International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

23 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

When the top end of town by not paying tax, either by avasion or avoidance, and the rest of us have to pay tax, there is most definitely  inequality in Australia. 

That's bullshyte anyway , but  apart from that they employ people who pay tax. How many do you employ.

Social security annual budget of 200 billion. Indigenous 33 billion. 

Oh , the inequality !

1 hour ago, theseeker said:

What inequality in Australia , there is no inequality in this country.

Oh sweetie really? If I thought you might have an open mind, I would bother with this comment but you know....

Questions aloud the following.

Is the USA a capitalist country.... ??????

My answer is no its not.... the USA has a form of corporate capitalism which the spin doctors say is what built the country...

In a true capitalist state you have many buyers and MANY sellers..... eg Farmer Joe takes his produce to a market where many people bid for his produce.

Today however after changes to take over codes and monopolies we have created mega companies .... I think and don't hold me to this but I think Six yes Six companies control over 75% of food distribution and production world over... 

In the USA you have less than 10 media companies of any size ... 

So the USA could stand for the United Corporations of America... 

I don't know the answer but the top 10% of the top 1% in the USA have more wealth than the bottom 50 or 55% of the country I forget which, and the top 1% have more wealth than than the bottom 90%.

IMO the USA today more  reflects Europe in the days when Kings & Queens, with Lords etc ruled the place... 

The incredible skill of ultra wealthy is to convince half the poor people their issues are with the other poor people not them... in fact in you cut my taxes its actually good for you and you will be better off with better schools if you cut my taxes... better still if you cut my taxes and reduce social security to pay for the tax cuts poor people will be better off ... it has always amazed me how in the USA this argument of poor people will be better off by giving the wealthy tax cuts and reducing public spending ...  but both sides do it...

To repeat my question is the USA a capitalist country ??? 

5 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Questions aloud the following.

Is the USA a capitalist country.... ??????

My answer is no its not.... the USA has a form of corporate capitalism which the spin doctors say is what built the country...

In a true capitalist state you have many buyers and MANY sellers..... eg Farmer Joe takes his produce to a market where many people bid for his produce.

Today however after changes to take over codes and monopolies we have created mega companies .... I think and don't hold me to this but I think Six yes Six companies control over 75% of food distribution and production world over... 

In the USA you have less than 10 media companies of any size ... 

So the USA could stand for the United Corporations of America... 

I don't know the answer but the top 10% of the top 1% in the USA have more wealth than the bottom 50 or 55% of the country I forget which, and the top 1% have more wealth than than the bottom 90%.

IMO the USA today more  reflects Europe in the days when Kings & Queens, with Lords etc ruled the place... 

The incredible skill of ultra wealthy is to convince half the poor people their issues are with the other poor people not them... in fact in you cut my taxes its actually good for you and you will be better off with better schools if you cut my taxes... better still if you cut my taxes and reduce social security to pay for the tax cuts poor people will be better off ... it has always amazed me how in the USA this argument of poor people will be better off by giving the wealthy tax cuts and reducing public spending ...  but both sides do it...

To repeat my question is the USA a capitalist country ??? 

Wow.

11 hours ago, Cynth said:

This article I think  has some merit but not really for us in Australia. We don’t do the whole serious guilt trip thing as much here. No white person should feel guilt but they should feel responsibility to understand inequality and implicit bias. There is a history of inequality that has caused the huge income and outcome disparity in the US ( and Australia) and doing something about it takes acknowledgment but not repentance. Understanding and education and conscious change is what’s needed, not claims of “white privilege”, not a lot of white people can relate to those accusations so they only serve to alienate people from the cause.  Basic psychology. :unknw:

Real change means affirmative action though and the same lot that fight the whole white privilege thing also oppose affirmative action. 

Thanks for the thoughtful response. 

🤐

Here's a fanciful claim

McEnany claims US is 'a leader' in coronavirus fight despite rise in many states

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany shockingly claimed that foreign leaders consider America to be a leader in the fight against coronavirus.

“I think the world is looking at us as a leader in Covid-19,” McEnany said during the White House briefing.

In reality, the US has failed to lower the number of new infections, and the spread of coronavirus is on the rise in dozens of states.

The European Union also declined to include the US on a list of approved countries for nonessential travel as the EU starts to open its borders.

1 hour ago, Legionista said:

Unsurprisingly, I’ve already been sent this article already this morning. :rolleyes:

Read it, very interesting analysis of urban structure and it’s impact and influence on society. It also states the changes that have happened to promote communities that are more accessible and focussed on providing a useable environment for people. 

The good news is that women haven’t been twiddling our thumbs waiting for city planners or politicians to solve these problems. In fact, women have been coming up with their own designs for cities and homes for well over a century. In 1889, Jane Addams founded Hull House in Chicago, a social settlement for young, unmarried women and immigrants who needed a safe home and a sense of community.”

This is a typical analysis of the urban environment for an architect. One of many analyses. When an architect designs or studies the urban environment they look through a sociopolitical lens at the community. 

Edited by Cynth
1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Here's a fanciful claim

McEnany claims US is 'a leader' in coronavirus fight despite rise in many states

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany shockingly claimed that foreign leaders consider America to be a leader in the fight against coronavirus.

“I think the world is looking at us as a leader in Covid-19,” McEnany said during the White House briefing.

In reality, the US has failed to lower the number of new infections, and the spread of coronavirus is on the rise in dozens of states.

The European Union also declined to include the US on a list of approved countries for nonessential travel as the EU starts to open its borders.

Is that a recent claim? The administration has claimed that several time previously.

9 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Unsurprisingly, I’ve already been sent this article already this morning. :rolleyes:

Read it, very interesting analysis of urban structure and it’s impact and influence on society. It also states the changes that have happened to promote communities that are more accessible and focussed on providing a useable environment for people. 

The good news is that women haven’t been twiddling our thumbs waiting for city planners or politicians to solve these problems. In fact, women have been coming up with their own designs for cities and homes for well over a century. In 1889, Jane Addams founded Hull House in Chicago, a social settlement for young, unmarried women and immigrants who needed a safe home and a sense of community.”

This is a typical analysis of the urban environment for an architect. One of many analyses. When an architect designs or studies the urban environment they look through a sociopolitical lens at the community. 

Lol...I got sent it too.

Headline was enough to deter me from opening the link.

😆😆

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Here's a fanciful claim

It's a post-truth world, remember, Paul.

;)

Can argue the cause of inequality or even if it is necessarily a bad thing (or outcome v opportunity) but to deny its existence. He’s either trolling a complete moron or both 

Edited by StringerBellend
10 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Can argue the cause of inequality or even if it is necessarily a bad thing (or outcome v opportunity) but to deny its existence. He’s either trolling a complete moron or both 

The self proclaimed " lefty wanker" again. Only post you've made that contains any truth.

Give me some examples of inequality in this country Mr Lefty Wanker.

40 minutes ago, theseeker said:

The self proclaimed " lefty wanker" again. Only post you've made that contains any truth.

Can’t resist. Happy reading Seeker. Hopefully your title is true and you are a seeker of truth. :)

https://www.acoss.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Inequality-in-Australia-2018_Factsheet.pdf

1 hour ago, theseeker said:

Read a newspaper or site you lazy man.

Even the LNP admit there is inequality they just think poor people deserve it and rich people deserve it, to deny its existence makes you look a little bit thick 

like I say you can argue why it is there or if it’s good or not but denying it’s existence is like saying rice doesn’t exist 

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

Meh.

As I said, headline presented as evidence = confirmation bias.

Living space has a huge impact on the way that we live and the structural nature of society.

As a Sydneysider, you know this inherently. The harbour/beaches, public transport links (and lack of them), the de-industrialisation of the inner city, all have led to stratification along socio-economic and cultural lines. The article has a little laugh at itself and some of the artistic discourse around architecture, and then looks at the way that suburbia can reinforce some of the social structures that exist around gender.

1 hour ago, Cynth said:

Can’t resist. Happy reading Seeker. Hopefully your title is true and you are a seeker of truth. :)

https://www.acoss.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Inequality-in-Australia-2018_Factsheet.pdf

Not an independent assessment , written by the activist ACOSS crowd.

Social security is extremely generous , there are a plethora of Anti-Discrimination Boards , Human Rights Commissioner , Equal Opportunity Commissioners , Administrative Appeals Tribunals , Land Rights for Gay Whales Commissioner ......the list is endless.

All staffed by highly paid public servants mostly sitting around twiddling their thumbs because the phone doesn't ring. Got so bad a few years ago that one agency was touting for complaints.

In addition you have the Smith Family , Salvos , Vinnies , Bill Cruisers free restaurant and again a plethora of assistance givers.

One final point , if there is such much inequality why is the Labor Party , the equality party , not permanently in power ?  

19 minutes ago, theseeker said:

written by the activist ACOSS crowd.

:rofl:

Meanwhile..........While Morrison was up on stage doing the seig heil with the protector of the father who abused kids...one Brian Houston.....did Houston tell the PM how Hillsong is rorting money supposed to be used for Indigenous people.....

....and it's from that well know lefty news icon News Ltd.

Edited by sonar
31 minutes ago, sonar said:

:rofl:

Meanwhile..........While Morrison was up on stage doing the seig heil with the protector of the father who abused kids...one Brian Houston.....did Houston tell the PM how Hillsong is rorting money supposed to be used for Indigenous people.....

....and it's from that well know lefty news icon News Ltd.

.......well nobody's absolutely perfect.

But the indigenous do ok , just over 3% of the Australian population and 33 billion in annual Govt . funding not counting other sources of income. Extrapolate that out by the other 97% and that figure more than meets the equality test.

58 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Not an independent assessment , written by the activist ACOSS crowd.

Social security is extremely generous , there are a plethora of Anti-Discrimination Boards , Human Rights Commissioner , Equal Opportunity Commissioners , Administrative Appeals Tribunals , Land Rights for Gay Whales Commissioner ......the list is endless.

All staffed by highly paid public servants mostly sitting around twiddling their thumbs because the phone doesn't ring. Got so bad a few years ago that one agency was touting for complaints.

In addition you have the Smith Family , Salvos , Vinnies , Bill Cruisers free restaurant and again a plethora of assistance givers.

One final point , if there is such much inequality why is the Labor Party , the equality party , not permanently in power ?  

You just moved the goal posts, you are now discussing the amount of inequality. The existence of these charities, free Resteraunt’s etc (That you name yourself) lessen the impact of inequality, but it exists doesn’t it? If it didn’t there would be no need for then (like the Labour Party)

like I say you can debate the extent of inequality, or if it is bad thing, or the cause, or inequality of opportunity Etc but to say there is none is quite mad 

as for asking me to name it, if i do as Cynth has done with a factsheet you will either dismiss it as propaganda or ignore it 

18 minutes ago, theseeker said:

.......well nobody's absolutely perfect.

But the indigenous do ok , just over 3% of the Australian population and 33 billion in annual Govt . funding not counting other sources of income. Extrapolate that out by the other 97% and that figure more than meets the equality test.

What equality test is this? 
there you go moving goal posts again. 

lets humour you and say they do ok? (They clearly don’t) but let’s run with it, would you say the actor Russell Crowe or I don’t know the guy who owns atlassian are they doing ok, or could we perhaps say they are  doing better than ok? Maybe better in financial terms than you or I? 

nobody is absolutely perfect (or maybe we all are?) as clearly we are all absolutely equal 

• mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic