wendybr

International Current Affairs (Not A Politics Thread) LOL

However bad Trump is and in a rating out of 100 he IMO scores a negative.

But but but, is anyone else getting a tad concerned about China.

Statements like this hhhhmmmm well they don't excite me... and when added to that nut-job in Turkey 

Chairman Xi Jinping isn’t pleased. Despite months of intense practice, his elite marine corps troops aren’t up to scratch. So he’s urged them to “focus your minds and energy on … war”.

During an inspection on Tuesday of China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Marine Corps in Chaozhou City, Guangdong, Xi told his troops: “Focus your minds and energy on preparing to go to war and stay highly vigilant.”

Marines must be a “multifunctional, rapid response, all-weather and region” force, he pronounced. It was their “important responsibility” to safeguard Chinese territory, maritime interests and international interests.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/military/xi-jinping-tells-china-marine-corps-to-prepare-for-war/news-story/2adfa20da8edf1b601fcaf46747860f5

14 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Statements like this hhhhmmmm well they don't excite me... and when added to that nut-job in Turkey 

Chairman Xi Jinping isn’t pleased. Despite months of intense practice, his elite marine corps troops aren’t up to scratch. So he’s urged them to “focus your minds and energy on … war”.

During an inspection on Tuesday of China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Marine Corps in Chaozhou City, Guangdong, Xi told his troops: “Focus your minds and energy on preparing to go to war and stay highly vigilant.”

Marines must be a “multifunctional, rapid response, all-weather and region” force, he pronounced. It was their “important responsibility” to safeguard Chinese territory, maritime interests and international interests.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/military/xi-jinping-tells-china-marine-corps-to-prepare-for-war/news-story/2adfa20da8edf1b601fcaf46747860f5

They're all a worry ( US,USSR,China,India,Iran,Pakistan,Britain,France,Nth Korea...etc )....they all have nukes.....and if push comes to shove.......?

Edited by sonar

13 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Well no and then yes because Scomo keeps us firmly aligned to US instead of keeping us neutral and of course Nukes. China might be an economic power and will take over US but in terms of military strength they don't compete against the juggernaut that is the US especially with all they overseas bases including a few here in Australia.

Please keep in mind this is a newscorp article as well Murdoch doesn't like China and has set the agenda firmly against them.

4 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Well no and then yes because Scomo keeps us firmly aligned to US instead of keeping us neutral and of course Nukes. China might be an economic power and will take over US but in terms of military strength they don't compete against the juggernaut that is the US especially with all they overseas bases including a few here in Australia.

Please keep in mind this is a newscorp article as well Murdoch doesn't like China and has set the agenda firmly against them.

Well no and then yes because Scomo keeps us firmly aligned to US instead of keeping us neutral

So has every other PM, Julia hugely expanded our bases with the US...

China might be an economic power and will take over US but in terms of military strength they don't compete against the juggernaut that is the US

Well China has only been this powerful for a short period of time and to assume, given there recent past they will be better than the US is IMO foolish.

Human rights issues in China are huge.

newscorp article as well Murdoch doesn't like China

Will concede however facts are facts and China actions in the South China Sea is very aggressive nay almost war like 

SPECIAL PERMISSION

Its OK to say the US is bad, nay beyond bad, say anything you want and point that out.... but you can have special permission to look at other countries as well...

No one is saying the US is not bad, but right now China is becoming very very aggressive and not only to Australia.... and to me that is a worry...

1 hour ago, mack said:

It's a military outfit, of course they're going to be told to prepare to fight in a war. That's their job.

Except as a given I oppose many US polices and past actions... but recent Chinese actions on the world stage  warrant  a closer look ... some of the stuff announced recently is beyond scary ... 

1 minute ago, Midfielder said:

Except as a given I oppose many US polices and past actions... but recent Chinese actions on the world stage  warrant  a closer look ... some of the stuff announced recently is beyond scary ... 

As opposed to us,the Brits and the US invading a country to supposedly get rid of WMD's.......and never finding any.....?

lifehack, dont behead people in the name of your imaginary friend and you most likely wont be arrested as often

For those interested in the US election and current polling......

6 hours ago, sonar said:

As opposed to us,the Brits and the US invading a country to supposedly get rid of WMD's.......and never finding any.....?

OK I said I except the US is bad... OK the Brits are bad .... 

Huge mistakes have been made ... 

I opposed the war with the WMD's... from the start... I walked in anti war demo's when I wagged school over Vietnam ...  

However given all that and I believe its worst than you suggest.... I can still think that China is becoming scary... 

I am at a lost to understand your logic...

Are you saying because the US and the West are bad at times ... we can't look at another bad player...

What is the connection between saying China is starting to scare me today with the actions they are taking and its wrong to say that because the US & the West have been bad...

Do you want a post that list all wars and who was at fault from pre Egyptian times ... 

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

Do you want a post that list all wars and who was at fault from pre Egyptian times ... 

Go for it.........:D....and while your at it how about checking out ALL the reprehensible regimes currently in the world....there are more than just China.....and just as scary......and just as bad on human rights.

Edited by sonar

9 hours ago, Midfielder said:

I opposed the war with the WMD's... from the start... I walked in anti war demo's when I wagged school over Vietnam ...  

However given all that and I believe its worst than you suggest.... I can still think that China is becoming scary... 

Are you saying because the US and the West are bad at times ... we can't look at another bad player...

What is the connection between saying China is starting to scare me today with the actions they are taking and its wrong to say that because the US & the West have been bad...

I doubt even that would be enough for him

17 hours ago, mack said:

It's a military outfit, of course they're going to be told to prepare to fight in a war. That's their job.

I hear some of them have been given weapons too 

55 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I doubt even that would be enough for him

Aus and the US and many other countries have allowed a rapid rise in Chinese influence because they sold out their own people at the expense of more corporate profits via cheap labour from Chinese firms. I don't disagree that China is scary but so are many others.

My point was....and still remains.....that there are more than one scary regime in the world and we as a nation are not immune to turning a blind eye to situations or dictators if it  suits an agenda........

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/26/exclusive-cia-files-prove-america-helped-saddam-as-he-gassed-iran/

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/11/08/16/marcos-a-us-backed-dictator-with-charisma

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/10/30/the-united-states-overthrew-irans-last-democratic-leader/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-07-03/awb-deregulation-10-years-after-oil-for-food-scandal/9935308

As you so often say........Balance

Edited by sonar

10 hours ago, Midfielder said:

USA is at its most vulnerable atm due to the virus and culture wars happening. China will be flexing a bit testing the waters they have been gaining a lot of power through economics. Everyone is tense atm in the current environment.

What makes me nervous though is when they ban Aussie products because that makes it harder for us to get out of recession. We are a little over reliant on China since the GFC and it looks as though we have been trying to fix that issue by increasing trade with India

1 hour ago, sonar said:

My cousin fought in Vietnam........another Aus/US misguided military adventure.......

https://www.5rar.asn.au/history/cite_fitch.htm

How did it work for that here. My father in law always went on about how he dodged the draft for Vietnam lol Could you be sent to fight in Vietnam by call up / against your wishes?

6 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

How did it work for that here. My father in law always went on about how he dodged the draft for Vietnam lol Could you be sent to fight in Vietnam by call up / against your wishes?

Conscription........if you didn't go when called you got jailed........my cousin was a conscript.........his injuries eventually killed him.

The war wasn't kind to him. There was a show on Aus TV called "You Can't See Round Corners" which dealt with that exact thing.....dodging the draft.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062511/

it was brave ground breaking television all about a young man who stood up against the authorities at a time when conscription was introduced. At the time many would have seen Shorter's central character as a coward but today I guess we would all see it differently. It was a brave anti war film. We live in very conservative times today with a huge swing to the right so its hard to really say. The acting was very good although it may look a little rough by todays standards. Still I would like to see it again as I would be very curious to see whether or not it holds up.

Edited by sonar

2 minutes ago, sonar said:

Conscription........if you didn't go when called you got jailed........my cousin was a conscript.........his injuries eventually killed him.

The war wasn't kind to him. There was a show on Aus TV called "You Can't See Round Corners" which dealt with that exact thing.....dodging the draft.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062511/

That's ****ed. Conscription in the UK ended with national service for 18 to 25 year olds in the 50's...

2 hours ago, sonar said:

My point was....and still remains.....that there are more than one scary regime in the world and we as a nation are not immune to turning a blind eye to situations or dictators if it  suits an agenda........

Who said there was not...

I an at a total lost...

Given I stated openly in the post the US was bad ... did you want ne to list the bad things...what do you want me to say..

Do I state a post saying China concerns me by opening the post with.

The US have started the following wars.. provide dates, numbers hurt, then follow up with England and how far back do I need to go.

Remember I started by acknowledging the US was bad ..

You said a question of balance... all the posts I have made about the US do I also have to before I post negative things about the US provide China details.

BTW on China... there current actions do worry me ... 

Sometimes I get the feeling some on here play the man not the issue or are so fixed to a certain political view that it shades or imposes itself...  

2 hours ago, sonar said:

My cousin fought in Vietnam........another Aus/US misguided military adventure.......

https://www.5rar.asn.au/history/cite_fitch.htm

My uncle in the airforce, and my cousin a conscript both passed away where in Vietnam ... neither where ever the same...

Tis sad now but my uncle went away a normal person... but on his return his behaviour was difficult, the understanding by the general family was poor as was most at the time and many wanted nothing to do with him... he he died young after he moved to Tassie... 

18 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Sometimes I get the feeling some on here play the man not the issue or are so fixed to a certain political view that it shades or imposes itself...  

Rubbish

If you worry about China or other authoritarian regimes then I see no problem in pointing out that by our own actions....historical actions......re trade/arms.... we enable their rise and militarisation. 

It's only when things turn to crap that people say ......ohhhh they scare me now......give me break......lol

I still remember Howard and his AWB scandal....still enabling Hussein all the while playing the "what a **** of a regime they were." card.

Stop taking people as fools.

Edited by sonar

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

Who said there was not...

I an at a total lost...

Given I stated openly in the post the US was bad ... did you want ne to list the bad things...what do you want me to say..

Do I state a post saying China concerns me by opening the post with.

The US have started the following wars.. provide dates, numbers hurt, then follow up with England and how far back do I need to go.

Remember I started by acknowledging the US was bad ..

You said a question of balance... all the posts I have made about the US do I also have to before I post negative things about the US provide China details.

BTW on China... there current actions do worry me ... 

I get that feeling constantly

Based on current polling I don't think he really has a choice. He needs to land a big shot on Biden or have Biden say something catastrophically dumb in the last debate, something to change things because as it stands he's going to lose.

5 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Sometimes I get the feeling some on here play the man not the issue or are so fixed to a certain political view that it shades or imposes itself.

4 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I get that feeling constantly

Man....or woman! 🤣

Altho these days, there is only one who sometimes does that.

😁😁

9 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Man....or woman! 🤣

Altho these days, there is only one who sometimes does that.

😁😁

Several people

It'd be funny, if it wasn't so sad....

Nice to see him back, altho he still seems to be struggling. :(

1,000,000 views in 14 hours.