International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

I decided that this was a more appropriate place to put this rather than the Squad Development thread. 

I’m not a fan of Hemed’s signing. He may be a decent footballer, but his views aren’t really in line with the ethos of this club. It’s a divisive decision. 

He has the right to be proud of birth-country, but not when that spreads to supporting an expansionist war. Many people were saying “don’t bring politics into it”, quite literally forgetting he already has. 

Not only has he visibly aligned himself with his country at a time when they were bombing innocent civilians, he also isn’t shy about sharing pro-IDF propaganda on his social media pages. I think it’s safe to say his views align somewhat with prevailing Israeli policies. 

Most people upset with his signing are not upset because he’s from Israel or because he’s Jewish, but because of his political views. It’s not anti-semitic to disprove of what Israel is doing and it’s supporters. 

Quite literally, many of you on this forum are close friends or good mates with a Muslim who was the victim of attempted ethnic cleansing and displacement. I assume we also have a fair amount of Palestinian fans. How do you think those people feel when they see a signing who supports those type of policies? A lot of you said “we’re a multicultural club…” etc. Yeah we are, but what about those in our community who have been directly impacted by the actions of people with views like his? Quite a few. It goes both ways. 

It was a shame to read some comments in the other thread. Many very good and faithful WSW fans aren’t pleased and have valid reasons. And others are basically telling them to shut up, stop posting and ignore everything except his footballing ability. 

I would also like to note that I would be saying the exact same thing about any player who supported similar regimes or war criminals. Athletes shouldn’t get a pass for terrible beliefs just because they’re athletes. 

People are probably going to get up in arms about this post and I’m full on expecting this post to be deleted or receive a ban, but I don’t care. 

Trump hhhmmmmm he still scares me ... the way he keeps saying the election was stolen has a fair percentage convinced the uS election process is wrong and with many red states now passing laws to stop voting ... its a worry...

This is an article from fairfax and I assume picked up from a US media outlet but it shows General Milly thinking Trump was trying to do a Hilter... I will post the first bid only as its a long article...

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/north-america/us-top-general-feared-trump-s-election-fraud-complaint-was-a-reichstag-moment-20210715-p58a0z.html 

Washington: In the waning weeks of Donald Trump’s term, the country’s top military leader repeatedly worried about what the president might do to maintain power after losing re-election, comparing his rhetoric to Adolf Hitler’s during the rise of Nazi Germany and asking confidantes whether a coup was forthcoming.

As Trump pushed false claims about the 2020 presidential election, General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, grew more and more nervous, telling aides he feared that the president and his acolytes may attempt to use the military to stay in office, according to a new book titled I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J. Trump’s Catastrophic Final Year by Washington Post journalists Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker.

Milley described “a stomach-churning” feeling as he listened to Trump’s untrue complaints of election fraud, drawing a comparison to the 1933 attack on Germany’s parliament building that Hitler used as a pretext to establish a Nazi dictatorship.

“This is a Reichstag moment,” Milley told aides, according to the book. “The gospel of the Fuhrer.”

A spokesman for Milley did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Portions of the book related to Milley - first reported by CNN ahead of the book’s July 20 release - offer a remarkable window into the thinking of America’s highest-ranking military officer, who saw himself as one of the last empowered defenders of democracy during the tense stand-off between the president and election officials.

The episodes in the book are based on interviews with more than 140 people, including senior Trump administration officials, friends and advisers, Leonnig and Rucker write in an author’s note. Most agreed to speak candidly only on the condition of anonymity and the scenes reported were reconstructed based on firsthand accounts and multiple other sources whenever possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Afghanistan….the Taliban are 150k’s from Kabul and regions falling weekly.

The withdrawal is not quite as visually dramatic as the last helicopter out of Saigon in 1975 but the humiliation and failure is the same. Although with the flights in to evacuate diplomats and interpreters we may well still see a last copter out of Kabul scenario as the Taliban stream in to the city.

Talks between the west and the Taliban did take place, but did they every really think they wouldn’t run riot at the first opportunity.

A new dark age for Afghanistan and another failed western overseas intervention to add to the list.

Edited by Smoggy
12 minutes ago, marron said:

Those interventions reach back to Alexander the Great. Afghans have always known the ferengi fail eventually. 

Yep, British..Russians…..Soviets…all have been there and caused a mess over the last 200 years, and I am sure before that.

But yes, the region has been passed around and fought over for a long long time.

Everyday Afghans deserve better now though.

Seeing the pictures on the news tonight with people just walking on roads with their luggage or literally climbing onto the boarding apparatus to try and get onto a plane... it's so bizarre

I feel so sorry for all of them just trying to make their lives better

I remember reading about **** like this in history class at school but seeing that stuff even happen today is quite depressing really.

1 minute ago, theseeker said:

Smokin' Joe Biden has stuffed this up badly and it's on him. Clueless on how to deal with the real world this old geezer.

You mean like this other old geezer....?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-afghanistan-war-withdrawal/

Mr. Trump said in a statement he believes the U.S. should leave Afghanistan earlier than when Mr. Biden has called for, and took credit for laying the groundwork for American troops to leave the country before September 11, the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attacks that launched the U.S. into its longest war.

"I made early withdraw possible by already pulling much of our billions of dollars and equipment out and, more importantly, reducing our military presence to less than 2,000 troops from the 16,000 level that was there," he said.

In August 1990 the world watched as Iraq invaded Kuwait. I watched Peter Arnott reporting from Baghdad in January 1991. The guns haven’t been silent in that part of the world ever since. 

And now Afghanistan has fallen. The executions will start soon, and the rapes. It will be like Srebrenica on steroids. Heartbreaking stuff. It’s a pity that Rumsfeld died two months ago. At least Bush, Cheney and Howard get to witness the end of the mess they created. 

• mack locked this topic