International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

12 hours ago, Carns said:

Perhaps not outward slinging as yet, but people forming up on their respective sides of the debate and taking jabs at one another.

It's good...innit?

:D :D

PS For all the years of the previous Politics threads...Mack must've permanently had steam coming out of his ears.

Until recently, I didn't realise HOW political he was.

He's probably a paid up member of ANTIFA!

:lol::lol:

15 hours ago, Carns said:

Perhaps not outward slinging as yet, but people forming up on their respective sides of the debate and taking jabs at one another.

The problem with the old thread wasn’t that people took sides, rather that two of those people spent their entire waking lives in the thread and lambasted everyone with differing views to the point where if you happened to go read the squad development thread you’d come back to find 6 pages of people calling you a tree-hugging, candlelight-vigil-going hippy and then if you told them to calm down they’d call you a victim. Then they claimed they liked open debate.

There’s a reason that only about 3 smurf fans ever come to this site - it’s not that much fun for them because it’s all WSW. Likewise the politics thread was all right wing propaganda with some interesting  tidbits thrown in.

A (non) politics thread is fine if there’s a good balance and people are rational and respectful.

e.g. I’d love to hear what “the right” think about the rise of people on the left who can’t stand the current climate of over political correctness, without just saying “I told you so!”

It’d be interesting to see how it fits into their world view, how they think it will play out etc.

11 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

The problem with the old thread wasn’t that people took sides, rather that two of those people spent their entire waking lives in the thread and lambasted everyone with differing views to the point where if you happened to go read the squad development thread you’d come back to find 6 pages of people calling you a tree-hugging, candlelight-vigil-going hippy and then if you told them to calm down they’d call you a victim. Then they claimed they liked open debate.

There’s a reason that only about 3 smurf fans ever come to this site - it’s not that much fun for them because it’s all WSW. Likewise the politics thread was all right wing propaganda with some interesting  tidbits thrown in.

A (non) politics thread is fine if there’s a good balance and people are rational and respectful.

e.g. I’d love to hear what “the right” think about the rise of people on the left who can’t stand the current climate of over political correctness, without just saying “I told you so!”

It’d be interesting to see how it fits into their world view, how they think it will play out etc. 

Re Your initial observations, the secret was not to take it too personally - even when it did seem very personal. It usually wasn't.

you’d come back to find 6 pages of people calling you a tree-hugging, candlelight-vigil-going hippy and then if you told them to calm down they’d call you a victim.

Lololol - meh!

It certainly wasn't ever worth telling anyone to calm down - red rag to a bull doing that!

Anyway....

Yes - the people on the Left who are disenchanted with the influence of the "radical left" is a growing concern.

I think I can guess how it fits into a Right thinking world view  - and it would confirm their beliefs.

I want to know how the Left is going to deal with this - especially in the US. 

Is there anyone credible emerging over there they can turn to for leadership??

49 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

also takes the fun out of the posts...:rolleyes:

I just think it's funny - Mack is looking after these threads - he's taken them under his wing - and sorting things out.

They have been adopted and embraced. :D:D

6 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Every few months we see a variation of this post from one person or another. 

I get it. Repetition is essential to cement the fabulism, I guess.

9 hours ago, wendybr said:

Re Your initial observations, the secret was not to take it too personally - even when it did seem very personal. It usually wasn't.

I NEVER took it personally. My main issue was that they always assumed you took it personally and that the only reason you opted out of the debate was that you were a bleeding heart leftie and couldn’t hack it. 

I just didn’t find it much fun. The same reason I wouldn’t go on the smurf forum. The amount of new stuff I learnt didn’t weigh up against the bullshit you had to wade through.

3 hours ago, Legionista said:

Every few months we see a variation of this post from one person or another. 

I get it. Repetition is essential to cement the fabulism, I guess.

It certainly was.

It's good you finally get it.

Here is a version of a post a supposed right leaner wrote elsewhere (not replying to me, rather to another definite rightie):

I'll never quite get why there has to be such simplicistic boxes to ease understanding of differing opinions/motivations. I have traits from both and weight arguments from both, just as much as you can find evil people in both. I would hate to get into arguments or fights with people I have common ground with, just because they call themselves leftiest and, according to your comment, I happen to be supposedly right-leaning? For ****'s sake, I have my opinion and you have yours, and everyone has theirs. Now indeed, since you have yours, you can consider yourself whatever you want, and can consider me whatever you think I am. But on my side, I don't need to put you in either box. Hence why I don't get the whole thing.

And Legia, why not respond to the second part of my post? What do you think about the supposed rise of lefties who don't like the radical left? (I write "supposed" because these people have always been on the left, contrary to the thoughts of the right. They're now just being heard more because they too are sick of many of the current views that are being classified as left and attributed to them as well.)

• mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic