International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

On 08/08/2020 at 9:16 PM, wendybr said:

On 08/08/2020 at 11:46 PM, Cynth said:

Wow. Fascinating and well written article, 

On 13/08/2020 at 2:16 PM, EmMac said:

A fabulous article

On 14/08/2020 at 11:38 PM, Midfielder said:

Words fail me .... one of the best things I have read recently... sadly I doubt it will be widely read... 

For those of you who found that article extraordinary,  here is its author talking on  Late Night Liive.

H does cover a lot from the article, plus some...

Worth listening... to encounter the ideas explored in the article again.

Apparently the article has had many millions of people read it!!

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/the-end-of-the-american-era/12597368

5 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

You got links to those polls?

TWAS om MSNBC youtube ... and was also on a 'The Young Turks" youtube ...

I will see if I can find them but they both have so many youtubes  I will try ...

In-explainable if it continues ... also saw an interesting comparison of conveys of middle eastern  mostly young men flying flags with guns driving to support their cause and that Trump has conveys that look the same...

I think Trump will loose but if he wins ... I have this horrible feeling in my gut .... 

In summary to come to the point the polls still show Biden winning .... but the chaos and the L & O issues he has caused ....  

This is The Young Turk youtube and it refers to the MSNBC and other polls..

6 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

I see that Trump is banging on about a mysterious planeload of shady characters dressed in black intent on causing trouble.....I didn't realise that the RBB was on an international tour of duty !!

Clever ... but he is changing a number of things which in my wildest dreams I ever through could happen in the US.

• A couple of days ago an appeal by the US gove against a Fed court decision pertaining to journalist and the police in teh US. Essentially its always been assumed if you were a boba fida journalist then the police could not arrest or physically handle you... as you would be aware that has happen a number of times recently.. in a 2 to 1 over turn of the decision two Trump appointed judges backed the and said police could treat journalist the same if not worst than other protesters...  like giving the police the power not only to shut down media coverage of an event but to jail journalist...
  • This bit is beyond scary to the power of light years scary... the DOJ [department of justice] which has been stacked by Trump appointees is looking at charging or developing laws to charge the left wing protesters and jail them... essentially jail your political opponents....

Fox news in full support.... why & how Fox are so supportive to me anyway is un-explainable. ..... 

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

German Government says Vladimir Putin opponent Alexei Navalny 'without doubt' poisoned by Novichok nerve agent http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-03/putin-critic-navalny-poisoned-with-novichok-german-government/12623700

Well there's a surprise......you can take the president out of the KGB but you can't take the KGB out of the president..

Just astonishing what the Russian people will put up with really over such a long period of history. 

4 hours ago, Carns said:

Putin is still relatively popular amongst Russians. But those who oppose him don't willingly "put up" with him. Moreso any opposition or protest is crushed with an iron fist.

They regularly beat, jail and even murder people who they perceive as dessenting.

Yes but a majority still seem to keep supporting him as a "strong man" style leader. And this in spite of the appalling treatment of dissenters. It's the template for what so many others have started to follow, such as Turkey, Hungary, the Philippines and the USA among others. But it's been going on in Russia for much longer, arguably back to Stalin and with only a brief respite under Gorbachev and Yeltsin.

1 hour ago, Potkorok said:

Yes but a majority still seem to keep supporting him as a "strong man" style leader. And this in spite of the appalling treatment of dissenters. It's the template for what so many others have started to follow, such as Turkey, Hungary, the Philippines and the USA among others. But it's been going on in Russia for much longer, arguably back to Stalin and with only a brief respite under Gorbachev and Yeltsin.

Agree with all that. Apparently many Russians miss when they had the power of the U.S.S.R and want to return some of the status Russia had as a country then, and admire the strong man tactics.

Obviously it's a more diverse and complicated scenario than that, but at times he's increased his popularity by being absolutely ruthless.

26 minutes ago, Carns said:

Agree with all that. Apparently many Russians miss when they had the power of the U.S.S.R and want to return some of the status Russia had as a country then, and admire the strong man tactics.

Obviously it's a more diverse and complicated scenario than that, but at times he's increased his popularity by being absolutely ruthless.

Fear.

Fear of being whisked away by secret police.,,,,,KGB....   Russia has been ruled by fear. Either from the NKVD or KGB as the instrument. 

https://www.crimemuseum.org/crime-library/international-crimes/stalins-security-force/

Edited by sonar

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8699759/amp/Two-Missouri-men-arrested-AR15s-shotguns-knives-Kenosha.html

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/boogaloo-bois-2-members-charged-with-attempting-to-support-hamas/

These two stories make me think that if Trump loses in November, all hell is going to break loose in the US. Too many loose canons with a bone to pick have been emboldened. :(

• mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic