International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

15 minutes ago, Cynth said:

I reckon Trump sits right at the top of the authoritarian axis but swings from left to right depending on who talked to him last! :D

There is nothing more authoritarian than accepting an accusation as fact.

Every authoritarian regime has this at its core  

The attack on Kavanaugh had higher authoritarian tendencies than anything that Trump has done. 

Fact. 

20 minutes ago, Cynth said:

I reckon Trump sits right at the top of the authoritarian axis but swings from left to right depending on who talked to him last! :D

He'd be further up and further right than Thatcher. Probably the only major political leader who is further right and further authoritarian would be Duterte in the Philippines.

16 minutes ago, Legionista said:

There is nothing more authoritarian than accepting an accusation as fact.

Every authoritarian regime has this at its core  

The attack on Kavanaugh had higher authoritarian tendencies than anything that Trump has done. 

Fact. 

Hmmm.. I recall Trump being judge and jury on Hilary, and I recall him just this week saying democrats colluded with Russians and I recall Trump saying China is meddling in the elections....I also remember him saying Mueller is compromised and the Trump Russia investigation is a witch hunt....all accusations, he accepts as facts....

All the Kavanagh accusers wanted was a fair and just investigation.

Fact.

Edited by Cynth
27 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Hmmm.. I recall Trump being judge and jury on Hilary, and I recall him just this week saying democrats colluded with Russians and I recall Trump saying China is meddling in the elections....I also remember him saying Mueller is compromised and the Trump Russia investigation is a witch hunt....all accusations, he accepts as facts....

All the Kavanagh accusers wanted was a fair and just investigation.

Fact.

Everything you state there has more meat on the bone than the one you are comparing it to.

You crack me up.

1 minute ago, Cynth said:

Dude, you got Hilary locked up....your tin hats shinier than mine!

If only I could find those missing emails somewhere....

James Comey testified that the only reason Hillary wasn’t indicted was the FBI couldn’t prove intent. 

There is no doubt Hillary had an illegal server that had classifed docs on it. 

Intent is subjective. Fine. I’ll accept that judgement.

In the case of Justice Kavanaugh we cannot even establish that the party that Christine Ford described even happened.

6 minutes ago, Legionista said:

James Comey testified that the only reason Hillary wasn’t indicted was the FBI couldn’t prove intent. 

There is no doubt Hillary had an illegal server that had classifed docs on it. 

Intent is subjective. Fine. I’ll accept that judgement.

In the case of Justice Kavanaugh we cannot even establish that the party that Christine Ford described even happened.

What we know is that Ford is a credible witness..., that they didn't try to establish the facts of what she said through a forensic investigation, like corroborating her timeline with Mark Judges employment at the supermarket, they didn't try to find the location  and they didn't subpoena the documents of her previous disclosures of the events she claims. On top of that there were witness on top of witnesses that could corroborate Kavanagh's drinking, his obnoxious behaviour and his patterns of treating women like **** when he was drunk.

Lists and lists of witnesses that could contradict Kavanagh's claim of being a choir boy and that he drank like a fish and frequently had no idea what he was doing. Strange how they didn't get spoken to. The White House limited the investigation and so you know what? You are right, there is not evidence for the accusation......<shrug>, it's done now...the US made their bed, they can lie in it.

As far as Hilary is concerned, she has been investigated to death and she is not in jail. That's gotta tell you something about tin foil hats. 

7 minutes ago, Legionista said:

The Chinese are just sitting back while Trump hammers them and they are doing nothing to address it. 

-Cynth. 

Only the Russians dabble in acitve measures

-Cynth. 

Huh? I don't recall ever discussing China?

I mentioned that cause Trump hears an accusation that suits him and it becomes fact in an instant. YOU said that was a sign of authoritarianism. 

If he was so concerned with evidence, he would be busy accusing the Russians!

46 minutes ago, marron said:

Into someone who was about to be given a position for life after displaying a fairly obvious inability to be bipartisan. Teehee.

This is the bit that gets me.

I don't really know why people were so determined to get an FBI investigation. We're talking about parties from decades ago, when no-one had camera phones never mind social media. All you're probably gonna get out of this is people's fractured, drunken memories. And as soon as they pushed so hard then it became more about what could be proven of the accusations, instead of his clear inability to be objective.

Anyway, whatever, America's a ******* shitstorm, regardless of their leader.

23 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

How did PC become unbearable? 

The whole “it’s PC gone mad thing”, has been an effective means by right wing media to ridicule and confuse the arguement.

If you substitute it for “a sometimes clumsy attempt to not be an arsehole to people, gone mad”, which it basically is.

Most examples of PC gone mad are either false, taken out of context or confusing Occupational Health and Safety with Political Correctness 

What gets to me is that progressives have let them do it and now everyone goes along with it.

I agree that the "PC gone mad" thing is a weapon used by the right wing.

However, I think that the left has allowed that weapon to be way more powerful than it should be, because there has been an inability on the left to accurately recognise what is and isn't discriminatory. Everytime someone on the left calls something racist when it's not, or sexist when it's not, or discriminatory in any way when it's not, or tries to blame "society" for something biological, or assumes that something exists only because of the "patriarchal society" when it may have eventuated anyway, or puts people down and doesn't listen to their views because of their white male privilege, then the PC gone mad argument grows stronger.

It's the Boy That Cried Wolf effect. If these inaccurate accusations were small and apologised for when they occured, then no-one would care. But they aren't. They happen all the time and people refuse to back down from their thinking, holding on to things in the face of facts or just common sense. You can open the Guardian or Sydney Morning Herald website at any time and see examples of this, with some just ridiculous attempts to call things discrimination, or blame something on male privilege, under the guise of "journalism" (i.e. glorified bloggers).

I think the left is twisting in on itself.

A few years ago, multiculturalism and the "melting pot" was all the go. Now you can't borrow from other cultures because appropriation.

A bit longer than a few years ago, the left was the bastion of free speech. Now political correctness and trying not to offend anybody has taken over, and the right holds the "free speech" higher ground for the most part (unless, y'know, you kneel for the US anthem or use your free speech to criticise the country/army etc).

I think the left is too busy worrying about ensuring everything fits within a theoretical political ideology rather than using some common ******* sense and facts and living in the real world. For what it's worth, I'm sure that the right has its own internal issues, but I can't really comment as I don't associate with its internal machinations. And perhaps (he thinks as he writes this), that is the problem.  Too many people (on both "sides") pointing fingers instead of looking inward. What can I do? What can I change? Not this is what you should do, this is what you should change.

For my part, I have tried to have sensible conversations with people when I hear them banging on about the things I mentioned above, I've also made sly joking comments to lighten the situation e.g. last week at the work lunchtable I lightly chastised a colleague by saying "not everything is mansplaining just because it's a man doing the explaining" when she was laughingly telling us a story where a dude had mansplained to her.  But I had to be very careful (given it was work) to ensure that my comment was taken the right way and I hadn't crossed a line. We've created a world where it's dangerous to debate stuff. And it's the left's hardcore views on this that have created it. You're not allowed to walk close to the line with your comments - even if you are debating the topics!! - in case you offend someone. We're all walking on eggshells when we speak. It's crazy.

• mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic