International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

Just now, Bones said:

He's got another term yet, to double up on his legacy.

I know a few people who really like Trump purely because he is deliberately confrontational and "bucks the trend" of politicians. They almost admire him because it trolls progressive and left leaning people. Do you fall in to this category?

What is it you admire about him?

Forcing Obama to produce his birth certificate, but being coy producing his income tax statement. Surrounding himself with family members in politics, and taking them to international summits as if the they are Sunday afternoon tea gatherings. White men are good, women of colour are bad, but they do have pussies that might be grabbed. Using social media to bully others. Picking fights with friends and allies. It all sends a message. Promoting "clean coal" while states and business are going renewable. Etc. 

Trump is not the problem though, he is just the visible expression of an at heart selfish, ignorant, greedy, power hungry, uncaring, brutal, inward looking nation. The USA is on the brink of becoming a rogue nation. 

Just now, Bones said:

Yeah half that and half cause he actually achieves things instead of just talking lame smack to get a pat on the back from rich people.

I would argue he talks more **** than most politicians, and is just as in the pocket of the rich and powerful as any other politician (it just might be a slightly different set of rich people).

But I do find it intriguing how different people view the same person's actions in very different ways.

1 minute ago, Bones said:

Yeah half that and half cause he actually achieves things instead of just talking lame smack to get a pat on the back from rich people.

I don't understand how you can say that when he has acted to benefit the rich constantly.....tax cuts to the rich and corporations...did you know more corporations pay NO tax under Trump than ever before? He claimed to keep coal jobs, and more coal power stations have closed under Trump than ever before.... he has deregulated in order to benefit corporations, he has affected the farmers with his trade war and he pays his own companies when he travels to Trump properties. It's so laughable to say he isn't pandering to rich people.

2 minutes ago, Carns said:

I would argue he talks more **** than most politicians, and is just as in the pocket of the rich and powerful as any other politician (it just might be a slightly different set of rich people).

But I do find it intriguing how different people view the same person's actions in very different ways.

The reality is that the question needs to be answered about what makes good but struggling people vote for a man like him, a proven liar, corrupted and unprincipled. Their disenfranchisement is important.

5 minutes ago, FCB said:

Forcing Obama to produce his birth certificate, but being coy producing his income tax statement. Surrounding himself with family members in politics, and taking them to international summits as if the they are Sunday afternoon tea gatherings. White men are good, women of colour are bad, but they do have pussies that might be grabbed. Using social media to bully others. Picking fights with friends and allies. It all sends a message. Promoting "clean coal" while states and business are going renewable. Etc. 

Trump is not the problem though, he is just the visible expression of an at heart selfish, ignorant, greedy, power hungry, uncaring, brutal, inward looking nation. The USA is on the brink of becoming a rogue nation. 

All these examples and yet the lines are drawn. His supporters are unshakeable to a large extent. :sad:

50 minutes ago, Cynth said:

The reality is that the question needs to be answered about what makes good but struggling people vote for a man like him, a proven liar, corrupted and unprincipled. Their disenfranchisement is important.

Well there is a percentage of voters in every country that will always vote one way or another, regardless of the politician or politics involved (Australia is a prime example with compulsory voting and the vast majority of people voting for the same two parties).

In a place like the States, where it isn't compulsory, you've got to really want to vote. And that usually comes about due to personal circumstances or a moral need to do so. It is such a complicated, diverse country. And I am sure you could put 10 Trump (or Obama or Clinton/Sanders) voters in a room and you could get 10 different reasons to vote for each.

Media, education and personal circumstances/history will also play its part.

1 hour ago, Bones said:

I don't think Trump is a factor, if every shooting was done by a deranged Trump fan then maybe so. A lot of those shootings are done by people that are not white and not Trump fans.

He's achieved a lot as president and seems to truly care about the American people (minus the rich Hollywood jerks). I wouldn't be surprised if he was the president who implemented gun control laws.

I would. 

I can imagine only one scenario where that might happen - to reduce the risk of someone shooting him.

21 hours ago, Bones said:

I want based Nigel/ spy back he was cool :)

(No i'm not him lol)

You missed out on him as Zip? He'd mellowed (generally speaking) by the time he morphed into Nigel. :lol:

Annnnd ...why didn't you participate back then?

21 hours ago, Carns said:

Is his splinter political forum still kicking?

Moved onto Periscope...mainly. 

21 hours ago, Bones said:

Does anyone know if it ever kicked lol

Went on for probably 2 years after it was terminated here.....if you meant "kicked on"??

PS It's good to have you wading in here for some debate! :hi:

13 hours ago, sonar said:

The truth never does.

Hmmmm I don't know....

I AM uncomfortable about what my ancestors are likely to have done to contribute to the dispossession of indigenous peoples when they came out (to rural Victoria in the early 1800s). They had a large property around Shepparton in Victoria....apparently. 

I AM very uncomfortable about what European/colonial  settlement has done to indigenous people here and all over the world.

I'm not sure saying "..might set them free from being white  - FINALLY!" is the right way to express it. Everything else was agonisingly articulate and very very powerful...but summing it up like that didn't enhance the message I didn't think. :unknw:

Or might be off-putting to some who otherwise might have been moved by his words.

• mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic