer of power because 40% of the population thinks evil commie Biden rigged all the election results (but not well enough to actually win the upper house, or even tie it until the Georgia runoff). The problems run far far deeper than books or university courses.

Mack I think you make some great points but I think Bill Maher’s point points out the consequences of dumbing down a society. I do believe that they have become a silly people, easily led and easily manipulated to think minor things are major things and not knowing what’s going on outside their insular bubble. 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...