wendybr

International Current Affairs (Not A Politics Thread) LOL

1 hour ago, FCB said:

All sorts of interesting statistics are coming out of the USA:

40,000 road deaths in 2016

40,000 gun related deaths in 2017

52,000 drug overdoses (17.500 prescription drugs) in 2015

20 war veterans committed suicide per day (!!!) in 2014

Three times more police officers committed suicide than were killed while on duty in 2018

45,000 Americans committed suicide in 2016

All those figures are on on rise. Sobering stuff.

Just to put that in perspective. The US has the highest death by gun rates in the OECD by a long shot, the second highest road deaths in the OECD, and has the 8th highest suicide rate in the OECD. (Per 100 000 people). 

They also have the 6th highest income inequality in the OECD. So even though they have the most extremely wealthy people, they also have the poorest (in the OECD).

I’d like to know why they consider themselves the best country in the world. 

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

42 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Just to put that in perspective. The US has the highest death by gun rates in the OECD by a long shot, the second highest road deaths in the OECD, and has the 8th highest suicide rate in the OECD. (Per 100 000 people). 

They also have the 6th highest income inequality in the OECD. So even though they have the most extremely wealthy people, they also have the poorest (in the OECD).

47 minutes ago, Cynth said:

I might be operating on stereotypical notions, but I think they are very insular... and fairly uninformed about most other parts of the world. Plus they are egotistical ... stemming from their power, for a significant period of time.

Also, many  seem defensive and not very self critical.

It's a good question. 

56 minutes ago, Cynth said:

For the same reasons many Australians,Indians,Chinese,English.....etc would think the same thing . Nationalism. I am not one of those that has to drape myself in a flag or colour myself in national colours to respect where I am from and realise that we are not perfect.I'm reminded of a song by VSpy VSpy with the opening lines....

"Well there's nothing good
In morbid nationalism
I got a cynical attitude
About patriotism

Sums up how I feel.

1 hour ago, Cynth said:

There's plenty of correlation between most of those things in the developed world.

Sad!

1 hour ago, Legionista said:

My sides, they hurt. 

You’ve already used that one. 

54 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I’m keeping out of this thread now, but thought I’d drop this in and run

Like a Kenyan Politician 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-49290641?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Sounds like a lot of hot air to me 

Racism detected. 

Huge story this...as mentioned  a few weeks ago.

Attorney-General 'appalled' after disgraced financier Epstein found dead
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-10/jeffrey-epstein-found-dead-in-jail-cell/11402808

Only a day or so ago, Prince Andrew was named by one of the victims...although his name has been linked to JE for a long while...as have so many others of the rich and famous, including Clinton and Trump.

To do him in you mean?

What? - in the home of the brave...land of the free - God's country?

Surely not.

Sad lol.

This goes so far beyond politics. There was a document release yesterday that started to name names. Senators, business people etc. There are more documents to come. Many rich people on both sides and in the community with a lot to lose. Whether he suicided or was murdered is irrelevant. Certainly it was a preventable death that took place in a federal prison under the jurisdiction of the Department of Justice. And now the DOJ want to do their own enquiry. Meanwhile the president is tweeting out conspiracy theories that the Clintons did it! 

The talk of an “elite” pedophile ring has been long talked of. They won’t go down easily. 

More than likely just another one of many suspicious deaths and incidents over more than a century that those with power and connections (including to the intelligence services) will pretend they had no part in - and the media will downplay. it is often said that we should learn from history, but the survivors and winners write it - and not always truthfully! Anyone with a bit more intelligence and appreciation of the frailties of history who questions the standard account, is dismissed as being a 'conspiracy theorist'.

If some major incident occurs that is 'an extremely fortunate occurrence' for some, be it a car crash (e.g. Princess Diana and Jörg Haider), an outright assassination (e.g. the Kennedys) or tragic event  (e.g. the sinking of the Lusitania) you have every right to be circumspect in swallowing the official line.

1 hour ago, mack said:

Yes. It's obvious he was murdered.

Maybe, just maybe, he was a pervert, sociopath and inevitably  coward.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

Maybe, just maybe, he was a pervert, sociopath and inevitably  coward.

He was all of those things but the documents released the day of his suicide revealed there are many others. (Allegedly)

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article233704797.html

Edited by Cynth

Every major war in the last 500 years has been started in result to trade .... this trade war between the US & China is not good news...

Good read and me thinks much of what is said could apply to Australia.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/brexit-is-a-futile-tragedy-that-will-be-reversed-in-a-few-years-20190811-p52g15.html

Brexit represents the catastrophic failure caused by Britain's "unwritten constitution" and a radically unbalanced and unequal federal arrangement (the "union" of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). While the government and Parliament restrained themselves within the conventions, an appearance of normality was sustained.

But when factions on the far wings, right and left, of the main political parties saw an opportunity to seize the agenda on the UK's relations with the rest of Europe, they did – especially on the right. This was the Brexit referendum offered by then prime minister David Cameron to quieten – as he thought – the far right wing of his Conservative Party.

iDespite all the noise and dust, there is no majority for Brexit in the UK. In the referendum the Brexit vote was 37 per cent of the total electorate – 26 per cent of the population – which, by the way the figures for votes cast on the day fell out, gave a 51.89 per cent “win” for Brexit. (Note that had this been the proportion of the total electorate it would still not be enough to trigger vast constitutional change in most civilised states in the world. There are scarcely any where a simple majority, let alone a small one, would permit this: for such a change, a supermajority would be required, of 60 per cent or 66 per cent either of votes cast or the entire electorate.

Almost 5 million people were excluded from the franchise. This included 16 and 17-year-olds, expatriate British citizens who had lived abroad for more than a certain number of years, and EU citizens resident in the UK and paying their taxes there. Almost all of these groups – as we know from polling – would have voted for Remain, giving a pro-EU majority in excess of 54 to 55 per cent.

Moreover, the Leave campaign committed electoral fraud, was prosecuted for it, and has since had to pay fines and costs of almost $500,000. A High Court judge said that if the referendum had not been “advisory only” it would have had to be voided because of these crimes.

Note that Theresa May lost her parliamentary majority in a general election in 2017 trying to get a mandate for Brexit.

What is happening now, with Boris Johnson as the “dead cat” (distraction operation) Prime Minister, is a desperate last effort by the Brexiters to drag the UK out of the EU.

The three years since the referendum have shown a) the extremely serious economic impact of leaving the EU and b) the strength of feeling in the majority of the populace for remaining in the EU.

The Brexiters’ endeavour to use the spurious “mandate” of the referendum to get the UK out has run through three prime ministers, three governments, and a lost election so far; they know if they can’t do it now they never will. It’s their last chance; demographics and history are strongly against them.

Regarding the right: in January 2020 new EU laws come into force stopping EU citizens from holding funds in offshore tax havens. The backers of Brexit are high net worth interests with billions offshore.

Regarding the left: the old unreconstructed 1960s left (than which there is nothing more conservative ... the dull-witted Corbyn et al) sees the EU as a capitalist conspiracy.

If any form of Brexit happens, it will not last. It will be reversed in a matter of a few years at most. Sheer demographics guarantee it: the under-50s in the UK are strong Europeans. So Brexit is futile – but hugely damaging. It is an unforgivable constitutional debacle. But it shows the way to very necessary reform in the politics and constitution of the UK.

The underlying weakness of the “Westminster Model” of parliamentary democracy is a danger to Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, India, and nearly 50 other ex-British Empire countries around the world. The UK is the first to fall apart because it hasn’t papered over the cracks with some constitutional adjustments, as in Australia and elsewhere.

A C Grayling is a British philosopher, author and commentator. His forthcoming book, The Good State, explores the weakness of the Westminster model and its danger to former British colonies and will be published by Oneworld in February.

Posted (edited)

Hong Kong situation taking a dangerous turn? 

Reports of the Chinese military  (and some photos to back this up) moving towards the HK border.

I think (hope) it will all calm down before any intervention. China will only stand off this for so long though, and the goings on at the airport ( if continues as is) could just push China too far...

Edited by Erimus

5 hours ago, Erimus said:

Hong Kong situation taking a dangerous turn? 

Reports of the Chinese military  (and some photos to back this up) moving towards the HK border.

I think (hope) it will all calm down before any intervention. China will only stand off this for so long though, and the goings on at the airport ( if continues as is) could just push China too far...

It’s a worry. 

Beyond interesting and well worth a listen ... nay ... should almost be a must listen...

Did he break his microphone and have to buy a British made one?

He could remake that video about the Republican referendum we had in 99.